• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking photographs

SaraB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (April 2016)
Camino Ingles (April 2017)
I'm getting ready for my first camino (Portugues, this April).
I feel like it is going to be an unforgettable experience, and I am hoping and expecting to see some truly amazing sights. I quite like taking photographs, and of course I want to have some memories of my pilgrimage. So here's the dilemma. I have a professional camera, a Nikon, that takes stunning pictures but of course it is quite heavy and I'm very concerned about carrying all that weight with me. Plus, the hassle of getting it out of its case to take pictures, etc...
On the other hand, my phone is quite old and the camera is really poor quality.

Bearing in mind that my phone is already outdated, so I know I will have to replace it with a new one (with a better camera) in the next couple of years, I am thinking: is it worth investing the money for a better phone now and use that as camera? In this case, though, I would be a bit worried about carrying an expensive phone with me.

Any advice? What did other pilgrims do to take stunning photographs?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am leaving my beloved Nikon and accessories at home due to the weight. I just purchased a Sony DSC-RX100 compact digital. It is lightweight, durable and has a very good quality processor. It has many nice features but most importantly the photos are excellent, even in poor conditions.

Bearing in mind that my phone is already outdated, so I know I will have to replace it with a new one (with a better camera) in the next couple of years, I am thinking: is it worth investing the money for a better phone now and use that as camera? In this case, though, I would be a bit worried about carrying an expensive phone with me
You are correct about not wanting to carry a heavy expensive camera. A smartphone with a good camera serves multiple purposes - get a good protective case (even if you get a sleeker one after the Camino). Also make sure that you have a good way to protect it in the rain - the pocket of my rain jacket did not cut it, but fortunately I was able to borrow a good quality ziplock bag. Also, get an external battery similar to (but do some research on weight, size, price - there are some screaming values now):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7N0320/?tag=casaivar02-20

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wouldn't want only a phone for photos. I will be bringing my Fuji x100t. I will also have a phone that I will use for selfies, and snapshots for Facebook, etc. If you need to replace your phone soon anyway, now might be the time to do it

No matter what phone you get, make sure it has a minimum of 16GB storage, preferably at least 32GB. I met several people on the Camino who were very frustrated that they could not load offline maps and other apps on their phones because of limited space. Also, make sure that the phone you buy will accommodate GSM / LTE and some of the bands used in Spain.

No matter what phone you get, make sure it has a minimum of 16GB storage, preferably at least 32GB. I met several people on the Camino who were very frustrated that they could not load offline maps and other apps on their phones because of limited space. Also, make sure that the phone you buy will accommodate GSM / LTE and some of the bands used in Spain.

Or get a phone that accepts micro SD cards so you can expand the memory. This is one of the reasons I don't want an iPhone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Shen I did the CF last year I used my iPhone (8mpxl) for photographs, I wasn't sure how this would work out quality wise. The photos were downloaded to home on a daily basis where my wife would check the quality, from all I took there was maybe 5% that could have turned out better. Next time I will take a compact camera with me.

I have a Nikon slr as well as other expensive cameras that I have accumulated over the years. On my first Camino back in the early days I carried a Minolta SLR and it weighed more than my pack with all of the film,filters,lenses etc. I was young at the time and made do. Now , we are more civilized and have indoor plumbing so to speak. I would never carry my SLR because of the excess weight. Heck, I don't even use it when I travel locally. It is just too much trouble. I now use a Nikon cool pix,which takes high quality photos as well as videos with good sound options. It uses a SD card and you can take all of the photos and videos that you like. Last years Camino I took over 2,000 photos and only used a 32 gig card. I did not need the extra sd cards that I took with me. My problem is sorting out all of the photos. With digital photos it is so convenient to take pics and delete on the spot what you want to edit . Ain't it great.
The cool pix is about the size of a deck of cards and has a good zoom and all of the modern features along with a timer for those of us who travel solo. Get a small digital and take a plethora of photos and sort um out when you get home. This is just my opinion on your question, not my advice. Buen Camino

At home I love spending time out and about with my Canon DSLR's and range of lenses for all requirements.

