• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2015 vs. 2016

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

I am always looking at the forum stats in January and comparing them to the same month last year, to get an idea for the interest in the Camino year to year... usually it has been a 10-15% growth for the last few year. This has been corresponding well to the increase in compostelas in Santiago at the end of the year.

Between December 18th 2015 and January 17th 2016, visitors to the forum is up 54%, compared to the same period the year before.

I am not saying the we will have 54% more pilgrims this year, but boy will it be busy.

Go "Camino del Invierno" go! :)
Ivar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IF there is a positive correlation between the number of forum visitors an actual caminantes then yes, there will be a burbuja del camino or camino bubble in 2016. Con o sin burbuja (with or without bubble) que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear all,

I am always looking at the forum stats in January and comparing them to the same month last year, to get an idea for the interest in the Camino year to year... usually it has been a 10-15% growth for the last few year. This has been corresponding well to the increase in compostelas in Santiago at the end of the year.

Between December 18th 2015 and January 17th 2016, visitors to the forum is up 54%, compared to the same period the year before.

I am not saying the we will have 54% more pilgrims this year, but boy will it be busy.

Ivar

Impressive numbers - but do these numbers include just flesh and blood human visitors (i.e. not algos, bots, etc)?

WOW!

That suggests of lot of warm fuzzy flesh and blood bodies will be hoofing their way along the camino (s) this year and next

- or maybe the numbers suggest just plenty of "camino voyeurs" - those that are just thinking of doing it but never do

Time will tell I guess

So much for my old prediction that 2015 would be "peak camino"!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not all pilgrims/touregrinos know about this forum.
My wife and I stayed at the wellknown privat albergue Casa da Fernanda on the Portuguese caminho, being invited as their guests from December 24th 2015 till Januari 7th 2016.
Only about 15 pilgrims passed and interviewing them all only one, a Czech lady , had heard of the forum.
We met Brasileans, some Germans, two Czech ladies and some US civilians.One of the Czech ladies walked back from Ponte de Lima after walking a part of the Francès and bussed to PdL to walk back to Porto.

Dear all,

Ivar
It would be interesting to know the percentage increase of cyclists.

I live in a small town, pop. 45000 or so. Plugged into the usual networks: clubs, pubs, art centre, local charities. When I started planning my first Camino in 2010 no one I knew or had any connection with had heard of the Caminos let alone done one. I know or know of three 'locals' who have walked a Camino since me. I know or know of 5 more who are committed to walking this year or next. I get messages left in my local pub: 'could I 'phone X and talk Camino'. The local paper seems to think I'm an 'expert'. The vicar seems to hope this old pagan is getting religion.

All this to say that I don't think that we are anywhere near peak-Camino (pace Jirit) anymore than we are peak-oil. But we better be ready when she comes. It may be that the journey will remain but that the scope for pilgrimage will be constrained. And it may be that that is where the strength and depth of knowledge on this forum will be of most benefit to most members and visitors. Want to unicycle backwards to Santiago in a clown-suit? We can help you. Want to make a contemplative journey on foot to Santiago? We can help you. Want a cheap holiday drinking your way across Northern Spain? We can hell.... Well there always slip-up advisor.

And perhaps Ivar should take the credit here. Perhaps it's not the Caminos but just the excellence of this forum that draws so many visitors.

Many ways are leading to this forum and everyone has his own story, but the growing numbers of visitors is due to the very informative items on this forum, all in the spirit of one big happy family.
I'm only recently here on this forum and I can only witness in this short time that everybody is helping young and old with their "problems", "questions"..."fears" ;)
And all this under the continued commitment of Ivar & the moderators.
More visitors will only bring more visitors spreading the word...for still more visitors and walkers.
Preparing for my CF next year (yes 2017, April, first month of my retirement) gives me more reading time and pleasure of meeting kindred spirits here on this forum.
So more people are hopefully bringing more "input" :)
Looking forward for the next 15m and beyond…

Many ways are leading to this forum and everyone has his own story, but the growing numbers of visitors is due to the very informative items on this forum, all in the spirit of one big happy family.
I'm only recently here on this forum and I can only witness in this short time that everybody is helping young and old with their "problems", "questions"..."fears" ;)
And all this under the continued commitment of Ivar & the moderators.
More visitors will only bring more visitors spreading the word...for still more visitors and walkers.
Preparing for my CF next year (yes 2017, April, first month of my retirement) gives me more reading time and pleasure of meeting kindred spirits here on this forum.
So more people are hopefully bringing more "input" :)
Looking forward for the next 15m and beyond…
Willy, a very warm welcome to you. What a beautiful post. Yes, it's the likes of you that make up this exceptional 'family'. You'll see 'Veteran Member' under my name, but honestly, I still feel very much like a newbie and am often humbled by fellow members, moderators, staff and the like, There is so much to learn and most of it can be found right here. I finished my CF first walk the past Sept/Oct. Like so many others, have not been quite the same since. Although I am planning a coast to coast walk in Scotland this Sept, I definitely will return to the Camino. Wish you Buen Camino.

This is using the numbers without bots (using the filter that Google Analytics offer for filtering out bots). Not sure how effective this filter is, but it is as close to reality that I can get.

Interesting numbers. Here in Australia I am a subscriber to many tourism and trekking newsletters and every one of them now lists a Camino trip. Also the latest Seniors Newsletters have Camino Sarria-Santiago trips features. This would be a 20-30% increase just in this country.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dang, I knew I should have started my camino trips back in the early-mid 1970's when I first heard about them. I too have noticed more press the past 2 years and not just because I've walked the CF. I've always had the travel bug plus used to backpack and hike a lot back in my younger years so you'd think I'd have noticed it in the mainstream press way back. It would make an interesting study.

