• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from/to Madrid

sunwanderer

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago
Sep/Oct 2015
Hi,

We plan to start our Camino in Sept. I've read that bus/train connections from Madrid to St. Jean Pied de Port were not very good and the trip might require two days. I've also heard that because many more pilgrims are on the Camino, there are more options.

So, can I take a train all the way to St. Jean? Is there more than one train-to-bus connection available in the same day? What do recent pilgrims recommend?

Likewise, what's a good way to get from Santiago de Compostela back to Madrid, other than flying? Would the train take several days?

What have pilgrims done recently?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bus or train from Madrid to Pamplona, then bus or taxi from Pamplona to SJPP. The bus from Pamplona to SJPP is seasonal, so verify availability for your particular date. If you use the taxi, try to share a taxi with other pilgrims so you can share the cost. An alternative for Pamplona to SJPP is http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html .
Buen Camino.

You can catch the Alsa bus to Pamplona right there at Madrid Barajas Airport. Cheap. Very convenient.

Good place to buy your bus ticket on line would be movelia .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I flew into Madrid, took the train to Pamplona and a hostel in Bizkarette picked me up, fed me dinner and breakfast and put me in a double room (that I had all to myself), drove me to SJPDP the next morning for something like 45e. A fantastic way to start things out.

There is a 5+ hour train from Santiago to Madrid if you want to leave from there. Easy.

After Finesterre I hopped a bus to Porto for a few nights. It is beautiful here. Will catch a bus to Madrid in the morning and fly out shortly.

Buen Camino

Bus or train from Madrid to Pamplona, then bus or taxi from Pamplona to SJPP. The bus from Pamplona to SJPP is seasonal, so verify availability for your particular date. If you use the taxi, try to share a taxi with other pilgrims so you can share the cost. An alternative for Pamplona to SJPP is http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html .
Buen Camino.

I flew into Madrid, took the train to Pamplona and a hostel in Bizkarette picked me up, fed me dinner and breakfast and put me in a double room (that I had all to myself), drove me to SJPDP the next morning for something like 45e. A fantastic way to start things out.

There is a 5+ hour train from Santiago to Madrid if you want to leave from there. Easy.

After Finesterre I hopped a bus to Porto for a few nights. It is beautiful here. Will catch a bus to Madrid in the morning and fly out shortly.

Buen Camino

This is exactly what I am doing in Pamplona the night of September 6th. http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

You can take Renfe train or ALSA bus from Madrid to Pamplona, then CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

There is CONDA bus from San Sebastian to SJPdP, most via Pamplona and one bus via Biarritz.

You can take the Renfe train from Madrid to Hendaye, the SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne, and SNCF train and bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP. Currently the Bayonne to SJPdP leg is train from Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and bus for the rest of the way.

The San Sebastian airport is located about 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye. There are flights from Madrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

We plan to start our Camino in Sept. I've read that bus/train connections from Madrid to St. Jean Pied de Port were not very good and the trip might require two days. I've also heard that because many more pilgrims are on the Camino, there are more options.

So, can I take a train all the way to St. Jean? Is there more than one train-to-bus connection available in the same day? What do recent pilgrims recommend?

Likewise, what's a good way to get from Santiago de Compostela back to Madrid, other than flying? Would the train take several days?

What have pilgrims done recently?

Thanks

Sunwanderer:

You can not take a train all the way to SJPdP. It will not take two days. You can bus or train from Madrid to Pamplona.

By train - depends on which terminal you arrive. If arriving T1 you can take the inter airport bus to T4, then go down to lower level to catch Cercanias train to Puerta de Atocha where you can get the train to Pamplona. Arriving T4 you go to lower level and same as above. There is a RENFE office and you can purchase your ticket to Pamplona there. Sometimes ticket lines are long at the station. You also have the option to take a cab to Puerta de Atocha from either terminal. ( approx. 30 euro's). The train from Madrid to Pamplona roughly 3 hours.

By bus - Pick up bus at T4. Not sure of time or cost but it will go to Pamplona.

I prefer train because you can walk around, they serve food and just more comfortable. The train website is RENFE, The bus is ALSA.

The least worrisome approach to getting to SJPdP from Pamplona is to make arrangements with Corazonpuro.es. They will pick you up at bus or train station put you up for the night, feed you dinner and breakfast and bring you to SJPdP the next day.

Returning to Madrid from Santiago - I take the TRENHOTEL or the over night train from Santiago to Madrid Chamartin station. It arrives Madrid at 8:00am. You then take the Cercanias train to the airport. It runs every half hour.

