• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for Ferrino and Sea-to-Summit Poncho owners

pudgypilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
voie de tours 2015
For those of you who have either the Ferrino Trekker or the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Tarp Poncho, is either one okay for wearing without a backpack? Is there a way to cinch in the hump on the back if you want to wear it in the evening when you're through walking for the day, for instance?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, SYates. I was asking because I'd like to get something that I could use in the raging summer storms around here, not just on the camino, and I have a feeling that the extra material would make like a sail if it's not contained somehow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
The sea to summit can be snapped up in the back so you don't have such a long cape behind you without a pack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Ferrino cape http://www.ferrino.it/en/catalog/rainwear/78122-poncho-trekker-ripstop-l-xl I have is far too hot, due to its reflecting inner layer, for summer use - but really great in the cold seasons. As for resembling a wind sail - just use a belt (doubles as a clothes lines) to reign things in ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Finally the light bulb goes on -- is this why the inside of my Ferrino is wet within minutes of putting it on in the rain? I had never had this problem with my regular old poncho and thought I was just huffing and puffing and thus sweating more in my old age. Why is there a reflecting inner layer? So maybe I'll just have to get an Altus or sea to summit?

I guess the reflective inside is there to keep you warmer in really cold weather, I really appreciated that when I walked up O Cebreiro in November, but for a summer Camino I would surely take a lighter poncho without that feature. Buen Camino! SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have used both the Ferrino Trekking Raincoat and current use the Sea To Summit Ultra Sil poncho. SYates is spot on about the reflective layer. It DOES keep you warmer in cold weather, but likely too warm in the late spring and summer months.

IMHO, a poncho is better than a more enclosed trekking raincoat, like the Ferrino. It is lighter and better ventilated. Still, any waterproof cover intended to protect you from wet stuff falling from the sides is going to contain perspiration. The more watertight it is, as in a pants and parka suit, the wetter you and your backpack will be. The trekking raincoat has a reflecting inner lining and also does not have adequate ventilation, at least IMHO.

A poncho overcomes most of the ventilation issue. A backpacking / hiking poncho will cover both you and you pack adequately. But your lower legs will still get wet. To counter this, I recommend wearing nylon or other fast-drying zip-off bottom hiking trousers. When you reach your destination, you can easily rinse out the lower pants legs. The usually dry enough to wear again in less than one hour.

My biggest gripe about the S2S poncho is the plastic snaps. They separate easily in a strong wind or with movement. I have been experimenting with various alternative to keep the snaps closed. I used duck tape on one Camino. That sort of worked, but the tape tore with movement.

This year, I used 3M reflective tape to hold the snaps closed. The snaps still came open, but the tape kept the poncho from billowing out in the wind and rain.

Still not a "perfect" solution. My latest notion is to just super glue them closed (snapped) as I never use my poncho for anything but rain protection. But that is an individual decision. I am still thinking on it...

I hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have used both the Ferrino Trekking Raincoat and current use the Sea To Summit Ultra Sil poncho. SYates is spot on about the reflective layer. It DOES keep you warmer in cold weather, but likely too warm in the late spring and summer months.

IMHO, a poncho is better than a more enclosed trekking raincoat, like the Ferrino. It is lighter and better ventilated. Still, any waterproof cover intended to protect you from wet stuff falling from the sides is going to contain perspiration. The more watertight it is, as in a pants and parka suit, the wetter you and your backpack will be. The trekking raincoat has a reflecting inner lining and also does not have adequate ventilation, at least IMHO.

A poncho overcomes most of the ventilation issue. A backpacking / hiking poncho will cover both you and you pack adequately. But your lower legs will still get wet. To counter this, I recommend wearing nylon or other fast-drying zip-off bottom hiking trousers. When you reach your destination, you can easily rinse out the lower pants legs. The usually dry enough to wear again in less than one hour.

My biggest gripe about the S2S poncho is the plastic snaps. They separate easily in a strong wind or with movement. I have been experimenting with various alternative to keep the snaps closed. I used duck tape on one Camino. That sort of worked, but the tape tore with movement.

This year, I used 3M reflective tape to hold the snaps closed. The snaps still came open, but the tape kept the poncho from billowing out in the wind and rain.

Still not a "perfect" solution. My latest notion is to just super glue them closed (snapped) as I never use my poncho for anything but rain protection. But that is an individual decision. I am still thinking on it...

