• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What difference does a Smartphone make?

Should I take a smartphone?

• Yes

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

Adrian Chaffey

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Frances: July/Aug 95 StJean to Burgos, then March/April 96 Burgos to SdC.
Second (uncompleted): Camino Aragones: Aug/Sept 04 Somport to Burgos.

Third Leon to SdC on Camino Frances March/April 16.
There's a recent thread where a would-be pilgrim discusses the worries of her family about her walking the camino. And there's much talk on it of smartphones, about posting pictures, and GPS and so on - all so that the family can see how she is getting on and they can all stay in touch.

I can't help wondering however whether that will change the experience somewhat - and whether perhaps the experience of being cut off isn't in fact part of the experience, and indeed whether the severing of the normal ties may be precisely what makes the experience of walking the camino what it is. Or at least was.

I say this, despite the fact that having previously walked without a phone (albeit some time ago), I'm going back this year and I will be taking one with me. And I'll probably be looking up all sorts of stuff on it, taking pictures and WhatsApping them to my wife, checking my bank account, picking up emails, and all the other things I do with it. And I'm sure plenty of others will be doing exactly the same.

But I do wonder whether something will be lost. I'll be contactable. I'll still be connected to friends, family, clients and the wider world. Whereas, if I didn't take it, there would be just me and my daughter, the paths, the towns and villages, and the people we meet, both pilgrims and those who live in those towns and villages.

So should I really be leaving that phone at home?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

This question seem to pop up every now and then and I often wonder if the answer is the same as which shoes or socks should you wear... it's a totally personal choice and I don't think that one size fits all.

I chose to walk my camino because I had recovered from cancer and wanted to prove to myself and to the world that I was alive and well... and I really felt drawn to the camino... I had to walk. At no point did I ever consider walking in isolation from my real world; my guess is that even those pilgrims of old may have sent the odd letter home. :rolleyes:

However, I can see that for some folks, being away from everything is really important... so for these people not having a phone is important.

My own little opinion is that you should walk in whatever way you feel is right for you.

p.s. Sorry, I didn't vote because neither response worked for me :)

Without my smartphone, I could not walk the Caminos.
1. My spouse has a chronic health condition, and my aged father lives alone. The phone lets me stay in touch from a distance.
2. The smartphone is my camera and my photo editor
3. The smartphone is my email reader
4. The smartphone is my blog poster
5. The smartphone is my route map
6. The smartphone is my foreign language dictionary, phrasebook, and tutor
7. The smartphone knows all the rail routes, bus routes, connection points and ticket prices
8. The smartphone makes all my lodging reservations, including research and routing so I can find the location
9. The smartphone makes my air reservations, checks me in for flights, and presents the boarding pass
10. The smartphone monitors my financial accounts, pays my bills while away from home, and warns me of credit fraud

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This topic has created some very vigorous debate and often the thread has to be locked. (Searching "phone" gives so many returns that it is hard to find an example.) The discord usually comes because purists, with a specific view of what a pilgrimage should be, collide with individuals who must have one (for various reasons) or else cannot go. The idea that the latter people cannot be having the best experience or a true pilgrimage is very divisive.

Good luck on this thread! I can't answer the survey because I don't know if you should take a phone. Depends on what you want to achieve and how well you are able to manage the pros and cons of either decision. I certainly take one.

If you want to, yes. If you don't, then don't.

Its personal, not rocket science.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am joined at the hip with my phone so leaving it behind would be to much of a challenge for me. But I will deactivate my work e-mail account as not to be stressed about that. I will also turn of all push notifications so that I am the one choosing when to receive information. :)

I belive we all have to find our own way (pun intended).

Personal choice. Very. Depends how 'off the grid' you want to be.

My wife is a worrier and was also caring for her sick father. I needed to be in touch. With her at least.

Anyone else. Tough luck :p Only my wife and my PA had my Spanish phone number. Why my PA? I thought it might also be useful to know if my office burned down or something :rolleyes: She never called....

