• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training with backpack

Sam Canada

Time of past OR future Camino
First
Okay all you professionals. I America closing in on my first Camino . Next month I will start training with mr pack . What is the recommended approach? Start with a lighter pack or full pack with shorter walks? I am walking fit but have never used a pack.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Okay all you professionals. I America closing in on my first Camino . Next month I will start training with mr pack . What is the recommended approach? Start with a lighter pack or full pack with shorter walks? I am walking fit but have never used a pack.
Spell check grr I am not America , and I am not training with mr pack but my pack, lol

I'm not a professional. I am starting my camino when you are. Personally, I have been walking with the pack that I am using on the camino, but it is light. I have my water, snacks, first aid and my socks. I've been walking about 7-10 miles with it on. My plan is to gradually add the weight. I'm wondering now, if this is the best approach. Should I just put all the weight in it and go small distances? Or start off slow like I am currently doing until I reach the full weight?
Sorry, I think I added another question to your question.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Sam Canada!
I have no idea if this is the 'right' way btw but it worked for me.... I was not a long-distance walker when I set out the first time and I had never carried a backpack. I first did a few long walks without a pack then I walked with it fully loaded (5kg) as many times as I could. Wear the clothes (and footwear) you are going to walk the Camino in. That way after a few times you know if the pack is well adjusted and if the clothes are comfortable.
Happy training walks !

Oh I've just remembered: as a novice backpacker, I had NO idea how to organise my stuff in the pack. The first few days were a nightmare :D. Better to try at home where everything should go, what should be kept together etc . (But it may just be me :oops: )

Last edited:
Me, I kind of like to sneek up on my poor old battered body. I start out light & short distance and gradually increase weight & distance as I go. In my youth I would pack up 20 - 25 k and head for the hills. Which probably explains the Sacroiliac displacement, the b*ggered knees and the need for ankle supporting boots.

I walk every day, hike fairly regularly and I still 'train' for Camino. The day on day impact is the thing to prepare for. Plus you will learn to load your pack properly, tune the fit to your frame and become adept at grabbing your water-bottles from those ridiculously position hip pockets :)

We started light and built up the weight as well as shorter to longer distances. Each year, having walked some of the time with 'day-packs' we build up the weight again to full weight. Works for us and helps to think through what is really needed too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started with lighter weight, full distance.......somehow I transitioned to full weight, short distance. But, I haven't made it to the camino yet so I have no idea if this going to work! I'm already a long distance walker so its really the weight I'm trying to get used to.

I'm certainly not a professional, since my upcoming Camino will be my first. I seem to be the odd man out here in that I started out training with a pack that's probably close to double (around 13 kilos) what I'll end up carrying on the Camino. I figured that starting with a heavier pack would toughen me up. When I finally start the real thing, 7-8 kilos should seem like a walk in the park. I hope.

I started with just a light weight in my pack and walking shorter distances, and gradually added weight as I got used to the feel of it (while also gradually increasing the distances walked). "Gradually" can mean whatever feels appropriate to you! I've found that "real" items in the pack to a particular weight feel very different to a solid lump like a bag of rice which some recommend using. It's all in the distribution. I would shove in various items similar to what I would be carrying. There are conflicting views on where in the pack you should carry the heaviest items, but I think not all at the bottom. As things turned out I ended up not being able to carry a full-weight pack as I was recovering from surgery, but at least the practice helped my fitness!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do what feels right to you. Two things though, most training days are on pretty level road that is smooth. The Camino has a lot of ups and downs as well as rough uneven paths .... so where possible go off road and walk on uneven surfaces and where possible walk up and down hills. If you don't live where there are hills then find a high building and walk both up and down all the stairs!! Enjoy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I train with and without my camino kit. When I train with my pack it's full kit. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I did a lot of training with and without my pack. I slowly built up the weight in my pack to full capacity, but having completed the CF last year I'm not really sure whether that was needed. The first week on the CF was harder training than I did prior to leaving, I wasn't expecting some of the ascents and decent to be as hard as they were, I certainly hadn't trained for the decent's into Roncenvalles or Zubiri. After about a week my backpack became part of me.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not training with mr pack but my pack, lol

Stick a couple of googly eyes on it and leave a sock hanging out of the side, give pilgrims overtaking you something to look at.