Hope this helps and enjoy your Camino.

Joe

The train from Santiago to Madrid takes 6 - 10 hours depending on the train schedule.

Sunwanderer:

You can not take a train all the way to SJPdP. It will not take two days. You can bus or train from Madrid to Pamplona.

By train - depends on which terminal you arrive. If arriving T1 you can take the inter airport bus to T4, then go down to lower level to catch Cercanias train to Puerta de Atocha where you can get the train to Pamplona. Arriving T4 you go to lower level and same as above. There is a RENFE office and you can purchase your ticket to Pamplona there. Sometimes ticket lines are long at the station. You also have the option to take a cab to Puerta de Atocha from either terminal. ( approx. 30 euro's). The train from Madrid to Pamplona roughly 3 hours.

By bus - Pick up bus at T4. Not sure of time or cost but it will go to Pamplona.

I prefer train because you can walk around, they serve food and just more comfortable. The train website is RENFE, The bus is ALSA.

The least worrisome approach to getting to SJPdP from Pamplona is to make arrangements with Corazonpuro.es. They will pick you up at bus or train station put you up for the night, feed you dinner and breakfast and bring you to SJPdP the next day.

Returning to Madrid from Santiago - I take the TRENHOTEL or the over night train from Santiago to Madrid Chamartin station. It arrives Madrid at 8:00am. You then take the Cercanias train to the airport. It runs every half hour.

Hope this helps and enjoy your Camino.

Joe
Joe, I'm trying to get more info on the TRENHOTEL night train schedule and costs leaving Santiago the night of Oct 29 to arrive Chamartin Oct 30. Can you give some specifics on how to buy tickets or at least find out prices? If I google for trenhotel and go to http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/larga_distancia/productos/trenhotel.html, click purchase, and then fill in from/to locations and date and click PURCHASE, no schedule or options show up.

Likewise, if I try at https://en.rail.cc/a-coruña-león-za...-921-galicia/night-trains-city/11232/214#rail which takes me to: http://www.acprail.com/train-tickets/renfe#4c52c33892f41&data1=renfe which eventually tells me to call 1-866-938-RAIL (I haven't tried that yet).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Joe, I'm trying to get more info on the TRENHOTEL night train schedule and costs leaving Santiago the night of Oct 29 to arrive Chamartin Oct 30. Can you give some specifics on how to buy tickets or at least find out prices? If I google for trenhotel and go to http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/larga_distancia/productos/trenhotel.html, click purchase, and then fill in from/to locations and date and click PURCHASE, no schedule or options show up.

Likewise, if I try at https://en.rail.cc/a-coruña-león-zaragoza-barcelona/trenhotel-921-galicia/night-trains-city/11232/214#rail which takes me to: http://www.acprail.com/train-tickets/renfe#4c52c33892f41&data1=renfe which eventually tells me to call 1-866-938-RAIL (I haven't tried that yet).
Hi, lendog,
Welcome to the world of RENFE. The schedules are posted and tickets available about 60-90 days ahead of time. If you look at the current schedule, though, you will get an idea of what is likely to be the schedule in late Oct. The night trenhotel has been operating for years, so it would be a huge change for that to be eliminated.

There are private companies, like Rail Europe (and the 866 number you quote above) , which sell RENFE tickets with a fairly hefty service charge, but it may be worth it to you to use them. Using the RENFE website is frequently a frustrating experience. Buen camino, Laurie

Likewise, if I try at https://en.rail.cc/a-coruña-león-zaragoza-barcelona/trenhotel-921-galicia/night-trains-city/11232/214#rail which takes me to: http://www.acprail.com/train-tickets/renfe#4c52c33892f41&data1=renfe which eventually tells me to call 1-866-938-RAIL (I haven't tried that yet).

A bit more looking on caminosantiago.me pointed me to raileurope.com which suggested to put in a date less than 30 days from today to see pricing and schedules. That worked! Does that in general mean you can't get info/booking until at least 30 days prior?

If I try the links in Kanga's post of https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/train-tickets.31505/#post-275402 the "Train Tickets" link doesn't give any more info? Am I missing something?

Hi, lendog,
Welcome to the world of RENFE. The schedules are posted and tickets available about 60-90 days ahead of time. If you look at the current schedule, though, you will get an idea of what is likely to be the schedule in late Oct. The night trenhotel has been operating for years, so it would be a huge change for that to be eliminated.

