Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking primitivo june 2016

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi, anyone walking the primativo next june?, or anyone have any tips? Please post.

I hope to be on the Primitivo sometime in June, but as I'm walking from Geneva anything can (and probably will) happen. I walked the Primitivo this year in July. It was stunning. My main advice would be to definitely walk the Hospitales option as it so beautiful, and if you do take plenty of water, (me and my walking companion misjudged and ran out near the end on a boiling hot day).

Oh, and if you have an extra six days start in Leon and walk the San Salvador to Oviedo too!

Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning to do the Norte/Primitivo starting in Irun in late May. My dates have not been completely settled yet but I plan to fly from Vancouver to Madrid and then train to Irun. I did the Frances route last year. Any advice?

My current plans are to walk the Norte from Santander sometime at the start of April, then branch off on to the Primitivo.

I am still working out the logistics of it all, which is probably more hassle than the walk.

Good luck on your walk.

I'm thinking about the Salvador and Primitivo next May. We'll see!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I am planning to do the Norte/Primitivo starting in Irun in late May. My dates have not been completely settled yet but I plan to fly from Vancouver to Madrid and then train to Irun. I did the Frances route last year. Any advice?
Hola !Left Coaster
Well since you're an old hand now, having done the Camino Frances already.
It's another way to Santiago , but different !
If you haven't already booked train to Irun , give yourself time - that would be the best tip -
If you have time - take it slow at the beginning, spend a day or more in Madrid. If not there, then try not to rush the first 5 days as they are very much up and down. It's quite achievable, but can take its toll if you rush it, depending on your level of fitness. quite taxing if it's hot ! Hence I did the Salvador/Primitivo in late Apr/early May this year. Much nicer.
The Norte and views are magnificent. Not as busy as the Frances but I found there were plenty walking in sept/oct 14.
I didn't rush to San Sebastián first day but split it and stopped at the alburgue at Pasajes' - Its only small so may fill up early. this will give you time to walk out to the end of Pasajes de San Juan and partake of a vino out there also., watch the boating etc. In the morning a cute little boat will ferry you across to the other side for a small payment.
If you're not into stopping in the bigger places , you could check out San Sebastián and walk on to a lovely alburgue at Orio. It includes dinner and breakfast if you want it but the position of this alburgue gives you some lovely views. And it goes on. Better and better.

Once arrived in Oviedo, for the beginning of your Primitivo section. I'd recommend you investigate some of the threads on this forum regarding places to stay in Oviedo. Also if you can manage it - have a break there (2 nights) so you can really get to see it with fresh eyes.
There are the Heritage listed sites /Naranco a few Ks out of the main city. In the city there is so much to check out, not least being the magnificent 'Catedral' . So will add pics of the Catedral in Oviedo plus pics of my visit to the Naranco sites . I took the guided tour of these buildings which is a minimal cost.
Not sure if I've doubled up on pic inserts!

You'll not want the journey to end, so don't rush if you don't have time constraints.

I've added 3 pics to shown the gorgeous colour on the Primitivo in early May this year

Buen Camino.
Annie

Thinking about doing the Salvador and Primitivo in June just not sure of date, sometime mid June I hope.

Hey, LT, are you hearing Santiago whisper "How about leaving from León some day around Monday, June 13?"

I hope to start the Primitivo somewhere around June 18-20, and if last year's reports are predictive of this year's, it may be crowded out there. The thing that makes the Salvador/Primitivo one of my very favorite Caminos is the enjoyable absence of a bed rush and adequate pilgrim infrastructure at the same time. Fingers crossed that things don't go too out of whack! Buen camino, Laurie