So I was connected. But I was in control of how much connection I wanted. That's the key.

As others have said, this topic has been very well covered.

I would only say that I do not subscribe to the view that taking a smart phone negatively impacts on your Camino.
I think the purists and the luddites are kind of missing the point with that view. IMHO :oops:

I would hesitate to suggest that a smartphone is a very good idea. Even if it lives in the bottom of your pack for most of the time.

1. It can be your camera (stills and video).
  2. Your voice recorder to capture your thoughts.
  3. A phone in case of emergency. I can just see it now. A broken leg in the middle of nowhere and no one has a phone! I would be seriously pissed off.
  4. A map. In case you get lost. Hard to do of course. But I managed it once. :(
  5. A translator if you are stuck......free apps
  6. Your guidebook (pdf on your phone)
  7. Your torch.
  8. Your weather forecaster.
  9. Your GPS. I used Map My Walk just for curiosity. Rather like on a long drive. How you see distance markers and work out what time you might arrive.....for some mental activity :rolleyes: It never was used to 'target' speed or distance, but just out of curiosity. I wonder how fast or slow I walked today. How far did I walk. Actually became handy in planning my stages. I now know I comfortably walk at 4 km / hr but can if required manage 6 km / hr for a few kms if I had to. And 22 kms is about my maximum distance in comfort. It's also fun looking back at my workouts on the app. It shows maps of where I walked.
  10. You can use it to keep in touch with your Camino family. Ours used Whats App. Where are we meeting for dinner etc? How is Harry, is his leg better? Yes I saw him today....
  11. I booked hotels with it.
  12. Flights with it.
  13. Kept copies of passport etc on it.
  14. Transferred more money with it. (spent a bit too much on Vinto Tinto)
So I'm not really sure of why anyone would walk without a Smart phone. Even if they never ... ever .... took it out of their pack...........

You know what?

The main reason to carry a Smart phone?

For piece of mind. It's there in case you need it........... And it could be argued that as a result you will be more relaxed and hence enjoy your Camino more....

To me it's like carrying a blister treatment kit. I did. And never needed it. So maybe next time I'll leave it at home? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is actually something between having a smart phone and not having one. It is having one but only turning it on (or taking it out of airplane mode) when you want to. There are many benefits of carrying one as noted above but since you have almost absolute control over what you use or not use it for, I see the only benefits of not having one is the weight-saving and lack of recharging issues.

Take your smartphone. It has lots of uses as @Kitsambler and @Robo have set out so well. It will definitely help get you out of trouble in case of an emergency.

It's there if you need it. You get to chose when to turn it on or whether you use it all.

My only advice would be to sort out before you go just how contactable you want to be and communicate this to your family and friends. I made the mistake of being the chronicler and contact for our group of three and posting some lengthy updates to the family and friends of our compañero in the first weeks of our Camino. Even though I kept reiterating that the updates and photos would not be as frequent as we progressed, I was bombarded by anxious emails if I missed a few days, my photos were criticised for not being the ones they wanted etc etc :rolleyes:

Next time....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with @Kitsambler. I ensure that I only use the smartphone privately and not let it's use distract or interrupt interactions with my fellow peregrinos. I keep it on vibrate only. I have been delighted with the combination of GPS, maps.me and Wikiloc. I also seek out local/regional music, download any tracks on iTunes etc and playback while relaxing after each day's walking. I later combine this music with any videos or photos taken on my Camino and then replay my trip on dark winter evenings while planning my next trip!

There is a lot of good information here. IMHO, Kitsambler nailed the concise list of "pros."

In my view, it is YOUR Camino. NO one can tell you what is ultimately good, or best for you. It is an individual and private decision.

From my experiences, I finally realized that having one device to replace the weight, and all the charger, adapter, and cable requirements of having to carry as many as FOUR separate devices (SMS phone, digital camera, iPod Touch, and GPS) actually made sense. So, after my last Camino I decided to just hold my nose and dive in. I bought the new iPhone 6s when it came out this past September. It aptly replaces all the forgoing and leaves me with a single charger and cable. I even bought a Euro-style Apple charger in Spain, so I do not need a plug adapter. Every gram counts, eventually.

