• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kangaroo in my pocket

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016, CP 2017, CF SJPP-Astorga 2021
Today I emptied my pocket. It contained enourmous amounts of little stones collected by my two youngest kids, some shells, some gloves, handmade jewelry, elastic bands - and a plastic kangaroo. They always say - can you keep this in your pocket (my jacket has huge pockets)? I heard about the Camino Frances in 1986, when the mother of a friend walked it, and have always wanted to walk it after that. I have not found the time because of studies, the eldest children were small, it has been impossible to take time of work, holidays WITH my family.

But now - I will change job (finally) and have managed to take 1 month off between the old and the new job. I have saved money to pay my share of our living expences while I am away. I have walked - I get up really early in the morning and walk to work - and also find time to have a hilly walk almost every night (if I don't fall asleep when I put the kids to bed- I am often so exhausted at night). I feel semi-fit.
And my wonderful partner will take care of our two youngest (4 and 6) with a smile.

And the 4th of March - only a little more than three weeks - I will start in St Jean. Noone will put stones, shells and certainly not a kangaroo in my pocket on this walk. No little hands to hold while walking. I know that the biggest challenge with this trip will not be blisters and aches. I will miss the kids. But I know they will have a good time without me. And I will be back.

How did you who have (younger) children cope with being away from the kids? And how did the children cope with it? Does anybody have some really good advice?

Tingeling

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Today I emptied my pocket. It contained enourmous amounts of little stones collected by my two youngest kids, some shells, some gloves, handmade jewelry, elastic bands - and a plastic kangaroo. They always say - can you keep this in your pocket (my jacket has huge pockets)? I heard about the Camino Frances in 1986, when the mother of a friend walked it, and have always wanted to walk it after that. I have not found the time because of studies, the eldest children were small, it has been impossible to take time of work, holidays WITH my family.

But now - I will change job (finally) and have managed to take 1 month off between the old and the new job. I have saved money to pay my share of our living expences while I am away. I have walked - I get up really early in the morning and walk to work - and also find time to have a hilly walk almost every night (if I don't fall asleep when I put the kids to bed- I am often so exhausted at night). I feel semi-fit.
And my wonderful partner will take care of our two youngest (4 and 6) with a smile.

And the 4th of March - only a little more than three weeks - I will start in St Jean. Noone will put stones, shells and certainly not a kangaroo in my pocket on this walk. No little hands to hold while walking. I know that the biggest challenge with this trip will not be blisters and aches. I will miss the kids. But I know they will have a good time without me. And I will be back.

How did you who have (younger) children cope with being away from the kids? And how did the children cope with it? Does anybody have some really good advice?

Tingeling
Hi, is a younger wife also count.:cool: I can't answer you about missing the children because we don’t have children.
I missed my wife when se walked here Camino Frances in 2013. Last year I walked the Camino Frances alone, I missed here of course
but it's different when you walkyourself .
You will do fine , wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A small part of the void of being away from your children maybe can be filled with being a "parent" on the Camino. There are plenty of young adults who are away from home for the first time and do not want to admit they miss their parents. A few words of encouragement to them and listening to their concerns would go along ways to helping them make it through a difficult day. And who knows? It might partially replace that desire to be home to be able to nurture your own children. I know I will always be in debt to those married couples who decided to adopt me for an evening of playing cards or the tough walk up to O'Cebrerrio. And I'm sure the younger adults on the Camino would be appreciative as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What a wonderful image you have created. I can just imagine the soft little hands of your children. I know those thoughts will motivate you each day.

Buen Camino and Ultreya!

FaceTime. I know there are those on the forum who do not like technology, but for little people 6 weeks is a long time and FaceTime is a wonderful way of making sure they know you have not deserted them, you still love them, you are thinking about them, and you will be back soon. It may be difficult for you tearing yourself away at the end of each session and "getting on" with the Camino, but I think it will be worth it. It would be a sacrifice of love to bear the pain of the contact.

This is not advice from the Camino, nor is it advice regarding young children. The first time I traveled to Africa, I left behind my daughters, ages 17, 19, and 21. I cried half-way to Amsterdam. The way I got through it after that was to call every morning and every evening, rotating through the girls, so that I was always talking to one or two of them per day. It kept me connected, and also reassured them. I now have 2 grand-children. I just returned from my 4th visit to Uganda. It's gotten a little easier to leave. One daughter came with me, one daughter and the grands brought us to the airport. We stayed connected via phone, text, and Facebook as much as possible. One daughter used the opportunity to introduce her 3-year-old to a map of Africa and pointed out which country I was in. With young children, I would recommend phone and Skype/Facetime.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you Peter, yes - a younger wife absolutely counts! Missing close ones, the feeling is universal.
And Robert - thank you too, it is a good advice to take care of those who needs it on 'the way'.
Seabird, yes, they will motivate me a lot, you are so right.
Kanga - you are always so nice and considerate in your responses - you are right - I will have to find the best 'balance' and put their needs for having contact first and not be unavailable.
Tammi - thank you for sharing your story, skype it is! I will try to contact them just around dinner - when they are not too tired.

Well, I leave in just a few days and now I am able to check the weather forecast for St Jean and Roncesvalles by the end of the following week (4th and 5th of March). it doesn't look too bad. I have a ton of work to do prior to departure - everywhere (home, work, new job, extra job). It just needs to be done, but I have packed already - and have used my fantastic light boots for all occasions the last 3 months; work, teaching at university, meetings, playing outside, parties, walks on ice, rain and walks in heavy snow... I feel super lucky and I am actually a tiny little bit impressed that I have managed this - practically and economically so far (I've had extra jobs to pay the expences at home while away and also the expences - that I plan to keep as low as possible while walking). I have so far experienced positive feedback from (almost) everybody when informing them about this long walk. While walking - I will take one day at a time.

Tingeling

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back