View attachment 22751 View attachment 22752 View attachment 22753 View attachment 22754 View attachment 22755 View attachment 22756 View attachment 22757
Hola !Left Coaster
Well since you're an old hand now, having done the Camino Frances already.
It's another way to Santiago , but different !
If you haven't already booked train to Irun , give yourself time - that would be the best tip -
If you have time - take it slow at the beginning, spend a day or more in Madrid. If not there, then try not to rush the first 5 days as they are very much up and down. It's quite achievable, but can take its toll if you rush it, depending on your level of fitness. quite taxing if it's hot ! Hence I did the Salvador/Primitivo in late Apr/early May this year. Much nicer.
The Norte and views are magnificent. Not as busy as the Frances but I found there were plenty walking in sept/oct 14.
I didn't rush to San Sebastián first day but split it and stopped at the alburgue at Pasajes' - Its only small so may fill up early. this will give you time to walk out to the end of Pasajes de San Juan and partake of a vino out there also., watch the boating etc. In the morning a cute little boat will ferry you across to the other side for a small payment.
If you're not into stopping in the bigger places , you could check out San Sebastián and walk on to a lovely alburgue at Orio. It includes dinner and breakfast if you want it but the position of this alburgue gives you some lovely views. And it goes on. Better and better.

Once arrived in Oviedo, for the beginning of your Primitivo section. I'd recommend you investigate some of the threads on this forum regarding places to stay in Oviedo. Also if you can manage it - have a break there (2 nights) so you can really get to see it with fresh eyes.
There are the Heritage listed sites /Naranco a few Ks out of the main city. In the city there is so much to check out, not least being the magnificent 'Catedral' . So will add pics of the Catedral in Oviedo plus pics of my visit to the Naranco sites . I took the guided tour of these buildings which is a minimal cost.
Not sure if I've doubled up on pic inserts!

You'll not want the journey to end, so don't rush if you don't have time constraints.

I've added 3 pics to shown the gorgeous colour on the Primitivo in early May this year

Buen Camino.
Annie
Annie, those are just beautiful pics and are certainly likely to be a contributing factor to creating a bed rush! How could anyone resist that natural beauty??? Do you have any idea where those three pictures (not the Naranco ones) were taken? The middle one looks like terrain I remember after Tineo, but I could be wrong. Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie, those are just beautiful pics and are certainly likely to be a contributing factor to creating a bed rush! How could anyone resist that natural beauty??? Do you have any idea where those three pictures (not the Naranco ones) were taken? The middle one looks like terrain I remember after Tineo, but I could be wrong. Laurie
I also think that picture is of the walk up and out of Tineo, just picture perfect mountains.

Hi Laurie and Anemone Del Camino
Thank you -
I couldn't stop taking pics so have so many, I've gone back to dates (and places). These 3 were taken within a day of each other 7 & 8 May 2015.
1st and 2nd were between Fonsegrada and Cadevo Baleira. There was so much pink (gorse?/heather?) everywhere.
3rd pic could have been in the afternoon before . So roughly one or two days out of Lugo ..
Annie

Lovely pictures @OzAnnie! Very inviting but April/May is too early for me.

@peregrina2000 hi Laurie, just back from Santiago. The day of departure is still not sure but it may in fact be one week earlier. I just got confirmation of my 2016 teaching schedule and I (yippppeee) have about 18 days off in March and found a replacement for my summer course beginning the first week of June. That means that I have about 6 weeks which I may combine with a quincena as a hospitalera. So we will keep in touch and see what happens.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hi, anyone walking the primitivo next june?, or anyone have any tips? Please post.
Hallo!!! I walked primitivo last july! It's a wonderful way with great views!!! Hard in some stages and you have to carry something to eat but......its a great way!!!! Enjoy!!! Buen camino!!!!

I'm planning the Primitivo in April/May. This will be my second camino and I'm really excited about it. Love all the information I've found again on this forum!

Beautiful photos Annie.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Peregrina2000, I should be on the primativo about the time you are. Can you tell me the best way to get from Santiago back to Oviedo ?

Hi Peregrina2000, I should be on the Primitivo about the time you are. Can you tell me the best way to get from Santiago back to Oviedo ?

