• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking pole/s or traditional staff?

RichardF

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ( 2016 )
Hi! I could use advice on walking poles - I know poles are the norm but the romantic in me yearns for a traditional, knarled, wooden staff. I have my eye on one on eBay made by a local craftsman - sturdy and strong...

Of course, there is no shock absorption as with trekking poles but I understand there is a knack for using poles?

Cheers in advance for any advice!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Trekking poles, if used properly, offer a variety of benefits: they reduce the strain on knees and ankles, they improve circulation in the hands, they help improve breathing, and many others. A single stick probably doesn't offer much beyond added stability and something to lean on, and probably weighs more than a pair of trekking poles.

The only reason to use a walking stick instead of poles, to my mind, would be to avoid the cost.

Would add this as well -- my trekking poles saved me from a couple of falls on wet, slippery, rocky downhills. If I'd just had a staff, I would've gone down. Of course I am clumsier than most :).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I need trekking sticks so it's not a decision I would ever have to make. They have saved me from falling countless times, they propel me forward and save my hips and knees, and they stop me from twisting my ankles. Plus untreated timber products get confiscated by the Australian quarantine service on return!

If romance wins and you decide on a pole why not wait til you get to the Camino and buy one from a local craftsman? They are everywhere and it supports the local economy.

A staff is nice but trekking poles are more versatile for the reasons stated above. If you decide to go with the staff, buy one at your point of departure (St Jean etc) it will save a lot of hassle when travelling.
Buen Camino.

Hi! I could use advice on walking poles - I know poles are the norm but the romantic in me yearns for a traditional, knarled, wooden staff. I have my eye on one on eBay made by a local craftsman - sturdy and strong...

Of course, there is no shock absorption as with trekking poles but I understand there is a knack for using poles?

A staff looks cool but trekking poles are much more practical in so many ways. Start with trekking poles. If you don't like them put them in your pack and buy a staff. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have to put a plug in for a staff. I have been using one for many years for backpacking. I acquired a pair of trekking poles more recently and decided to try them out before my camino. I was able to use the poles in the recommended way, but they did not work for me otherwise. I went back to a staff for the camino, buying a lightweight one in St Jean Pied de Port as I began the walk. If you are coming from outside Europe and want to take your staff home with you, make sure that it is varnished and declare it at customs. No guarantees, but that is what is necessary in Canada.
It would be best to regard your staff or trekking poles as something to be tried out like your footwear and pack. I do not know whether you could take a wooden staff with you from outside of Europe. Think of it as part of your kit and only secondarily as an attractive pilgrim's accessory. If you can, try out both and buy a lightweight varnished staff in St Jean if that is what you decide. It will show its value as a pilgrim's staff in your use of it along your route, for balance, for weight transfer, especially when down-climbing, and for general support. However, the best use of a staff is in support for river crossings, and that is not needed along the Frances. If it works for you, it can still be a much valued souvenir and a support for future walks after you return from your camino.

I've used both and I love both.
I don't find the bastons cumbersome or impractical at all.
In fact, to the contrary.
Pilgrims have used them for hundreds of years with no problems.

There are many good reasons to use a baston.
They are inexpensive.
You don't have to worry about anyone stealing it or about leaving it behind because you can always buy another - cheaply.
They are indestructible! I tried breaking one once in a fit of frustration and ended up tossing it into the meseta b/c it wouldn't break.
You don't have to worry about getting it on an airplane.
You support the local economy by buying it.
If you stick a tag on it, you can check it in on your flight home, and it's the perfect memento of your Camino!

I've used one tall stick and I've used two short ones.
I've used pacer poles and leki poles.

In the end, it's all about you and what you prefer.
But as far as which works best?
I have found no difference.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Why buy one on Ebay?
Wait and buy one along the Camino.
They are under €10 and there are many many choices.

There is a clear difference of opinion and two school s on this issue. My advice is simple (I think).

SINGLE STAFF

If you are inclined to use a single staff, get something locally to serve as an analog for it, to practice with. A broom stick is a possibility. Nothing fancy, just something to emulate the length, weight, and "feel" of a walking staff. According to my research, the "correct" length / height is from the ground to your shoulder, when the stick is plumb and perpendicular to the ground. But, do go with a length that suits you. In the end, you will have to carry that stick for a month. But you cannot take it to your bunk each night. You cannot bring it home as carry-on luggage. So, it will invariably end up in the daily growing pile of discarded walking staffs at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

Take a hike on varied terrain with this pole. Include fairly steep up and down hill climbs. If possible, wear a pack. I use plastic bags of crystal kitty litter in my bag to simulate a live load. Best sure to line your rucksack with a trash bag or two to avoid a potential mess. At present, I have one 15 and one 8-pound bags in my rucksack. With the rucksack, the total weight is 25 pounds (11.3 kg). While a tad higher than the 10 Kg recommended limit, for me, this is a good training weight.

The results will guide you...

HIKING POLES or STICKS ("Bastones" in Spanish)

As regards using "bastones" or walking poles there are as many uses for these poles as there are strong opinions in favor of them.

