• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to Stay in Porto

• Thread starter Anemone del Camino
  • Start date
A

Anemone del Camino

Any recommendations on where to stay in Porto? There are many lovely hostales in the center of townm but I am afraid these will be filled with young people enjoying a night of drinking coming back in the wee hours making all sorts of noise. Learned my lesson in Barcelona and Bilbao. How out of the way is the pilgrim's albergue and what are the odds they will let me spend two nights, one after my flight, and the next so I can do Porto-Matosinhos-Porto-Matosinhos and keep walking? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A bit off-topic, any recommendations on where to stay in Porto? There are many lovely hostales in the center of townm but I am afraid these will be filled with young people enjoying a night of drinking coming back in the wee hours making all sorts of noise. Learned my lesson in Barcelona and Bilbao. How out of the way is the pilgrim's albergue and what are the odds they will let me spend two nights, one after my flight, and the next so I can do Porto-Matosinhos-Porto-Matosinhos and keep walking? Thank you.

It might not be what you are looking for but I've booked two nights at Casa de Teatro. It is a studio apartment complete with cooking and washing machine - which i will need after travelling for several days before starting the Camino. The reviews on booking.com are very good.

A bit off-topic, any recommendations on where to stay in Porto? There are many lovely hostales in the center of townm but I am afraid these will be filled with young people enjoying a night of drinking coming back in the wee hours making all sorts of noise. Learned my lesson in Barcelona and Bilbao. How out of the way is the pilgrim's albergue and what are the odds they will let me spend two nights, one after my flight, and the next so I can do Porto-Matosinhos-Porto-Matosinhos and keep walking? Thank you.
Last year I booked a comfortable appartment on AIRBNB in the Lapa area just 15 minutes ahead from the towncenter. Metrostation direction airport close by.
No hostals for me anymore in Porto due to people coming in all times of the night not interested in people who slept. Loud talking, singing, stamping feet on stairs etc.
AIRBNB ! Had appartments in Lisbon,Santiago . My thing !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We stayed at an AIRBNB place for a couple of nights.
We also walked Porto to Matosinhos in the late afternoon (after a morning doing a port tour and then lunch by the river) - but rather than taking the metro back, we just stayed in a cheap pension there (booked and paid before leaving home because we knew exactly which day we would be there). There are actually a lot of places to stay there because it caters to beach-goers. Good supermarket was just round the corner too.

Thank you for all your answers. I see my suspicion about the hostales was well founded. Which really isoa pity because some of these are stunning, just not meant for tired walkers. I had seen the airport albergue, it may be a good choice as it will not be attractive to club goers. Will look into it more seriously. And will investigate Airbnb as I never have done it before.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a good experience at Avenida Porto b&b. It was a nice place a few blocks from the historic train station in the old quarter, 30E gave me a nice private room and breakfast. 351 22 2009551
Www.avenidaporto.com.pt

It might not be what you are looking for but I've booked two nights at Casa de Teatro. It is a studio apartment complete with cooking and washing machine - which i will need after travelling for several days before starting the Camino. The reviews on booking.com are very good.
I just put Casa de Teatro Porto into Booking.com and nothing comes up. What an I doing wrong?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just put Casa de Teatro Porto into Booking.com and nothing comes up. What an I doing wrong?

Apologies Marbuck I was in Spanish mode not Portuguese.. I should have typed Casas do Teatro not Casa de Teatro.

No one has asked about splurges, but here are a couple:

The Pestana Porto, right on the riverfront in those old houses that make for such a stunning view on the other side.

http://www.pestana.com/en/hotel/pes...ptions[id]=id_P8dhC&options[fullscreen]=false

And the Pousada in the Palacio do Freixo, also on the waterfront, but in a more out of the way location. The rooms are not in the palace but in a modern annex next stood, but it's a very nice place. Rooms may go as low as 90 depending on special rates. (The pousadas in Portugal, by the way have been privatized or at least partially privatized with the Pestana hotel chain taking over their operation). Spa, gym, pools......

http://www.pestana.com/en/hotel/pes...ptions[id]=id_P8dhC&options[fullscreen]=false

I would rate them both very high in terms of price/quality, though they are not cheap. I haven't stayed in the second one (it was full years ago when I was there), but have walked around inside a bit and have heard the rooms are quite nice. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Airporto hostel, Rua da Estrada 244

