• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using your iPhone

Lleninot

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino in May 2016
I will be walking the Camino in May 2016. I will be going my own and looking forward to it.
I have got some useful info from the forum. But I am also surprised at the amount of people who can't seem to make a decision for themselves. As to take a phone or not. Who cares!!
Just do what is right for YOU
Burn Camino a todos

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be walking the Camino in May 2016. I will be going my own and looking forward to it.
I have got some useful info from the forum. But I am also surprised at the amount of people who can't seem to make a decision for themselves. As to take a phone or not. Who cares!!
Burn Camino a todos
Well said, wish you well, Peter.

Burn Camino a todos

@Lleninot. I'm not sure you are really being fair ;)

For 'new to the Camino' Pilgrims there are a multitude of unanswered questions and concerns going around their heads. It was only a year ago I was struggling on the decision to take a Rice Cooker or not! :confused: That was a really tough call........... This year I'm taking one by the way :p

Phone or not?
Type of Underwear?
Mat or Not?
Boots or Shoes?
Pack type?
Bladder or bottle?
One pole or two?

It's a wonder any of us actually make it to our first Camino. And we are gently tolerated and humoured by the 'old hands' on this forum..............

Because they know the secret...... :D

That by the end of Day 1.............

it won't really matter what decision the newbie Pilgrim made...........

because they'll be coping so well .... having so much fun.....and wondering what all 'their' 'pre Camino' worry was about :p

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

For 'new to the Camino' Pilgrims there are a multitude of unanswered questions and concerns going around their heads

Phone or not?
Type of Underwear?
Mat or Not?
Boots or Shoes?
Pack type?
Bladder or bottle?
One pole or two?

These are all questions that really should not have to be asked over and over again. They are all one search fuction (or faq section) away.

I get people think their question is soooo different than alll the other "blatter or bottle" questions, but really, they are not.

Please remember that sometimes there is so much happening in our lives and there are many decisions to be made that we become paralyzed by an overabundance of information and cannot make decisions. My advice is to: 1. choose the easy things first, 2. look at how much you have already accomplished, 3. take a break for a while, then 4. focus on only one thing at a time.

I do agree that with a search most questions have already been answered a number of times but for each person who asks something, their question is their most important thing at the time. From those of us in that situation, thank you all for your patience and generous help!

I try to be as patient and charitable as I can. It is not always easy, especially in the face of some of the more basic, and repetitive questions.

However, I keep telling myself that I was in the exact, uncertain situation before my first Camino in 2013. So, when in doubt, I answer the question, again...and again...and again...

Although, lately, I have been including a polite reference to the search function and a polite admonition to USE IT.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I try to be as patient and charitable as I can. It is not always easy, especially in the face of some of the more basic, and repetitive questions.

However, I keep telling myself that I was in the exact, uncertain situation before my first Camino in 2013. So, when in doubt, I answer the question, again...and again...and again...

Although, lately, I have been including a polite reference to the search function and a polite admonition to USE IT.

I hope this helps.

I am one of these newbies. I read the messages that come into my mailbox every day and learn a lot. But, honestly, I don't find the search feature easy to use. I get pages and pages of returns, many from the same recent thread. I am overwhelmed by the FAQs and try to read a couple every day. I read other people's blogs on the Camino. Maybe if I just took the time to read through everything I find in searches I would have all the answers I need and wouldn't have to bother anyone (or be even more confused) and then what would be the purpose of the forum?

@mcopeland please dont see it as bothering anyone. You are not. Any question you have, fire away...me and many others will keep on answering them over and over again :)

I believe if the faq would be a bit more organised and yes, if the search fuction would not spout out hundreds of results, this would make some things much easier.

I think an updated FAQ isnt impossible (i think?) but for the search fuction to be a bit more uses friendly, i have no idea what that would ask of Ivar.

Last edited:
I say to the one's not having walked a Camino, go ahead and ask away (within reason of course :D). After all, isn't that main purpose of this forum anyway? Advice? Sure, tales of Caminos walked are interesting and all, but information and advice is more important. Not saying that the information or advice given back to you is going to be worth a caca, but ask away anyway. :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
These are all questions that really should not have to be asked over and over again. They are all one search fuction (or faq section) away.

I get people think their question is soooo different than alll the other "blatter or bottle" questions, but really, they are not.

I know what you mean..... But the advice is often conflicting, old, or 'appears' to be not that specific, so I think it's natural for people to repeat questions to a degree....

The old debate of water bottles v bladders seems to get updated as new products come along for example.... New people join the forum who have different views and experiences. The Camino itself changes.....facilities etc.