When correctly adjusted, your lower arms should be at right angles to your upper arms and parallel to the ground. These poles are infinitely variable as regards length. So this adjustment can easily be achieved. Here are some positive attributes to poles, and which a single staff cannot (mostly) replicate.
  • Poles are better at helping you climb, especially on slippery trails. this increases safety and improves traction. Using two pioles is like having four-wheel drive (sort of)...
  • Poles are better at breaking your descent from hills, especially on slippery trails. This prevents falls...remember four-wheel drive...
  • Poles can significantly increase your walking speed on level ground, as they contribute to your forming a good walking pace.
  • Poles, used correctly, transfer up to 25% of your rucksack weight to your arms and the poles, from your back.
  • If you apply several bands of hi-viz reflective tape, like 3M safety tape, you can increase road-walking visibility by swinging a pole facing traffic. The oncoming driver sees a whirling glowing arc in low light conditions. Importantly, it gets attention! I use one band at the bottom and at each expansion section. Our colleague Magwood does this very well with lime green tape that matches her rucksack - oh so stylish!
  • A pole can be sized and wedged into a window opening to provide hanging space for hand laundry to dry.
  • If you camp, one or two poles are typically used to pitch an ultra-lightweight tent.
  • Individual poles are better IMHO at poking at things along the trail...
  • Individual poles, strapped to your right and left wrists are also good at pointing out directions or direction of motion. Your finger, or hand, just got at least a meter longer...
  • You can use one or two poles as the mood suits you. You cannot do this with a single staff.
Others can, no doubt, add more good uses and attributes of walking poles; but these are mine.

Contrary, and politely, as regards the poster above, you will not likely have to repel brigands or louts on the Way. In a VERY rare situation, you may have to repel an aggressive dog. But in three Caminos, I have never encountered a nasty dog. They want to follow you, but are usually unimpressed otherwise. To them, seeing peregrinos is a daily, ho-hum, thing...

Others have remarked about various safety related aspects of walking poles. I endorse all of these and add that my pair of Leki Ultralight Poles saved my life (literally) in 2013. In late April, I was forced off the steep drop-off just before the summit of Alto de Perdon (the final 150 meters or so are treacherous). A pair of mountain bikers came hurtling DOWN TRAIL in the rain and wind. Visibility was poor and my poncho was cinched tight. My companion shouted "look out" at the last moment. My military training kicked in and I bailed off the trail to the right (it sure FELT like an ambush situation) while my companion bailed uphill to the left....duh! Anyway, to the right, there was NOTHING but air due to the steep drop-off, perhaps 10 - 15 meters at least to the pasture and scrub brush below. :eek:

My Leki pole bent, literally like an archery bow, to break my "final" fall. I later found out that the second cyclist managed to dump his bike and grab my rucksack harness just before I took a dive. That was the ONLY time I ever thanked a cyclist on the Camino, and the proximate reason for my dislike of sharing the trail...once burnt...twice shy. Ironically, I walked this section again in 2014, in a move to "get back on the horse..." To my surprise, there is now a cable mounted to vertical steel stanchions at the side of the trail to prevent this sort of things from happening again...go figure!:)

WHAT KIND OF POLES DO I BUY?

As regards what kind of walking poles to buy, the first "fork in the road" is the strongly held preference (by some) between conventional walking poles and "Pacer Poles." Pacer Poles are a specific type of hiking stick that is engineered primarily to aid level ground performance. I do not have direct experience with these poles. I recommend you use the Forum search engine to query "Pacer Poles."

Once you made the decision to go with sectional walking poles or bastones, there are several considerations. All of these issues are discussed elsewhere in this Forum. But I will highlight the considerations:
  • Aluminum alloy or carbon fiber - a cost and weight issue. Carbon fiber is much lighter, but perhaps twice the cost.
  • Twist cam adjustment or flip adjustment - original designs use the easily serviced twist to tighten or loosen system. More recent styles use a flip up or down lever to apply pressure on pole sections.
  • Uni-fit or left-right - most better brands have handgrips molded to left and right hands to improve grip and comfort.
  • Wrist straps - tether the pole to your hand. They should be adjustable.
  • Rubber tips - PLEASE do buy and use rubber tips on all metal poles. This eliminates the "click-clack" noise that, while ubiquitous to the Camino, we love to hate, especially when you desire quiet time. I is especially noticeable early in the morning in small villages. It wakes the locals too. So please be considerate to all. The rubber tips are a LOT cheaper in Europe and can be bought or replaced almost anywhere. Expect a pair to last for at least a month of daily use, unless you lose one (or more) in the mud. I always carry spares. I give them to others just to shut their poles up. The diameter of most poles is fairly standard, across the industry.
HOW DO I TRANSPORT MY POLES?

Assume that NO POLES can be brought onto an airplane. This Forum contains many anecdotal stories of folks who claim to bring their poles on-board "all the time." Be wary. The permission is likely location and airport security-official-specific. I would not want to leave it to chance.