I hope this helps.
Would it be possible to sew in some longish strips of velcro near the snaps? Perhaps that would help.

For those of you who have either the Ferrino Trekker or the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Tarp Poncho, is either one okay for wearing without a backpack? Is there a way to cinch in the hump on the back if you want to wear it in the evening when you're through walking for the day, for instance?

I have the Ferrino and it has snaps at the back you can fasten when not wearing a pack, to gather in the excess. However I also agree with the comments above regarding the lining - it certainly produces an instant sauna effect! I'll be looking for something different for my next Camino, probably a more open poncho like the Sea to Summit.

To answer the first thought, yes, I've worn my S2S poncho comfortably without a pack on. That said, I think personal height would factor in. I'm 6'2" and the poncho hangs down in the back to about 6"-8" above the ground when worn without a pack. Works fine for me but could be a challenge for others of a different height. Would be good if S2S made more than 'One Size Fits All' :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have both the SeatoSummit poncho and the Ferrino Trekker. The poncho was purchsed first, and was fine for the very warm September walking weather in the south of France along the Le Puy route. However, as a solo walker I found it to be annoyingly difficult to put on without assistance (Other people have commented that they managed it more gracefully than I. The main problem I had was getting the rear panel properly draped over the pack. So your mileage may vary.) The Ferrino Trekker is both warmer (that reflective lining) and much easier to put on (full length front zipper). However, the Ferrino designer apparently thinks that raingear is only to prevent hypothermia, and not to actually keep you dry. The Ferrino wetted through quickly in cool September downpours in Switzerland, making for a miserable day.

The main problem I had was getting the rear panel properly draped over the pack

Yes, I found this to be a problem, too, in calm weather. In windy weather I could face into the the wind and let it blow through the face opening and that would stream the back out enough that I could reach it easily to pull it down into position. Then I could lower the hood over my head, but it took a while when there was no wind to help out, for sure.

Loving this thread! I'm going round in circles trying to decide what rain weather gear to take this time. I'm rethinking base layer/fleece/poncho and thinking more base layer/waterproof shell plus a poncho for heavy rain.

I thought initally it would be easy... get an Altus. But I've read a number of threads saying that the new Altus isn't as good as the old... so I looked at Ferrino... but I hate getting hot!

So... basically... thanks for all your ideas and thoughts! it does help :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have (had) both the old and new lightweight Altus and love them. At least I did when I walked without my Pacerpoles, I now find that with the movement of the arms the sleeves get even sweatier and it's harder to get moisture out of the sleeves while walking. I have started wearing my Helsport poncho instead - it is very similar to the Altus in that it is sewn shut along the side, has a hood and space for the pack, and similar to a regular poncho in that it has open sleeves, no front zip and has to go over the head. I like this hybrid because it has good ventilation like a poncho and covers like an Altus. If it gets too windy I might have to put the poncho on first and then lift the pack up under it and put it on, but that is no hardship and only takes two secs. I have a webbing belt I can put on if it flaps too much. The weight is reasonably low, 340g, and it is also tremendously camino chic.

Attachments

• helsport-poncho.jpg
    helsport-poncho.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 61
I like the look of the Helsport in that it has longer arms than many of the other ponchos, ie. S2S

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have the Outdoor Research version of this and works well for a warm weather hike when you don't mind walking wet and are just trying to keep your gear dry. It accomplishes that well enough as the back panel has a drawn cord that encircles your pack and keeps it snuggly against, keeping the rain out. If its warm and raining I guess you're doomed either way, rain water from out or sweat water from within, but sure a hassle to deal with all wet clothes all the time.

I have the Outdoor Research version of this and works well for a warm weather hike when you don't mind walking wet and are just trying to keep your gear dry. It accomplishes that well enough as the back panel has a drawn cord that encircles your pack and keeps it snuggly against, keeping the rain out. If its warm and raining I guess you're doomed either way, rain water from out or sweat water from within, but sure a hassle to deal with all wet clothes all the time.

Can you give me a link or name for your Outdoor Research mini-poncho, jozero? I have a good waterproof/breathable rain jacket and rain pants that I'd like to take for my walk, but have been trying to figure out whether it would be better to take a poncho for more protection instead of the jacket and pants. Maybe this combination of rain jacket/rain pants and mini-poncho would do the trick of protecting both me and my pack.