This morning I went for my first walk since the autumn, with an 8kg pack. Just 5-6km before work, but it felt good to be out walking again.

I'm a big proponent of training and posts like this always make me smile.

but having completed the CF last year I'm not really sure whether that was needed. The first week on the CF was harder training than I did prior to leaving, I wasn't expecting some of the ascents and decent to be as hard as they were, I certainly hadn't trained for the decent's into Roncenvalles or Zubiri.

Imagine how much more difficult the first week would've been if you hadn't trained! Would it have been a fond memory (like it is now) or would you have possibly injured yourself due to lack of training?
You'll spend a fair amount of $$$ to get to the Camino (depending on where you live of course), why risk an injury that perhaps could've been prevented with some training prior to departure?
My wife and I are big walkers. Our training started with light packs just to get used to wearing them. Then we'd gradually add weight until we were at our Camino weight. Remember that all the training is a good way to make sure your shoes and rain gear and such will work for you. Can you imagine getting all the way to SJPdP only to find out that your shoes, which are perfect while walking with nothing, are suddenly less than perfect with a 10-15 kg rucksack?
Just my $0.02. Buen Camino!

Ron

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
May be the trick is not having a 15 kg pack on your back and not thinking you have to walk 30 km a day. ;).

Very true! However, there's nothing wrong with carrying a 15kg rucksack as long as you've trained for it. My Camino ruck was 13 kgs and I had no problems. When I was in the Army as a youngster, I would've been very happy to ONLY be carrying 15kgs. I'm a firefighter now and I would be very happy if all my gear (plus SCBA) only weighed 15 kgs!
As long as you train, you can do almost anything!

Again, just my $0.02

Ron

Rlang - terribly sorry but I have to disagree - there is something wrong with carrying a heavy pack, unless one has a proportionate body. It isn't just the weight, though that adds stress, it is the pulling back from the natural centre of gravity that one has to overcome, just by standing. To overcome that one leans forwards to try and find the centre of gravity, a balance point, and most shinsplints come from this - try this. Stand straight and relaxed with your arms down by your sides and try to be aware of the front of your legs right down to your feet. Now turn your elbows out slightly and lean forward a little from the waist - not moving the hips or legs - you will immediately feel all the muscles and tendons at the front of your legs go under stress, from the top right down to the front ankle ... this is the problem with carrying heavy packs if one is not both big and strong. It is that stressing, before one has even taken a step, that leads to many shinsplints, muscle problems, knee ligament problems and so on - try it and see!

The exception that proves the rule? : I have never yet met an ex soldier who has any physical problems with carrying heavy loads - why is this? Is it that they keep a high level of natural fitness and strength? and/or they learned long ago to listen to their bodies? Or/and they walk in a relaxed way?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Imagine how much more difficult the first week would've been if you hadn't trained! Would it have been a fond memory (like it is now) or would you have possibly injured yourself due to lack of training?
You'll spend a fair amount of $$$ to get to the Camino (depending on where you live of course), why risk an injury that perhaps could've been prevented with some training prior to departure?
Spot on!!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Rlang - terribly sorry but I have to disagree -

The exception that proves the rule? : I have never yet met an ex soldier who has any physical problems with carrying heavy loads - why is this? Is it that they keep a high level of natural fitness and strength? and/or they learned long ago to listen to their bodies? Or/and they walk in a relaxed way?

No worries Dave, people disagree with me all the time!! :)
I think you're making my point for me though. Soldiers train to carry the heavy weight over long distances.
Train, that's all I'm saying. Don't leave things to chance, know your body, know your limits. How can you know these things without training??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good advise up above, as we say in the south (Alabama), 'Sounds like the boys are havin a spittin contest. Start light and gradually increase weight to you max. We are leaving for our Camino in 7 weeks and do 15-20K every Saturday, but my regular morning walk is about 5k 3 times a week. My wife works out at the gym for daily prep.

OK I haven't yet done the camino, but I've trained for a lot of stuff. Train with your backpack like anything else, start with a lighter pack and add weight until you get to what you want to carry. Just starting with a full pack isn't exactly training, although it could work if you are strong and not carrying a lot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would suggest some core strengthening in addition to walking. My last camino I walked long distances sometimes with my full pack, but wished I had done more to strengthen my back and abs.