I always shorten my poles all the way and snug them closed, strap them to the outside of my rucksack using side pockets and available straps or cords. I then put my rucksack in a bright-colored, cheap, laundry bag purchased from the local dollar sore (pound shop). I actually purchased one for a single USD last year. The laundry sack doubles as a rucksack liner, laundry bag, and return shipping bag. Just double-tie the pull-sting and affix one or more luggage ties WITH YOUR INITIAL DESTINATION (e.g. Hotel Ramunctho, Saint Jean, Pied de Port, France). I recommend attaching one o the rucksack in the laundry bag, and another to the outside of the sack, attached to the tie-string. This way, if temporarily misplaced, the airline will deliver the bag to your starting point, instead of your permanent home...;)

I hope this helps.:)

€149,-
I just remembered an incident when a single wooden staff caused a slight, but unique, problem. I was hiking in Maestrazgo with my sister, who was walking with a staff. One afternoon we passed a sheep pen just as the shepherd opened the gate to move his flock. The sheep obviously saw the staff and automatically started to follow us, much to the distress of the shepherd and his dogs.

I saw a lot of pilgrims using the single staff, perhaps not as many as the poles Myself I used trekking poles and have to say that without them I'm not sure I could have completed the camino, but that's just me.
If I recall I thin k it was the younger generation that seemed more comfortable with the single staff, pilgrims that are fitter and more nimble on their feet.
If you have the chance try both methods out during training because what suits one, might not suit another.
For me it will be poles everytime; not as romantic as the staff, but in my case more practical.

I love my trekking poles specifically pacer poles for stability and walking rhythm its nothing like it, the only inconveniences are; you can't carrie it onboard and most albergues don't want you to take indoors.

Zzotte

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Should the "romantic" in you win out, you'll love it. Should the pragmatic win, you'll love it.

One thought I have about the staff option is they don't click,click,click as you trek along. If you use trekking poles, and they have the rubber thingies on them, there will be no click--until the rubber has worn through. Then, click,click,click.

Guess you could buy another rubber thingie ;-)

When I am out backpacking carrying full camping equipment, I like to use my Leki poles as they relieve the load on my knees. However for lightweight walks such as the Camino, where I only carry around 5 to 6 kgs, I don't need the poles and like to use a traditional old school staff. It is fine for rhythm and stability. I do swap it from right hand to left hand sometimes, and it certainly does help on uphill and downhill slopes.

Each to their own I guess....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I believe there is a separate thread just for poles. Like so many others have said, it comes down to personal choice. I have a few Caminoite friends who love their staff. Would you have an opportunity to try both prior to your journey?

A few further comments: One major reason why I like my staff over a single metal pole, which I have tried, is that the staff is not telescopic. Halfway across the Panther River in Banff, my telescopic pole decided to telescope, leaving me with no upstream support in a fast-flowing river. It had got water inside it so no longer held. I also had a wooden staff break in a similar situation in New Zealand, but fortunately for me this was only a stream and not a major river. This was a cheap staff made from a broom handle. Sturdiness of the wooden staff is vital.
I took my broom handle wooden staff with me to New Zealand as a carry-on and I brought my camino staff back with me as carry-on from Madrid. As a woman in my mid sixties, I can easily look frail and lean on my staff. Wood with a rubber cane tip does not get identified as a possible weapon by security, although I suppose it could be used as such by Little John. I guess that I always get identified as a senior version of Maid Marian, so no threat to anyone.

Nice post Andreo, though it only gives the plus uses for poles and none for staffs - as for the
"Contrary, and politely, as regards the poster above, you will not likely have to repel brigands or louts on the Way. In a VERY rare situation, you may have to repel an aggressive dog. But in three Caminos, I have never encountered a nasty dog. They want to follow you, but are usually unimpressed otherwise. To them, seeing peregrinos is a daily, ho-hum, thing..."

Andreo! I was clearly doing humour and romance - no one really expects to have to go quarter staff fighting you know!!

Re dogs - I have twice been attacked by dogs, once in France and once in Spain (and once by a big fat angry goose!) - a pole or staff is a great thing to have in such situations.

To me there are two downsides to a staff, the first is that it isn't telescopic, the second that it may be considerably heavier than an alloy pole. On the positive side, with holding the staff at a high point, higher than with the forearm parallel to the ground one gets into a lovely rhythm where one casts the staff forward and then sort of walks past it - I like them, but use a pole more often as they are telescopic.

As for one or two - I go with one, turning me into a tripod which is very stable (marsupials such as kangaroos have really mastered this), which gives me all the stability that I want or need and also leaves me with a free and empty hand. Having two to 'take off weight' or to be able to walk faster seems (to me) a pointless exercise - if one needs to take weight off the pack the best way to do that is to empty things out of the pack so that it is lighter, and I can see no reason whatsover for wanting to walk faster - it isn't a race but a pilgrimage.

Last thing about a staff, of any length - a pilgrim just looks so cool using one whereas a two poles pilgrim looks like either a cripple or a mis-shaped insect, especially with that horrendous click click click click - how can they live each day with that?

