• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino San Olav from Covarrubias to Burgos

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am putting this in the Ruta de la Lana section, but will ask Ivar to make a separate San Olav sub forum if there is enough interest.

I have some questions for the people who know this route.

I will be on the Ruta de la Lana when I leave Santo Domingo de Silos. That route continues to Covarrubias (18 km) which is where the Camino San Olav turns off to take a different and slightly longer route back to Burgos. I was told that the route is marked in the direction of Burgos to Covarrubias, so I will be walking "backwards," which is another argument in favor of my bringing the blasted GPS this year. Accommodation is sparse, so I am trying to get an idea of stages. I have come up with three possibilities of how to walk three days from Santo Domingo to Burgos.

Santo Domingo de Silos to Covarrubias (18 km) to Revilla (34) to Burgos (28)

OR

Santo Domingo via Covarrubias to Mambrillos de Lara (34) to Modúbar de San Cibrián (23) to Burgos (18)

OR

Santo Domingo via Covarrubias to Mecerreyes (26) (staying on the Lana) to Modúbar de San Cibrián (41) (following Alan Sykes' tracks, not part of any Camino for some of the way) to Burgos (18)

It is possible that my distances are off, I am cartographically challenged. :)

I haven't had luck making contact with the Casa Rural in Mambrillos yet, which seems to make the most sense to my uninitiated eyes. But I have heard from a forum member that the casa rural in Revilla is quite nice, as is the one in Modúbar, so I am in a quandry.

Any insight from the veterans here? Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think my wikiloc exaggerated the distance between Mecerreyes and Modúbar de San Cibrián, as I carried on a km or 2 past it, thinking to continue to Modúbar de la Cuesta, before deciding that a casa rural in the hand was worth a probably uninhabited village several km further on in the bush. I had been planning to stay in Revilla del Campo, but the casa rural there (which looked very nice indeed) was full (holiday weekend). It was one of the days when I was half resigned to spending my first ever night in a church porch, but it hasn't happened yet.

I have just heard from the owner of the Casa Rural Rincón de Alfoz in Mambrillos that she will rent rooms to pilgrims for 50€ double, or 25€ per person. Looks like a fine spot on toprural http://www.toprural.com/Casa-rural-alquiler-íntegro/El-Rincón-Del-Alfoz_86105_f.html and gets good reviews. The main advantage of that three day stage, Santo Domingo de Silos to Mambrillos to Módubar to Burgos is that there's a short walk into Burgos on the third day, leaving plenty of time for seeing the sights, etc. And no 40 km stages either!

Ana García Alonso.
El Rincón del Alfoz
Mambrillas de Lara (Burgos)
Tefl. 0034 645 90 00 30

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My 2 cents at this point is your 2nd option. You could easily spin it out to make it 4 days, actually, taking the long way to Covarrubias via Contreras and the BU905 side-tracking to include San Pedro de Arlanza. Then to Quintanilla de las Viñas via Mecerreys--including both the dolman and the dinosaurs. Then to Modubar de San Cipriano and Burgos. A fantastic part of the world!

My 2 cents at this point is your 2nd option. You could easily spin it out to make it 4 days, actually, taking the long way to Covarrubias via Contreras and the BU905 side-tracking to include San Pedro de Arlanza. Then to Quintanilla de las Viñas via Mecerreys--including both the dolman and the dinosaurs. Then to Modubar de San Cipriano and Burgos. A fantastic part of the world!

Viranani, you're supposed to make things easier for me on the Camino not more difficult -- I don't need any more choices!!! Thanks so much for the suggestion -- I did a Google search for San Pedro de Arlanza, wow, that is one impressive ruin of a monastery!!!

Sorry Laurie!! It's just such an amazing and beautiful place. Especially the areas around Quintanilla and across the hills to Covarrubias and SDdS. Beautiful monasteries, history, geology, solitude, and natural beauty...who needs more? Well...I'm left thinking a slower wander is in order for another time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry Laurie!! It's just such an amazing and beautiful place. Especially the areas around Quintanilla and across the hills to Covarrubias and SDdS. Beautiful monasteries, history, geology, solitude, and natural beauty...who needs more? Well...I'm left thinking a slower wander is in order for another time.
Go well, Viranani, looking forward to following more of your camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back