Everybody has an opinion. This is mine. Why would you hike with a pack when you don't need one? For a day hike, you probably carry a daypack weighing 3-6 lb. anyway. I'm an old person, and don't find it necessary to train with extra weight. An able-bodied person can do the camino if they do it at their own pace without having to do that. My loads for the two camino I've done have been around 15 lb.

Last time when I trained I started out just filling my 18L pack with misc and water and going for distance. Then switched over to 15km walks with about a 75% load with the pack that I used. What I didn't do was loaded walks with a lot of elevation gain in the heat (and I have the perfect place to do that 6.5k from my house) and in hindsight probably should have. This time I'll be doing the meseta in April so I am mostly working on long distance. 65 days until my boots hit the dirt!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My ex army mate needs knee replacements because of carrying heavy loads as a soldier. His injuries are recognised as consequential. So yes, carrying a heavy load can be bad.

In school, I heard it was possible to over-study for an examination. I also hear that overtraining is possible. Never experienced either of these.

Lot's of excellent advice already been given here, but for what it's worth here's my two pennyworth.

Work out the approximate weight of everything you will be carrying in your pack, then use this excellent forum to work out what you will not need or use, chuck it and recalculate the new weight.

Train with the pack you will be taking and start light and build up the weight as you get used to it. Try carrying a bit of extra weight before you go and you may get a nice surprise on the great day of your start.

Make sure that you pack your backpack properly. There's probably a thread about it somewhere on here but also check on YouTube, basically put heavy stuff closest to your back and near the top but do check what othe "experts" say and don't forget to keep the things that you might need in a hurry (waterproofs) handy do that you don't need to unpack everything to retrieve them. Also find out about how to keep everything waterproof.

Once that's all done, you're sorted.

Ultreïa.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My mother first just started walking the dogs, slightly longer distances each day. Later, when she was walking fit, she used a 5 lb. sack of flour in her pack when she was ready. She took great pride walking up hills with the sacks. She then graduated to a 10 lb. sack of flour. And then ultimately, she packed her backpack with the items she would carry.

I personally start carrying nothing at all. 3 mi, then 5, then 7, then 9... repeated walking regularly (walking fit). Then, as the endurance builds and the date of departure approaches (2-3 months away), I start to wear the pack... Just a sampling of what I will carry, then more, and ultimately the full load, walking similar distances to what was done previously. By the time I am done training I will walk 18 miles, up a hill much steeper than any you will encounter on the camino, wearing full pack. But it is a gradual process to get there..

I think it is best to start small on both distance and weight, and gradually build. Incremental requirements will limit the chance of injury and build endurance. Go slow and take time, but always progress.

Excellent advice already posted here so I'll add a little more (hopefully useful!).

Have helped lots of backpack first-timers. Suggest that you start with a light load but evenly distributed ie bulky sweater/jumper or the like. The idea is to just really get used to your backpack so try wearing it around home first and learn how to adjust it to suit. It needs to become your best friend. When training for treks I start by wearing my backpack around the house increasing the time in half hour increments and then the weight before heading out for any walks.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here. I can only tell you what worked for me. For a long time I walked wth no pack, then I started adding the pack at pretty close to full weight (10 kg/22 lbs). When I first added the pack I walked shorter distances (5-8k). Eventually I built up to average walks of 12k with a fully-loaded pack. A month or two before embarking I built up to what I started calling a "full Camino" of 23k once a week, meaning that this would be the typical distance I would cover on an average day on the Camino. I couldn't find the time to do 23k more than once a week, but I did do walks of 12k, a "half Camino," more frequently.

I used my training walks as an opportunity to test out all my gear as well as get myself in shape. I listened carefully to my body, particularly what my feet were telling me. I tried different sock combinations. I worked on getting the fit of my pack just right. I also worked out a great way to carry my largish camera. I practiced using my trekking poles.

That last bit is really important. Used properly, trekking poles take a tremendous load off your legs, 35% by some accounts. I can't tell you how many people I saw using trekking poles like outriggers for stability only. They would simply walk the poles along beside themselves. If you actually use trekking poles to help propel yourself you get so much more out of them. Plus, if you learn how to use them on the descents as shock absorbers your knees will thank you. It's worth looking up videos on how to use trekking poles.

