• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training Question

QuailHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
I realize that training and getting into “Camino shape” is very specific to each individual, but I’m hopeful of getting feedback from Camino veterans. I am a 65-year old male planning to do the Camino Frances this spring. I run regularly (around 15+ miles each week), with a weekly long run of about 6 miles. I also backpack, carrying between 40 and 50 pounds for week-long trips. My question is how much walking should I do in advance of my Camino? I’ve done one long walk (~ 8 miles) so far, and plan to continue my running regimen until the Camino, possibly with a half-marathon about a month before I leave. Will this reasonably substitute for walking, or do I also need to do long walks back-to-back to better prepare me for the “daily grind”? Thanks!

Fred

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Heck, you sound like you are in way better shape than the average pilgrim.
I've done three Camino Frances in my fifties with no prior specific training besides the weight lifting and running I do anyway. I had no problems besides the usual sore knees and feet everyone gets.
Just pack as light and practical as you can. Just like when you do actual backpacking. The Camino isn't backpacking in the traditional sense. More like really long day hikes.
cheers

I would add that regardless of the mileage that you put on pre-Camino, try to do as much of it as possible with your loaded pack on. I trained for months in advance without a pack on and the first day of the Camino with a loaded pack made my hips feel like they were about 1 degree away from spontaneous combustion!
Buen Camino
Jordon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It seems you have your bases covered on cardio. You don't mention strength training. The ascents and descents of the CF can be hard on knees, quads, glutes and hamstrings. I did one legged squats and step ups prior to my Camino, both with 40 lbs of weights added (2-20 lb Dumbbells). I also found core strength to be really important in keeping the back safe when carrying a 22 lb pack day upon day. I do push-ups and scissor & bicycle kicks on a foam roller for core strength.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My suggestion is to work into it progressively over the first week or so of the Camino itself, which will provide the necessary training, provided you don't overdo things too early. Your single day fitness is already there, let alone after finishing the half-marathon. The question will be the accumulated effect of day after day. That was the part I underestimated and had to adjust to or risk tendinitis.

Your Camino backpack need be no more than 14-20 lbs, so it will feel lightweight indeed compared to your more traditional "turtle back" backpacking trips. If you're used to serious three-day mountain backpacking trips with a heavy pack, then you've also got the requisite leg strength for the Camino. (I'm from Colorado, so the Pyrenees and Picos are more like foothills, from the perspective of both training and altitude.)

I realize that training and getting into “Camino shape” is very specific to each individual, but I’m hopeful of getting feedback from Camino veterans. I am a 65-year old male planning to do the Camino Frances this spring. I run regularly (around 15+ miles each week), with a weekly long run of about 6 miles. I also backpack, carrying between 40 and 50 pounds for week-long trips. My question is how much walking should I do in advance of my Camino? I’ve done one long walk (~ 8 miles) so far, and plan to continue my running regimen until the Camino, possibly with a half-marathon about a month before I leave. Will this reasonably substitute for walking, or do I also need to do long walks back-to-back to better prepare me for the “daily grind”? Thanks!

Fred
I did the Camino Frances last summer for the first time. Being from Iowa, I walked lots of relatively flat terrain for 3-10 miles here and there. In hindsight, I wish I would have spent more time working on going up and down rather than distances because that was honestly harder for me. I would get your knees used to going up and especially down. The impact was much tougher than I had imaged and I'm only 30. Hope that helps, and buen camino!

I think that actually being on Camino will fine-tune what you may have missed in your already-established workouts.

As C clearly said, make sure you are happy with your boots and clothes and gear. Make sure that you will be able to layer to warm up, and take things off fast as needed to cool down. Have rain gear quickly and easily accessible. Pack light.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Being a runner gives you no guarantees that all will be fine on the camino. Running and walking are two totally different things. Trust me, i know. As a runner i can say, i've been there :)

You are in better shape than most pilgrims out there. If you make sure your footwear is good (trail/runners i take it??) all wil probably be good.

I did the CF last year from SJPP, with only a few training hikes prior since I was busy working. Now, I'm 30 so obviously we are coming from different angles here, but you are likely already in good enough shape. Your body will be tired and sore, because walking 20-30km every day has that effect, regardless of your training.

