• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain Gear Product opinions please

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have used Frogg Toggs. Rain can be intermittent requiring getting into and out of the pants and jacket before they become a sauna. Removing the pants requires sitting, often a wet activity after it has rained. Pulling the pants off over boots leaves the inside covered in mud. Additionally, you need a separate rain cover for your pack. In one heavy rain the water cascaded of the rain jacket down my back right into the pack cover forming a puddle that then wicked up into my pack. I don't recommend a rain suit!!! An Altus or Packa poncho avoid all the problems I mentioned.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I heartily agree with @falcon269 - I have used the 'old' Altus, the lightweight one and now (because I use Pacerpoles) prefer my Helsport poncho. You could look into the combined weight of a poncho and gaiters to stay dry? Gaiters can be velcroed or zipped onto your lower legs after the rest of you - and your pack - is safely inside the poncho, so could keep you drier than a rain suit.

My Altus comes quite a long way down my shins - long enough so that I can hitch my macabi skirt or roll up my walking pants to keep them dry. Wet bare ankles don't worry me too much.

Very good feedback! Being bathed in sweat and to trying to get changed while wet sound like lessons I'd rather not learn.

Thank You.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 10 years of walking the Camino, having tried rain suits, different ponchos, I have to say I love my ALTUS.
It covers me to my ankles, keeps out the wind and rain.
If you keep it open at the neck, the condensation is not bad.
If I get cold at night, it doubles as a very good blanket.
I vote for ALTUS!

The only trouble with the Altus or other ponchos is the "sailing" factor the heavier wind. I had trouble with it on the Hospitales route of the Primitivo in September. Otherwise prefer it to a rain suit.

A simple webbing belt might help, many carry or wear them anyway to keep clothes on if they lose lots of weight. Also helps stop the billowing effect if the wind gets too bad.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I contacted Barrebes who made the Altus- they changed it out for the Altus Atmospheric New and though listed on their site, they were not findable.
Barrebes informed me that the New version had too many issues and they no longer make the Altus, period
(so did the cost of a used one just sky rocket??)
hmm someone needs to create a service that transports all abandoned items in Santiago back to start places so they actually can be used by entering pilgrims
nanc

I gave ponchos a go but they don't work for me personally. I love my Marmot PreCip ( http://marmot.com/products/details/precip-jacket-new ) along with my pack cover and interior lined with a trash compactor bag (just in case). Arc'teryx has awesome rain gear but they are not cheap at all (I've borrowed, but haven't made the purchase)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Coming from the UK I'm used to wearing waterproof jacket and trousers, it's what I have. Looking at the Froggs website they say "highly breathable" but, frankly, I have my doubts; you may end up loosing a lot of weight in a lightweight sweatsuit. Take note of what others familiar with Camino conditions suggest although, personally, I can't get on with capes. Good Luck.

This is an interesting option for those wanting to keep their pack dry without wearing a billowing poncho. It's made by Outdoor Reseach and is called a Pack Hoody. I have one and only part I'm not too fond of is how the hood is attached to your breast strap.
pack-hoody-main.jpg

the OR pack hoody seems to be discontinued too :-(
nanc

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For those looking for and not finding an Altus, we found an almost identical product in El Cortes Ingles, in the store near the Puerta del Sol in Madrid. I am very sorry I did not keep a note of the brand name (it was a gift) but I compared it to my (old, reliable) Altus and it looked almost exactly the same - even down to the boring colours. It was about 45 euros.

I don't find the Altus blows out like a poncho, because it is more like a raincoat. I'm with Annie. Not that it is perfect, but it is the most reliable and, for me, the best choice.

I haven't tried a poncho in about 30 years but used them a lot when in the military. Hated them at the time. The billowing factor and internal condensation.

Modern versions may be good....

I use a very light gortex rain jacket and same in trousers, that have full length zips. So easy to step in and out of.

Very waterproof. Rain proof. Wind proof. And very breathable. No condensation build up inside.

not cheap though. That's the downside.