Hi Sam Canada,
We were relatively fit to begin with. We bought packs, filled them with the equivalent weight in books, about 7 kg, and started out. We chose books because then we just left them in the pack. We did short walks and then worked up to longer. The first walk was hard! But not as difficult as the walk out of Le Puy would have been had we not trained.
Training made a huge difference for us and we're glad we put in the effort.

Most everything written above is very good indeed. Here is my "two cents worth"

1. It is a good idea to get used to having a loaded rucksack on your back. I use sealed plastic bags of crystal kitty litter, which my cat will ultimately use anyway. Start with one small bag. Add bags as you get used to it. I currently use one 8 pound and one 15 pound bag in my 35 liter rucksack. This is an all-in weight, including the rucksack, of 25 pounds / or 11.4 Kg. THAT is 10 percent of my naked weight.

Adding weight gets you used to having the rucksack on your back, helps you to properly adjust it, and as you add weight, you get a better idea of the strain.

2. Ultimately, you might consider actually packing your rucksack with the exact items you plan on taking on Camino. That will tell you fairly quick if you have too much crap.

I likely hold the record for mailing excess stuff to Ivar from down the road when I realize I am carrying too much. On each of my three Caminos I have sent him increasing amounts. Last year, coming off a 10-day Camino from Porto, I actually mailed him FOUR boxes. One was tourist stuff from the beginning. But THREE boxes were excess I did not need. We had a good chuckle over that. But, each year I think I learned my lesson.

Actually, I am following Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: I am repeating the same experiment year after year, in the hopes of a different outcome...:eek:

There is a ton of useful advice and suggested packing lists here on the Forum for you to use for comparison. Some of our veteran colleagues maintain blogs separately. They also post their experience-laden packing lists there for your consideration. Use them.

Finally, I use a dietary scale that weighs in kilograms and ounces that I got in Target. I weigh literally EVERY item I plan to take. I record weights in kilograms and ounces on the worksheet and the totals go up or down as I make changes. Just watching the total causes me to revisit what I think I am taking to see what and where I can shave a few kilograms. Even things that "weigh virtually nothing (LOL)" eventually conspire to weigh a kilo or more. So, worry about every kilogram or ounce. Let the worksheet run the fluid total. Make adjustments as indicated.

I also use Excel to maintain a packing list worksheet. It has formulas to accumulate all the weight, by pocket, pouch, tote bag, organizing ziplock bags of stuff, and my externally worn bag (chest load) and rucksack. Each year, I make a copy of last year's Camino packing list and refine it. EVERYTHING that I will wear, carry, or tote in a a pack is included.

This year, I am actually down to 11.8 kg, not including what I am wearing, and what goes in my cargo pockets. For me, that is a new low record. But my departure is still nearly two months away...;)

But planning ahead focuses me and makes me evaluate alternative choices.

I hope this helps.

Finally, I use a dietary scale that weighs in kilograms and ounces that I got in Target. I weigh literally EVERY item I plan to take. I record weights in kilograms and ounces on the worksheet and the totals go up or down as I make changes. Just watching the total causes me to revisit what I think I am taking to see what and where I can shave a few kilograms. Even things that "weigh virtually nothing (LOL)" eventually conspire to weigh a kilo or more. So, worry about every kilogram or ounce. Let the worksheet run the fluid total. Make adjustments as indicated.

I also use Excel to maintain a packing list worksheet. It has formulas to accumulate all the weight, by pocket, pouch, tote bag, organizing ziplock bags of stuff, and my externally worn bag (chest load) and rucksack. Each year, I make a copy of last year's Camino packing list and refine it. EVERYTHING that I will wear, carry, or tote in a a pack is included.

This is what long distance thru hikers do as well e.g. (Pacific Coast Trail 4286 km, Trans Canada Trail 18000 km). I didn't expect to see that type of close weight tracking here, but on thinking about it, it surely makes sense to me (of course, I'm a list fanatic!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Then you will do just fine. Welcome to the Camino weight obsession. Once you consult the various packing lists and ask a few questions, you will better understand.