I suppose the ideal, is that new members try to 'search' first for answers and then ask more specific questions as required..... ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ask away. "Helping pilgrims since 2004," says Ivar, and that is what we should do. If you can use the search function, or the new "tags", please do, but if you don't get the answers you need I never mind how many times a question is asked. A tip for using the search function - try limiting your answers by ticking a few of the little option boxes.

Ask away. "Helping pilgrims since 2004," says Ivar, and that is what we should do. If you can use the search function, or the new "tags", please do, but if you don't get the answers you need I never mind how many times a question is asked. A tip for using the search function - try limiting your answers by ticking a few of the little option boxes.

Well said Kanga :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
if everything else fails call your mommy :)

yes I'm on the roll today :)
zzotte

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think I'm having a 'grey' moment :oops:

Who deleted......what? o_O

Just for the record it was not a attacking post, sometimes people asks things that my "3 year old knows better" its this ok Kanga? :) and the good folks at this forum goes out of they way to answer when its clearly they just pulling your leg, so I made a comment to the fact and got delete justly I may add:):) we are all friends still I hope:)

And that is the end of that

zzotte

Ask away. "Helping pilgrims since 2004," says Ivar, and that is what we should do. If you can use the search function, or the new "tags", please do, but if you don't get the answers you need I never mind how many times a question is asked......
It can be extremely frustrating to see the SAME questions being asked, & one feels that a bit of time lurking in this forum will supply the answers. However, & as Kanga says, this forum is aimed at helping pilgrims - wether this is newbies whose questions are based on nervousness & a need for reassurance or experienced pilgrims who enjoy the repartee - if someone doesn't wish to reply for the 'n' time when the SAME question is asked, then that's fine. Someone else will probably be in a more relaxed frame of mind that day & can reply.
Buen Camino
[from a would be pilgrim who's 2015 September Camino & involvement in the forum was scotched due to personal obligations but who hopes to be back in the swing - & the forum - & is now aiming for 2016 September Camino]

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am one of the people who feel the Search function has failed them. Just yesterday I was lookin for information on how to upload a photo of my newly adapted 400 gram dawn quilt. I gave up.

And if you live in or around Montreal, there is an"Iphone and the Camino" clinic being offered at a local shop in May :cool:

@Anemone del Camino to upload a photo into a post - click on the "more options" button at the bottom right. Your draft post will now have underneath it three buttons. Click on "upload a file" and in the dialogue box use the "choose file" to navigate to where your photo is stored and follow the prompts. You will be given the option of using a thumbnail or full photo in your post - a thumbnail is preferable because a full photo slows downloading of the thread. Be patient, sometimes it takes a few moments between steps.

€149,-
Burn Camino a todos
Burn Camino a todos
ok I walked the camino ten years ago and was a little envious of those persons with phones. In France they were busy booking gites ahead . two years later I walked again again and cracked the system by getting kind persons to phone ahead for me. I did spend one night under a hedge so it can happen that there is no accommodation. In Spain back then there was no phoning ahead which was great and no phone was needed. It really depends a bit on if you can speak the language or not. My advice would be take aphone for France but not Spain. Glenys

For 'new to the Camino' Pilgrims there are a multitude of unanswered questions and concerns going around their heads. It was only a year ago I was struggling on the decision to take a Rice Cooker or not! :confused: That was a really tough call........... This year I'm taking one by the way :p

Phone or not?
Type of Underwear?
Mat or Not?
Boots or Shoes?
Pack type?
Bladder or bottle?
One pole or two?

It's a wonder any of us actually make it to our first Camino. And we are gently tolerated and humoured by the 'old hands' on this forum..............

Because they know the secret...... :D

That by the end of Day 1.............

it won't really matter what decision the newbie Pilgrim made...........

because they'll be coping so well .... having so much fun.....and wondering what all 'their' 'pre Camino' worry was about :p
An I-hope-not-entirely-unrelated question: I noticed on one of your earlier posts (about a year ago) that you were enquiring about local Spanish phone sims/plans. May I ask what you learned? I'm leaving in 3 weeks for my first Camino Frances (from Sydney). I thought I had a phone sim teed up for Spain, but the online company that offered a Spain /Europe sim a few months ago no longer lists that item. I do not want to do a deal with a local Australian carrier, they're too expensive.

I want to use the phone I've got (iPhone 6s) it's unlocked. Did you buy a sim before you left Australia or did you buy one in Spain? I'll be going to Madrid first, so I could go through the hassle of getting one after I get there and be good and ready for The Camino a week later.

I was in Paris for a month 18 months ago and bought a local sim/package while there. What a colossal pain that was.

I noticed your post about putting an Australian plug into a European power point! Different power there. 110 volts, Australia 240 volts. Many appliances have built-in transformers so will work with both levels of power. But you know that. The old rectangular pin in the round hole trick couldn't have gone over too well! How did you go with that one??