Apart from the weight, I would never consider carrying such expensive kit on the Camino. Instead I take a little compact camera which only weighs 170 grams and runs on two AA batteries for which replacements can be purchased as needed.

71Pr5m+NrRL._SL1500_.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I carry a small Olympus with a good optical zoom that hang on the front of my pack in a small pouch. My experience is that accessibility is a more important characteristic than having the best in image size, zoom, etc. I have had several models over the years - the current one is the SZ-16 with a 24x zoom and 16mp.

The Pilgrims with the most pictures used their cell phone cameras...but really you want a small sport camera with minimum size and weight that is...waterproof...waterproof...waterproof...I used a Fujifilm XP 90 that worked great...the first big mistake is taking an expensive 35 mm style digital camera that is heavy, not weatherproof, and makes you a target for theft as a Pilgrim...the second big mistake is taking a digital camera that is not waterproof and I saw many die on my Camino...and purchasing a new digital camera on the Camino is not easy unless you are near a city...the third big mistake is buying a camera that is not easily used by other pilgrims to take a picture of yourself...and every time I was handed a camera I usually had to ask how do you take a picture and that primarily included cell phone cameras...and you don't need to bring a selfie stick because Pilgrims are willing to help but I saw many selfie sticks too...also buy a highly visible camera color (florescent orange or yellow) so you don't accidently leave your digital camera behind on the trail and I saw many Pilgrims going the wrong way to retrieve cell phone cameras....also buy a good heavy camera strap because I saw many digital cameras dropped particularly in the rain and wind...and lastly I backed up my pictures onto my Nook before going home so I had more than one copy of my pictures just in case I lost my camera. img_main01.jpg

I think you first may need to answer the question "What do I want from my photographs?" before taking advice from any of us. A Captain I sailed under for many years always reminded us that 'If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable'.

If you want easy memories that will be triggered by a decent phone camera, then perfect, upgrade your phone. However if you want something that will give you some advanced options, better low light capability, takes a small pocket tripod, maybe 4K video, etc then some of the point and push options above are great. But maybe you want the quality that you've come to expect from your DSLR and lens that you already have. Once you know what you want to get out of it, only then you can choose the right tool.

For my $0.02 worth, I carry a full frame Canon DSLR and two lenses plus a couple of filters and a tripod. Did you just hear the gasp of incredulity??!!?? ;) Sacrilege for many but not for me. I don't like photography, I love photography and taking photos with my iPhone just wouldn't do it for me. I manage to keep pack weight under 10kgs and get to capture my Camino in a way I like. I hope you can figure out what you want to get out of your photos and then I'm positive you'll pick the right tool for the job.
Buen Camino
Jordon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi I'm taking my Samsung smartphone with 64gb card plus a gopro silver 4 camera with 2 spare batteries and 2 x 64 gb cards . Gopro is very light even with spare batteries and takes good videos and photos . Costs about £250 here in uk

I took a point and shoot that needed 2 AA batteries. I suggest bringing about a total of 8 lithium batteries with you; they are light and in Spain they are hard to find and expensive if you do find them. I took maybe 5,000 shots along the camino in eight weeks and a pair of litium batteries would last about a week. For the times when I was out of them I would have to use regular AA batteries used for flashlights and sometimes they would not even last a day. These were available even in small shops though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are taking a camera, be sure to set it at the highest resolution and image quality possible, and if it shoots RAW, all the better--but you will need lots of memory on cards. Several 8GB cards are better than one very large GB card , as you might lose the card or it might corrupt...or, speaking from experience, you might step on it and lose everything. Don't ask.

Once I am home, I download my photos onto my computer, edit and adjust, and create an album of the best 10-15% of each day's photos and export everything, including the albums, to an external hard drive in reasonable TIFF and JPEG file sizes. I can leave the Best of...Albums on my computer and delete the rest, knowing I have everything backed up on an external drive--and I back that up because external drives fail, too. My 'old' Canon G12 is my favourite travel camera.

One advantage of either an iPhone or Android, is the imbedded location, making the labeling easier.
A low tech way of doing this (with less accuracy though) is to take pictures of signs along the way. Or to write down a location, in the dirt if need be, and take a picture of that. Then, when editing pictures later, you can tell that a sequence of pictures were taken between town A and town B.