There are private companies, like Rail Europe (and the 866 number you quote above) , which sell RENFE tickets with a fairly hefty service charge, but it may be worth it to you to use them. Using the RENFE website is frequently a frustrating experience. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie - Lendog

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can usually buy RENFE tickets 60-62 days in advance. You can experiment with this yourself on the RENFE website. When the RENFE site shows that tickets are available, you should try to buy yours. If you can't, your next option is to go to Rail Europe or petrabax.com (reported to be a bit cheaper) and pay the fee.

We have seen the trenhotel schedule updated only 3 weeks in advance of a person's dates of travel. The schedule updates seem to occur mid June, mid September, mid December and early January as you might expect.

Its odd because the schedule doesn't seem to change. You can look at tomorrows schedule and kinda sorta plan for next year.

If you can't find a schedule for your date of travel then wait. The schedule is usually in place 30 days in advance.

Lendog:

I have never had a problem purchasing the ticket once I arrive in Santiago. That is usually two days before departure. There is a RENFE office right next to the Pilgrim office. You could also purchase the ticket in any RENFE office along your walk, ie: Sahagun, Leon etc. if you do not want to wait till the last minute. If you are over 60, you can purchase a Tarjeta Dorada (sp.) card and it will get you a senior discount. There are also a variety of tickets. I usually share a four bed compartment.

Hope this helps.
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I should like to comment on what happened to me when I purchased a bus ticket on the overnight bus from Santiago de Compostela to Terminal 4 at Madrid airport, leaving Santiago at 21:30 Sunday night, November 29th, and scheduled to arrive at Madrid airport at 7:00 am Monday morning. This bus left Santiago on schedule. After a very hot overnight bus ride - Spaniards apparently prefer the overnight temperature to be at about 30 C. - the bus arrived at the main Madrid bus station at about 6:45 am on Monday morning. It terminated there. It did not go to the airport, nor was there another bus to the airport, nor was there anyone from Alsa who could say why my ticket to the airport did not take me there. After about an hour of asking for information from various airport and Alsa staff, I decided to take the Cercania (sp.?) train to Terminal 4, which leaves on line C1 from the bus station. I waited about half an hour for a train, as few go to the airport, which is the last stop on the route. The train trip took about half an hour. I arrived at the airport at just short of 9 am. My flight to Calgary with a connection in London was at 11:45 am, so from this point I was in no further danger or anxiety about missing my flight. I had allowed for extra time because of the possibility of a delay on the bus trip, but I had not anticipated that my bus ticket to the airport would not take me there. This posting is intended as a warning for those who absolutely must not miss a long distance flight as they return home from the camino. Allow yourself hours of extra time; do not assume that buying a ticket to somewhere means that the transportation company will take you there. Make alternative plans. I don't know of any certain way to avoid this kind of problem, short of staying in an airport hotel the night before.

Albertagirl's advice is well taken. I would only add that anyone staying at an "airport hotel" should confirm that the hotel is actually at or even near the airport. Before leaving Santiago, we booked a room at the "Holiday Inn Airport" hotel. We arrived in Madrid by train from Santiago very late in the evening, then took the metro to the airport with the intention of calling the hotel for a shuttle to the hotel from the airport. We found out that not only did the hotel not offer shuttle service, it was several kilometers away from the airport and required a 35 Euro taxi ride to get there. There was a Hilton hotel right across the parking lot from the Holiday Inn which did have a shuttle service, but they would not transport non-Hilton guests. Fortunately we were able to share a taxi back to the airport with another couple from the Holiday Inn, so that ride only cost us 15 Euros.

I should like to comment on what happened to me when I purchased a bus ticket on the overnight bus from Santiago de Compostela to Terminal 4 at Madrid airport, leaving Santiago at 21:30 Sunday night, November 29th, and scheduled to arrive at Madrid airport at 7:00 am Monday morning. This bus left Santiago on schedule. After a very hot overnight bus ride - Spaniards apparently prefer the overnight temperature to be at about 30 C. - the bus arrived at the main Madrid bus station at about 6:45 am on Monday morning. It terminated there. It did not go to the airport, nor was there another bus to the airport, nor was there anyone from Alsa who could say why my ticket to the airport did not take me there. After about an hour of asking for information from various airport and Alsa staff, I decided to take the Cercania (sp.?) train to Terminal 4, which leaves on line C1 from the bus station. I waited about half an hour for a train, as few go to the airport, which is the last stop on the route. The train trip took about half an hour. I arrived at the airport at just short of 9 am. My flight to Calgary with a connection in London was at 11:45 am, so from this point I was in no further danger or anxiety about missing my flight. I had allowed for extra time because of the possibility of a delay on the bus trip, but I had not anticipated that my bus ticket to the airport would not take me there. This posting is intended as a warning for those who absolutely must not miss a long distance flight as they return home from the camino. Allow yourself hours of extra time; do not assume that buying a ticket to somewhere means that the transportation company will take you there. Make alternative plans. I don't know of any certain way to avoid this kind of problem, short of staying in an airport hotel the night before.