We have been using Frogg Togs for years. to cover our leathers while riding our motorcycles and they area great. We purchased FT jacket with pockets for the camino and quickly returned them after one rainie hike. They are to not breathable enough and are heavy. We purchased light rain gear from REI.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have used Frogg Toggs on motorcycle rides. They have been good at keeping me dry, but do not breath at all. I am doing a short Camino next month and will be bringing lightweight more breathable rain gear purchased (and much more expensive) from REI. I think that the Frogg Toggs are good in case of emergency, but not ideal if expecting several days of rain.

I've been hiking for 50+ years and I've never liked ponchos. Last year I had good luck with Marmot precip coat and pants - light weight and worked well in heavy rain last year.

I have used Frogg Toggs. Rain can be intermittent requiring getting into and out of the pants and jacket before they become a sauna. Removing the pants requires sitting, often a wet activity after it has rained. Pulling the pants off over boots leaves the inside covered in mud. Additionally, you need a separate rain cover for your pack. In one heavy rain the water cascaded of the rain jacket down my back right into the pack cover forming a puddle that then wicked up into my pack. I don't recommend a rain suit!!! An Altus or Packa poncho avoid all the problems I mentioned.
Love the Packa. I did seal the seams. I could not figure out why it came with big zipper openings from underneath the sleeves to the side seams. Dah, it took one wearing to realize that if I did not use the zippers, it doubled as my own personal sauna. I could wear it as a pack cover on days of possible rain and then reach back and pull out the jacket components without taking off my pack. Expensive but worth it for me. Elin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After buying several hundreds of dollars in rain gear, - from Helly Hansen, to Patagonia, and the Marmot, I have found the best rain gear I've ever had. For the past 3 years I've used the Rab eVent on multiple backpacking trips including CDS and Torres del Paine in Chile without a problem. Did not feel uncomfortable even if I had to wear it most of the day. Wouldn't change it for anything else.
Here's a link:
http://rab.equipment/us/shop/men/event

Ultreïa!

Mary

I contacted Barrebes who made the Altus- they changed it out for the Altus Atmospheric New and though listed on their site, they were not findable.
Barrebes informed me that the New version had too many issues and they no longer make the Altus, period
(so did the cost of a used one just sky rocket??)
hmm someone needs to create a service that transports all abandoned items in Santiago back to start places so they actually can be used by entering pilgrims
nanc

Sell my Altus? You'd have to prise it from my cold, dead hand . . . .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try to test with an umbrella. I do it.
Buen Camino

https://www.etsy.com/listing/263080734/camino-rain-poncho-with-backpack-cover?ref=shop_home_active_9. Some enterprising peregrina is selling gear on her etsy shop. What do y'all experienced peregrinos think about the raincoat she has up? Thinking about giving it a go!

It's also available for less on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JLB3HGS/?tag=casaivar02-20

The only review online there suggests that it has the same problem as most rain gear -- that your sweat makes the inside as wet as the outside.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife used Frogg Toggs and loved them! Super light weight,reasonably waterproof and the jacket actually fit over her pack.

Has anyone had experience with this rain suit? I'm starting the CF in early April and I will need to bring rain gear, 295 grams seems fairly light.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/the-frogg-toggsr-ultra-lite2tm-17341.html

Thanks,

mike
Several years ago I bought some Frogg Toggs for a fishing trip. Tried them out before the trip. Donated them to Goodwill. Not worth the cost.

Not water proof.

Don't breathe.

Basically you are wearing a sauna.

For my upcoming Camino I'll be bringing my tried and true Marmot jacket and Mountain Hardware rain pants. My wife is bringing a Ferrino Poncho (similar to the Altus but Ferrino is available in the USA)

poncho, rain jacked or umbrella, all are options for camino walking. very much depending on personal preferences, but the quality usually correlates with price. so far for all my adventures (including camino) the combination of a light rain jacked (Marmot Precip) with a trekking umbrella (Euroschirm) have been just fine. usually in summer I do not care about dry legs, therefore neither waterproof pants nor footwear. they just have to be fast drying ones.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Someone here recommended Macinsac rain pants. I was fortunate to not need them, but they are super light and fold quite small.

So I have decided on gators. I have a great rain coat/shell. I have an REI rain cover for my pack. The more I watch YouTube, etc. the more I see clips of people with ponchos that cover them and their packs. The look very light and flimsy and seem to blow all over in the wind. Those are not the Altos Poncho's are they?

