• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About to purchase my hiking boots.

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Camino de Santiago April/May/June 2016.
Yes, in a few days I will purchase my hiking boots. Yesterday I went in a sport store that have a medioco selections on a variety of different types of footwear. One that got my attention was a pair of hike boots called Alfa a Norwegian brand (not that it matters were my next pair of hike boots are made. Anyone with experience when it comes to Alfa boots? A real shame was that there was no one in the sport store that could give me any good advice, but one thing I noticed was that I had to go one size up from what I normally wear.

I'm going to start my walk from SJPdP probably end of March and walk most of April to the End of the World so any advice when it comes to boots around the time that I'm walking would be most appreciated.

Sincerely
NorwegianWalker

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, I'd say don't buy boots - buy hiking sandals! You will get as many opinions as people on this forum. What do you wear on hikes at home? Provided they have durable soles, why not wear those?

Well, I'd say don't buy boots - buy hiking sandals! You will get as many opinions as people on this forum. What do you wear on hikes at home? Provided they have durable soles, why not wear those?

Hi Kanga, I haven't made up my mind yet, but it's my first Camino, so I'm not going to cut any corners trying to save a few dollars neglecting my feet. But I see what you mean. I have some great hiking sandals, but I probably won't start out from SJPdP in my sandals. Thanks for your input.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
in March/April sandals only might be too little for some stages. I have no experience with Alpha, but taking a brief look at the webpages their hiking boots are clearly overkill for CF. they are more suited for shorter distances in rough terrain, than rather long distances on pretty smooth camino. if my choice would be limited to Alpha, then I would go with Dyna Dynamic at most.

As noted above, you will get many opinions but from me, just my experience as a large fellow (aka not light on my feet). I could not wear just sandals over this length of walk as I need the cushioning and ankle support of boots. I wear mid-high boots (mine are Lowa but that's just a personal preference for my foot size/shape) that are also GTX which could quite likely make your feet much happier with a rainy Camino in April/May! I looked at their website and think the Lyng Dynamic M certainly could be a decent long distance Camino boot! Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you'll pick the ones that feel right.
Buen Camino, Jordon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked in Crocs slip-ons when by Mammuth boots became a litteral pain to walk in 2 days into my second Camino. When I found an outdoor shop I then bought trekking sandals and they wew just perfect (Frances in May). I had decided on boots because on my 1st Camino, with Merrel light trekking shoes I had felt pain in the ball of my feet, so surely thick and heavy would be better. Wrong! Turns out I have flat feet and all I needed was a custom orthotic in a light but well built shoe. I now wear Salomon Ultra something or other, at 740 grams for the pair and would not go with anything heavier.

in March/April sandals only might be too little for some stages. I have no experience with Alpha, but taking a brief look at the webpages their hiking boots are clearly overkill for CF. they are more suited for shorter distances in rough terrain, than rather long distances on pretty smooth camino. if my choice would be limited to Alpha, then I would go with Dyna Dynamic at most.
As noted above, you will get many opinions but from me, just my experience as a large fellow (aka not light on my feet). I could not wear just sandals over this length of walk as I need the cushioning and ankle support of boots. I wear mid-high boots (mine are Lowa but that's just a personal preference for my foot size/shape) that are also GTX which could quite likely make your feet much happier with a rainy Camino in April/May! I looked at their website and think the Lyng Dynamic M certainly could be a decent long distance Camino boot! Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you'll pick the ones that feel right.
Buen Camino, Jordon.

Yes, in a few days I will purchase my hiking boots. Yesterday I went in a sport store that have a medioco selections on a variety of different types of footwear. One that got my attention was a pair of hike boots called Alfa a Norwegian brand (not that it matters were my next pair of hike boots are made, as long it's not made very cheap in Taiwan). Anyone with experience when it comes to Alfa boots? A real shame was that there was no one in the sport store that could give me any good advice, but one thing I noticed was that I had to go one size up from what I normally wear.

I'm going to start my walk from SJPdP probably end of March and walk most of April to the End of the World so any advice when it comes to boots around the time that I'm walking would be most appreciated.