Hi, Albertagirl, it sounds like a very unpleasant way to end your camino. I can't imagine what could have caused that mix-up because their website clearly lists T4 as the last stop of that route.

The Cercanias line only runs every half hour, so you must have just missed one, but it is my favorite option for getting to and from the airport if the timing is right.

I will only add that others starting to plan their travel to and from the camino should consider the option of adding the Santiago to Madrid segment to their international tickt (using the "multi-city" or open jaw option). This works best for those using the One World Alliance (American, BA, Iberia and partners). There is a flight from Santiago to Madrid at 9:15 most mornings (not Sunday, I believe), which arrives in plenty of time to transfer to your flight home. And if it doesn't arrive on time, if you have bought it all as one ticket, the airline will have to re-route you. This avoids the hassles and expense endured by albertagirl, and it also removes the need to get an airport hotel the night before, with the problems jmcarp described. I have used this option for the last five years or so, and it works like a charm. If I want to stay in Madrid for a few days before going home, then I'll just take the train down and fly out, but if I'm heading straight home, the easiest way is to add that segment to my ticket. And I have been surprised that it doesn't increase the ticket price that much. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took the train, but has anyone once arriving in Santiago then gotten a ticket to fly to Madrid without prior reservations? I ask because it is very difficult to determine when a person will arrive in Santiago. Most of us pad extra days on our departure flights back to our home countries, so my next Camino will be the Madrid to Leon to Ovidio to Santiago to Muxia. Just not certain the time needed yet.

I took the train, but has anyone once arriving in Santiago then gotten a ticket to fly to Madrid without prior reservations? I ask because it is very difficult to determine when a person will arrive in Santiago. Most of us pad extra days on our departure flights back to our home countries, so my next Camino will be the Madrid to Leon to Ovidio to Santiago to Muxia. Just not certain the time needed yet.

Hi, MT,
My main hesitation with that approach would be that if you buy a separate plane ticket from Santiago to Madrid, the airline for your international trip out of Madrid would not be responsible for accommodating you if the flight from Santiago were delayed. I met someone in Madrid this year who had that experience. She was flying in from Rome, I think it was, her flight was late and she missed her flight to the US. She lost her original ticket and had to buy a new US-bound ticket -- a double whammy since these last minute one way fares are really pricey.

I also pad in those extra days. I'm limited in that I have to figure out a way to spend whatever days are left in Galicia rather than in Madrid, but it works well for me -- in 2016, my extra day plan may be to walk the Inglés -- if I arrive according to "plan" in Santiago, I'll have four extra days and will walk the Inglés. If not, I will just leave Santiago soon after arrival.

If your plan is to use extra days to go to Madrid several days before departure, you don´t have to worry about timing your arrival with your flight anyway, so you can just choose the cheapest last minute option, train, bus or plane. You only need to "lock it in" if you want to arrive in Madrid in time to make a connection for an immediate flight out.
Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. BTW, you´ve got a great itinerary there, I think you'll love it!

I will only add that others starting to plan their travel to and from the camino should consider the option of adding the Santiago to Madrid segment to their international tickt (using the "multi-city" or open jaw option). This works best for those using the One World Alliance (American, BA, Iberia and partners).

Frequent flyers of Skyteam (an Alliance including, among others, Delta, Air Europa, Air France, KLM...), may look to add to their international ticket from Madrid, a flight from A Coruña (IATA code: LCG) to Madrid (or alternatively a flight from Vigo to Madrid). A Coruña airport is less than 70 kms away from Santiago de Compostela and Vigo airport is roughly 90 kms away from Santiago de Compostela. Air Europa doesn't fly to Madrid out of Santiago de Compostela but flying out of either A Coruña or Vigo to Madrid to connect once in Madrid airport with your international flight to your home country might be a better alternative that going overland to Madrid to take your flight home.

