• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Side trips or detours

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
None, unless you see posts for them as you walk, then all. They will only be a few 100s meters away. Anything further is gping to be quite a burden on your feetees.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Heading into Burgos, shortly after crossing the AP-1, Brierley presents an option. We took the paved route going past the airport (Brieley's grey route) and stayed at the Hotel Buenos Aires in Villafria and used the bus that stops right there to visit the city for an afternoon and the next day. In the long run this kept us off lots more pavement and uninteresting walks. When we continued our camino we walked back from the hotel for about 45 minutes to the optional spot of the day before and then took the Brieley yellow route to Castanares and from there took Brierley's green route across the Rio Arianzon. We then followed the river along its south bank past Burgos until it met up with the camino again at Puente Malatos. We then stayed at Hotel Puerta Romeros just beyond. It is at the spot where in the movie "The Way" the kid hands Martin Sheen his pack.

From Leon to La Virgen was unenjoyable but I really liked the walk from there to Vilar de Mazarife (Brierley's green route.)

Peg and I are backpackers and enjoyed the hill route (Brierley's green route) out of Villafranca del Bierzo despite the added work of the ascent and descent. The weather was good though with no wind or heat either. It had nice views and part of it goes through chestnut groves. This is the hill route (Ruta Pradela) to the north of the marked camino, not the one to the south (Brierley's purple route.) Carry extra water.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Beware Brierley's recommended route out of Villafranca del Bierzo. That is one heck of a climb. The road route is no-where near as trafficked as the good man implies.
I took that high road and rate it a "bummer." Other than a nice view of Villafranca at the very beginning, it was very desolate with little to see. I didn't come face to face with anyone else. I also ran out of water. There is NOTHING!

Heading into Burgos, shortly after crossing the AP-1, Brierley presents an option. We took the paved route going past the airport (Brieley's grey route) and stayed at the Hotel Buenos Aires in Villafria and used the bus that stops right there to visit the city for an afternoon and the next day. In the long run this kept us off lots more pavement and uninteresting walks. When we continued our camino we walked back from the hotel for about 45 minutes to the optional spot of the day before and then took the Brieley yellow route to Castanares and from there took Brierley's green route across the Rio Arianzon. We then followed the river along its south bank past Burgos until it met up with the camino again at Puente Malatos. We then stayed at Hotel Puerta Romeros just beyond. It is at the spot where in the movie "The Way" the kid hands Martin Sheen his pack.

From Leon to La Virgen was unenjoyable but I really liked the walk from there to Vilar de Mazarife (Brierley's green route.)

Peg and I are backpackers and enjoyed the hill route (Brierley's green route) out of Villafranca del Bierzo despite the added work of the ascent and descent. The weather was good though with no wind or heat either. It had nice views and part of it goes through chestnut groves. This is the hill route (Ruta Pradela) to the north of the marked camino, not the one to the south (Brierley's purple route.) Carry extra water.
I took the route Pradela as well and plan to again this year. I prefer being away from the roads.

Eunate and Samos. Neither should be missed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.