The other key consideration is that, to the extent possible, every item you wear or carry should serve at least two distinct purposes.

Practical examples include, cargo pants that zip off to become shorts. T-shirts or polo-shirts than can be worn solo, in layers, or as sleep wear.

I am in the habit of wearing my clean under layer and shirt to sleep the night before. Extra socks double as mittens.

I think the only item that can only be used for a sole purpose would be hiking boots. Even a rucksack can do double duty as a shopping tote or laundry bag.

For example, I choose towels based on: their ability to wrap around me coming to and from a shower, ability to soak up prodigious water from wrung out hand wash after I use the towel to shower, and a bright color to use to signal in an emergency situation. Presently, I am evaluating a bright orange yoga towel, microfiber, with a terry cloth texture for replacing my car detailing towel. I love the car detailing terry cloth, microfiber towel, but the yoga towel is much longer. We shall see...

I'm certainly not a professional, since my upcoming Camino will be my first. I seem to be the odd man out here in that I started out training with a pack that's probably close to double (around 13 kilos) what I'll end up carrying on the Camino. I figured that starting with a heavier pack would toughen me up. When I finally start the real thing, 7-8 kilos should seem like a walk in the park. I hope.

Just be careful that the 'extra' weight does not cause injury in training....;)

I'm a gunna trainer. I'm gunna train when it is not so hot, I'm gunna train when it stops raining, I'm gunna train when I'm not so busy....

Best type of training Kanga! That way you won't risk training injuries :)

My wife is starting to panic, in that we leave in 3 months and she hasn't started training yet ;)

We will........gradually. And do a bit.....

And just do some short days at the start of our Camino as a warm up....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is what long distance thru hikers do as well e.g. (Pacific Coast Trail 4286 km, Trans Canada Trail 18000 km). I didn't expect to see that type of close weight tracking here, but on thinking about it, it surely makes sense to me (of course, I'm a list fanatic!)
@C3 to Camino , only on this Forum will you find such unusal behaviour. :eek: Had never occured to me until I discovered the forum, and frankly, if you only bring what you need, including if it rains, and not other what ifs, and if it fits in a 30-40 l. backpack it is not necessary. Bit we Camino Addicts need something to think about in between strolls. Hence the fun we have when people post the list of items they itend to bring. Should soon be an Olympic Sport! But then, we have outed yourself as an addict, so welcome and enjoy!

My training is walking to and from the job, in all weather patterns, a mere 3 km stretch, always with my smaller kestrel 38 liter version of my camino 48 liter model. It is always laden with at least 5 kgs of stuff, extra clothes, snacks and water, always stuffing extra shopping into it.
Once or twice a month, I take a 20 km hike to the town, demand a Cortado at my mocca pusher, reminiscense of the Camino, and then go back. In all kinds of weather, to the puzzle of the locals, they think it silly. I love it, though and will never stop this daily exercise.
I had prostate cancer, got operated, dropped 30 kilos and think it´s a fair swop...
I´m always in my boots and I train 3 times a week at the gym; this has protected me against having any backpains and shoulder strains at all...
This constant and effective walking is keeping me from ankle strains, muscle cramps and any back pain..
So my advise is to find a suitable distance in your daily routine and make it worth your while to do this stretch.
I´ve even taking up picking cans from the verge....

Last edited:
@C3 to Camino , only on this Forum will you find such unusal behaviour. :eek: Had never occured to me until I discovered the forum, and frankly, if you only bring what you need, including if it rains, and not other what ifs, and if it fits in a 30-40 l. backpack it is not necessary. Bit we Camino Addicts need something to think about in between strolls. Hence the fun we have when people post the list of items they itend to bring. Should soon be an Olympic Sport! But then, we have outed yourself as an addict, so welcome and enjoy!

Oh no, my friend. You should read the thru hikers' advice. They cut the handles off their toothbrush to lighten their loads. Every single mg is counted! Of course, they are hiking a much longer hike in wilderness, but still... seems a little excessive to me (who has never done such a hike).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh no, my friend. You should read the thru hikers' advice. They cut the handles off their toothbrush to lighten their loads. Every single mg is counted! Of course, they are hiking a much longer hike in wilderness, but still... seems a little excessive to me (who has never done such a hike).
Sorry, I meant that regarding the Camino only on this forum do we act like throughhikers and weigh stuff.

