• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Uh-oh....

Hope0925

Jane
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May/June 2016, from SJPdP.
Hello all,
Looks like I may have hit my first speed bump. I'm landing in Paris around 5:30 a.m. on May 5, 2016, and have a reservation in St. Jean Pied de Port for the same evening. For some reason it never occurred to me that I'd have any issues with a train getting me there in time, from Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to St Jean. However I learned today that there are no direct trains for that Thursday (the 5th), Friday or Saturday; a representative at Rail Europe said possibly due to construction on the track but they didn't have details. So, a couple of questions: any idea how else I can get there? And, if I have to cancel my reservation in St Jean, what are my chances of getting my money back?
Many thanks,
Jane

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've changed reservations before and had no problems. I think if you're simply changing the date they'll try and accommodate your wishes without problem... I've also cancelled and had a refund but I guess this is dependent on the terms of the booking?

good luck with your plans!

You could check into planes from CDG Paris to Biarritz--search the forum on getting to SJPD and you'll find info. Also I read somewhere here that there's a bus from Paris to Bayonne or Biarritz. Whether it will get you there by night I'm not sure. I just made my train reservation from Gare Montparnasse Paris to Bayonne, where I'm spending the night. Good luck on working it out!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Indeed, there is a bus from Paris to Bayonne. It is very cheap (25 euro) but also it takes forever.
There are two buses a day, one leaves Paris at 7 am, arrives at Bayonne at 6:30 pm (over 11hrs)
The other one is a night bus, leaves Paris at 11 pm, arrives at Bayonne at 8:30 am (over 9 hrs)

I hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
HOP airlines and essyjet have direct flights to Biarritz. Easyjey from CDG and HOP from Paris-orly.
Hop in the afternoon, easyjet at night.

You may not have a bump; Rome2rio says no trip from Paris to Bayonne for May 5, but there are trains from Paris to Bordeaux on that date, and from Bordeaux to Bayonne date. Check on the SNCF site for more precision, but it just may be a software or inputting trauma.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would be inclined to leave it till a little closer and check train schedules again - sncf.fr is the most reliable usually (the French version - if booking always give France as your ticket pickup location). Right now the schedules do look really weird - none of the usual trains showing and bizarre alternative routes suggested. But although in theory train schedules are available 3 months in advance, I have found that sometimes it's more like 2 months. That is a holiday weekend in France so I would be very surprised if they had such major works planned as to suspend services on main lines. try again in a couple of weeks and see how things look then. Don't cancel your reservation in St Jean just yet!

EDIT: I was wrong, they really are closing part of the TGV line that weekend - see @Kathar1na 's post below. Flying looks like the best option if you can!

Last edited:
I found a TGV seat to Bayonne on Raileurope after the SCNF site said none where available on the date I wanted, so check multiple sites.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Easyjet or other airlines from Paris CDG airport to Biarritz airport...then taxi to SJPDP...but that is pushing it hard if you want to hike over the Pyrenees the next day?

I'm taking easy jet from CDG to Biarritz April 27 leaving Paris at 0700 am and then planning to bus to Bayonne and train to SJPP arriving about noon.

You could check into planes from CDG Paris to Biarritz--search the forum on getting to SJPD and you'll find info. Also I read somewhere here that there's a bus from Paris to Bayonne or Biarritz. Whether it will get you there by night I'm not sure. I just made my train reservation from Gare Montparnasse Paris to Bayonne, where I'm spending the night. Good luck on working it out!
That's the train I was trying to book but there's no train running on those three days! Glad you were able to do it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Easyjet or other airlines from Paris CDG airport to Biarritz airport...then taxi to SJPDP...but that is pushing it hard if you want to hike over the Pyrenees the next day?
Hi Kurt,
No, I've planned a full day to recoup and explore St Jean. I start walking on the 7th, staying that night in Orrison. How much do you think a taxi would cost from Biarritz?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm taking easy jet from CDG to Biarritz April 27 leaving Paris at 0700 am and then planning to bus to Bayonne and train to SJPP arriving about noon.
That sounds like a good option. I checked it out. Any idea why the same flight on Wednesday and Friday would be €66.23 and €61.23 respectively, but on Thursday (my day!) it's €189.23???

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That sounds like a good option. I checked it out. Any idea why the same flight on Wednesday and Friday would be €66.23 and €61.23 respectively, but on Thursday (my day!) it's €189.23???
The cheap seats might already be sold out. Just a thought!

The bots know who you are :eek:. Try clearing out the cache on your computer and enquiring again. Or it might be that that is a popular pre-bank holiday flight and its booked out. Seat prices rise as seat occupancy increases. The last seat is the shareholders divi !

The bots know who you are :eek:. Try clearing out the cache on your computer and enquiring again. Or it might be that that is a popular pre-bank holiday flight and its booked out. Seat prices rise as seat occupancy increases. The last seat is the shareholders divi !
How do I clean out the cache? I'm not familiar with that. I'm willing to try anything, though!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Try searching again, using an incognito window.