P.S.: Those comming from Asia, don't forget that Turkish Airlines flies from Santiago de Compostela to Istambul (not daily but several times per week).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! I'm flying from Finland to Madrid in April 2016. I wonder if there are buses in April that go from Barajas to Pamplona and from Pamplona to St. Jean. I have done the same route (Madrid-Pamplona-St. Jean) by bus some years ago, but it was in June. Are the bus schedules the same in the spring and the summer? Also, the last time I traveled with my dad and he had booked the bus tickets in advance. Is it possible to buy the tickets at the airport?

I wonder if there are buses in April that go from Barajas to Pamplona and from Pamplona to St. Jean.

In theory, the route from Pamplona to St. Jean should start in April but you'll have to wait for confirmation.

Buses from Barajas to Pamplona is sure will be running in April. PLM (http://plmautocares.com) has a direct bus from Barajas to Pamplona (I think that 6 times per week but I'm not fully sure, take a look at their web for confirmation). Alternatively, Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) offers more connections between Barajas and Pamplona but they involve a change of buses in Soria.

Is it possible to buy the tickets at the airport?

Yes for the Alsa tickets (although you might find the bus is already full...). I don't know about the PLM tickets.

Could someone with RENFE experience please tell me is it just too early to be looking at Astorga (to Leon) to Madrid on April 17 on the RENFE website, or do they just don't have train service on Sunday's? I was so hoping to take the train back to Madrid rather than the bus. Thanks!

Could someone with RENFE experience please tell me is it just too early to be looking at Astorga (to Leon) to Madrid on April 17 on the RENFE website, or do they just don't have train service on Sunday's? I was so hoping to take the train back to Madrid rather than the bus. Thanks!

Its too early. I can get Sunday trains to 3 April but not after. Try a Sunday this month to get an idea of the schedule; it usually doesn't change much.

My anecdotal observation is that schedules are usually reliable and fully updated (all trains posted) 30 days in advance of date of travel.

My anecdotal observation is that schedules are usually reliable and fully updated (all trains posted) 30 days in advance of date of travel.
Thanks so much, that is what I was hoping for!! Heading over to see if that plan works.

Bummer, looks like the Astorga to Madrid trains are only late afternoons so I'd miss what I am going back to Madrid for on a Sunday - El Rastro! So I'll be taking Alsa on my return. Another RENFE question since I can't find the answer on RENFE.com. Is there a way to buy my Tarjeta Dorada card in T4? (or online here in the US?) It looks like there is a RENFE ticket machine but I can't find an office.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bummer, looks like the Astorga to Madrid trains are only late afternoons so I'd miss what I am going back to Madrid for on a Sunday - El Rastro! So I'll be taking Alsa on my return. Another RENFE question since I can't find the answer on RENFE.com. Is there a way to buy my Tarjeta Dorada card in T4? (or online here in the US?) It looks like there is a RENFE ticket machine but I can't find an office.

Hi, GreatDane,
In T4, at the entrance to the Cercanías track (the commuter line, which is a wonderful, fast, cheap, new system) there is a RENFE office. You can buy Tarjeta Dorada, you can buy train tickets, and you can get your Cercanías ticket. I've done that three or four times and there has never been any one there except one or two employees, so no wait at all. Where will you be headed? Because if you're going from T4 straight to a fast train, you get the Cercanías ticket for free.

buen camino, Laurie

I can't speak highly enough about the public transport system in Spain - metros, above ground trains (commuter and distance) and short and long distances buses - and all at very reasonable rates. Spaniards take it all for granted but I'm always blown away with how well it all functions. Well, all except for the Renfre website, which remains a puzzle of Gordian complexity.

Where will you be headed?
buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie!!! I'd already found out about the free C1 to Charmartin. I'll be taking the train from T4 to Burgos - Rosa de Lima. The only part of that route I couldn't figure out was how to get the Dorada card first, to get the reduced price ticket to Burgos (and thus get the free C1 ticket to Charmartin) Hoping my flight from JFK will be nice and early like my last camino!! Otherwise I'll have time to kill for a few hours in Madrid and that's not a bad thing but I want to visit my old Burgos neighborhood (from last camino) and maybe retour the Cathedral. When I get to Burgos I'll be stretching my legs walking from Rosa de Lima to my hostel down by the El Cid statue. Safe to walk the 4.6km? Or taxi my best bet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm always blown away with how well it all functions. Well, all except for the Renfre website, which remains a puzzle of Gordian complexity.
I think the Renfe website has really improved since I tried using it in 2014!!