Can you give me a link or name for your Outdoor Research mini-poncho, jozero? I have a good waterproof/breathable rain jacket and rain pants that I'd like to take for my walk, but have been trying to figure out whether it would be better to take a poncho for more protection instead of the jacket and pants. Maybe this combination of rain jacket/rain pants and mini-poncho would do the trick of protecting both me and my pack.
Here you are @sabbott . As luck would have it, Outdoor Reseach seems to have discontinued but if you google Outdoor Research Pack Hoody you can find them still for sale at other dealers such as this one: http://www.campsaver.com/pack-hoody
pack-hoody-main.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here's what I think after 15 caminos. Anything that keeps the rain from coming in will keep the sweat from going out. So, unless you walk slow enough to keep your body temperature low enough to prevent sweating (when covered in plastic), you will get wet inside when you walk in the rain. I think the only important thing is to keep your pack contents dry, which you can easily do with a pack cover or a poncho. Buen camino, Laurie

One point of consideration is, once wet, it doesn't take very long to risk hypothermia if exposed to a breeze or wind. A 90 degree day with a sudden rain and wind can result in hypothermia just as easily as a 40 degree day, possibly even more so since we're usually better insulated against heat loss in colder weather.

A combination of a very lightweight windjacket and merino base layer (especially underwear, a tee shirt, and a stocking cap) can really help with protecting core temps if our rain system allows too much wind through (notably ponchos or umbrellas, but other systems can be vulnerable too, such as the "hoodies" above) and we are wet, regardless of whether it is from rain or sweat.

A combination of a very lightweight windjacket and merino base layer (especially underwear, a tee shirt, and a stocking cap) can really help with protecting core temps if our rain system allows too much wind through (notably ponchos or umbrellas, but other systems can be vulnerable too, such as the "hoodies" above) and we are wet, regardless of whether it is from rain or sweat.
Good to hear. I've decided on that combination--a light merino long sleeve shirt, a light fleece, and a light windjacket (Patagonia Houidini). Also a Packa waterproof top layer http://www.thepacka.com/ which seem like a good solution to covering both me and my pack. Still debating on rain pants...I'm starting my walk mid-April.

Good to hear. I've decided on that combination--a light merino long sleeve shirt, a light fleece, and a light windjacket (Patagonia Houidini). Also a Packa waterproof top layer http://www.thepacka.com/ which seem like a good solution to covering both me and my pack. Still debating on rain pants...I'm starting my walk mid-April.
I LOVE my Houdini! I wore it most mornings over my merino tee and Columbia "tech fabric" backpacking shirt until things warmed up. Even in sub 40F weather, that combination was sufficient without any additional insulation. My son preferred his fleece to his Houdini (though I'm not sure if that was preference, or the fact that he lost his jacket . . . )

I LOVE my Houdini! I wore it most mornings over my merino tee and Columbia "tech fabric" backpacking shirt until things warmed up. Even in sub 40F weather, that combination was sufficient without any additional insulation. My son preferred his fleece to his Houdini (though I'm not sure if that was preference, or the fact that he lost his jacket . . . )
What's a Houdini??

What's a Houdini??
Patagonia makes a lightweight wind jacket (~4 oz for an XL) with a durable water resistant (DWR) finish called the Houdini. One of the most useful and flexible pieces of gear I've ever owned. It stuffs into it's own pocket for almost no size whatsoever, has a hood, and a full-length front zip. It's highly breathable under exertion and perfect for cooler mornings and evenings because it stops any wind chilling of your shirt underneath, which means your base layer and shirt are far more effective.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just ordered this lightweight water resistant shell that's only 3 ounces. It was a great price, so I couldn't pass it up, even though it's not totally waterproof. It's from REI, so I can return it easily if it's not what I need.
https://www.rei.com/product/898238/mountain-hardwear-ghost-lite-jacket-womens

I thought that it would probably be good on drizzly days, but I think I'd like an Altus for heavy downpours.

Thanks, SYates. I was asking because I'd like to get something that I could use in the raging summer storms around here, not just on the camino, and I have a feeling that the extra material would make like a sail if it's not contained somehow.
I use the sea to summit ultra sil nano poncho with and without pack. It looks cool, keeps me dry and is light.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back