I would suggest replacing your runs with longer walks with a pack. Nothing crazy, but a few 10km walks will do wonders :)

The key, though, is footwear. Having well-fitting, comfortable footwear is what makes or breaks a Camino imho. :)

Thanks, folks! Sounds like some longer walks with the loaded pack I intend to carry would be prudent, along with adding some lunges and similar lower-body work to bi-weekly strength sessions. I've been wearing my intended shoes for a while now (Merrell Blaze Mid) and am pretty pleased with the fit and weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Quail, I think you will not have any problems walking however many miles you want based on your fitness level already, if are not doing it maybe its a good time to start its some leg and back work like squats, lunges and as some of the members suggested school bleachers it does wonders for the legs and it will help with climbing do some dead lifts and you are set, as you know, running, walking and climbing uses all different muscle groups. One more thing drop the weight of your pack spring? IMHO 10 lbs plus food and water its going to be more then enough :)

Buen Camino
Zzotte

You don't say where you are starting. If it is from StJPdP, I would agree that perhaps more up/ down hill workouts with the weight you will be walking with. Many folks over- do their training. Most important no matter how fit you are; take it easy the first two days . Welcome and Buen Camino.

Walking is the best exercise for walking - and lots of the ascents on the CF rise steadily - just make sure beforehand that your footwear doesn't give you blisters - and pack as light as you can - buy a 20L pack and force yourself to make hard choices before you leave home

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with Mark (first reply). You appear to be "fit", as your load on the Camino should be a lot lighter - say less than 25 lbs (12 kg) including water and daily snacks - you might be tempted to "fly" up the first day's hills. My suggestion - take the first 3-5 days slow and steady; get for feet and body "camino fit", this breaking-in may take from St Jean to Pamplona. Buen Camino and Good luck - go and enjoy!!:)

Will this reasonably substitute for walking, or do I also need to do long walks back-to-back to better prepare me for the “daily grind”?

Heck, you sound like you are in way better shape than the average pilgrim.

ry to do as much of it as possible with your loaded pack on

The ascents and descents of the CF can be hard

just start slowly and enjoy the walk

I'm from Colorado, so the Pyrenees and Picos are more like foothills

I wish I would have spent more time working on going up and down rather than distances

perhaps more up/ down hill workouts with the weight you will be walking with

@QuailHiker, as you can see I've garnered the points I would make to extend your training. Just in case you missed the points:
  1. do lots of ascents and descents with your expected load;
  2. keep your load light; under 6.5 kg (14 lb?) including water. This is not a fetish thing. If you really need something you will be able to buy it on the way. But is it a need or a want?
  3. start slowly and enjoy
Kia kaha (be strong)

No training...I broke my wrist the Summer before so I had to delay a year and I was not in great shape...but I made it 1,000 km across Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For people starting with a high level of fitness, I think the biggest whammy on the Camino turns out to be the large amount of asphalt pounding that your feet take. So many excellent athletes wind up with tendonitis/shin splints. Ironically, perhaps, the condition may plague the better conditioned pilgrims more because they will be the ones walking the longest daily distances. I sing this song on every thread where it seems appropriate, but I highly recommend icing your shins after long days on asphalt, as prevention. If you wear orthotics, make sure they are not hard plastic. And when you are walking on the Camino, keep an eye out for any off-road alternative on those asphalt stretches. Lots of times you will see that people have worn down a dirt alternative alongside the fancy paved path. I go to ridiculous lengths to get off asphalt, but my shins appreciate it. Buen camino, Laurie

Fred, I agree with what most here are saying.
You appear to be in fine shape - MOST pilgrims (including me) do their training on the Camino by just starting out slowly and working their distance up.
Taking it slow on asphalt is good advice, like Laurie says.
Buen Camino!

I second the comments on feet. We were in really good aerobic shape when we started from SJPP. We flew up the Pyrenees without too much trouble. Other than some knee pain from wear and tear, the only problems (and they were big problems) we had were feet. It's tough to simulate 25k/day for 30 days walking with a pack on hard packed earth or pavement without....well.....walking 25k/day for 30days with a pack on hard packed earth or pavement.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One of the great gifts of getting older is that we discover our limits, and we learn how to get every last ounce of benefit from within those limits.