Thanks Melensdad for the tip about the Ferrino brand for those of us in America. I will check it out.
In the meantime, it looks to be a very wet April and I am still not sure if I need the poncho on top of my other rain gear. I am interested in others who have done well in the rain without a poncho.
Thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So I have decided on gators. I have a great rain coat/shell. I have an REI rain cover for my pack. The more I watch YouTube, etc. the more I see clips of people with ponchos that cover them and their packs. The look very light and flimsy and seem to blow all over in the wind. Those are not the Altos Poncho's are they?

Thanks Melensdad for the tip about the Ferrino brand for those of us in America. I will check it out.
In the meantime, it looks to be a very wet April and I am still not sure if I need the poncho on top of my other rain gear. I am interested in others who have done well in the rain without a poncho.
Thanks!
Gators ? We bought a set at REI and tried them out. We returned them because regular rain pants worked better for us because they are lighter and easier to put on or remove. If we were creating our own trail walking through tail grass or our shins needed extra protection gators would have been great. Also the rain pants cost less.

If only we could walk in a bubble where we stay dry and the rain falls all around us. I have participated in so many of these threads, looking year after year for the best rain gear and have finally decided that it is an impossible dream.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/wet-weather-clothing.35680/#post-331453

If what you read on line or hear from experienced long distance hikers is true, none of this will keep you dry when the rain is endless. http://sectionhiker.com/why-does-rain-gear-wet-out/

I think the choice in rain gear depends on whether you walk in warm or cold seasons. If you walk in fall or winter, then something like the Ferrino makes sense, because it has a metallic lining whose function is to increase/maintain your body temperature. Of course if you walk in the Ferrino when it's warm, increasing your body temperature inside your rain poncho just leads to a pool of sweat. I was so happy when I got my Ferrino and wore it on the Levante, which I started in early May. We had one or two sustained rainstorms, and I saw that within minutes of the rain starting I was sweating inside my Ferrino. SYates later informed me on the forum that it was because the Ferrino metallic lining was doing what it is supposed to do, that is increase your body temperature. Great, but hypothermia is not a problem in southern Spain in May!

If you walk in summer, something with lots of vents for body heat to escape seems to be just as effective as those expensive gor-tex Marmot clothes, the Altus poncho, etc etc. I have a collection of raingear, expensive and cheap, that could fill a small botique. According to some pretty savvy hikers I know, people who don't sweat inside their ponchos are either not producing enough body heat to cause condensation or are walking in rain that hasn't reached the saturation point of the outerwear yet, or both. That suggests that slowing your pace may be a good way to keep you dry inside the poncho, but then of course that means that you are walking longer in the rain! But hope springs eternal, and I'm not opposed to continuing the search for perfect raingeear.

Thanks!

No, I'd say it wasn't the Altus blowing about. They're called "ponchos" but in reality they are just very long rainjackets with a bit of extra material in the back to accommodate a backpack underneath. They have proper sleeves to the wrist, front zipper from bottom edge to neck, solid sides, durable material - nothing to flap about at all. The Ferrino Trekkers are the same.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone had experience with this rain suit? I'm starting the CF in early April and I will need to bring rain gear, 295 grams seems fairly light.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/the-frogg-toggsr-ultra-lite2tm-17341.html

Thanks,

mike

Mike:

I am not familiar with this specific rain gear. That said, rain gear, imo, is far more preferential than Ponchos. Most ponchos I have seen on the Camino's require two people to put on. They blow around in the wind and usually do not protect legs. Rain gear is easy to put on, imo and is a great wind breaker. Most rain pants have zippers on the lower legs and are easy to put over shoes/boots. They also rinse right off. As far as your pack, just buy one with an attached rain cover (most Osprey's).