These are my personal opinions - I don't think that I am right and others wrong - Buen Camino

And all that 'clicking' of poles through the villages when pilgrims forget to put on their rubber pole 'boots' when coming off the rougher trail. When I first got a pair of poles for training pre Camino, the sound even on a path drove me nuts . Now I'm down to one pole and a happy Pilgrim.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I make my own - broom handle tapered to cone point and metal Swiss point fitted.
I still have the ash stick that I used on my walks in the British countryside when I was lucky enough to spend a couple of years in England many years ago. The metal tip has long ago been replaced by an ordinary rubber tip used on mobility aids, and I have bound a handgrip using kangaroo hide. It rests quietly with the beautiful Cuban walking cane I might use in my old age when I am imitating a Spanish gentleman in the Americas, or just coping with the osteoarthritis in my knee.

The top of the ash stick was grown in the form of a Y, and rather than repel vicious dogs it was used by a significant other at the time to hold down a snake in our chook-pen. Unfortunately, the excitement made the significant other's axe work somewhat inaccurate, and she nearly lopped the head off the stick as well as the snake!

I see many lovely staff sticks while walking on Victoria, BC trails. All of them hand made…..they're just beautiful. Sometimes hard to get my head around pilgrims of yore, walking with metal poles…and two of them. You do have to wonder. I would love to have seen an equivalent of our forum in the 12th century :> ). Silly I know, but fun to think of what some of the verbiage might have been. Perhaps some of our poets here might give it a go??

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would love to have seen an equivalent of our forum in the 12th century :> ). Silly I know, but fun to think of what some of the verbiage might have been. Perhaps some of our poets here might give it a go??

"Help, I'm lost after leaving the Pyrennees! When will they start marking the route properly?"

"A shout-out to the albergue in Pamplona: the roof barely leaked, fewer fleas than most places, the slop they serve for dinner is delicious, and at night I caught a rat to have for breakfast! Five stars!"

"All the dead pilgrims lying by the side of the road are making me sick! Why don't people clean up after themselves?"

"Can someone recommend a lightweight cloak? Preferably less than 2 stone."

"Almost got knocked off the road by a horse-drawn carriage zooming past me outside Burgos. A curse on all rich peregrinos! That's not a true Camino experience."

"Looking for a good doctor in Roncevalles. My leg started turning black a week ago, and now I think something is wrong with it."

(Sorry, not a poet.)

As I tried to intimate in my original post, the ultimate decision to use any pole at all, a single staff, a pair of hiking poles, or pacer poles, is a highly personal one. All solutions are valid, if the decision is the right one for you. Only YOU can make that choice.

I am firmly of the "two bastones" school of thought. I have done three Caminos so far, and I doubt I could have survived, let alone completed all three had I not had the walking poles. For me, it is a done deal.

For others, there is a wealth of experience and opinion here on the Forum. I defer to the accumulated wealth.

I hope this helps.

I am firmly of the "two bastones" school of thought. I have done three Caminos so far, and I doubt I could have survived, let alone completed all three had I not had the walking poles. For me, it is a done deal.
Like you, I am an advocate of using two technical poles for any hiking. I have not used a wooden stick for the best part of 15 years. That said, if all our efforts advocating for technical poles and explaining the benefits do not sway some from walking with a wooden staff, we know that romance is not dead, and not everyone can be persuaded by the logic of our advice.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Poles might or might not be the norm - I'm quite happy walking quickly and without injury with no poles - there's very few severe gradients that require poles (though I do wear Vibram soles and travel during the dryer months) and lots of flat walking where poles are a drag - and don't get me started about the noise of them (so please get some rubber tips if you do use them)

The first alberge I stayed in had a pile of bamboo poles going free to pilgrims, so I chose a sturdy one and loved walking with it. It got slowly shorter as I walked on, and after a couple of weeks I replaced it with another longer bamboo staff which I cut from a fallen bamboo grove. The second one took a while before it "worked", but it followed my foot fall to Santiago then on to Muxia. A couple of times it proved handy keeping aggressive dogs at bay. When I tried my companions walking poles they did not feel right compared to my staff, which became like an extension of my body.

On a different note, on my first day of walking, I saw two Dutchmen using metal tipped poles on a metaled road, which they jabbed at the ground like strange additional limbs, giving them the gait of obscure four legged creatures. I mused that they must be quadrupeds. My toes were beginning to blister and turn purple, so I thought if the others were quadrupeds, I must be a tri-ped, and thus I encountered a fictional character, the purple toed tri-ped. I made up lots of stories about this character walking to Santiago to tell my daughter when I got home. I doubt walking poles would have inspired the same fictional adventurer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We, of the quadrapod genus may look strange, but we manage to stay vertical at almost all times. Folks like me who are height-challenged, or stout of build (whatever) find the additional stability also helps our aching knees and ankles.

Last edited:
Um. Abacus or iPhone? Some personal preference there, romance and all. I have only walked with trekking poles and I like them. I use them to protect my knees. And for crossing those occasional brooks.

It really comes down to you, and what your needs are. As expressed previously.