Sincerely
NorwegianWalker
Solomon Ultra trail shoes, my footwear of choice and not one regret.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that is the case for most pilgrims. High boots may not be necessary, but footwear should provide support for the extra weight of a pack and the millions of steps over a month. Sandals do little more than protect your soles from pebbles. ;)

imho, there is a pretty big difference regarding camino waking conditions in march/april or july/august. sandals might be perfectly fine in summer, and my recipe for blisterless camino was alternating them with trail runners depending on the path condition. I would still advice against boots, the ones which are designed for walking in colder climate and/or in mountains. of course, because of individual features one may need different footwear, but then this choice should be validated before departure. the worst case I witnessed in summer 2014, was a pilgrim in pro mountaineering boots, forced to abandon camino, because trying to keep up with his camino family completely ruined his feet. actually he had bought those boots being advised in the local sport store, therefore it is not shame at all if a salesman hesitates to recommend particular footwear when in doubt will it be appropriate for you.

Last edited:
Solomon Ultra trail shoes, my footwear of choice and not one regret.
imho, there is a pretty big difference regarding camino waking conditions in march/april or july/august. sandals might be perfectly fine in summer, and my recipe for blisterless camino was alternating them with trail runners depending on the path condition. I would still advice against boots, the ones which are designed for walking in colder climate and/or in mountains. of course, because of individual features one may need different footwear, but then this choice should be validated before departure. the worst case I witnessed in summer 2014, was a pilgrim in pro mountaineering boots, forced to abandon camino, because trying to keep up with his camino family what completely ruined his feet. actually he had bought those boots being advised in the local sport store, therefore it is not shame at all if a salesman hesitates to recommend particular footwear when in doubt will it be appropriate for you.[/QUOTE

wow feel for him with wrong types of shoes. Lesson learned I can't understand why he didn't get another pair of boots. The person should just sent them home, since it was probably a high end big boot costing money, rather to have the hole journey ruined. Very proud of the big size mountain boots. A hard and surly an expensive lesson that.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, but I will return them if it's not what I expected. No harm done.
Sorry that was messy - my FireFox kept quiting on me and not showing what I'd typed. So I deleted it all and just put in the answer to all questions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@falcon269 after walking nine long distance caminos I think I have some experience. My Ecco Off-Road hiking sandals have rugged soles and are designed to provide support and cushioning. In spite of a weak ankle (fractured a few years ago), crappy knees with old skiing injuries, and a history of back problems they have carried me plus heavy pack containing camping tent and sleeping equipment pain and injury free 840 km on the Norte, then a further 500 km on the CF. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I have walked in boots, I have walked in shoes, I now prefer sandals. Like all footwear they would not suit everyone but they work for me and they work for others. I might consider something else for a winter camino, although I doubt it - Sealskinz socks keep my feet warm and dry if necessary.

Yes, but I will return them it its not what I expected. No harm done.
Yes, but I will return them it its not what I expected. No harm done.
@falcon269 after walking nine long distance caminos I think I have some experience. My Ecco Off-Road hiking sandals have rugged soles and are designed to provide support and cushioning. In spite of a weak ankle (fractured a few years ago), crappy knees with old skiing injuries, and a history of back problems they have carried me plus heavy pack containing camping tent and sleeping equipment pain and injury free 840 km on the Norte, then a further 500 km on the CF. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I have walked in boots, I have walked in shoes, I now prefer sandals. Like all footwear they would not suit everyone but they work for me and they work for others. I might consider something else for a winter camino, although I doubt it - Sealskinz socks keep my feet warm and dry if necessary.
Nice Kanga, I'm very impressed with your story. Ecco has been around for years and years, I remember I used to hava a pair of ecco shoes some 20 years ago and I remember them for the comfort and the quality. I'm probably gonna buy a pair of ecco for myself. Anyway, how do they handle cold and rainy days. Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@NorwegianWalker , I am impressed that this company did not "pink up" for the ladies but when blazen red ;)!

When you get your pair I hope you let us know what you think of your purchase because 150€ is steep! The same number as my Salomons but they are in the super collapsed Canadian $.

Then again hot mama red may clash with my North American teal and fuschia clothes;).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@NorwegianWalker , I am impressed that this company did not "pink up" for the ladies but when blazen red ;)!

When you get your pair I hope you let us know what you think of your purchase because 150€ is steep! The same number as my Salomons but they are in the super collapsed Canadian $.

Then again hot mama red may clash with my North American teal and fuschia clothes;).
I will let you know in a week or so :)

Feet vary so much. In the UK I can only find one brand to fit me and that's Keen. The more I walk, the more comfortable I'm getting with lighter weight shoes. Heavyweight Meindl boots ruined my feet on the first camino.

