• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Most convenient airport for reaching Leon?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

I hope to walk the Salvador and then Primitivo this summer, and am starting to wonder about the actual 'getting there' part of the journey.

Having previously walked the Frances, the Norte, and the Portugues (from Porto), I never had to think too hard about where to fly into, as there was always an obvious destination.

With regard to Leon, though, it looks a little trickier. So, I'm just wondering, from what airport is Leon most accessible? From an admittedly brief search so far, I see both Bilbao and Madrid are 3 hours + away by road. Ideally, I'd get a little closer than that!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leon itself has an airport, also Valladolid and Oviedo are close, but for all these destinations you have to count in at least one stopover. Buen Camino, SY

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, Mark! From Canada, I have flown into Madrid to get to Leon. I stayed at the Urban Sea 113Atocha at, not surprisingly 113 Calle Atocha which is just a ten minute walk from the Atocha Station. The next morning or day after that, I have taken the train to Leon. I prefer trains to buses but Atocha might also be a bus station. As I remember, it is a pleasant 2 or 3 hours ride and the Leon train station is a short walk (20 minutes?) from the cathedral.

I am in the planning stage for this year's walk in the fall, continuing from Burgos where I left off last summer and I am considering taking the 'right turn at Leon' as someone else on the Forum suggested.

There appear to be a lot more trains on Renfe from Madrid (10 daily) than from Bilbao (2 daily) to Leon. I tried checking Alsa, but their site wasn't responding.

It seems that there aren't flights from Ireland to Asturias airport so Madrid airport would be your best bet. Ryanair may have (seasonal?) flights from Dublin to Santander. You could see if they have one on your travel date but connections from Santander to León aren't great (take a look at the web of ALSA for info about bus schedules from Santander to León) so Madrid could work better (more flights options to/from Ireland and more connections from Madrid to León than from Santander).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...I am in the planning stage for this year's walk in the fall, continuing from Burgos where I left off last summer and I am considering taking the 'right turn at Leon' as someone else on the Forum suggested.
Hi MaryLynn, just wanted to say hi since I'll be doing the same this April. Burgos to Leon and then some adventure days.

Madrid is the best option. From there its a 2 hour trainride, depending on the train. Some will be longer, but the fastest is 2 hours from Madrid Chamartin (which is a good 15 minutes by direct traim from the airport)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last year a €5 seat sale had me travelling with Alsa from Madrid to Leon. Some services to Leon depart from the airport but may not coincide with your arrival time, also fares tend to be expensive.
An early morning flight plus high speed train gives you option to commence walking the same day!

Buen Camino.

Looks like Dublin to Madrid it will be. Thanks for the all responses!

Most read last week in this forum

Is there WiFi connectivity between Cabanillas, Buiza, Poladura and Benduenos?
Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back