Still though, I've never had extended company with an abacus walker. I think they might have been passed along the way. Or they dropped it along the way maybe.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll start by saying I have not used a staff.....

But I would see it serving a very different purpose. As David said, it must help to maintain a nice walking rhythm and of course could be used to balance crossing obstacles.

But I don't see how a staff could provide the same benefit as walking poles in terms of taking the weight off knees, back etc. The mechanics are all wrong surely? Personally I would be worried about blisters on my hand with a staff. As surely you have to actually grip the staff. Whereas with poles no 'gripping' is required. One merely uses the straps to push down on and to maintain contact while swinging the poles forward.

Different 'tools' in my mind. Or maybe I am missing something :oops:

The only test I suppose is to try both.... And see what is preferred.

Though being biased toward poles I would liken the question to asking should I wear flip flops (Thongs, Jandals) or shoes. I guess you 'could' walk the Camino in flip flops. But why would you choose to? ;)

We usually bring along one pair of poles for two (or three) people. They're great for making speed adjustments - whoever is walking most slowly that day, or feeling pain somewhere, gets the poles, which speeds them up a little, and the others are happy not to have to wait all the time.

Re rubber tips wearing through: My spare rubber tips were in the bottom of my pack when a tip wore through near lunchtime one day. Instead of unpacking everything (I know, I know) I used the dinner knife and a piece of the cork from our wine bottle to carve a small plug to put inside the worn rubber tip, in essence lining it. It lasted for the rest of the walk (six days) without wearing through.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We usually bring along one pair of poles for two (or three) people. They're great for making speed adjustments - whoever is walking most slowly that day, or feeling pain somewhere, gets the poles, which speeds them up a little, and the others are happy not to have to wait all the time.

Re rubber tips wearing through: My spare rubber tips were in the bottom of my pack when a tip wore through near lunchtime one day. Instead of unpacking everything (I know, I know) I used the dinner knife and a piece of the cork from our wine bottle to carve a small plug to put inside the worn rubber tip, in essence lining it. It lasted for the rest of the walk (six days) without wearing through.

I found the rubber tips that came with my poles were far too 'soft'. They felt almost as soft as a pencil eraser. Result? They lasted about a day. (luckily I found this during training) I ended up dropping a small 'nut' into the tip, against which the pole tip could sit. Great idea huh? Nope.... The nut came through after 1 or 2 days on the camino.

I ended up buying some new tips in Zubiri that were great. A much harder compound, that lasted all the way to Santiago :) I just kept them in my pocket and swapped them on and off as required. No need to even stop. Pop them on when on concrete etc.

Sadly they were left behind at the airport....with my poles. Long story, Baggage handlers strike, no checked luggage allowed..... Ryanair are my least favourite airline as a result.....

But I'll look locally for some tough tips before our next Camino. (for my replacement poles). The poles were worth more than the plane tickets! :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We both favour a single wooden stick with a curved top (shepherd's neck-crook style). This is cut to the correct length to hold with the hand/lower arm at right angles to the body when holding the stick where it is most comfortable. For me this is just below the curve with the crook facing away from me. Strong enough to lean on hard, can use it left or right hand, and it will hang on a branch etc if necessary while I tighten my boots or over my arm to take a photo etc.
No trouble on the ferry and probably acceptable as a 'walking aid' on a plane being wood and with a rubber tip. the tips can easily be replaced in Spain in a ferretería

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know you've probably gotten enough advice, but I will share my experience. I used pacer poles and they kept me on the trail. Unfortunately many of the people who I assisted with injuries were using a staff. The first was a middle aged woman who fell going down a rocky steep decline. The point of the staff was thicker than the point of a pole and not as good at fitting between the rocks and stabilizing her. Her fall ended her Camino, day 1. The second was a twenty something fit young man, who didn't want to use poles as he felt they were not "cool." Unfortunately, since he was putting his weight on one side, his knee blew up and he got shin splints. Be safe and healthy on your Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was just giving my experience and am offended by your personal attack. I will not argue my points as they are my experiences and not my imagination. This type of exchange is not in the spirit of the Camino. Checking out of this thread.

I was just giving my experience and am offended by your personal attack. I will not argue my points as they are my experiences and not my imagination. This type of exchange is not in the spirit of the Camino. Checking out of this thread.
Susan, I think you are mis-interpreting David's remarks as a personal attack. He is not denying your experiences, but is hinting that suggesting something is causal rather than coincidental might not have revealed other reasons for an event, and those other reasons might have more explanatory power.

I also happen to think there are other things to consider in addition to your description that might help us understand what happened in the examples you used, but that might be a conversation for another day now.

Edit: I see David has responded as I was preparing this post. I still think this post can stay.

€60,-
Everyone has something to say and we love communication - but, as I said in another thread sometimes the written word is harsher and more judgemental than verbal exchanges. @Susan Peacock has come to a different conclusion from David about a series of incidents she recounted. As simple as that. We all understand that correlation is not necessarily cause, but sonetimes it is, and it is reasonable to point out connections. Let's leave it and move on.