Hi, Wendy,
I've been looking at getting in and out of Oviedo in the middle of my camino this summer, and have seen that there is a service, which I think must be like Uber in the US, called blablacar. A ride share program where you sign up, and the rides are very cheap between Santiago and Oviedo, between 12 and 15 euros. Blablacar.es.

For more conventional travel, I'd suggest train, look at RENFE's website. The train goes up to the coast with a change in Coruna and then south to Oviedo when it hits Gijon.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi peregrina2000 and others,
Does anyone have any information on how far it is from Oviedo bus station to the albergue or at least the nearest point on the camino.?

Thanking you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Annie - those pictures are wonderful! I had thought about the Primitivo in May ... you've convinced me, and probably a thousand other peregrinos as well ;).
I'm lucky to have a camera with a built in gps. When I look at them using Picasa 3, a map comes up showing me exactly where they were taken. When you've got a memory like mine, and take maybe thirty pictures each day, that's a blessing!
Buen camino, Annie!

Hi peregrina2000 and others,
Does anyone have any information on how far it is from Oviedo bus station to the albergue or at least the nearest point on the camino.?

Thanking you.

Hi, Wendy,
The bus station is very close to the Camino. Are you going to start walking from there? If so, I can get you a googlemap screenshot. (If you look at a map of Oviedo, look for the Calle de la Independencia near the train station. If you get on that street you'll find the arrows, but you will have missed the glory of Oviedo!)

If you are going from the bus station to the albergue, you can find a good walking route on google maps. Just plug in bus station Oviedo and Albergue de peregrinos Oviedo and you'll see the route. It's about a half hour walk.

From the albergue, the marking will get you on the camino. Many of the arrows in Oviedo are embedded in the sidewalk, so you may have to keep looking down!

Buen camino, Laurie

Dear peregrina2000, that screenshot would be terrific if you could. I will make sure I look around oviedo too. Thanks for that advice.
I find there are buses also on the ALSA website from santiago to Oviedo beginning at 5.45am. I see from your Primitivo guide that the tourist office would have a map for Naranco site and back? Is it far from the "autobus" station to the tourist office?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Wendy,
The bus station is very close to the Camino. Are you going to start walking from there? If so, I can get you a googlemap screenshot. (If you look at a map of Oviedo, look for the Calle de la Independencia near the train station. If you get on that street you'll find the arrows, but you will have missed the glory of Oviedo!)

If you are going from the bus station to the albergue, you can find a good walking route on google maps. Just plug in bus station Oviedo and Albergue de peregrinos Oviedo and you'll see the route. It's about a half hour walk.

From the albergue, the marking will get you on the camino. Many of the arrows in Oviedo are embedded in the sidewalk, so you may have to keep looking down!

Buen camino, Laurie
I looked into the Blablacar site and will need to look closer to the time as the spain one is not available in Australia.

Dear peregrina2000, that screenshot would be terrific if you could. I will make sure I look around oviedo too. Thanks for that advice.
I find there are buses also on the ALSA website from santiago to Oviedo beginning at 5.45am. I see from your Primitivo guide that the tourist office would have a map for Naranco site and back? Is it far from the "autobus" station to the tourist office?
Peregrina200o will most certainly get back to you on this, but this mayadd to her comments. There is a bus on calle Uria, with a stop also in front of the tourist office, on the opposite side of the streeet, that will take you directly to the Naranco sites. It really is just a 10 min. drive a d if it's that long it's because of all the zigzagging up a steep hill. Bus is the no. 10 bus. It drops you off by the parking lot of the sites. And no need to come back down as a few km away you can reach the Camino. Is it far from the bus station? No, but I couldn't tell you where to catch that bus other than to suggest that from the train station, on the same road as the bus station, 500 m. away perhaps, you turn 90 degrees on Uria, and walk on the left hand side of the street until you see a post with a no. 10 sign.

Dear peregrina2000, that screenshot would be terrific if you could.