Thanks Laurie!!! I'd already found out about the free C1 to Charmartin. I'll be taking the train from T4 to Burgos - Rosa de Lima. The only part of that route I couldn't figure out was how to get the Dorada card first, to get the reduced price ticket to Burgos (and thus get the free C1 ticket to Charmartin) Hoping my flight from JFK will be nice and early like my last camino!! Otherwise I'll have time to kill for a few hours in Madrid and that's not a bad thing but I want to visit my old Burgos neighborhood (from last camino) and maybe retour the Cathedral. When I get to Burgos I'll be stretching my legs walking from Rosa de Lima to my hostel down by the El Cid statue. Safe to walk the 4.6km? Or taxi my best bet.

Years ago, I stopped walking in Burgos and walked to the train station at night. It's kind of out of town as you undoubtedly know, and I don't remember it being a particularly pretty walk, but it was without incident, at least I remember that much.

[...] I will only add that others starting to plan their travel to and from the camino should consider the option of adding the Santiago to Madrid segment to their international tickt (using the "multi-city" or open jaw option). This works best for those using the One World Alliance (American, BA, Iberia and partners). There is a flight from Santiago to Madrid at 9:15 most mornings (not Sunday, I believe), which arrives in plenty of time to transfer to your flight home. [...]
This is valuable information for which I can vouch, having used the 'round ticket several times. Time tables can change (some flights leave Santiago pretty early, others arrive pretty late:eek:), but the airline makes sure (and is responsible) that you get to their connecting flight to/from Madrid.:p
As far as buses between Santiago and Madrid airport are concerned, one should very carefully check the itinerary when booking.:( Plan for mishaps, though in general the service is really smooth.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I get to Burgos I'll be stretching my legs walking from Rosa de Lima to my hostel down by the El Cid statue. Safe to walk the 4.6km? Or taxi my best bet.

As peregrina2000 mentions, the walk is not particularly pretty. When I was there in April 2014, the 25 or 43 city bus would take you there or back. I asked the front desk at the Municipal Albergue. Coming back into town is easy as there are only 2 pickup points at the train station if I remember. Taking the bus from the city to the station, however, is a different story and I had to ask a helpful local where to catch it amongst the many points near the Cathedral. Luckily the bus driver was patient as we navigated payment and verified in my awful Spanish that the bus was actually going to the train station. I'm sure taxi is fine too, but I like riding public transit and taking it all in.

Buen camino!

[QUOTE="fraluchi, post: 372252, member: 2523"As far as buses between Santiago and Madrid airport are concerned, one should very carefully check the itinerary when booking.:( Plan for mishaps, though in general the service is really smooth.:)[/QUOTE] This year's camino will take me from Burgos to Astorga and then 2 days in Madrid. (1.5 days to play tourist again, plus an early evening metro to my aeroport hotel before my 10:30am flight out the next morning). Same as in 2014. Worked out nice. Plenty of buffer. Funny thing, I noticed that RENFE has an iPhone app so I downloaded it. It allows me to view (right or wrong) schedule info in April but only shows the Alvia high speed trains. The schedule doesn't meet my needs as well but it sure would be fun to travel at 250km/h for a while!

Bummer, looks like the Astorga to Madrid trains are only late afternoons so I'd miss what I am going back to Madrid for on a Sunday - El Rastro! So I'll be taking Alsa on my return.

That would mean to take the Alsa bus departing at 02:15 a.m. what wouldn't allow you too much sleeping (the route to Madrid isn't so long...). The next bus arrives at 14:00 and wouldn't allow you to enjoy much of the Rastro... It seems to me a better idea to go to Madrid the day before.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...It seems to me a better idea to go to Madrid the day before.
I figured that too. I'd made a reservation to treat myself to a room at the Gaudi Hotel in Astorga on the Saturday night but I guess I can cancel that in the allotted time and take the 14:53 train back to Madrid on Saturday. That would give me maybe 6 hours in Astorga to play tourist (I'd already planned on taking the train from Leon to Astorga early Saturday morning).

We are also from USA. A lot depends on how early you land in Madrid. The earlier the better. Also try to land on a weekday..more trains.

I, for one, can not sit on a bus for over 5hours after an all night flight.
We will take a cab to Atoche Train Staion, pick up direct train abt 11:30 am. Arrive in Pamplona at 2:40pm. Then we have arranged for a taxi to meet us at the train station action 100 euros for two. If there are others would be cheaper. We should be in St. jean by 4:30pm.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back