I'll wade into the debate and just say that my Keen boots were wonderful, light and kept dry. Because of my wide foot I had to buy men's sizing and had plenty of room for two pairs of socks as well as sheeps wool wrapped around toes to prevent blisters. All this worked for me, a non hiker prior to my April-May 2014 Camino of 500km. This year I will hike the stretches I missed last time - again in my Keens.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Feet vary so much. In the UK I can only find one brand to fit me and that's Keen. The more I walk, the more comfortable I'm getting with lighter weight shoes. Heavyweight Meindl boots ruined my feet on the first camino.
I heard good things about Keen. Usually get what you pay. The most important thing is that the shoes are holding its quality and gives you what you expect from them. If you're not happy, then wrong shoes.

Yes, in a few days I will purchase my hiking boots. Yesterday I went in a sport store that have a medioco selections on a variety of different types of footwear. One that got my attention was a pair of hike boots called Alfa a Norwegian brand (not that it matters were my next pair of hike boots are made. Anyone with experience when it comes to Alfa boots? A real shame was that there was no one in the sport store that could give me any good advice, but one thing I noticed was that I had to go one size up from what I normally wear.

Sincerely
NorwegianWalker
I walked that Camino twice, once in 2008 and again in 2010. Both times I used Merell Moab Ventilators and found them awesome. Not a single blister both times. I wore them with medium thick merino wool socks and thin liners and put on vaseline every morning as well. Of course, leaving in March may require different boots.

After reading that they were the most popular hiking shoes my husband tried Merrell Moab Ventilators when we walked the Norte last year. After a few days he hacked into the toe area with a penknife to try to make enough room for his little toes, and alternated wearing them with some uncomfortable thin fairly useless cheap sandals. Unsurprisingly he's giving the next Camino a miss.

He should have worn his old Jacoforms, or bought some new Eccos. When you find something that works for you, stick to it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lots of opinions. Lots of advice. What works for one person will not work for the next. First, make sure that your retailer has a very generous return policy like REI. Wear your camino socks when you try on your camino shoes. Train in them wearing your full camino kit. If there is any doubt, take them back and try something else. Trust me, you don't want to walk any camino in shoes that hurt your feet, just walking the camino will take care of that. I went through 5 different shoes before I found my perfect shoe.
When I walk I wear 1 pair of medium weight wool socks and Adidas TeraX shoes. Stiff vibram soles, roll bars in the heels, and a heavy duty shank. I've got at least 500 miles on the shoes and NO blisters no turned ankles. I have tried walking sandals but I don't like the lack of support. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Kanga, did you have a closed-toe sandal? Did you have any issues with small stones getting into your sandals? I've been thinking of bringing walking sandals instead of flip flops, so I have a second option for walking...

The divide between shoe and boot has closed in recent years. Lots of trail shoes are sturdier and a bit higher around the ankle, and some boots are very light these days. On my last Camino, Pamplona-Santiago-Valenca-Santiago-Fisterra, I had to grab some fairly high trail shoes by Columbia from a shop in Sydney after a mail order failed to arrive. Apart from the waterproofing not working even in the lightest shower, the shoes were a great success in the winter/spring conditions of 2011. I bought two sizes up, stuffed them with Superfeet Green, and always wore liners. They were so comfy I didn't bother taking them off in the evening. However, I was lucky, because one should avoid heading off in new or untried footwear.

I'll be doing the Regordane (Saint-Gilles) Way soon (Iacobo volente!), which doesn't get mentioned much in anglo circles, but seems to be popular with the French. It'll be cool walking in different country to the Frances, so I think I'll wear light boots with plenty of room for liners and Superfeet. But if I was walking the Frances in average conditions I'd probably go with the suggestions above for Solomons etc. The suffering French lady I met in the Bierzo who was wearing pink plastic sandals convinced me that one can go too far in the "lite" direction, though I met many walkers in very light footwear who were fairly cruising.

One mistake I would not live with is wrong footwear. I'm always prepared to emergency-shop and to ditch what I'm wearing on my feet. I'd walk in a chicken suit, but not in the wrong shoes.

Happy trails to all the pilgs

Rob

@C3 to Camino no, my sandals have open toes. People think they will stub their toes but it has never happened to me. The sole of the sandals is longer than my feet, and quite thick. But please, I don't want to persuade anyone. Its just an option to be considered. I have seen so many people suffering on the Camino with uncomfortable footwear.