I would grab a picture of just any sign and then later try to take a fancier picture of a fancier sign (for a "Signs along the Camino" set.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are taking a camera, be sure to set it at the highest resolution and image quality possible, and if it shoots RAW, all the better--but you will need lots of memory on cards. Several 8GB cards are better than one very large GB card , as you might lose the card or it might corrupt...or, speaking from experience, you might step on it and lose everything. Don't ask.
I agree. And I have a "don't ask" incident as well. Take multiple memory cards.

If you have the camera set for a high resolution then you can take a picture with the interesting part in the center with lots of room around it. Then, when you get home, you can crop the picture for different sizes (i.e., HDTV, wallet, regular print, square, 5x7, 8x10, etc.) If you crop tightly when taking the picture you may get a great looking 4x6 photo that may not be useful for a 5x7 shot.

For my $0.02 worth, I carry a full frame Canon DSLR and two lenses plus a couple of filters and a tripod.
A co-worker confessed to me that he was a bad photographer but he also said that people loved his pictures. His secret? He would look for someone loaded with cameras and gear, walk up to them holding his camera and then asking him if he would take a picture for him too.

A co-worker confessed to me that he was a bad photographer but he also said that people loved his pictures. His secret? He would look for someone loaded with cameras and gear, walk up to them holding his camera and then asking him if he would take a picture for him too.
Wise beyond his years... :D He realized the best tool was right in front of him!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am on the Camino Via de la Plata at the moment. I carry a Nikon d80 with 18 - 200 zoom 1.3 kg. I use a flexible optech harness and have it on my body all day while walking. It is worth it but is a lot of work. I have hiked 10,000 km with it over last 5 years. Pm me if you want to know more.

My 1.5lb SLR is not going with me so I have started documenting with my Galaxy S5. I also purchased on line a small telephoto lense that will attach to it if wanted. I just added a 64gb memory card. Because of physical issues I shake, but have almost eliminated the blurry photos by using a selfie stick. And I have not taken a selfie of myself after all I see myself in the mirror daily.

The Pilgrims with the most pictures used their cell phone cameras...but really you want a small sport camera with minimum size and weight that is...waterproof...waterproof...waterproof...I used a Fujifilm XP 90 that worked great...the first big mistake is taking an expensive 35 mm style digital camera that is heavy, not weatherproof, and makes you a target for theft as a Pilgrim...the second big mistake is taking a digital camera that is not waterproof and I saw many die on my Camino...and purchasing a new digital camera on the Camino is not easy unless you are near a city...the third big mistake is buying a camera that is not easily used by other pilgrims to take a picture of yourself...and every time I was handed a camera I usually had to ask how do you take a picture and that primarily included cell phone cameras...and you don't need to bring a selfie stick because Pilgrims are willing to help but I saw many selfie sticks too...also buy a highly visible camera color (florescent orange or yellow) so you don't accidently leave your digital camera behind on the trail and I saw many Pilgrims going the wrong way to retrieve cell phone cameras....also buy a good heavy camera strap because I saw many digital cameras dropped particularly in the rain and wind...and lastly I backed up my pictures onto my Nook before going home so I had more than one copy of my pictures just in case I lost my camera. View attachment 23803
Some great advice Kurt. I'm curious, what is a Nook?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I took a point and shoot that needed 2 AA batteries. I suggest bringing about a total of 8 lithium batteries with you; they are light and in Spain they are hard to find and expensive if you do find them. I took maybe 5,000 shots along the camino in eight weeks and a pair of litium batteries would last about a week. For the times when I was out of them I would have to use regular AA batteries used for flashlights and sometimes they would not even last a day. These were available even in small shops though.
IF shopping for a lightweight travel camera, a rechargeable battery plus a spare weighs far less than carrying AA's. The battery on my compact Sony is good for about 400 - 600 photos before recharge. Charging cords are lightweight and compact, similar to iPhone plug ins. One plug in charger with a separate cord for your phone and your camera (assuming each has a different style connector) will cover all your needs.