Ultreya,
Joe

If only we could walk in a bubble where we stay dry and the rain falls all around us. I have participated in so many of these threads, looking year after year for the best rain gear and have finally decided that it is an impossible dream.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/wet-weather-clothing.35680/#post-331453

If what you read on line or hear from experienced long distance hikers is true, none of this will keep you dry when the rain is endless. http://sectionhiker.com/why-does-rain-gear-wet-out/

I think the choice in rain gear depends on whether you walk in warm or cold seasons. If you walk in fall or winter, then something like the Ferrino makes sense, because it has a metallic lining whose function is to increase/maintain your body temperature. Of course if you walk in the Ferrino when it's warm, increasing your body temperature inside your rain poncho just leads to a pool of sweat. I was so happy when I got my Ferrino and wore it on the Levante, which I started in early May. We had one or two sustained rainstorms, and I saw that within minutes of the rain starting I was sweating inside my Ferrino. SYates later informed me on the forum that it was because the Ferrino metallic lining was doing what it is supposed to do, that is increase your body temperature. Great, but hypothermia is not a problem in southern Spain in May!

If you walk in summer, something with lots of vents for body heat to escape seems to be just as effective as those expensive gor-tex Marmot clothes, the Altus poncho, etc etc. I have a collection of raingear, expensive and cheap, that could fill a small botique. According to some pretty savvy hikers I know, people who don't sweat inside their ponchos are either not producing enough body heat to cause condensation or are walking in rain that hasn't reached the saturation point of the outerwear yet, or both. That suggests that slowing your pace may be a good way to keep you dry inside the poncho, but then of course that means that you are walking longer in the rain! But hope springs eternal, and I'm not opposed to continuing the search for perfect raingeear.

Laurie:

It has been my experience that I sweat whether I am in rain gear or walking in a t-shirt.

Joe

Mike:

I am not familiar with this specific rain gear. That said, rain gear, imo, is far more preferential than Ponchos. Most ponchos I have seen on the Camino's require two people to put on. They blow around in the wind and usually do not protect legs. Rain gear is easy to put on, imo and is a great wind breaker. Most rain pants have zippers on the lower legs and are easy to put over shoes/boots. They also rinse right off. As far as your pack, just buy one with an attached rain cover (most Osprey's).

Ultreya,
Joe
FroggToggs are excellent rain gear and break the wind. I would not recommend them for backpacking they are heavy and air doesn't circulate well through them. I have a set that I use to ride my motorcycle in the rain and they work well for that. I bought a new FroggTogg coat to try for walking my Camino next March. I used it once and returned it and purchased another rain suit from REI.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
For what it is worth, we walked for 2 weeks from SJPdP to Burgos last March, and we had snow and rain every day but one. We just used fitted rain-gear jackets and pants with a pack cover for the pack. You can get an idea of what I'm talking about from my picture. I have some (now out of business) GoLite gear, and my wife had Marmot Precip. We wrapped our down sleeping bags in a kitchen liner bag for extra good measure and we were fine.

It is really a personal choice, but after much backpacking I prefer something tidy and close to the body. As others have mentioned, it is sometimes difficult to stay completely dry due to sweating under even the best gear. I've sweated in fitted gear and ponchos. But a little damp (so long as I'm warm) never bothers me much. So long as I'm wearing synthetic layers, it all dries off in a hurry. Pit-zips are a big plus. So is something with a small lip or bill on the hood so water drips past your face instead of on it.

I have to confess, though, that I absolutely love walking in the snow and rain and look forward to it. There is something about walking in a storm that is exhilarating. :) One of our fond memories from our last trip was finally finding a small covered picnic bench during a steady rain so we could have our well-deserved picnic lunch in something approaching dryness.

We are back again this March to get us another 2 weeks down The Way. It will be spring again, so I'm sure we'll get some interesting weather. I can't wait.

Buen Camino!

@peregrina2000 is spot on. I've tried (and now own) so many different combinations of raingear! A cupboard full of jackets, everything from my long 3 layer Goretex to the lightest Event, plus ponchos galore.

Nothing is better than an umbrella. Unfortunately it is not much good in wind and driving rain.

My current practice is to wear no raingear if the weather is hot and stormy and rely on the unbrella if possible. And put up with getting wet; this is where merino is great. If it's cold I don the Altus, under the umbrella provided the wind is not too strong. Pull it open and closed at the front and sometimes take my arms out of the sleeves. Wish it had pit zips. I believe the Packa has great pit zips but it is too short and tight for my liking.