Thanks Kanga. I have a thing about wanting whatever I pack to be able to do double duty. Add to that that I need more support than flip flops provide for walking around visiting towns. The only question about sandals for me becomes "closed toe (less ventilation) or open toe?"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll be doing the Regordane (Saint-Gilles) Way soon (Iacobo volente!), which doesn't get mentioned much in anglo circles, but seems to be popular with the French. It'll be cool walking in different country to the Frances, so I think I'll wear light boots with plenty of room for liners and Superfeet.
Rob

I walked the Saint-Gilles Way a couple of years ago. Very beautiful - particularly the first few days. The walking was not difficult although there were definitely some places where you needed to keep your eye on the path. We started out trying to stay quite close to the historical St. Gilles route - but it often went close to the road so we ended up just following the GR (the Regordane). If I were to do it again - I would just start out on the GR and stay on it.
The chestnut forests are wonderful and we had good food - although there are many villages without any services. We did see other walkers during the first few days - but they were all following The Stevenson Way. After that we saw only a 4 or 5 people for the rest of the time. We walked in mid-May and it did get very hot as we went south.

Bon chemin,
ml

Thanks Kanga. I have a thing about wanting whatever I pack to be able to do double duty. Add to that that I need more support than flip flops provide for walking around visiting towns. The only question about sandals for me becomes "closed toe (less ventilation) or open toe?"
I have these Keens with the closed toe and really like that they keep the pebbles out when I'm doing short hikes around home. In the summer the ventilation is great and I've been known to even golf in them
keens.jpeg

€46,-
Hi, I love the way your toes are protected, how is it to pick up walk/hiking gear along Camino Frances?
There are numerous stores along the CF (search for the threads in this forum and you'll find many about gear) but unless you are picking up something akin to the Salomon trail shoes, maybe hiking sandals similar to above, the bigger problem you could likely face is having to break in a brand new footwear while on the Camino. I use a type of boot known for being very comfortable out of the box but still put 300-400kms on them before I started the Camino.

Sincerely
NorwegianWalker
Hei!
Har brukt en del ulike Alfa støvler, bl.a Cumulus og Vidda og prøvd en del av de nyeste modellene på hjemlån, men funnet ut at de er for stive og tunge for caminovandring.
I have tried out some different Alfa boots but even if I walk with them a lot during Norwegian winter I would not take them on a camino. Some lightweighted, lower hikingboots are better. Salomon has several light boots and "tursko" with a good sole. So has Merrel and Mammut(nova f. eks.) and Berghaus. If you are not used to walking a whole day in sandals, do not choose sandals as your main walkingequipment (sorry, Kanga). Bring some very light sandals or joggers with as a second pair. If you choose shoes instead of boots buy some with a good sole and try them out with your backpack on. Shoes you think are the best might turn out not be the best with a bp on.
Since it is your first camino be aware that Spain is not hot all year. My first camino was in May/June 2005 and I have never frozen as much as on that trip. So since then I always bring enough clothes.

Last edited:
I walked the Saint-Gilles Way a couple of years ago. Very beautiful - particularly the first few days. The walking was not difficult although there were definitely some places where you needed to keep your eye on the path. We started out trying to stay quite close to the historical St. Gilles route - but it often went close to the road so we ended up just following the GR (the Regordane). If I were to do it again - I would just start out on the GR and stay on it.
The chestnut forests are wonderful and we had good food - although there are many villages without any services. We did see other walkers during the first few days - but they were all following The Stevenson Way. After that we saw only a 4 or 5 people for the rest of the time. We walked in mid-May and it did get very hot as we went south.

Bon chemin,
ml
Hey, thanks m1. You're the first Regordane walker I've encountered on the forum. I'll take your advice and hang on the GR. (A sinus problem has affected my fitness badly, so I may settle for the Stevenson or maybe Brittany canals, but hopes are high for the Regordane still.)

Many thanks

Rob

What brand and fit is obviously personal. I thought last year I was going to buy a certain brand/model based on reviews but when I tried them on they were not the right ones for me. Ended up Buying Keen Marshall shoes (not boots) Bass pro brand cheap hiking sandals (super comfy and strong) New Balance trail runners and flip flops....yep 4 pairs... Pre taped my heels and little toe every day with leukotape . Blister free Camino. I will bring the same shoe combo (new ones though) coming June.
And oh ...yes I did buy all 1 size bigger and made sure they were properly broken in. (I walked like 100 miles in the Hiking boots before the Camino)
Now my son only walked in his Merrell boots 1 day, he had a blister right away so ended up walking the entire Camino in Keen hiking sandals :) We were lucky and had a rain free Camino so sandals worked great.