Thanks everyone for the many opinions. Jordon has hit the point: I guess I need to decide what I want from my photographs.
Of course I want them to be as amazing as possible, but my Nikon is very heavy (having carried it in other holiday trips I can say my back really hurt at the end of the day) so I really don't want to carry that with me.
So I suppose that answers my own question... phone it is! I have some friends with some very recent phones, and I have seen the pictures they can take. The quality was astonishing - not as good as a DLR, but I'd probably be happy with that for my own memories. I am not much of a fan of iPhones, but they do have a decent camera... A friend of mine also has a Sony Xperia and the quality of some photos she showed me was so great that they almost looked 3d!

Buying a point and shoot is just not an option for me. It would feel like money wasted, as I used to have one and I know I will never use it again. Plus, given that I will be carrying a phone with me anyway, I'd rather just use that for pictures too and minimise the weight...
I suppose that's my decision made then. ;)

Thanks everyone for your opinions! You were a big help indeed.

One thing I forgot to mention. Write your name and contact information on a 3x5 note card or sticky note and take a photo of it for your first pic. I found a few cameras over the years and none of them had any information of ownership. The one I found last year had a photo of the owner standing at el perdon. As luck would have it,I recognized the owner on the trail outside of Melide. It saved me from carrying it all the way to SDC. If you have a Spanish phone number be sure to include that as well.
It's not the price of the camera that is important,it's the photos , eh!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Apart from the weight, I would never consider carrying such expensive kit on the Camino. Instead I take a little compact camera which only weighs 170 grams and runs on two AA batteries for which replacements can be purchased as needed.
I agree on the convenience of AA batteries. Power outlets are often at a premium in the albergues, and having a second charger in addition to your phone can sometimes by a problem since it inconveniences other pilgrims who want to charge their devices. Regular AA alkaline batteries can be purchased in any tienda along the way, but I prefer to use the longer-lasting lithium batteries (not the rechargeable lithium-ion type which require charging and are frowned on by the airlines). So if you use these types, bring a couple of sets of spares from home.

Someone else mentioned those external battery packs which can be used for recharging phones; these are great from anything that can be charged with a USB cable, which is 5 VDC. But I'm not aware of any compact camera which can be charged with a USB cable. Most have 7.2 VDC batteries and require an external charger. However, if your smartphone is your only camera, the external battery pack/chargers are great, especially if you use the kind that use replaceable AA batteries -- see my comment above regarding battery types.

BTW, my Camino camera was a Canon SX150is, and older 10x zoom camera with AA batteries.

That was my experience also with AA alkaline batteries. Stick with the lithiums.

A low tech way of doing this (with less accuracy though) is to take pictures of signs along the way. Or to write down a location, in the dirt if need be, and take a picture of that. Then, when editing pictures later, you can tell that a sequence of pictures were taken between town A and town B.

I would grab a picture of just any sign and then later try to take a fancier picture of a fancier sign (for a "Signs along the Camino" set.)
When using a compact camera that does not automatically update for location (timezone in particular), be sure to go into the camera menu and set the date and time for Spain before you start taking photos. That will help you at least get in the ballpark when trying to identify photo locations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lots of good advice here. A tough call......

Weight is a big consideration though.

I have a DSLR......Semi pro video cameras etc etc.

In the end I used my phone. A galaxy note 3. It never left my pocket. My tripod? Some thin dressmaking elastic, with which to strap it to a tree, a fence post....

Ok, as others have pointed out, the quality and particularly functionality is not as good as a 'real' camera. But it worked out great. I shot about 500 photos and hours of HD video....

To compare the quality, or lack of it.....my blog link is below.....

I'll use the same phone this year. A key feature is being able to carry a spare battery and memory card. Though I didn't even fill one 64 gb card..... I did swap the battery a few times.....

what is a Nook?