My son flew up and down the first three days out of SJPdP to show his "old man" how easily he could walk me into the ground, and he struggled with tendinitis in his knee the rest of the trip. Meanwhile, this overweight, out-of-shape, "old man" walked more slowly with short strides and never had a problem. By Santiago, the hare bowed to the tortoise.

I think conditioning the feet is key. That hard packed dirt and pavement day after day really did my feet in. We hike a lot, but on dirt paths and trails, and usually only a couple days in a row at most. Walking many hours every day is very different. My fitness level was totally fine, but my feet were really sore. Long training walks cant stimulate the 25km walks day after day, but at least you can get your feet somewhat conditioned to it. Better than starting from scratch.

One of the great gifts of getting older is that we discover our limits, and we learn how to get every last ounce of benefit from within those limits.

My son flew up and down the first three days out of SJPdP to show his "old man" how easily he could walk me into the ground, and he struggled with tendinitis in his knee the rest of the trip. Meanwhile, this overweight, out-of-shape, "old man" walked more slowly with short strides and never had a problem. By Santiago, the hare bowed to the tortoise.

Ahh, Koilife, I have seen this happen so often on the Camino. Those immortal, invincible young-uns frequently wind up like this. My theory is that their cardiovascular system is in such good shape that they don't huff and puff like we may, but as a result they go a lot farther and a lot faster and put much more stress on their muscular-skeletal systems. But in my experience at least, the only way some of these young men (almost always men) will learn the lesson is to crash into the wall themselves. Glad that he was able to make it, because I've seen a number who just can't finish because of the race out of the starting box. Is he coming with you again this summer? Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ahh, Koilife, I have seen this happen so often on the Camino. Those immortal, invincible young-uns frequently wind up like this. . . .
But in my experience at least, the only way some of these young men (almost always men) will learn the lesson is to crash into the wall themselves. Glad that he was able to make it, because I've seen a number who just can't finish because of the race out of the starting box.
The refrain to a Rush song applies here:

We are young, wandering the face of the earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time

That can be a hard lesson, but sooner or later we all learn it.
Is he coming with you again this summer? Buen camino, Laurie
Kaleb is my oldest son. He graduates high school this May and is working a summer job so he can afford his car! This summer, I'm making pilgrimage with my 15 year old middle son, Joel. In 2018, my youngest son and I will walk the Norte from the cathedral in Bayonne. I had only planned on going once, solo. But my wife turned it into a father/son rite of passage. (In hindsight, she is much wiser than I!)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ya peregrina2000 you are so right, it's one thing go for a 10 mile run two times per week and walking 15 miles every single day with a pack it sure takes getting use to

Zzotte

You will cruse along, my real reason for training with a full pack is to test my gear./clothes/ shoes. What others recommend is vetted & many have great ideas.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Fred
Hello Fred,
You have received one of the best collection of responses I have read on any forum. Seems, most agree, you are more physically prepared than most pilgrims. Agree with leg exercises: lunges, weighted squats and lots of step up and down exercises. Also agree with many who encouraged a careful start - you are not doing a marathon, but a long and wonderful journey, one step at a time!
My only wee addition to the wonderful feedback and encouragement you have received is to look at the forum on "blisters." These little bubbles could make or break a Camino - or certainly make your steps painful and your walk most unenjoyable because of pain - be prepared!
Hopefully your pack is light (10-12 lbs) in no more than a 45-50 liter pack. Two sets of first and second layers; one good vest and a fleece. The best raincoat you can buy - "Outdoor Gear" has a recent review and rating. Light weight walking sticks a must from my experience (and bring an extra set of quality rubber tips - I lost one down a drain when my stick got stuck in a drainage cover and it came off when I tugged on it!). Hat, Buff and soft gloves, two pair of pants, good wool socks and two pair of shoes and you are fully prepared.
Can't wait to read your reflections after this great experience.
Buen Camino
Thomas