However, I am still trying to figure out just how to load and use GPS track files in .kml format with Wikiloc.
The GPS track files in .kml and .kms formats are freely available for all Camino routes, at: http://www.mapacaminosantiago.es/

If anyone here can explain how to load and access the files, I would appreciate it. Yesterday, I got as far as downloading all the .kml files for the Madrid route to Sahagun and the entire Camino Frances. Both Caminos converge at Sahagun.

Now I am trying to figure out how to manage them on my iPhone and actually use them. My hope is that this capability will replace the need for a hard copy guide book.

All this and, and in consideration of what my colleagues offer above, I submit that the critical factor is that the smart phone not rule your Camino experience. You rule the smart phone...;)

What I mean is that, during the day, I recommend you turn your cellular / mobile (voice) service off. People cannot easily call you. They can send you text messages, or e-mail. That should do for family emergencies.

However, YOU decide when and where to review those messages each evening at a specific time, and for a limited duration, when you reach your day's destination. So, you set aside the time while you are waiting to have a meal, or reviewing the next day's route to review incoming e-mail and text. As most places you will stop along the Camino will have free Wi-Fi, you can Face Time, Skype, or whatever have you, if you previously agreed you would do this. You can make voice calls over Wi-FI too. Just remember the tie difference between Spain and home...:eek:

Before I leave on Camino, I always leave a communications plan with my family. This way, they know when I will call on a regular schedule. For example, I mUST call my 83-year old mother EVRY SUNDAY at 12:00 here time. In Spain that means I must call at 18:00.

My family and friends also know how to contact me in an emergency. Aside from the regular contact schedule or emergency provisions, no one should be bothering you. Turn your ringer (and vibration) off for the day.

I also send an advance e-mail to all my regular correspondents before I leave, so they will know I am away on another of my Caminos, and not to include me in "shotgun" group e-mail or messaging. Only one-to-one, high value communications are still on order, for the duration.

Lastly, I set up an "out of office" auto-response on my e-mail accounts, So people writing to me are automatically advised NOT to contact me for the specified period of time.

This seems to work for me.

I hope it helps this dialog.

A key advantage of having a phone is when you arrive at the albergue, find the door closed and see the sign that says to call the hospitalero to ask him to come over and open the door for you. Especially nice to have in the pouring rain, and when really, really, needing to use the loo... :eek:

I used a tablet that I was not familiar with. The lesson I learned was to learn how to use the thing well before the camino. Peg often complained about my playing with it when actually I was swearing at it just trying to do something that should have been simple. You can debate about using smartphones on the camino but there shouldn't be any doubt that learning how to use one on the camino is a bad idea.

Both my wife and I will carry ours. With one of them we will buy a Spanish SIM card for emergencies or calling ahead reservations if needed. When I am hiking I use my phone for photos and videos. I keep it in Airplane mode for saving the battery. If we get to a place where we have WIFI available we can upload photos to the cloud for storage and perhaps Skype my grandchildren.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last time I checked, smartphones all have OFF switches. Use the switch when you don't want to be bothered; otherwise turn it on when needed, then back off again. However, most of us will find multiple uses for them and leave them on. For those of us not raised/reared in the world of modern technology, smartphones can be invasive; for others they seem to be essential to life itself...different strokes for different folks. The suggestion to use airplane mode to save battery power is well taken, but be aware that many apps need the phone to be live for data access ($$$). I still prefer a separate camera, and do not need to be in constant contact with social media, but that's just me.

Like a previous post said, establish a communication plan with whoever you choose back home. I hate hearing stories of family members calling the Guarda Civil because they didn't check in for a couple of days.

take a cell phone (mobil) even if its not so smart :)

zzotte

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I do not own or like Smartphones...but if you are only going to carry one electronic device for cell phone, e-mail, internet, camera, GPS, electronic travel plans, etc...this is a wonderful tool on the Camino...and my favorite feature was the Universal Translator Application I saw used several times along the Camino...basically you talked to the Smartphone in English and it is translated into both written and spoken Spanish...and likewise it is translated from spoken Spanish into written and spoken English...what genius invented this Universal Translator Application and where do you buy it?

