• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sureste in January/ February.

CliffBarnes

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto x2
Ingles
Baztan
Hello everyone.
I'll get straight to the point. I've a week off work at the end of January and all I want to do is go walking. I've spent the last couple of weeks going through this site and others like mundicamio and I've settled on the the Sureste up to Albacete. Other than a wooly hat , what advice would you give me.

Thanks
Cliff

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Woooooh you have made the right choice!

If I may ask, what made you fall for the Sureste?

I was almost giving up on finishing an account I have been doing about the Sureste, because it takes too much time. However, I do have completed my journal from Alicante to Albacete, so I'll post it here soon and hopefully it will help you a little bit if you would like to see what awaits you.

I would like to go in January as well, just to see what it's like...

Order the credential and the guidebook from Alicante! The guidebook is from 2010 but still good. I found it very useful. For example, distances include the parts you walk in towns and cities so you don't have to wonder how long a stage really is.

Take care

Bad Pilgrim

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, it seems that Lana has one or two stages in common with the Sureste, then going through Almansa on the Levante that you already know... OK, I will just read through my account Alicante - Albacete before publishing... Hopefully before the end of the week...

/BP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Order the credential and the guidebook from Alicante! The guidebook is from 2010 but still good. I found it very useful. For example, distances include the parts you walk in towns and cities so you don't have to wonder how long a stage really is.
Where can I get the guide book, BP?

I've chosen the Sureste cos it seems to be the easiest logistically for a good weeks walking. Direct flight to Alicante on Saturday morning, start on Sunday and then a train at the end from Albacete to Madrid and I'll be home again Sunday afternoon! Then sometime during the year I might be able to sneak in another week and pick it up easily through Madrid. Plus I'm assuming/hope the weather will be dry and mild.

I've chosen the Sureste cos it seems to be the easiest logistically for a good weeks walking. Direct flight to Alicante on Saturday morning, start on Sunday and then a train at the end from Albacete to Madrid and I'll be home again Sunday afternoon! Then sometime during the year I might be able to sneak in another week and pick it up easily through Madrid. Plus I'm assuming/hope the weather will be dry and mild.

Wow, I'll say right away that Pensión Versailles is a good start in Alicante. From Airport to bus stop in Alicante it's no more than 15 minutes by bus. Then, the Pensión is like 5 minutes from the bus stop. Then you have the Basílica de Santa María (traditional starting point) like 50 mtrs away (!) and the first waymarker with "Here starts the Sureste yadda yadda" is no more than 10 mtrs from the door of the Pensión. Right across the street. No need to go hunting for arrows... If you are one lazy Pellygrim like me... It's the easiest start I've had on any Camino, from airport to first step that is! :OD

/BP

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hold on! I'm also thinking of spending a week on the Sureste in mid/late February.
Lots of us await your blog Bad Pilgrim!

Ooooh you're so nice everyone to ask for the journal about my camino. It's really boring to do in retrospective so I was almost giving up on writing. How I wish I had written it as I was walking instead...! :O(

I'm working on it just now, hold on! :OD

/BP

Where can I get the guide book, BP?

I contacted the Asociación, here it is (note email):

"Asociación amigos del camino de Santiago de Alicante
C/ Serrano 5 Bajo
03003 Alicante
Tlf 965 926 623
Email: peregrinos@encaminodesdeAlicante.org
www.encaminodesdealicante.org
Atención al peregrino:
Martes de 17:00 a 19:00h
Viernes de 11:00 a 13:00h"

They sent me the credential as well as the guidebook. Do you speak spanish? I don't know anything about an English version but you can ask them... Spanish version is from 2010.

As I said I really found it useful. Maps are very basic, but there is a "rutometer" with instructions like "At 13.450 mtrs turn right at the little house on your right", "at 13.455 turn left"... so it describes almost every step you take.

Good luck!

/Bad Pilgrim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sadly, the e-mail doesn't work. I even tried the e-mail on their web. That doesn't work, either!
If anyone else knows about ANY guide books/maps it would be appreciated.
Buen camino a todos!