Hi, Wendy,
Well, if you are going to walk up to Naranco and then start the Primitivo, you can just keep walking from there. Or are you sleeping in Oviedo for the first night? Here are a couple of screen shots to help you figure out your itinerary.

First from the bus station to the start of the Camino Primitivo

Screenshot 2016-02-02 07.23.28.png

Then from the bus station to the Naranco sites, it is not a long walk. If your plan is to keep walking from the Naranco sites, there is good info on the forum about how to do that.

Screenshot 2016-02-02 07.24.25.png

And also from the bus station to the offices of tourism. There is a municipal office, which is at the corner of that big park in the map, and an Asturian office, which is in the square near town hall.

Screenshot 2016-02-02 07.26.26.png

However you do it, Oviedo is really a beautiful small city, lots of civic pride, lots of enjoyment to be had in walking around, visiting the in-town churches (both cathedral and romanesque), the parks, the squares, etc. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Wendy,
Well, if you are going to walk up to Naranco and then start the Primitivo, you can just keep walking from there. Or are you sleeping in Oviedo for the first night? Here are a couple of screen shots to help you figure out your itinerary. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, you are SUCH a helpful girl :).
I've printed those off for my trip in May. Am flying into Asturias Airport, bus to Oviedo, then start walking.
That's the plan.
But you know what they say about plans !!! :D

Hi, Wendy,
Well, if you are going to walk up to Naranco and then start the Primitivo, you can just keep walking from there. Or are you sleeping in Oviedo for the first night? Here are a couple of screen shots to help you figure out your itinerary.

First from the bus station to the start of the Camino Primitivo

View attachment 23794

Then from the bus station to the Naranco sites, it is not a long walk. If your plan is to keep walking from the Naranco sites, there is good info on the forum about how to do that.

View attachment 23795

And also from the bus station to the offices of tourism. There is a municipal office, which is at the corner of that big park in the map, and an Asturian office, which is in the square near town hall.

View attachment 23796

However you do it, Oviedo is really a beautiful small city, lots of civic pride, lots of enjoyment to be had in walking around, visiting the in-town churches (both cathedral and romanesque), the parks, the squares, etc. Buen camino, Laurie
fantastic Laurie. Very precise. exactly what I need.

Laurie, you are SUCH a helpful girl :).
I've printed those off for my trip in May. Am flying into Asturias Airport, bus to Oviedo, then start walking.
That's the plan.
But you know what they say about plans !!! :D
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the little guide you mailed all the way downunder. If I'm there when you are , it will be my shout for drinkies. haha

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm planning to start the Norte mid-June, and should arrive in Oviedo sometime around July 9th or 10th. It sounds like Oviedo might be a very good place for a day's rest before heading out on the Primitivo. Im hoping for good summer weather and uncrowded albergues - the Goldilocks effect - but will have to wait to see what the Camino throws my way!

hi, anyone walking the primitivo next june?, or anyone have any tips? Please post.
I'm planning to start my first camino from Oviedo on 1st june (I'm flexible between 1st and 5th), I'm wondering if I can join someone to start and get familiar with the path while finding the right rhythm... or is there any other site to look for a travel partner?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm planning to start my first camino from Oviedo on 1st june (I'm flexible between 1st and 5th), I'm wondering if I can join someone to start and get familiar with the path while finding the right rhythm... or is there any other site to look for a travel partner?

Hi, Tenerpa,
Welcome to the forum. I think the very best way to find someone setting out when you do is to spend the night in the albergue. Some will have walked the Norte and turned down to Oviedo to continue on the Primitivo, and some will be starting out from Oviedo. But all will be walking on to Grado/San Juan/Cornellana the next day, and I don't think you'll have any trouble finding someone to walk with in June. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Tenerpa,
I am also tentatively planning on starting out from Oviedo around that time and possibly looking for a travel partner!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will most certainly find companions if you spend the night in San Juan de Villapanada as this albergue has a very special soul and energy conducive to people getting to know each other.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back