It's a good habit to get into when researching flights and hotels!

Hello all,
Looks like I may have hit my first speed bump. I'm landing in Paris around 5:30 a.m. on May 5, 2016, and have a reservation in St. Jean Pied de Port for the same evening. For some reason it never occurred to me that I'd have any issues with a train getting me there in time, from Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to St Jean. However I learned today that there are no direct trains for that Thursday (the 5th), Friday or Saturday; a representative at Rail Europe said possibly due to construction on the track but they didn't have details. So, a couple of questions: any idea how else I can get there? And, if I have to cancel my reservation in St Jean, what are my chances of getting my money back?
Many thanks,
Jane

Hope0925:

Several flights that day from Paris to Biarritz. It will cost you approx. $200. but you will arrive in time to get to SJPdP that day.

Joe

How do I clean out the cache? I'm not familiar with that. I'm willing to try anything, though!
I use a Mac so its a simple "history" and check "delete browsing history". I recall MS systems having an "empty cache" function in "preferences" but its 5 years since I molested a PC.

Try searching Google for "delete / empty cache" for your computer type.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thursday 5 May 2016 is Ascension Day, a public holiday in many European countries. People use this for a 4-day vacation so there is a high demand for early Thursday morning flights to Biarritz.

And there is indeed no high speed train from Paris to Bayonne or Biarritz on 5 May this year. I think that SNCF actually uses such short holiday periods for work on the tracks because business and commuter traffic is low. In any case, this was published today on the SNCF website: Je vous confirme que du jeudi 5 mai au dimanche 8 mai 2016, des travaux de préparation pour la future ligne à grande vitesse ont lieu à Bordeaux. Durant cette période les TGV de et vers le Sud-Ouest ont pour origine/terminus Libourne et certains sont supprimés. Un service de substitution par car est mis en place en correspondance des TGV pour les trajets Libourne <> Bordeaux.

In other words, during 5-8 May 2016, high speed trains from Paris stop in Libourne, and some are even cancelled, and there will be buses from Libourne to Bordeaux. And then there are slower TER trains from Bordeaux to Biarritz/Bayonne.

Wow, they really are. it looks as though the "usual" CDG-Bordeaux trains are showing up if you put in Libourne as the destination, rather than showing for Bordeaux with bus replacement for that final stretch, which is unusual but presumably buses will be laid on. And then hardly any of the normal Bordeaux-Bayonne trains are showing, so either way there would be delays.

I would definitely recommend flying to Biarritz if at all possible to avoid this!

Hope0925,

I found you the train connection that allows you to travel directly from the CDG airport on the 5th of May to SJPP on the combination of express trains and get to SJPP at 10pm on the same day. If you go to Raileurope site, enter your date 5/5/16; time: 7am; from: Paris Airport; to: Bayonne - and you will get the same listing. Todays price is 112 euro from the CDG airport to Bayonne.

1. from Paris Airport CDG 6:56 arriving to Nimes 10:33am
2. from Nimes 11:03 arriving to Toulouse 13:54
3. Two hour stopover in Toulouse
4. from Toulouse 16:06 arriving to Bayonne 19:54
5. from Bayonne you have a local train around 9pm arriving to SJPP at about 10pm. You can buy this ticket when you arrive in Bayonne or even on the train. The price is 10 euro.

The cheap (and tiring) option to get from Paris to Bayonne is that Eurolines coach I mentioned in the earlier post ↑↑ at the top. The total to get from the CDG airport to SJPP in this case would be around 50 euro.

As for the flights:
The morning EasyJet flight on 5/5 is now about 215 euro (if you check your luggage).
The evening EasyJet flight on 5/5 is now about 100 euro (with checked luggage). Although you won't catch the last train to SJPP, there might be a chance to share the taxi from Biarritz airport to SJPP and pay maybe 25 euro per pilgrim.

I hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thank you all so much for taking the time to help me with this. You folks are truly amazing.
I am recently retired and could have chosen ANY DAY to begin my Camino; little did I know I was choosing a European holiday!
I think flying is my best option, since my albergue did specifically ask me to be there by 10:00 p.m. I was looking forward to the train ride but I guess it will have to wait till next time.
Jane

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kurt,
No, I've planned a full day to recoup and explore St Jean. I start walking on the 7th, staying that night in Orrison. How much do you think a taxi would cost from Biarritz?
I always use Express Bourricot from Biarritz airport. It only ever costs me 18 euro . Email Caroline and she will get right back to you with price

How much do you think a taxi would cost from Biarritz?

I used Express Bourricot but you have to ride share to keep the price down...likewise with a taxi you have to ride share to keep the price down...but it is easy to spot Pilgrims and taxis at the Biarritz airport.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back