Last edited:
what genius invented this Universal Translator Application and where do you buy it?

I have that App. I'm quite sure it is free, as many of them are.....

I just checked my phone. Called 'Voice Translator' and Ye, it's free.

On topic: Do the most obvious thing.
Off topic: How many of you own and use non-smart phones? A rhetorical question so no need to pollute this thread, but I tried finding a decent one for my kids (in Santiago) and none of the three major carriers carried any. I mention it because a regular phone might be a decent way to stay reachable while forcing a digital (fb, gram, etc) disconnect; if they were still available.

You can get un-smart phones at any Movistar shop, but you have to ask for them. They look at you like you're a Neanderthal, but they will sell you one.

I dislike Smart Phones. I will not use one on the camino, I find them way too distracting, and I find many of my fellow pilgrims so buried in their screens that they hardly talk to other pilgrims. I know you have to "walk your own camino," but c'mon. People have managed to do this trail for a thousand years without having a screen standing between them and the experience. If you really want to have "the full camino experience," I say leave the screen at home. Carry a minimal mobile phone if you have pending emergencies. Be here, not someplace else.

IMHO, Unplugged is the only way to really dig into the silence, to really be Here on the camino, the only way to leave Home behind.

You can get un-smart phones at any Movistar shop, but you have to ask for them. They look at you like you're a Neanderthal, but they will sell you one.

Off-topic sorry but it may make you laugh...I had to buy an un-smart phone in Spain (I needed a Spanish number before they would install a fixed phone :rolleyes:). Anyway, phone still in handbag, I am in another shop and ...the phone rings!!!
Talk about Neanderthal.... I had never used an un-smart phone, hadn't had time to read the leaflet so there I was desperately tapping on the screen whilst EVERYBODY stared at me in disbelief....:oops: :D:D I worked it out eventually but oh, the shame!

:oops:
There's a recent thread where a would-be pilgrim discusses the worries of her family about her walking the camino. And there's much talk on it of smartphones, about posting pictures, and GPS and so on - all so that the family can see how she is getting on and they can all stay in touch.

I can't help wondering however whether that will change the experience somewhat - and whether perhaps the experience of being cut off isn't in fact part of the experience, and indeed whether the severing of the normal ties may be precisely what makes the experience of walking the camino what it is. Or at least was.

I say this, despite the fact that having previously walked without a phone (albeit some time ago), I'm going back this year and I will be taking one with me. And I'll probably be looking up all sorts of stuff on it, taking pictures and WhatsApping them to my wife, checking my bank account, picking up emails, and all the other things I do with it. And I'm sure plenty of others will be doing exactly the same.

But I do wonder whether something will be lost. I'll be contactable. I'll still be connected to friends, family, clients and the wider world. Whereas, if I didn't take it, there would be just me and my daughter, the paths, the towns and villages, and the people we meet, both pilgrims and those who live in those towns and villages.

To atone for the sin of being off-topic, I'll at least answer the O.P's question.... I'd take a phone ! (I do on my caminos and I hate phones!)
As previous posters mentioned, the thing CAN (and should, IMO) be turned off! At least it is there if you need it. I once used mine to call for help for a sick peregrina, in the middle of nowhere (That long stretch before you get to Sahagun). She didn't speak Spanish. Of course I could have asked to use someone else's phone (plenty of pilgrims -in fact all! - that passed us asked if they could help. But I can't help feeling it's like not taking any first aid and relying on others for plasters etc...