Friendly, handy for the Metro

Close to airport, not flight path.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Musicman, what was your experience in terms of noise and the other people staying there? Many of us shy away from youth hostels because they tend to be filled with young people for whom enjoying the night life is the primary attraction. This AirPorto hostel is perhaps far enough away from downtown that it doesn't attract that crowd -- what did you find? Thanks, Laurie

No one has asked about splurges, but here are a couple:

The Pestana Porto, right on the riverfront in those old houses that make for such a stunning view on the other side.

http://www.pestana.com/en/hotel/pestana-porto#modal?type=iframe&url=/en/hotel/pestana-porto/gallery/photomodal?galleryFilters=home&theme=collection&options[id]=id_P8dhC&options[fullscreen]=false

I would rate them both very high in terms of price/quality, though they are not cheap. I haven't stayed in the second one (it was full years ago when I was there), but have walked around inside a bit and have heard the rooms are quite nice. Bom Caminho, Laurie

We stayed a week-end in the Pestana Porto and I can definitely recommend it for a splurge. It's a wonderful little boutique hotel, with little sitting areas everywhere to sit and enjoy a glass of wine or a few munchies out of the sun. They also have full bathtubs (which I am told many places do not). A short stroll (5 minutes) from the bridge, and the tour boats are right in front. If you like seafood, I can also recommend Fish Fixe near the bridge. They were able to accommodate our group's various dietary needs without problem, and everything was delicious.

Musicman, what was your experience in terms of noise and the other people staying there? Many of us shy away from youth hostels because they tend to be filled with young people for whom enjoying the night life is the primary attraction. This AirPorto hostel is perhaps far enough away from downtown that it doesn't attract that crowd -- what did you find? Thanks, Laurie
Laurie ! Nel and I once stayed at the pousada de juventud in the Parque das Nações in Lisbon and had a good time and a quiet double bed room. No troubles with noisy youths.

We stayed at Duas Nações in the center of Porto close by Trindade metro station.
People coming in late ,no consideration with others who were sleeping. Leaving very early in the morning with any consideration neither.
That's why we chose on the way back from Santiago for the hotel Central in Matosinhos for a rest and sightseeing Porto. Far better and more relaxed and quiet.and..allmost on the caminho Close by metro stop Mercado and the Leixões bridge.
As I mentioned before finding a privat room via AIRBNB is a better option.
Our Porto AIRBNB was super .. Everything close by . The towncenter . The Trindade metro station , the metrostop Lapa to the airport, shops, bakery shop ,supermarket.
We had an apparment with a small living and a bedroom, shower etc. just enough for a couple of days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie ! Nel and I once stayed at the pousada de juventud in the Parque das Nações in Lisbon and had a good time and a quiet double bed room. No troubles with noisy youths.

We stayed at Duas Nações in the center of Porto close by Trindade metro station.
People coming in late ,no consideration with others who were sleeping. Leaving very early in the morning with any consideration neither.
That's why we chose on the way back from Santiago for the hotel Central in Matosinhos for a rest and sightseeing Porto. Far better and more relaxed and quiet.and..allmost on the caminho Close by metro stop Mercado and the Leixões bridge.
As I mentioned before finding a privat room via AIRBNB is a better option.
Our Porto AIRBNB was super .. Everything close by . The towncenter . The Trindade metro station , the metrostop Lapa to the airport, shops, bakery shop ,supermarket.
We had an apparment with a small living and a bedroom, shower etc. just enough for a couple of days.

Hi, Albertinho, I'll bet the quiet at the Parque das Nacoes is explained in part by the fact that it is 12 km from the Bairro Alto! So it seems like maybe the thing to do is to find youth hostels that are far from party central, whether in Lisbon, Porto, etc.

Hi, Albertinho, I'll bet the quiet at the Parque das Nacoes is explained in part by the fact that it is 12 km from the Bairro Alto! So it seems like maybe the thing to do is to find youth hostels that are far from party central, whether in Lisbon, Porto, etc.
Probably yes Laurie although the Parque das Nações in Lisbon has more to offer, being the World Expo ground just before the Millenium change with restaurants, a big shopping center ,leisure etc so maybe this area attracts more people than the lonesome airport pousada in Porto. But I agree with you. The Bairro Alto is the place to be.

I stayed at Oporto House ~ lovely place, quiet and perfect location for exploring Porto if you have a day or two. Easy to get to the coastal route along the river from here.

www.oporto-house.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back