A Nook is a form of an electronic tablet (which I stored in an armored travel case) that I used for internet, e-mail, and electronic storage of all my travel plans...the Nook is sold at Barnes & Nobles but you can also purchase the optional "2-year no questions asked replacement policy" that included theft and any type of damage which was perfect for the Camino...also remember if you are planning to stay in an Albergue you have to carry all of your valuables on you including into the shower...so you don't want more valuables including a camera than will fit in a fanny pack or equivalent...basically in an Albergue a full 35 mm style camera becomes the equivalent of taking a baby with you because you will shower, eat, and sleep with it...lastly I really like the helmet camera idea with the intermittent picture setting if you want to automatically record your Camino.

Last edited:
I swear by my Lumix LX1, its small and light but has the real benefit of a small optional viewfinder as I find focusing screens difficult to see in bright light. Also you can wirelessly back up your pictures onto your smartphone or tablet and personally I upload everything to Dropbox when there's WiFi. It has a reasonable zoom but remember if the zoom isn't enough, move closer..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Left my full Canon 5d kit at home and took a small Panasonic Lumix. Photos were good enough to create a Blurb book of my camino on return. Of course not as good as photos from SLR but enough for the memories. Next time will bring a Fuji compact.

When using a compact camera that does not automatically update for location (timezone in particular), be sure to go into the camera menu and set the date and time for Spain before you start taking photos. That will help you at least get in the ballpark when trying to identify photo locations.
Another good tip is to note the sequential number you started/stopped with every day. I'm not sure if everyone does, but many people write in a journal to document their Camino. I did as well and part of my daily entry was the distance I walked and the end number of my photos that day. If you are using a phone that doesn't create photos with a number, just take a photo of your sello in your credenciale for that day and you'll know where you were on the date as well. Happy Shooting!

I make sure when I reach Spain that I set the correct date and time so it is linked to all my photos. Also when I enter or leave a village/town/city I photograph the sign with the name of the place which also helps me to know where the photos were taken.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
...Also when I enter or leave a village/town/city I photograph the sign with the name of the place which also helps me to know where the photos were taken.
That's a very good suggestion.

I have a Nikon slr as well as other expensive cameras that I have accumulated over the years. On my first Camino back in the early days I carried a Minolta SLR and it weighed more than my pack with all of the film,filters,lenses etc. I was young at the time and made do. Now , we are more civilized and have indoor plumbing so to speak. I would never carry my SLR because of the excess weight. Heck, I don't even use it when I travel locally. It is just too much trouble. I now use a Nikon cool pix,which takes high quality photos as well as videos with good sound options. It uses a SD card and you can take all of the photos and videos that you like. Last years Camino I took over 2,000 photos and only used a 32 gig card. I did not need the extra sd cards that I took with me. My problem is sorting out all of the photos. With digital photos it is so convenient to take pics and delete on the spot what you want to edit . Ain't it great.
The cool pix is about the size of a deck of cards and has a good zoom and all of the modern features along with a timer for those of us who travel solo. Get a small digital and take a plethora of photos and sort um out when you get home. This is just my opinion on your question, not my advice. Buen Camino
I've also used a Nikon coolpix - small, far, far more versatile than my phone and if it gets wet it doesn't matter. Also if it did get wrecked, it costs much less to replace than my phone! And the SD cards have tons of room.

I'm getting ready for my first camino (Portugues, this April).
I feel like it is going to be an unforgettable experience, and I am hoping and expecting to see some truly amazing sights. I quite like taking photographs, and of course I want to have some memories of my pilgrimage. So here's the dilemma. I have a professional camera, a Nikon, that takes stunning pictures but of course it is quite heavy and I'm very concerned about carrying all that weight with me. Plus, the hassle of getting it out of its case to take pictures, etc...
On the other hand, my phone is quite old and the camera is really poor quality.

Bearing in mind that my phone is already outdated, so I know I will have to replace it with a new one (with a better camera) in the next couple of years, I am thinking: is it worth investing the money for a better phone now and use that as camera? In this case, though, I would be a bit worried about carrying an expensive phone with me.

Any advice? What did other pilgrims do to take stunning photographs?
I took a $100 Canon Powershot. It was light weight and had a view finder ( handy to have on sunny days). I was very happy with the pictures I took and I took lots. Since I could carry it in my pocket, it was handy whenever I wanted to take a shot.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just took my phone. Besides the weight of the camera, I didn't want to worry about the security of where I put it. Kept my phone in my pocket. Pictures came out great. I emailed many home along the Way and someone made me a hard cover book with those photos. It is a treasure!