Most everything written above is very good indeed. Here is my "two cents worth"

1. It is a good idea to get used to having a loaded rucksack on your back. I use sealed plastic bags of crystal kitty litter, which my cat will ultimately use anyway. Start with one small bag. Add bags as you get used to it. I currently use one 8 pound and one 15 pound bag in my 35 liter rucksack. This is an all-in weight, including the rucksack, of 25 pounds / or 11.4 Kg. THAT is 10 percent of my naked weight.

Adding weight gets you used to having the rucksack on your back, helps you to properly adjust it, and as you add weight, you get a better idea of the strain.

2. Ultimately, you might consider actually packing your rucksack with the exact items you plan on taking on Camino. That will tell you fairly quick if you have too much crap.

I likely hold the record for mailing excess stuff to Ivar from down the road when I realize I am carrying too much. On each of my three Caminos I have sent him increasing amounts. Last year, coming off a 10-day Camino from Porto, I actually mailed him FOUR boxes. One was tourist stuff from the beginning. But THREE boxes were excess I did not need. We had a good chuckle over that. But, each year I think I learned my lesson.

Actually, I am following Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: I am repeating the same experiment year after year, in the hopes of a different outcome...:eek:

There is a ton of useful advice and suggested packing lists here on the Forum for you to use for comparison. Some of our veteran colleagues maintain blogs separately. They also post their experience-laden packing lists there for your consideration. Use them.

This year, I am actually down to 11.8 kg, not including what I am wearing, and what goes in my cargo pockets. For me, that is a new low record. But my departure is still nearly two months away...;)

But planning ahead focuses me and makes me evaluate alternative choices.

I hope this helps.
I did the same with an Excel spreadsheet. I still know the weights of the items I took and those I left behind.

Well if you can get away with a loin cloth & a stick what training would be needed? Since that isn't the case carry what you will on the Camino & slowly build up your distance. It will be a quick way to find out if your equipment/shoes will work

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am a 67 year old unfit city lady, except for holidays (see photo to the left). I did not train for my camino last fall, because I had very little opportunity to do so. I tried walking vigorously to work in the spring, and only gave myself shinsplints, which are more or less chronic now, as the very expensive physiotherapy did no good at all. In September, I had my first chance to train (I left for my camino on the 28th) and I packed up my 40 - 50 lb. backpack and went to the mountains for a week. It was a rather strenuous time, what with an unexpected three days of heavy snow. Fortunately, I had brought what I might need as well as what I knew I would, so all was well. My first couple of days on the camino were fairly strenuous, as they are for many people, but I had no injuries (later, I had two blisters, which healed up quickly). I had very little pain, from the shinsplints or from the plantar fasciitis which I had developed a couple of years before. How did I do it? I gave myself lots of extra time so that I had no need to walk too far in any one day and I just used my usual ways to take care of myself. Older people may not be fast, but we know how to take care of our bodies so that we can do what we want to do. If training works for you and you enjoy it, by all means go for it. Try not to develop chronic injuries while doing so. Pay attention to your body and take care of it. If you are ordinarily healthy, you will have a wonderful time on camino even if you do little or no training.

I trained with more weight than I planned to carry and did several walks of a longer distance than I planned to walk each day. I only really trained seriously in the month before I left but before that was fairly hiking fit. No blisters or problems. My friend trained for distance and the day in day out walking but without a weighted pack. Blisters from the start which she put down to not training with the weight in the pack. As so many others have said listen to your body! I'm currently working upto a cycling holiday next week- I wouldn't have dreamed of undertaking it without cycle training so not sure why I would undertake the Camino without some training which attempts to foreshadow what's in store!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I simply appreciate how each of us approaches an issue in a different way, there is no perfect opinion or advice, just a great community to help others.

Why do you need a big towel to walk to and from the shower? Get dressed in the shower!

On occasion, there are people waiting for the limited number of showers. Spending more time to get dressed inconveniences others. On other occasions, the shower stall is simply too small and there is not an outer area that is private to get dressed in. I have had clean clothes soaked with overspray from a shower on several occasions.