Holy Moly!
Well, I've also noticed, when booking lodging for my groups, that places on the Brierley stages are filling up much faster.
Perhaps it's the Holy Year . . .but it looks like it could be a crowded Camino this year.

Our thoughts too, especially when booking for this year. We will be staying mostly off the Camino but private accommodation, on both the Norte and Primitivo, looked to be booking up fast. We are so glad that we walked when we did.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As someone planning to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago later this year am I safe to assume that the Camino Frances will see the majority of the increase?

As someone planning to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago later this year am I safe to assume that the Camino Frances will see the majority of the increase?
I can only suggest that this year, you might see significant increases on all the most popular routes. Here in Victoria BC Canada a presentation of the Camino Portuguese has been sold out not once but twice, so they have added a third presentation. A first!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can only suggest that this year, you might see significant increases on all the most popular routes. Here in Victoria BC Canada a presentation of the Camino Portuguese has been sold out not once but twice, so they have added a third presentation. A first!
Jirit, has this presentation taken place at the Victoria chapter of Canadian Company of Pilgrims? I only ask because I live in Victoria and joined the chapter last year, but hadn't heard about this presentation. Having done the CF, I am thinking of another route for 2017.

Pope Francis has proclaimed 2016 as the Year of Mercy. It means to visitors that the main Holy Door will be open in many cathedrals as it was at St. Peter's church in Rome in December. The last time the doors were opened at the cathedral in Santiago was the Jubilee year 2010 when numbers of pilgrims were much larger. Perhaps this Year of Mercy will add to the interest and thus the numbers on the Camino. Elin

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/201...opens_holy_door_at_st_peters_basilica/1192816

Jirit, has this presentation taken place at the Victoria chapter of Canadian Company of Pilgrims? I only ask because I live in Victoria and joined the chapter last year, but hadn't heard about this presentation. Having done the CF, I am thinking of another route for 2017.
Hi Maggie

This is annual presentation done at Robinson Outdoor Store. Normally in the past it has been an evening presentation on the frances route done by somebody locally that recently walked it. Sometimes it is a presentation on another trail. For example my wife and I walked the Via Francigena in Italy and we did a similar presentation a few years ago.

This year the presentation is on the Portuguese route by a local Victoria couple. The February 17 and 24 presentation are sold out but there are now holding a third presentation on the 16th.

The annual day long pilgrim gathering is on Saturday March 26.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Maggie

This is annual presentation done at Robinson Outdoor Store. Normally in the past it has been an evening presentation on the frances route done by somebody locally that recently walked it. Sometimes it is a presentation on another trail. For example my wife and I walked the Via Francigena in Italy and we did a similar presentation a few years ago.

This year the presentation is on the Portuguese route by a local Victoria couple. The February 17 and 24 presentation are sold out but there are now holding a third presentation on the 16th.

Thanks Jirit, yes a friend of mine was one who did one of the CF presentation at Robinson's. I'll check with Robinson's today while I'm downtown. And yes, I knew about March 26 gathering…..and with a new leader, now that Wendy has been promoted!

HI Maggie

I just sent you a private message with the link the February 16 presenation

Cheers

Hi Maggie

Jirit I just called them and am on the list for Feb. I bought most of my gear there; they never asked for email info. Anyway thanks for the info.

Dear all,

Ivar
Ive heard that 2016 is a Catholic pilgrimage year?? So expect large crowds...of course I find this out after we have already made our plans to walk this June.

Ive heard that 2016 is a Catholic pilgrimage year?? So expect large crowds...of course I find this out after we have already made our plans to walk this June.

Yes, that is true, but it not specifically a Holy Year for Santiago de Compostela, it is a Holy Year for the wider Catholic Church, see http://www.im.va/content/gdm/en.html with a lot of participating cathedrals/churches. If and how this affects the Camino de Santiago is anybody's guess. Buen Camino, SY

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best :)
Taking sleeping gear for outside: sleeping bag, mat, poncho/tarp.
Has nothing to do about putting fear in your backpack, just common sense ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm one of the new peeps to post although I've been lurking since May 2015.
For me I feel that this is the premier Camino site. Anything that one needs to know is all here.

Dear all,

Ivar
When is the next holy year, thanks?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is getting scary. An experienced pilgrim here in Northern California is giving presentations at 6 local REI Stores on how to prepare for the Camino. I thought I'd go to tomorrow's presentation to show support - only to find that all 80 slots for the presentation are booked. 80 slots! And 56 people showed up at her last presentation. It will be interesting to see how crowded the VdlP will be in late March when I set out from Sevilla.

Hi bsewall

Are you walking the VdlP again from Seville? or from Malaga?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Getting scared! It's my first camino, and I'm getting really nervous about the bed race. I guess I'll be bringing a real sleeping bag and not just a liner and hope that they'll put some of us up on gym/church floors somewhere.... hopefully! I'm planning for July/Aug so at least those last 100km will be very busy if not the whole Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Getting scared! It's my first camino, and I'm getting really nervous about the bed race. I guess I'll be bringing a real sleeping bag and not just a liner and hope that they'll put some of us up on gym/church floors somewhere.... hopefully! I'm planning for July/Aug so at least those last 100km will be very busy if not the whole Camino.
Hi Tina, I walked my first Camino sounding a lot like you. I carried all my fears which ended up very heavy. Ha ha. I off loaded a lot when I realized the simplicity of this journey. I made it too complicated. You can call ahead and reserve a bed in many of the albergos and if you wish some of the small hotels as well. A second solution if the albergo is full is to get the albergo to find another place for you and take a taxi there. In the morning come back to the first place and there will be no difference in miles.

Since then, I walked the Portuguese and I am walking again this year. That is what one should be fearful of, falling in love with the medative time and simplicity of Camino life and becoming addicted to peace. Best to your journey. Elin

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back