• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gore - tex jacket.

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Camino de Santiago April/May/June 2016.
Hi, I'm almost done with my hiking gear and ready for my first Camino. I need a jacket and reading alot of informative treads. I'm still not sure of what jacket I should get. I'm almost certain I will end up with a Gore -Tex but not sure what kind of jacket for the Camino Frances in March/April? Price range is so varied so I would appreciate your guidance. Another thing is couleur? Should it be bright so you are visibil for cars/traffic etc. in the early mornings or late at night walk? Thanks for your input in advance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Have you decided to bring rain jacket, rain trousers and a pack cover? If so, a goretex jacket should keep you dry. If you live in Norway though, go to an XXL shop and have a look at the Helsport poncho, which will cover you and your pack instantly instead of stopping when the rain starts and putting all the rain gear on. If you wear gaiters too you are fully protected. If that sort of rain protection (there are lots of other models but the Helsport is easiest to find in Norway) is not for you, then get the lightest jacket you can within your budget. You should have something colourful when walking close to the road, but bright yellow reflex bands around your ankles and arms will also help. PM meg på norsk hvis du vil!

There are great materials on the market now that work great, keep you relatively dry and won’t break the bank. When Gore-Tex was the only good option, prices were high. Now with competition the consumer wins. An option too for consideration is, rain, or weather proof pants to complement a lightweight poncho. This option is best in late fall and early spring (like you). In the dead of winter, go full-on rain gear and a pack cover, or a high quality poncho like the Altus or Packa.
As for color (couleur), you could go with "Look at me" yellow, camouflage, or anything in between. Something visible, but within your fashion tolerances seems best.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I need a jacket and reading alot of informative treads. I'm still not sure of what jacket I should get. I'm almost certain I will end up with a Gore -Tex but not sure what kind of jacket for the Camino Frances in March/April?
Just the other day I was shopping with another member and came across the Marmot Precip jacket. It was a lot like another jacket that I already had and used on the camino (but not often; the weather was good.) The Precip was recommended 3 or 4 times on another thread and that was the one bought over a REI jacket. It cost more but the bang for the buck was much better.

Stay away from the black and gray versions. Stand out from the road so you don't get run down.

I started out on the camino with a poncho and have to say I didn't get on with it. When my wife joined me in Sarria she brought out a Gore-tex jacket for me, it was much better, lightweight and completely waterproof. The jacket was the Berghaus Paklight. These are around £170.00 in the UK, but with a little searching of the internet she found the same jacket for £69.00.

Thanks for responses so far, just the information I was looking for. Anyway, I'm most likely to fly to Paris then Biarritz airport, what I'm considering is getting my goretex jacket in a duty free shop or maybe even get my jacket in France or Spain? Anyone with information about this is most appreciated :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for responses so far, just the information I was looking for. Anyway, I'm most likely to fly to Paris then Biarritz airport, what I'm considering is getting my goretex jacket in a duty free shop or maybe even get my jacket in France or Spain? Anyone with information about this is most appreciated :)
I can't speak to your question about specific shops other than to note the threads on this forum that note many of the shops along the Camino. I will however share with you that several times over the years I've learned the hard way not to take untested gear on big trips (rain gear, camera gear, etc). If you are in a position to get something and use/wear it in the expected conditions and with your pack on, you're much more likely to not have a nasty (and some times expensive) surprise along the way...!

Do not expect to find a goretex jacket that suits you in a duty free shop at the airport in Norway, CdG Paris or T Biarritz ( very small airport). I usually bring a lightweighted "skalljakke" which is good both agaist rain and wind and a very light windjacket to use in the evenings. Combined with other layers it is warm enough. A heavier goretex jacket might be good at this time of the year but also more to carry on hot days.
I advice you to bring a poncho ( even if you bring raingear) that also cover your backpack. A bpcover is not sufficient in heavy Spanish rain.
As Nidarosa says, bring refleks. You are obliged to be visible if you walk on roads, but it is not easy to buy a refleks in Spain.
Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just the other day I was shopping with another member and came across the Marmot Precip jacket...
I wore a Marmot Precip jacket for years (it was so old that it wasn't even called the Precip back then but it is the same jacket). Loved it and it never let me down (never got me wet) Somehow lost it in Seattle last year. Have since replaced it with a The North Face Venture because when I thought I needed it the Precip was backordered. I have yet to test the Venture. (and hopefully won't need to on the Meseta!!!)