... advice when it comes to boots

Lowa Renegades (made in Slovakia) .... I've worn these boots walking two Caminos, and along with Vicks VapoRub, I haven't suffered blisters. Don't buy footwear from China, as I've been told, they use environmentally glue that easily separates, and from my experience returning footwear, that seems to hold true.

Just got my Alfa shoes and I'm very happy, perfect fit, not to small, not to big tmp_11323-54181c4eb76c70a9118b4572(2)-575286845.jpeg :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If not the price quoted on their website then .... A whole lot more? :eek: Please say it ain't so.:)
Hi, Anemone del Camino. Here's how you navigate to the reduced price on Alfa, Dyna Dynamic M. First. You go to the Web page and find Alfa, Dyna Dynamic M hiking shoes and the price 1 299 NOK. Second. You then navigate to the bottom of that page and find a key word "kampanjevarer" bottom left. Third. Press "kampanjevarer" and then scroll down to you find Alfa, Dyna Dynamic M B VARE. Voilà, finaly your REDUCED PRICE 849 NOK - THAT'S ABOUT 89€. I hope that's would answer your question. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me :)

Sincerely

NorwegianWalker

Last edited:

Gideon....Keens are the best for me as well. Two caminos in Keens (newly broken in boots both times). What is important is that your toes have room to move, especially after you've walked a few days and your feet swell and turn into Fred Flintstone feet. Tip...buy your boots a bit bigger....you can always tie your boots a bit tighter the first few days but you can't make your boots longer or bigger.

@falcon269 ..My Ecco Off-Road hiking sandals....
One of my camino pod in 2014 walked from Lourdes to Pamplona before she got ticked off with her boots and bought Ecco sandals. Pat wore the Eccos from Pamplona to Muxia and Finisterre and then some time in Barcelona. I b0ught the same Ecco's, wear them often but not sure if I'll walk in them for my meseta camino in April. I have 56 days to decide!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd love to wear sandals but I've found them a lot more problematic than closed shoes. Birkenstocks gave me weird calluses. MBT had me staggering when completely sober. Ecco seemed fine till I tried them on a longer (2+hours) walk and had to limp home in bare feet with a bunion rubbed raw and bloody. Perhaps I should have tried a mens Ecco and/or worn socks. But I generally find the straps in sandals always end up rubbing some part of my foot too much. The most comfortable pair I've ever found was an NZ brand, Viera. But I never did any long walks in them and Viera dropped the magic last.

I have these Keens with the closed toe and really like that they keep the pebbles out when I'm doing short hikes around home. In the summer the ventilation is great and I've been known to even golf in them
View attachment 23808
I've had Keen's like those (about 93 pair in different colors - exaggerating? Maybe not.) since the were released in the early 2000's. Used to hike up Badger Mountain wearing them all year round. Sooooooo comfy. Then one day I wore my hiking boots for the same hike. Hmmm, I was so much more efficient in boots. YMMV but boots going up and down the rockie/sandy/scree covered trail cut my average travel time.

I've just been watching a video on another thread, of some through-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail - 4,286 km long and through deserts, mountains, in every imaginable condition. Interestingly all seemed to be wearing trail runners, not boots.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What Hiking sandals do you use?

Ecco Off-Road Hiking Sandals (in mens, for extra width). But you have to find what works for you. Try lots.

Sincerely
NorwegianWalker
soloman x ultra mids.....piut them on on the plane...butter to santiago

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 23808
I alternated every few days between those sandals and Brooks Cascadia trekking shoes and didn't have any blisters or foot issues. The Keen sandals are so comfortable!

I've just been watching a video on another thread, of some through-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail - 4,286 km long and through deserts, mountains, in every imaginable condition. Interestingly all seemed to be wearing trail runners, not boots.

The article about grandma Gatewood makes interesting read in 1955 at the age of 67 she walked the Appalachian trail 2,200 mile wearing tennis shoes and carrying very basic equipment. She was a pioneer lightweight hiker.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Gatewood

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.