That's strange, I was in contact with them less than a year ago. Try writing Alicante with little "a" in the email address. I've checked my mailbox and it's the right one. I just sent them a new message to see if they reply...

Sadly, the e-mail doesn't work. I even tried the e-mail on their web. That doesn't work, either!
Buen camino a todos!

Oh, you're right - I just got my message back saying that the email doesn't exist?! That's weird. I'll investigate on this, don't you worry...........................

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

No personal experience with the guide but you can purchase a paper one for the Camino del Sureste at: http://guias.editorialbuencamino.com/productos/guia-practica-del-camino-del-sureste

For a free online guide, take a look at www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=57 and complement it with the free maps available at http://caminodelsureste.es.tl

P.S.: If any of you plans to walk the last part of the route (i.e.: between Tiñosillos and Benavente), the brief free guide of Acasse that I quoted on other post might be someway useful too: http://elcaminodelevanteporvalladolid.blogspot.com/p/guia-del-camino-del-sureste-de-accasse.html

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My flight is booked for jan 23 so I'll be able to report back whatever pearls of wisdom I gather along the way for you

Okay,

C Nicholls and C Barnes: Please let us know about your journey. I'd like to hear about weather conditions as I'm longing for a "southern" camino in winter Spain, of which I have no experience!! And Pictures, please! :OD

/Bad Pilgrim

Buen camino a todos!

Paco Serra is the hospitalero (and owner) of the very posh (free) albergue in Novelda. He's a Procurador and the co-author of the guidebook to the Sureste. It's quite a heavy book, and quite out of date, and when I walked the Sureste last autumn I managed perfectly comfortably from Alicante to Almansa without it, at which point I started using a (fairly rubbish) French guide to the Levante.

As far as I can tell, most people do like me and follow the Ruta de la Lana from Alicante to Almansa, rather than the Sureste to Albacete (the Lana and the Sureste split at Villena, with the Lana joining the Levante at Almansa, while the Sureste joins the Levante near Chinchilla de Montearagón) - and in fact Paco himself advised me to do that, not least as there's a very good albergue at Caudete.

Paco Serra is the hospitalero (and owner) of the very posh (free) albergue in Novelda. He's a Procurador and the co-author of the guidebook to the Sureste. It's quite a heavy book, and quite out of date, and when I walked the Sureste last autumn I managed perfectly comfortably from Alicante to Almansa without it, at which point I started using a (fairly rubbish) French guide to the Levante.

As far as I can tell, most people do like me and follow the Ruta de la Lana from Alicante to Almansa, rather than the Sureste to Albacete (the Lana and the Sureste split at Villena, with the Lana joining the Levante at Almansa, while the Sureste joins the Levante near Chinchilla de Montearagón) - and in fact Paco himself advised me to do that, not least as there's a very good albergue at Caudete.

I do think they should do an update of the guidebook (it's from 2010 and there has only been one edition). I noted the differences and will include them in my account of the first week on the Sureste that I'm about to finish. Although I had only one or two observations on each stage so the book is not totally out of date. I don't see that it is any heavier than for example the guidebook of the Levante (from the Asociación) and, as always, you can rip the pages as you go by.

What I liked was that the distance in towns are included in the distance of the stages so you don't have to wonder how long a stage really is. With other guides you can intuitively feel (and physically feel...) that the kilometers aren't correct, but I never felt this with this one. The maps are not enough detailed (Levante guidebook was better in this respect although I know they didn't show much either) but the written directions are very detailed. And there were almost no changes when it comes to waymarking compared to what the guidebook said.

I understand that the Caudete option has become popular. Then you avoid Montealegre del Castillo and Pétrola, which are quite uninteresting villages - and there is no shower in the albergue in Pétrola!

/Bad Pilgrim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My plan is Alicante to Novelda
Novelda to Sax
Sax to Caudete
Caudete to Montealegre del Castillo
Montealegre to Petrola
Then Petrola to Albacete via Chincilla.
I'm goin to use Mundicamino for the history of the villages and Peregrino 2000 gave a couple of links in the Levante section with guides for these stages. The only thing I'm worrying about is the weather and what sort of clothes to wear. I have no idea what to bring.

