• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Obtaining credential and shell

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it possible to obtain a credential and a shell in Irun when I begin the Camino de Norte in March? If so where? Thank you.
:-( I will be starting on March 11 or 12 and really want to find a shell for my pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are going to get the credential from Ivar you might as well get the shell as well.

Hi @rba, welcome to the Forum. You have plenty of time to obtain a credencial from Ivar's shop here: www.santiagodecompostela.me As for a shell, try your local fishmonger / sea-food restaurant.

Buen camino
My first shell was from a fishmonger from the Dingle Peninsula so was fairly local to me, my second one was from a sea food restaurant in Muxia, I was assured it was caught locally, I brought this home from my first Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
:-( I will be starting on March 11 or 12 and really want to find a shell for my pack.
Does't Ivar also sell shells? Those painted ones? Funny, I don't recall seeing many, if any, on the Norte. Or my memory just failing me?

If you give me your address, I will post mine to you. It has the cross on it and was sent to me late by the agency. I have no intention to keep it when I'm done and would be happy to pass it on to another pilgrim. :)

If you give me your address, I will post mine to you. It has the cross on it and was sent to me late by the agency. I have no intention to keep it when I'm done and would be happy to pass it on to another pilgrim. :)
Now, there's a shell that will have true meaning.

@CykaUJ , I would love to read your blog. I am not tech savvy, how does one read a blog in chronological order?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
how does one read a blog in chronological order?
With difficulty, as far as I know! I think there might be a way for the blogger to re-order the posts. I just start at the first page at the bottom and work my way through.

Update: Yes, bloggers can do it on Wordpress, but it takes a bit more figuring out than most of us want to bother with.

@CykaUJ , I would love to read your blog. I am not tech savvy, how does one read a blog in chronological order?
Unfortunately it is as @C clearly has said, you have to scroll to the bottom and work your way up. I'll look later tonight if there's a way to reverse the order of it! :)

and @rba I am very serious. It will be flung into the sea in Muxia otherwise. I would be more happy to pass it on to you! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I tried to find how to do that, but my layout doesn't seem to allow if.

If you just scroll down to the very first post, once you read it, there is a button that says 'next post' and that will take you to the next chronological one.
Thanks for reading! :)

Rba, under the second link provided by Erian, you can find a place in Irun where you can get the credencial all year round, Tuesday to Sunday, mornings from 9 to 12:30. Parroquia Passionistas, Estación Kalea 22, seems like it is right by the station, you can see the location by clicking here.

By the way: I hope you like solitude and empty albergues, because Camino del Norte in the middle of March is completely deserted. If you didn't feel comfortable with that, the Camino Frances runs parallel nearby (for example one hour by bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona)

Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rba, under the second link provided by Erian, you can find a place in Irun where you can get the credencial all year round, Tuesday to Sunday, mornings from 9 to 12:30. Parroquia Passionistas, Estación Kalea 22, seems like it is right by the station, you can see the location by clicking here.

By the way: I hope you like solitude and empty albergues, because Camino del Norte in the middle of March is completely deserted. If you didn't feel comfortable with that, the Camino Frances runs parallel nearby (for example one hour by bus from San Sebastian to Pamplona)

Buen Camino!
Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A bit off topic, but is there a place in San Sebastián where one can get a credential? A pilgrims albergue, the tourist office or cathedral? While I'll be starting in Irun, I'm not staying at the albergue as I arrive after lock-down, and I don't think I'll have a chance to stop by in the morning. Thanks.

A bit off topic, but is there a place in San Sebastián where one can get a credential? A pilgrims albergue, the tourist office or cathedral? While I'll be starting in Irun, I'm not staying at the albergue as I arrive after lock-down, and I don't think I'll have a chance to stop by in the morning. Thanks.
Search here for some ideas re finding a Credencial for the Norte.

Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you mspath and anemone. The Friends of the Camino has an office at C. Urbieta 2 with limited hours (From April to September on Tuesday's and Thursday's, at 19:00h except holidays) and the office of the Bishopric of San Sebastián (at C. Zabaleta 5) is open Monday to Friday from 09:30 to 13:30. As luck would have it, I'll be arriving in San Sebastián on a Friday afternoon after the walk from Irun, so I'll head out to the Albergue La Sirena and try there. Or for greater certainty, go past the albergue in Irun first thing, why make life complicated?

We walked with scallop shells picked up from the beach at Cape Cod back home. Toward the end of the camino I was secretly collecting postcards, pins, patches, refrigerator magnets, trinkets **and the fancy painted shells**. I gifted half to Peg when she got her compostela.

I'll be arriving in San Sebastián on a Friday afternoon after the walk from Irun, so I'll head out to the Albergue La Sirena and try there. Or for greater certainty, go past the albergue in Irun first thing, why make life complicated?
If you happen to walk your Camino in the summer, before heading to La Sirena, which is on the outskirts of San Sebastian, you may want to check the municipal albergue, it is much more centrally located - link to the Eroski website here - they should sell the credencials there.
Or step into the Irun municipal albergue early in the morning, after the hospitalero is done with making tea and coffee for pilgrims, certainly he won't mind issuing a credencial for you. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you mspath and anemone. The Friends of the Camino has an office at C. Urbieta 2 with limited hours (From April to September on Tuesday's and Thursday's, at 19:00h except holidays) and the office of the Bishopric of San Sebastián (at C. Zabaleta 5) is open Monday to Friday from 09:30 to 13:30. As luck would have it, I'll be arriving in San Sebastián on a Friday afternoon after the walk from Irun, so I'll head out to the Albergue La Sirena and try there. Or for greater certainty, go past the albergue in Irun first thing, why make life complicated?
You could also order your credencial on this website, get it by becoming a member of the Canadian confraternity, or contact Centre la tienda in Mtl, they sell credenciales and might be willing to put one in the mail to you for an additional fee.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.