So, I am prepared to adapt to the surroundings I find myself in, without inconveniencing others. I simply towel off, wrap, and leave the shower stall to return to the bunk area. There, I proceed to put boxer shorts on under the towel, then remove the towel. I follow with putting on trousers, shirt, and socks, etc. This works for me.

We would not want to induce blindness in others, at the mere glimpse of private parts. I am fine with it, but others may not be. One must always be considerate to others, at least IMHO.

I hope this helps.

So if you leave the shower stall in your boxers, why the extra wrapping?

So if you leave the shower stall in your boxers, why the extra wrapping?

I leave the shower in ONLY the towel, as there is frequently no place to hang the boxers AND keep them dry, even if I supply the hook. I have on occasion tired to bring my clothes along in a large ziplock bag. But again, if others are waiting, the more time I spend in the shower stall proper, the ruder it is to others.

When I get to the bunk area, where the rucksack is hanging on the nylon Nite-Ize Carabiner I bring for such a purpose, I retrieve the dry boxers and put them on under the towel... Once done, I remove the towel to use rolling and stomping my hand wash...

Hence, with all private bits covered, I can finish dressing...

I am aware that many of my European friends are nonplussed with nudity. I am not personally bothered either, and I fully understand the cultural differences. But, I was raised to not display myself to others... Okay, so I am an American... We are just wired a little differently...

I hope this clarifies matters.

I leave the shower in ONLY the towel, as there is frequently no place to hang the boxers AND keep them dry, even if I supply the hook. I have on occasion tired to bring my clothes along in a large ziplock bag. But again, if others are waiting, the more time I spend in the shower stall proper, the ruder it is to others.

When I get to the bunk area, where the rucksack is hanging on the nylon Nite-Ize Carabiner I bring for such a purpose, I retrieve the dry boxers and put them on under the towel... Once done, I remove the towel to use rolling and stomping my hand wash...

Hence, with all private bits covered, I can finish dressing...

I am aware that many of my European friends are nonplussed with nudity. I am not personally bothered either, and I fully understand the cultural differences. But, I was raised to not display myself to others... Okay, so I am an American... We are just wired a little differently...

I hope this clarifies matters.
This is interesting. It seems you've walked in the spring and summer months. I walked in the fall. I never felt as if someone was waiting for my shower. Well, that is with the exception of that pilgrim factory, Roncesvalles. Other than that first night, I never encountered someone waiting outside my shower.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It depends where and when you stop. If you stay at a smallish albergue, and there are more than two people trying to shower in the two available stalls, a line forms...it is simple mathematics and queue theory...

On my first Camino (2013) I started-off staying solely in albergues until I caught bronchitis and near-pneumonia during the first week. That put me off albergues and into hostals and hotels. While more expensive, being ill and forced to stop a Camino is FAR more expensive. So, now, I simply save more and plan ahead.

Now, starting my fourth Camino in April, my new default setting is to stay exclusively in hostals and hotels, unless something falls through and I am compelled to stay in an albergue. Of course, the packing is mostly the same either way, because one must be prepared and remain flexible.

My 'personal' preferred walking season has been late April through the end of May. This year will perform much like a Holy Year because of the Papal designation of 2016 as being a 'Jubilee Year' and a 'Year of Mercy.' Search the terms in the Forum for more information.

As the Camino is originally, a Christian pilgrimage to a holy site (the tomb of Santiago in the Cathedral), that Papal designation is a particular inducement to practicing Catholics, and there are a lot of us out there. However, from the questions I have seen and replied to, many other Christians are paying attention to varying degrees.

So, on balance, you can expect to see more pilgrims across the board through all of 2016. Most of the increase will be seen on the main route, the Camino Frances, but other routes will be similarly affected. It is all relative.

I am leaving Madrid on 7 April, and hope to be on the Camino Frances around the last week of April. I hope this will place me in front of the coming wave of "hip season" pilgrims leaving St. Jean, Pamplona, and Burgos at around the same time.

Making advance reservations for the first half of the route, from Madrid to Sahagun, has resulted in a mixed bag. I have already encountered "completo" e-mails from a few properties I contacted directly in hopes of making advance reservations. So, I will try again once I am in Spain, using text and e-mail. Failing finding an advance reservation, I will entrust myself to available private, then public albergues.

I hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.