Btw Susan, I happen to agree with you that two trekking sticks are a much better safety and health precaution than a staff. As someone who has back and hip problems, crappy knee joints, no depth perception and weak ankles. I rely on them to keep me upright and give me stability and I simply could not walk a camino without them. David, think about two sticks as the Camino equivalent of a walking frame. Some of us need disability aids. Sometimes disability aids can give the able bodied help too..... (Has anyone tried ratchet can-openers? First put into service for those with weak hands - now ubiqitous).

Apart from trying to inject humour

I must have missed that.

Still though, I like my poles, and I am resigned to the fact that they don't look cool, but choose them instead for the sake of efficacy.

I take bold strides walking down the boardwalk in Surfcity while training, wearing a backpack. Totally out of place, I've had coworkers remark that they saw me walking along Beach Blvd. with poles and a pack and they said, "WTF?"

On the camino there is no critical view of using poles. Its what people who want to protect their limbs do.

Now, younger may not understand. But you will, with time.

True - but, although long retired now, I come from an analytic academic background and when I see what appears to be leaping to conclusions I tend to respond too quickly - I really did not mean to offend, but it seems that I have. I will delete all my comments, will appear as though I never joined in - can't bear the thought of someone out there feeling hurt because of me :(

Last edited:
Ancient and venerable Pilgrim
Ohh aye, it will be a journey...

Young pilgrim
But how long does it take to get there?

Yes..it does sometimes, but not always

But old man
I must know how far these places be!!

Ohh? why it is a vasty way

Young Pilgrim
Ive naw time for games!

Ay..tis true..tis true young man

Good eventide to you sir!!

It is but 5 good steps away young sir points the stooped old man..his worn hat and cloak with the old time worn scallop shell catching the fitfull fires light

Right there on yon door is the longest part of the journey..to the start..everything else is not important
Not how far
Not how long
Only begin....

Young Rip reaches for his.....

Sorry..couldnt help it..
I can imagine a Camino version of Canturburys Tales...

Since i use a cane on occasion..I to am a tripod

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my mind, "trying out" trekking poles or a staff might not be the best approach. If you've never used them, they can feel clumsy, an impediment rather than an aid. It's learning to walk again, but in a different way - some people may need to give it more time to allow their muscles and nervous system to adapt to the new movements and rhythms. I recommend using them for an extended training period before making a decision.

At first, my wife didn't like trekking poles at all, couldn't get into a rhythm, was always conscious of them hanging off her hands, sometimes getting in the way. With practice, she didn't need to give them as much attention, and eventually found that she actually liked them. Now she prefers to hike with them. She used them on the entire Camino, and in thinking about future Caminos says she wouldn't attempt some of the more challenging grades without poles.

I've never tried a staff, so cannot comment on what they are like.

In my mind, "trying out" trekking poles or a staff might not be the best approach. If you've never used them, they can feel clumsy, an impediment rather than an aid. It's learning to walk again, but in a different way - some people may need to give it more time to allow their muscles and nervous system to adapt to the new movements and rhythms. I recommend using them for an extended training period before making a decision.

At first, my wife didn't like trekking poles at all, couldn't get into a rhythm, was always conscious of them hanging off her hands, sometimes getting in the way. With practice, she didn't need to give them as much attention, and eventually found that she actually liked them. Now she prefers to hike with them. She used them on the entire Camino, and in thinking about future Caminos saseys shtrtte trwouldn't attempt some of the more challenging grades without poles.
I've never tried a staff, so cannot comment on what they are like.
By 'trying out' I of course was meaning 'training with'. Once again.....in the end it comes down to individual preference.

Since you're experienced, I suspected that's what you meant. But others, especially those who haven't used them, might not grasp that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've also seen staffs in use at albergues - for clothes drying between bunks. These staffs, of course, are the ones people left behind because they were so cumbersome and impractical...
Such a nifty idea for drying clothes! With poles the length would be adjustable too.

I'm in the staff category. My home is in the Kenyan bush and that's what I use there. One of my rangers made me a new one for my camino, and I'm really looking forward to using it. I didn't think about the 'clacking' though, walking in the bush is just dirt. What do other staff users employ to stop the noise?

Now I'll just freak out a little though about the post above mentioning dogs...

I'm in the staff category. My home is in the Kenyan bush and that's what I use there. One of my rangers made me a new one for my camino, and I'm really looking forward to using it. I didn't think about the 'clacking' though, walking in the bush is just dirt. What do other staff users employ to stop the noise?

Hi, yeah dogs can be a bother. I was glad to have my poles with me during my dog incident - one pole for each dog (lucky there weren't three of them!).

Hi, yeah dogs can be a bother. I was glad to have my poles with me during my dog incident - one pole for each dog (lucky there weren't three of them!).

Hmmm. I don't like dogs and they don't like me much either. Are these wild dogs? How do you fend them off?