Yesterday it was 18C in Valencia and currently 15C in Alicante. That seems like very nice temps for walking although could be windy.

My plan is Alicante to Novelda
Novelda to Sax
Sax to Caudete
Caudete to Montealegre del Castillo
Montealegre to Petrola
Then Petrola to Albacete via Chincilla.
I'm goin to use Mundicamino for the history of the villages and Peregrino 2000 gave a couple of links in the Levante section with guides for these stages. The only thing I'm worrying about is the weather and what sort of clothes to wear. I have no idea what to bring.

I just published my stages Alicante - Albacete in this forum. Unfortunately some of the pictures disappear when you convert documents to pdf!! Oh well I know I should've published it in a blog instead...

I would definitely go through Caudete if I did this a 2nd time but as things were, I headed towards Yecla - Pétrola instead...

Anyway...

/BP

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wish me joy .... and no blisters!
Off tomorrow [6th Feb 2016] and have back-up plans if walking isn't an option.
Rather dreading the first day .... 24 kms and no intermediate villages, food or accommodation ....
But God is good ... I will probably survive to tell the tale!
Buen camino a todos!

Stephen,

Have another great journey! Hope the weather is mild for you and your daily stretches not too long. Do take of your feet!
Looking forward to reading all your posts.

Buen camino and as always,
Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

I'm just back from a week on the Sureste. The markings are great and you will not get lost if your paying any sort of heed at all. I got my first stamp at St Mary's Basilica which opened at 18 30. There's a lift up to the castle too along by the beach if anyone has an hour to kill. It's a straightforward hike out of town, just head for the cemetery. From here your in the country following quiet lanes and dirt roads. There are lots of paths in the gorge that you cross on the way to San Pascals cave so keep the eyes peeled. There are great views from the cave but it's very steep coming down so take your time.
I stayed the first night in Novelda. The Albergue has moved to a four bedroom apartment on Constitution Ave and is very plush.
The second day I walked to Sax via Elda. The church Mola, outside Novelda, is worth the detour. When leaving Elda, cross the bridge behind the ruined castle, stay on this road around and under the train tracks and turn right at the BlackSteel factory. Pass the school and veer right just before the hospital. You'll see the pass up ahead so you can go straight up to it or follow the arrows around. Just before Sax you have to cross a stream. It was flooded for me so I just walk up onto the road and walked the last km into town. I stayed at Hotel la Cura at the end of town which offers a pilgrim deal in a three star hotel for 22€.
The next day I chose to go to Caudete, not Yecla. The two routes split at Villena. If going to Caudete leave town passing the bullring and turn left at a couple of small factories . Be careful around here for 500m because of traffic. If the church is closed outside Caudete you can get a sello in the adjoining house. There's a sign in the church telling you this. The Albergue in this town is at the end of town on a hill and it's cool.
The next day I had to carry all food and water but I enjoyed the whole day. Montealegre is a grand , quite tidy town with a nice Albergue too. I got a tour of the town in a car, was shown how to leave town in the morning, shown the shop and dropped back again.
When leaving Montealegre in the morning , leave by the John Deer yard. You can then follow this road for 7km or turn left through winding paths for 9. I tuned left and I'm glad I did too. Later in the day you'll meet a very straight road, very straight! Petrola is a nice little place. Quiet. It has lagoons nearby and load of birds with look outs too. The Albergue is at the church. Since it was only 12 30 when I reached there, and I was feeling good , I decided to restock and head for Chinchilla.
The hike to Chinchilla is straightforward too. Follow the signs until you end up walking near a biggish road. Stay with this track which will then bring you onto the road. Stay on the Tarmac for 1km then left off the road. Here the trail splits so veer right for Chinchilla. I followed the signs all the way to the Cuco bar and then turned left and followed this road to Hostel Volante for the night. To get up to the town use the path behind the garage across the road. This also leads you to San Anton Abad where you'll see tomorrow's arrows.
I really enjoyed my Camino even if I was the only pilgrim on the way. Each town has plenty of shops and bars and the albergues are spotless and comfortable with loads of hot water. There are cool castles to be seen in each town too. Wifi is available at all cafes and bars. Mind yourself coming down from San Pascals and the rest will be a breeze

