• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags necessary or not on Puy Way in Spring

Lucy Longpath

Lucy Longpath
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015), Puy Way (2016), North Wales Pilgrims Way (2017), Camino Vezelay(2018) &(2019)
We are wondering if we need to bring sleeping bags in April and May on the Puy Way. Are there blankets in all the Gites? We were glad of them on the Camino Frances last Spring but we knew that some Albergues do not have blankets. Advice would be much appreciated. Apologies if this is covered in another thread which I am sure it is but I don't find it easy to search for the answer without having to sift through lots of results not relevant to the Puy way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You need something, sleeping bag or sleeping sack, for use in gites. They do not permit sleeping directly on the mattresses. Most places have blankets if you need them to supplement a sleeping sack.

Yes. Some of the gites are quite chilly. Most do have blankets but there were nights last May when it was very cold. Sometimes I used my silk liner, my light sleeping bag and a blanket.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It depends. If you sleep like a furnace, then the silk sleep sack will do. If not, you will want some insulation. Yes, one blanket should be available to you in every gite; whether than will keep you comfortable is another question. With long underwear and a knit cap, you can hedge your bets. Remember the Aubrac plateau is at 1000m elevation, and spring snow is not impossible.

It can be very cold, much colder than the Frances during the same period. Our night in Le Sauvage in early May was one of the coldest nights we have ever had on a Camino.

We walked in April/May from Le Puy in 2012. We took sleeping bag liners and did not use or need sleeping bags. I wore my fleece to bed if it was cold.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for these replies. I will take my sleeping bag in that case as I don't get to sleep easily if I am cold. It is only one season and weighs 750grams. No doubt I will be glad of it and the blanket in the Gites.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back