Fred

We sound a bit similiar, although I'm 76. I put in about the sames miles a week as you do (15), but it's more of a fast shuffle or slow jog. I usually do individual legs of 7.5 miles in about 1:52. Over the last two weeks did a 7.5 miler in 2:04 or 16:36 a mile with 15 lbs on my back. Yesterday I did 12 or so miles with the same weight in my backpack at a little over 18 minutes a mile. Resulted in some very sore feet and a right hip that felt as if it was coming out of joint. I can't imagine carrying 40-50 lbs on my back, so I assume that was for very short distances. In the past I did 5 marathons (the last at age 62) and probably 8-10 halves, so I think I know what I'm getting into. It's mentally prepared me for the discomfort and pain. I'm starting in Burgos, so will be doing about 12 miles a day to St. James. I think that is doable. But, I realize 12 miles per day, each day will beat me down. I feel I'm up to it, so am not terribly concerned (just a bit anxious). I busted my rear on the 7.5 and 12 milers with weights, but realize I will back off to a comfortable walk of 25-30 minues per mile on the Camino, with some breaks along the way to refresh myself. In other words, I think you are very well prepared for the journey...probably more so than myself. And by the way.....I will be starting from Burgos in early March....my primary concern is whether the alberques will be open every 10-20k.

Didymus, it's one thing to go for a run for 7.5 miles in one stretch but the Camino is not a race. No need to time yourself nor try to walk so far at one time. Most people walk for an hour or two then stop for a coffee in a cafe (if available) or a nice rock for a rest and water. You have all day to get to your destination, what's the hurry? It's about the journey. Also, while jogging is good for a cardio workout you'll be walking on the Camino, so I suggest walking for your training. Your stride is different and you use different muscles. And if you have weeks to prepare, you can ease into the weight you carry in your backpack.

We sound a bit similiar, although I'm 76. I put in about the sames miles a week as you do (15), but it's more of a fast shuffle or slow jog. I usually do individual legs of 7.5 miles in about 1:52. Over the last two weeks did a 7.5 miler in 2:04 or 16:36 a mile with 15 lbs on my back. Yesterday I did 12 or so miles with the same weight in my backpack at a little over 18 minutes a mile. Resulted in some very sore feet and a right hip that felt as if it was coming out of joint. I can't imagine carrying 40-50 lbs on my back, so I assume that was for very short distances. In the past I did 5 marathons (the last at age 62) and probably 8-10 halves, so I think I know what I'm getting into. It's mentally prepared me for the discomfort and pain. I'm starting in Burgos, so will be doing about 12 miles a day to St. James. I think that is doable. But, I realize 12 miles per day, each day will beat me down. I feel I'm up to it, so am not terribly concerned (just a bit anxious). I busted my rear on the 7.5 and 12 milers with weights, but realize I will back off to a comfortable walk of 25-30 minues per mile on the Camino, with some breaks along the way to refresh myself. In other words, I think you are very well prepared for the journey...probably more so than myself. And by the way.....I will be starting from Burgos in early March....my primary concern is whether the alberques will be open every 10-20k.
At a pace of 25-30 minutes per mile you'll be right in line with the bulk of the pilgrims, based on my observations this fall. My advice is to find the pace that feels comfortable and balanced for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It seems to that the biggest thing that took out otherwise very fit pilgrims when we were walking last summer, was their feet -- blisters, toes, ... I'd add a bunch of daily walking, 6-10 continuous miles a day every day for two weeks a month or more before you leave. This way you can test drive your shoes and make sure there isn't a problem that shows up on the third or fourth day of walking.

Just my thoughts -- using this technique I went through three pairs of shoes before I found the right one. And I had no problems.

So my 2 biggest tips from all the walks I did:

1. Take as little as humanly possible because almost everyone is dumping something they don't need and it adds up

2. Make sure your shoes are already broken in. I couldn't believe i'd watch doctors, nurses, young 20 year olds get wiped out of the Camino within the first week by foot and leg issues from improper shoes, shoes not broken in, poor packs or poor socks.

80% of the conversation at night is about how bad people's feet are after about day 4.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back