Ah well. Its all part of the Camino - reconnecting with nature, and knowing that getting wet is just the beginning of getting dry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've covered all the bases an have probably lost my mind! I now have 2 ponchos, one being the Ferrino. Today I fell in love with the Marmot precip jacket and purchased that. I probably could have someone walk beside me with an umbrella for the same cost. The current forecast for most of the route looks like rain for the next 10 days, so I'm blaming that for over reacting. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your insights!

Mike

Try event fabric pants & coat, if too expensive simply go with all other recommended stuff. As you will get wet, muddy & sweaty. It's all good, the more difficult the better you realize how well our ancestry gave us quite a marvelous body

Umbrella's, imo, are nothing but extra weight. They are of no value in the wind. A parasol might be of some value in Mid-Summer ;).

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sell my Altus? You'd have to prise it from my cold, dead hand . . . .
:) We have similar feelings about our original Rohan ponchos. The later models went from 'not as good' to (IMO) 'no good' with a pack. They too have been withdrawn. Very sad when a product that really works gets changed for something that is less useful and then stops altogether.

Edit:- Just found this thread which might help the OP
vaude-poncho-review

Are they similar to crocs?
Lol.... Only in name!
I love my gators.... Good in rain/ long grass.. Keep stones out your boots.
As for ponchos.... Look for a cycling poncho... Cycling is big in London and there are so many to choose from. They tend to be more fitted and shorter.

Unfortunately most cycling ponchos tend to be longer in the front (to cover the handlebars) whereas peregrinos need ponchos longer in the back to cover the backpack

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For those looking for and not finding an Altus, we found an almost identical product in El Cortes Ingles, in the store near the Puerta del Sol in Madrid. I am very sorry I did not keep a note of the brand name (it was a gift) but I compared it to my (old, reliable) Altus and it looked almost exactly the same - even down to the boring colours. It was about 45 euros.

I don't find the Altus blows out like a poncho, because it is more like a raincoat. I'm with Annie. Not that it is perfect, but it is the most reliable and, for me, the best choice.
I've been to that store and area!

Opinions opinious opinious :) I take my umbrella over any poncho any day of the week twice on Sunday ✌

Zzotte

I like an umbrella too, but if it is windy it is not much use.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
An umbrella is inconvenient with trekking poles; I will take the poles, given the choice.
There are umbrellas made to be used hands free, with a longer shaft and special clips to put on your backpack. Also, I walked with a number of Spaniards member of their local walking club and they all used regular umbrellas, which they had rigged themselves to their backpack.

An umbrella is inconvenient with trekking poles; I will take the poles, given the choice.
I know what you mean, my is hands free and I hike with both umbrella and tracking poles and when you get used to it (just a bit of an adjustment) its like Amex never leave home without it :) don't get some of the cheap ones my its great when its driven rain or the wind its blasting some of them I seen flip and flops not mine steady, another benefit its that you open your rain jacket for fresh air as needed so sweating and clammy and in the heat it makes a huge difference when you walk under your personal shade spot :cool:

Zzotte

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/263080734/camino-rain-poncho-with-backpack-cover?ref=shop_home_active_9. Some enterprising peregrina is selling gear on her etsy shop. What do y'all experienced peregrinos think about the raincoat she has up? Thinking about giving it a go!
My husband never stops buying new gear, so needless to say he bought this rain contraption! He used it on a 2 week backpacking trip on the Wind River Range in Wyoming, and he was sweating and very uncomfortable with it; I brought along my RAB, and no problem at all. My Granite Gear pack cover is extremely light, inexpensive and very effective too.
So, even if someone gave me this "rain-poncho-pack cover", there is no way I'd wear it -because I already sweat plenty just in my t-shirt! I'd rather use an umbrella:)

Ultreïa!

Mary

My home-made pack cover / shoulder cape has worked very well for me over the last couple of years. I will use it again this year on el Norte, with the addition of a home-made rain kilt and possibly gaiters. I wear a berghaus rain jacket and if I get hot I pull up the sleeves above the elbows and this acts as a very efficient heat control.

I'm expecting to encounter more rain on this Camino, but if the rain kilt does not do its job, it will be getting dumped en Route.
image.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back