• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to use trekking poles--video

tomnorth

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015)
Here is a link to an excellent short video on how to use trekking poles. The vast majority of pilgrims that I saw on the Camino Francés this fall were using their poles in a manner that gave them no propulsion or shock absorption. This video explains what is effective and why it works. When you're walking 20-30k per day, efficient use of trekking poles can make a big difference.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yep, that's how I use mine. A couple of tips I'd like to add:

When walking on the level it's easy to go too fast, as your feet try to keep up with the swinging motion of your arms. This can put strain on your shin muscles. I've been experimenting with pushing more deliberately from my knees in these cases, instead of pulling with my ankles -- basically using my thighs more than my lower legs.

Some trekking poles nowadays have grips extending down below the top grip. Mine (Leki Corklites) don't, but I wanted this feature nevertheless for short uphill stretches where it's not worth shortening the poles. So I bought some of the tape that tennis players use for their rackets (or maybe it's the stuff used for field hockey sticks -- can't remember anymore, but either will do) and wrapped it round the first 5-6 inches of the topmost sections of my poles. I then secured both ends using reflecting tape for added visibility.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After a few hikes with my new poles awhile ago, I could tell I wasn't using them right. I felt more tired with them than without them. I watched a similar video and saw I was making all the mistakes he mentions. I think the most common mistake I see is using the straps incorrectly. The video I watched had a clever way of "imprinting" the correct strap position: The rabbit (hand) comes up out of the hole and grabs the carrot (grip).

A good video. But I think it still misses a critical point, particularly when walking on level ground. You need to exert force down through the poles. Not just 'hold' them. I'm not sure how this could be measured, but I estimate a 5kg downward and backward force when walking on level ground.

You can 'feel' the boost it gives you....up and forward.....

Remember your physics..... Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. ;)

I always carry poles, for balance and not propulsion. In fact I don't like putting pressure on them with my arms, perhaps because as a woman I don't have much upper body strength and tire easily. And I find I would need to take two steps for every swing of the arms. Time to go the gym and work on those bicepts? I would really like to attend a clinic that would teach me how to use my poles more effectively but without tiring.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The explanations of how to grip the pole, uphill and level techniques are very good, but there are alternatives to the downhill technique that was demonstrated. That is to lengthen the pole enough so that you can maintain the grip around the handle, rather than placing the palm over the handle. I find that this gives greater control over the placement of the tip for each step as well. There is also a recommendation to remove the rubber pole tip. This might be okay on gravel and soil paths, but it is preferable to have the rubber tip fitted on pavement, tarmac, etc.

A good video. But I think it still misses a critical point, particularly when walking on level ground. You need to exert force down through the poles. Not just 'hold' them. I'm not sure how this could be measured, but I estimate a 5kg downward and backward force when walking on level ground.

You can 'feel' the boost it gives you....up and forward.....

Remember your physics..... Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. ;)
Good point. He could have made that more clear. You actually do have to push off with the poles.

I watched a video on some people who hiked the entire Pacific crest trail from Canada to Mexico in record time, and they all used their poles in a variety of ways, including what we are often told on this forum to be "wrong".

Do what works for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good video. But I think it still misses a critical point, particularly when walking on level ground. You need to exert force down through the poles. Not just 'hold' them.

I agree, although if the straps are adjusted to the proper length and are around your wrists the correct way, then the force is exerted by the arm. Otherwise someone might think a strong handgrip and hand strength is needed.

@Anemone del Camino -- I am a weakling, but found that once I understood how to use the poles, they aided my strength, so I felt less tired, not more.

I agree, although if the straps are adjusted to the proper length and are around your wrists the correct way, then the force is exerted by the arm. Otherwise someone might think a strong handgrip and hand strength is needed.

@Anemone del Camino -- I am a weakling, but found that once I understood how to use the poles, they aided my strength, so I felt less tired, not more.

Good point. There should be no stress on the hand/wrist. No 'gripping' required. I found it effortless. No aches and pains.

Then I really need to find pole clinic, but all I seem to find is pole dancing classes. I am told they are not the same ...:rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I did use the poles I didn't find it hard to figure out how to use them. As you go along you find the best grip and pole height and soon you get a steady even pace and you can feel the difference. The problem I had with poles was you feel kinda goofy walking on flat ground for miles on end with them and because of the added body coordination between the arms and your stride quite frankly I just preferred walking without them. I have read it reduces the pressure on your lower joints by anywhere from 3-5% which doesn't sound like much but when you multiply by 500 miles it adds up. I had ankle problems early on in the Camino and my next one I am determined to improve my chances by using walking poles/sticks and reduce my pack weight below 6kgs. For me it was just getting into my head I needed them and then figuring them out was not a big problem. The way the guy in the video went up and down steps seems intuitive to me - to get any benefit from using them.

The problem I had with poles was you feel kinda goofy walking on flat ground for miles on end with them and because of the added body coordination between the arms and your stride quite frankly I just preferred walking without them.
I certainly don't have a problem using them on flat ground, in urban areas, etc, etc. About the only time I will put them away is in really crowded spaces in cities. What always looks strange to me is people who have them stowed on their pack, where they are providing no benefit at all and only adding to the pack weight. That's goofy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.