You can also buy a pocket camera with WiFi and build in GPS like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 or other brand/model so you have the exact position of the photo you took. You have the same option in your smartphone, but mine got switched of by leaving the camera app, so that I missed some locations.
As for any equipment get to use it properly before your holiday/camino ;)
I will take both smartphone and lightweight camera:D

Update: There exist an USB cradle to charge the battery (DMW-BCM13), otherwise you can charge it directly in the camera with usb cable :)

Last edited:
This is definitely a subject that people are passionate about! so many good replies here.

I had the same concerns as you. I was wary of bringing my Canon full frame DSLR (6D), so I purchased a very nice and compact mirrorless Canon EOSM. It was a great camera. I kept it secured to my backpack straps with a Peak Designs Capture Clip so it was always at hand. it did a fine fine job. The nice thing is that it can use all my other lenses as well. So, it wasn't just a one-time use purchase for me. I use it all the time as a secondary/tertiary camera for shoots.

That being said, I wish I had brought my 6D. Sure, it's a little heavier and takes up more space, but it can still be kept at easy reach with the capture clip and I would have been using a more familiar/higher quality tool. The weight certainly wouldn't have been an issue. My say is to take your Nikon and do whatever you can to keep it at hand.

€60,-
I used a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and a Sony a6000 with one 30 mm lens and one 19 mm lens on my CP last summer. I use the phone for diary snaps and camera for photos. Sometimes i really miss my tripod and filters but have decided that I can do without them.

You can see pics from the Xperia here:
https://goo.gl/photos/3U5Kvx8cv6BPYXak7
And the camera here:
https://goo.gl/photos/3U5Kvx8cv6BPYXak7

Beatrice, thanks for your links, but they both redirect me to the same page.
P.S.
What gorgeous pictures! Now I really can't wait to leave!!

I used a Fujifilm X100T last September-October, very happy with the IQ, small enough to keep in a waist pack.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I haven't done my Camino yet, but FWIW, I am planning to take my Panasonic Lumix Micro Four Thirds camera with a backpack attachment like the one mentioned up thread. I switched from a DSLR to the micro 4:3 system a few years ago and I love it! They are smaller and lighter than a DSLR but allow for a lot of manual capability if you want it, and the lenses are interchangeable not only within brand, but across all micro 4:3 bodies. I use my grandfather's Olympus lenses on my body and vice versa, which means you can look for the best deals/lenses and not be tied to the body brand, which is a fantastic 'perk' imo.

I think if you are someone who enjoys taking and having photos, it's worth it to have the extra weight. Someone like my husband, who never thinks to stop and take photos, is probably better served by a phone or tiny camera to have when he occasionally needs it. If you'll enjoy it on and after the Camino, I think trying to bring a camera you are comfortable with (and a way to keep it accessible) will likely be worth it.

good luck!

There are some comments about having your camera safe and accessible so thought I'd share the camera bag I use for the Camino. It's a Pacsafe V11 (11 litres gives plenty of space for my DSLR and an extra lens and filters, etc, plus my iPad and phone) front wearing camera bag that can be configured so the straps either cross in the back (extra security in crowded places) or left apart which will be better when wearing a full backpack on the back. During our days off and nights about town this pack easily becomes a backpack so the camera is always safely with me. It has a built-in rain cover and wire anti-slashing straps and mesh on the front, bottom and sides to keep anyone from a slash and run. Not a big issue on the Camino I think but in Brazil this was a requirement!
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 6.45.13 AM.png

dslr user here,

Tryed to NOT taking my Nikon (badic dx model, nothong fancy...) on various citytrips, nature walks, etc. Regretted it EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!

NOTHING has been invented so far that can give you the ease of use, battery life and trigger response of a cheap dslr ( so if you've got an expensive dslr you're really out of luck) and taking pictures with anything else will only frustrate you as a photographer (well, I haven't tryed a digital Leica M yet...)

Buen camino, which ever you choose

Miguel de Flandes

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.