Whether it's a smart phone or an old-fashioned mobile, up to you, whatever you're comfortable with. Make sure you know how to use it though :oops: :D

Oh, and buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a smart phone. The trouble is, it is a lot smarter than me. I am terrified of it. So for my camino I will revert to the old fashioned type that will make phone calls and send texts. That's all, and that's all I need.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

:oops:
I once used mine to call for help for a sick peregrina, in the middle of nowhere (That long stretch before you get to Sahagun).

To become off-off topic, that "stretch in the middle of nowhere before you get to Sahagun" is exactly where I live.
It is not "the middle of nowhere," sir.
It is "the middle of Everywhere."

Sorry, didn't mean to offend! :) What I meant was.... There was nowhere for kilometres to go to for help hence the need for a phone call....that longish stretch between Carrion and Calzadilla.

Last edited:
IMHO, Unplugged is the only way to really dig into the silence, to really be Here on the camino.
@Reb You have a very valid point here. If I had my druthers, my life situation would allow this. Unfortunately, it does not. So I have to apply some discipline about screen use in order to preserve that silence, that opportunity for spiritual experience. It's a practice.

Ahhh, just bring it.
It's weight and size negligible, and anyone who thinks that by not bringing one they are "jumping off the grid" of sorts while on the Camino is fooling themselves a bit. Not very un-grid-like staying in an albergue or pensiones with all the modern trappings, not to mention the modern airplane, train or bus that got you there.
Besides, like others have said on here, if anything you can use it as just a camera.

Can't help thinking the forum should have a section for topics that have been beaten like a dead horse :eek:. New forum members would only have access to that section for 2 weeks before accessing the rest of "wealth of knowlwdge". o_O

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Like everything in life things change, we now have smartphones. Let's use the technology we have today. I have read many times on this forum, it is your camino, do as you want not as all the others. Hundreds of years ago there was no cars or buses people walked the whole way. Now people are taking transport for certain 'boring' sections. Does it matter? no it is your camino. Consider putting aside 30 minutes everyday using your smartphone. You will still communicate with those around you and I hope enjoy every minute including those on your phone.

Buen Camino

Hi Adrian, it's your choice alone, if you want to take a smart phone with you or not .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's 2016, take your smart phone with you.

Can't help thinking the forum should have a section for topics that have been beaten like a dead horse :eek:. New forum members would only have access to that section for 2 weeks before accessing the rest of "wealth of knowlwdge". o_O
I think the FAQ section could do with an upgrade and a more prominent place.
Cant even say how many times ive see the question, should i bring a sleepingbag in "month". Thats an FAQ, but there is no topic there.
Thats just one example.

One the other hand, there is a topic in there on How much does a camino cost, but still this question gets asked a million times also.

Upgrade/change the faq...it might help or do people really think their question about camino cost for example is really that different from any one elses? Like this phone topic. Hmmm..

To become off-off topic, that "stretch in the middle of nowhere before you get to Sahagun" is exactly where I live.
It is not "the middle of nowhere," sir.
It is "the middle of Everywhere."
Touché ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Other things I consider include the pre- and post-Camino, or touring during as we intend to do. My husband had a great app on his phone (don't know the name, but I can check if anyone is interested) that he could view printed material (a shop sign, or instructions) and it would translate the text - just about any language including Galician. Very handy for museums that might not have English or French info posted.

off couse - no phone, be alone on your one. Keep it simple.

Even if a pilgrim feels the need to be cut off from technology, the need to be in touch can be very important for those left at home. Perhaps a good compromise would be to tell friends and family back home that you do not wish to be distracted by email, text, and phone calls during the day while you're walking so you plan to keep your phone turned off; however, you will check your messages and voice mails in the afternoon or evening and will respond at that time (assuming that time is compatible with time zone differences for those of us from across oceans or continents). You can also assure them that you will call home on a mutually agreed periodic basis to check in. Setting up a group email or text group will simply routine updates, as will (heaven forbid ;) ) a post on Facebook or other social media.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Of course, sometimes nothing will appease people at home when they're worried. There was an earthquake when we were in Costa Rica, and what did my sister do? Called the embassy over and over again, instead of just calling our cell (which we had with us).

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.