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
URGENT QUESTION:
1st Day: Alicante to Orito is too far for me at 24 kms.
I have discovered what appears to be a hotel restaurant in El Rebolledo - Hotel Los Granadinos. At 14 kms that would be perfect for a first day's walk.
Does anyone know if it's open, or any other information?
Is it far from the Camino?
THANKS!!

Last edited:
Hola, Stephen! Hotel isn't on booking.com and all I could found is this:
https://foursquare.com/v/hotelrestaurante-los-granadinos/5429d432498ec1f341091a3a
I think it is opened because of the restaurant they also have. Maybe call them and check. As the address says it's on Paseo Mayor, so I guess that's in the centre. Ultreia!
Thanks, KO! Have made a note of their phone number. Will call them when I get to Alicante, unless more info is posted here on the forum....
S
x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The hotel your looking for is about 700 meters off the Camino . 300 meters After you pass a car lot you'll see a small diversion sign for a church . Follow this for 50 meters to the church and turn left. You should see the village in front of you

The hotel your looking for is about 700 meters off the Camino . 300 meters After you pass a car lot you'll see a small diversion sign for a church . Follow this for 50 meters to the church and turn left. You should see the village in front of you
That's perfect information, Cliff.
I'll phone nearer the time to make sure they're open for peregrinos!
My thanks to you and Margaret.
Buen camino!

Wish me joy .... and no blisters!
Off tomorrow [6th Feb 2016] and have back-up plans if walking isn't an option.
Rather dreading the first day .... 24 kms and no intermediate villages, food or accommodation ....
But God is good ... I will probably survive to tell the tale!
Buen camino a todos!
Ok, Stephen,
You now need to start your own thread -- "Stephen on the Sureste" so that we can follow you and enjoy it all vicariously. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok, Stephen,
You now need to start your own thread -- "Stephen on the Sureste" so that we can follow you and enjoy it all vicariously. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie ... probably won't have time to stop at Internet Cafes, BUT ... as you know, I always keep a diary, and take a million pictures, which I publish on my web site, so that will follow eventually.
God bless ....
Hasta la proxima, y buen camino!

Coucou,

So what happened? Are you working on your website mentioned above? Would love to read all about it.

/BP

Ok, Stephen,
Hi Laurie!
Just a quickie to say I had to abandom the Sureste after only two days due to these -
IMG_0515.JPG

I did absolutely EVERYTHING we're told to do to avoid blisters, but I simply have 'princess' feet. I had to get them bandaged in hospital, was told not to walk for four days, then heard the weather forecast .... in the hills on the Sureste, 30 cms of snow!!! I thought to myself.... I'm supposed to be doing this for fun, not a punishment, so hired a car, and drove over to the south-east of Spain where I had lived for eight years, and had a great time renewing old friendships.
OK I admit it - I'm a wimp!

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 1
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did absolutely EVERYTHING we're told to do to avoid blisters, but I simply have 'princess' feet. I had to get them bandaged in hospital
So sorry to hear this Stephen . You've certainly tried everything!
I'm glad you managed to make the most of your time in Spain though.
Never give up though
Buen Camino
Annie

OUCH. I am so sorry to hear this, Stephen. I'm glad you were able to make the most of it reconnecting with friends, sounds like a great Plan B. I remember when I had to stop my Vdlp in Caceres. After a few days R&R so I could hobble on my foot, I took a bus up to Oviedo, spend about a week there, then made my way slowly back to Zamora, Salamanca, Badajoz (a place I had never been), and finally home. It was a great cure for the self-pity that we wrap ourselves in when these things happen. Buen camino, Laurie

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back