I am a man of a certain age, with many years hiking behind me. I have hiked thousands of miles in the American mountains and deserts and I have always used a staff, and have been dismissive of trekking poles. Then, last year I walked the Camino Portuguese with trekking poles and I couldn't believe how much they helped me. They helped my knees, my hips (including the one artificial one) and helped going both up and down hill.
I highly recommend trekking poles. One caveat, I do suggest getting used to them before you start the Camino. I had a day or so of learning to use them well.
Buen Camino!

the romantic in me yearns for a traditional, knarled, wooden staff. I have my eye on one on eBay made by a local craftsman - sturdy and strong...

trekking poles are the best thing, But if you are going for tradition, don't buy it on ebay... Do it yourself!!! it will give you more satisfaction, besides you can not buy tradition. If you want to buy something, buy poles.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I felt exactly the same way. So I got a staff in SJPP. By the time I got to Pamplona my hands were calloused and very sore. It was justtoo big for my small hands. My son didn't have a problem with his - and in fact he took mine when I switched to poles. Bigger hands, less need for the support of poles.

Hmmm. I don't like dogs and they don't like me much either. Are these wild dogs? How do you fend them off?
Oh dear me, nothing as bad as that. I'm just talking about domestic guard dogs, ankle biters (in my experience). I only had the one encounter and used my poles to keep them away from my legs. You needn't worry, more of a nuisance than a danger. Buen camino.

About the dogs - is a really rare thing, they aren't feral, they are owned - sometimes they just might get a little territorial and attacks do sometimes happen, but as Philip said, they are ankle biters really - I haven't done this but was told that if a dog became menacing just reach down and pick up a stone - act it if there are no stones! - and the dog will recognise that they are about to get hurt and will stop or slink away.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

There are little tips you put on the bottom of your poles - rubber tips. They'll wear through after a while and must be replaced. I think I used 6 on my Camino. I imagine they have them for a staff as well. A staff will help with balance, I suppose - but it just cannot distribute weight and provide the same amount of support going downhill in the rain. Also - please don't freak about the dogs. We are talking about farm dogs who watch people walk by their territory all day every day. They might want to warn you to keep your distance, but that is about it. Just don't make eye contact and walk on by. If one actually approaches tell it NO in a commanding voice and keep walking. It is really not a concern.

Thanks very much @Philip347 , @Chacharm , and @David for the reassurance.

I think this is the 'it's nearly here so let's get really nervous and read all the posts about dogs, willy waggers, attempted abductions, and the sad story of Denise'. I'm also realising I am exhausted (in the past 7 days I have been in the Kenyan bush, 5 hours drive to Nairobi where there was one very drunken night, overnight flight to Copenhagen, 2 nights heavily drinking in Copenhagen before flying to Lisbon at 0700 yesterday) and need to just get a lot of rest to mentally prepare for this. Hence the 6 nights slowly making my way to Porto by car.

@Chacharm , I will see if I can find the rubber thingies for my staff (we call it a fimbo in Kiswahili), but I can see your point on the weight distribution. I am so used to using a staff though, and I think my weight/gait is adjusted to that so much by now that poles might end up being too weird for me. Should I come across downhills in the rain, I'm just going to have to rely on my hiking shoes to to keep me from slipping. Fingers crossed I don't come across them though!

Loving your training schedule Cyka! :):)

Today I've not even left the hotel in Lisbon. I've spent most of it in the salon and spa, and napped and ordered dog dazers and headlamps in between!

Today I've not even left the hotel in Lisbon. I've spent most of it in the salon and spa, and napped and ordered dog dazers and headlamps in between!

Exactly! for my first Camino about a week before I loaded up and strolled to a nearby lake (I was living in S.west France), had my sandwiches and strolled back. Spent the next nights until I left drinking some rather good claret then went off on Camino - wasn't being sarcastic at all (not that you thought I was) - just your 'schedule' sort of resonated with me. ;)

Does anybody remember Ignacio in Logrono? He used to tour around town in a white van and pounce on pilgrims without pole or staff and give them one like in the photo. Angelika (also in the photo) ditched hers in a tree on the keep fit trail out of town and we saw a couple more fixed to the wire fence at the wood yard just before Navarette.

When we got to the albergue we were caught up by a Belgian who'd found Angelika's staff and brought it along!

That was in 2001. Two years later I met Marcelino Lobato handing out sellos and biscuits at the Grajera lake and he said Ignacio was still making his staffs (from recycled furniture) but they were even longer and now had a gilt plastic crucifix attached - "muy pesado" is how he described them!

Couldn't believe it when I saw one in the entrance lobby in the old pilgrim office when I reached SdC!

camino050.jpg

Such a nifty idea for drying clothes! With poles the length would be adjustable too.

I use one of my adjustable length hiking poles, in the window frame.

I use two, long rubbish bin liner rubber bands to hang the pole from whatever curtain rod is in the window. A spare pair of shoe / boot laces tied in a loop would produce the same hanging ability as the long rubber bands.

Alternatively, I wash the hiking pole tip very well, then wedge the pole in the open window frame.

The result is a horizontal pole able to support hanging wet laundry.