I say to the one's not having walked a Camino, go ahead and ask away (within reason of course :D). After all, isn't that main purpose of this forum anyway? Advice? Sure, tales of Caminos walked are interesting and all, but information and advice is more important. Not saying that the information or advice given back to you is going to be worth a caca, but ask away anyway. :D
This. Times a 1000.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Are you flying directly to Spain or via the UK (as lots of Antipodeans do)?

If directly to Spain it is fairly straightforward to buy a prepaid SIM from Orange. Took me about 10 minutes last year on the Ingles. About 10 euro including 1 GB of data. The amounts may have changed since.

If you are stopping off in the UK consider buying a prepaid SIM from the Three network. £1 from supermarkets or pound stores. No need to register. Then top-up with credit and buy an Internet add-on. £5 for 500mb, valid one month. Plus a 'free' 150mb per top-up. Usable in UK, Spain , France and a few other countries. Worked well for me in Spain and on the Via Francigena through France, Switzerland and Italy.

An I-hope-not-entirely-unrelated question: I noticed on one of your earlier posts (about a year ago) that you were enquiring about local Spanish phone sims/plans. May I ask what you learned? I'm leaving in 3 weeks for my first Camino Frances (from Sydney). I thought I had a phone sim teed up for Spain, but the online company that offered a Spain /Europe sim a few months ago no longer lists that item. I do not want to do a deal with a local Australian carrier, they're too expensive.

I want to use the phone I've got (iPhone 6s) it's unlocked. Did you buy a sim before you left Australia or did you buy one in Spain? I'll be going to Madrid first, so I could go through the hassle of getting one after I get there and be good and ready for The Camino a week later.

I was in Paris for a month 18 months ago and bought a local sim/package while there. What a colossal pain that was.

I noticed your post about putting an Australian plug into a European power point! Different power there. 110 volts, Australia 240 volts. Many appliances have built-in transformers so will work with both levels of power. But you know that. The old rectangular pin in the round hole trick couldn't have gone over too well! How did you go with that one??

Hi Mike. I mention SIM cards here. You might just have time to get one from Spain. I think mine took 10 days to arrive
http://robscamino.com/sim-cards-for-your-camino/
I bought a FRENCH SIM and a Spanish Sim before leaving Australia.

If indeed Europe uses 110V, please don't tell the Europeans. They think that they've been on 230-240V since the year dot ;). It's USA and Japan that use 110-120V. And the West Indies.... And Cuba.... And a few others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

I did take a power plug adapter. A 2 pin Aussie plug will often fit into other types of two or three pin sockets (Thailand for example). With a bit of wiggling... I think in Europe though, it will only fit in some of the older style sockets, so I used an adapter all the time.

If it is just for phone charging, you can buy a cheap Euro plug, that takes a USB cable in the back. As I found out when I left the Euro adapter and phone charging plug in the wall of my room!

Hi Mike. I mention SIM cards here. You might just have time to get one from Spain. I think mine took 10 days to arrive
http://robscamino.com/sim-cards-for-your-camino/
I bought a FRENCH SIM and a Spanish Sim before leaving Australia.

If indeed Europe uses 110V, please don't tell the Europeans. They think that they've been on 230-240V since the year dot ;). It's USA and Japan that use 110-120V. And the West Indies.... And Cuba.... And a few others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

I did take a power plug adapter. A 2 pin Aussie plug will often fit into other types of two or three pin sockets (Thailand for example). With a bit of wiggling... I think in Europe though, it will only fit in some of the older style sockets, so I used an adapter all the time.

If it is just for phone charging, you can buy a cheap Euro plug, that takes a USB cable in the back. As I found out when I left the Euro adapter and phone charging plug in the wall of my room!
Of course, forgive me. Europe - 240. Growing up in Canada (an outpost of the USandA), we used to stick our fingers into live lightbulb sockets - 110 just tickled and "spasmed" the arm up to about the elbow! In Oz, that kind of prank could kill you (also 240). I guess that's why circuit breakers were invented.

Thanks for the phone sim info.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I get tetchy when old hands tell us newbies to use the search function here. They can't have tried it themselves!
I just saw an excellent suggestion in another thread: put your query into Google and limit it to the forum by adding at the end
site:.caminodesantiago.me
Haven't tried it yet but it makes sense to harness the power of Google searching algorithms.

I get tetchy when old hands tell us newbies to use the search function here. They can't have tried it themselves!

On the first page of the forum, on the left, you see 'newest camino guides' and 'most downloaded resources'.
Underneath there is : most popular tags....
For relatively simple questions, say about boots, tap on 'boots', if your query is about sleeping bags, tap on 'sleeping bags' etc You'll see lots of previous threads that may deal with your question.
Just in case it helps someone :)
If that doesn't work, then just ask away ;)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back