As I carry 4 very, very light folding plastic hangers, I am able to hang all my laundry in the window, over the radiator, or nearly anywhere else to support faster drying.

My first choice is always outside hanging on a clothesline. However, it rains frequently in April and May when I like to do Camino. So, this rig is the next best thing to having an indoor hanging rack...I just made one from available bits...ah necessity, the mother of invention.

It took me three years of experimenting to get the right combination. But now I have my rubber-tipped poles, 2 long "can bands" bought in my local grocery where the trash bin liners are, and my folding plastic hangers. it works for me.

I hope this helps.

€60,-

I use two, long rubbish bin liner rubber bands to hang the pole from whatever curtain rod is in the window. A spare pair of shoe / boot laces tied in a loop would produce the same hanging ability as the long rubber bands.

Alternatively, I wash the hiking pole tip very well, then wedge the pole in the open window frame.

As I carry 4 very, very light folding plastic hangers, I am able to hang all my laundry in the window, over the radiator, or nearly anywhere else to support faster drying.

My first choice is always outside hanging on a clothesline. However, it rains frequently in April and May when I like to do Camino. So, this rig is the next best thing to having an indoor hanging rack...I just made one from available bits...ah necessity, the mother of invention.

It took me three years of experimenting to get the right combination. But now I have my rubber-tipped poles, 2 long "can bands" bought in my local grocery where the trash bin liners are, and my folding plastic hangers. it works for me.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the guidance. Actually, I was forgetting that I have a s

I hope this helps.
Thanks, yes. Actually, I was forgetting that I have a traveller's washing line with suction caps, which sometimes can be made to work indoors as well as out. The real trick is drying clothes as you walk, slung off your backpack. That's always a challenge. :)

I really like the small bungee cords. Never met a bungee cord I did not like. I had a ziplock bag of them my first year. However, over the years, and after successive Caminos. I have refined my "system" to use only, and specifically what I learned works for me and according to MY Camino style.

So, if my "system" required four of these bungee cords, I would carry only four. However, before I decided finally on this or other solution for a specific situation, I run my own "murder board" against any idea. I judge the idea or item harshly. Four of the tests I run against every item I now carry are:
  1. How much does it weigh?
  2. Can something lighter possibly serve as an alternative?
  3. What ELSE can it do, what other use can it be put to?
  4. If I do not bring this and later discover I really needed it, what can be used as an analog or substitution, that can be readily sourced along the Camino?
Everything in my rucksack must have at LEAST two functions or uses to justify carrying it. Even undergarments can be worn for two distinct scenarios: (1) as underwear, and (2) as sleepwear. A hiking boot can do double duty as a door-stop...or an expedient bucket. Waterproof boots are waterproof BOTH ways. Woolen socks can be worn as mittens if you forgot microfiber gloves...and so on...

Really, if you think about it, you can get downright clever...;)

Whatever works for YOU, works for you! It is what it is. All I, or many of us on the Forum can do is share our approach and experience.

I still, regularly learn from other pilgrims. Indeed my current system and rucksack packing modus is the result of my experience, and valuable lessons learned from all of you. Thank you.

I suppose that is what the forum is all about. I am thrilled and pleased to be able to share and give back to anyone who finds my suggestions useful. I am retired, and this is my retirement avocation. It is what I DO. It is my hobby. Over the years, especially as I spend more and more time working as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, helping in in this forum and at the P/O, the Camino is becoming what I AM. I suppose I could do a lot worse...:eek:

I even engage in sidebar 'Conversations" with other members to clarify their ideas, or to answer specific questions, nest taken "off line." I have brainstem - stormed several creative solutions for unique situations.

The "confessional" is always open to all. Judgments are not passed, only constructive ideas and suggestions.;)

I hope this helps.:)

Thanks very much @Philip347 , @Chacharm , and @David for the reassurance.

I think this is the 'it's nearly here so let's get really nervous and read all the posts about dogs, willy waggers, attempted abductions, and the sad story of Denise'. I'm also realising I am exhausted (in the past 7 days I have been in the Kenyan bush, 5 hours drive to Nairobi where there was one very drunken night, overnight flight to Copenhagen, 2 nights heavily drinking in Copenhagen before flying to Lisbon at 0700 yesterday) and need to just get a lot of rest to mentally prepare for this. Hence the 6 nights slowly making my way to Porto by car.

@Chacharm , I will see if I can find the rubber thingies for my staff (we call it a fimbo in Kiswahili), but I can see your point on the weight distribution. I am so used to using a staff though, and I think my weight/gait is adjusted to that so much by now that poles might end up being too weird for me. Should I come across downhills in the rain, I'm just going to have to rely on my hiking shoes to to keep me from slipping. Fingers crossed I don't come across them though!
I think there is little to no chance of that. But plenty of people handle them without sticks!
Now - I might change my tune for THIS staff!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another reason to carry a staff: "It's a good idea to carry a walking stick - it could become a defensive weapon in an encounter with a lion" (When man becomes prey, by Cat Urbigkit). This refers to my usual walking area, but you never know what you may find on the camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.