Your waterproof jacket will be your outershell. It doesn't have to be gore-tex, this is just a brand. There are several waterproof membranes less well know, but just as good. So if you cant find a gore-tex label on your jacket, this does not mean it is not waterproof or of lesser quality.

I would suggest not getting a heavy jacket. Light weight is good. Make sure you will get the warmth you need from the (midlayer) jacket you will wear underneath your waterproof jacket.

I dont know about a goretex jacket but you can pick up an Altus poncho in SJPP for around 50 euros this year. They are a little less expensive at the shop in Pamplona at 42 euros. They are also carried at the sports shop in Zubiri. I remember them being even less there.

Perfect information you provide Dutch, a real straight forward answer to keep in mind :) and thanks Annisantiago for providing a price and places to pick up hike gear along route :)

Hi - just my two cents worth. When I walked in September 2014, my friend was wearing what she was told was a waterproof Gore-Tex jacket. It was very expensive. For the last two and a half days walking into Santiago , and arriving on the 8th of October, the heavens opened up unmercifully. I live in the Pacific Northwest and believe me we have rain here, but I can still remember the water squelching in my boots. Suffice it to say, she was drenched and more than disappointed. (The weather almost all month had previously been stellar.) Luckily she had a good pack cover and this saved her belongings. The rest of us used ponchos and although our legs and feet were wet, the rest wasn't. For my next Camino, I will repeat a lightweight fleece, lightweight wind/rain jacket (only good as an extra layer, not for heavy rain), and plan to get an Altus poncho or some variation of rather than the cape-like poncho. Also, how heavy is the jacket? If you are carrying this and also need a poncho - weight?? Happy planning and Buen Camino.

I can vouch for the Marmot Precip jacket. Very good price/ quality ratio. And choosing it in a bright colour is always a good idea.
On my first Camino I had a sturdy Mammut black coloured. Too hot and not very visible. https://www.gore-tex.com/product/mammut-kira-jacket/1415317984246/ I used it a my regular coat here so that justified the price.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live in Washington State And I use a lightweight rain jacket that I actually bought at a thrift store foe $5.00. I have REI rain pants also. I hike in 35 degree rainy weather regularly. One Smart wool base layer, one smart wool long sleeve, and a light weight fleece keeps me dry and warm. I carry a poncho for emergency shelter.

I got an light Goretex Arcteryx for my next Camino , I wear it when I go to mountains on my long walks , it is very light and I don't get wet all over my chest and back .
I remember in July crossing the Pirineus raining all the way trought , I didn't get wet because of the rain , I got wet because my cape of plastic was not transpiration !
Buen Camino

Hi, I'm almost done with my hiking gear and ready for my first Camino. I need a jacket and reading alot of informative treads. I'm still not sure of what jacket I should get. I'm almost certain I will end up with a Gore -Tex but not sure what kind of jacket for the Camino Frances in March/April? Price range is so varied so I would appreciate your guidance. Another thing is couleur? Should it be bright so you are visibil for cars/traffic etc. in the early mornings or late at night walk? Thanks for your input in advance.
The color of your jacket is immaterial, your going to cover it up with a pack. Brite colored packs/pack covers or ponchos help during the day but at dawn or at night something reflective is best. I attach a small strobe light for road walking. It stands out. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Hi - just my two cents worth. When I walked in September 2014, my friend was wearing what she was told was a waterproof Gore-Tex jacket. It was very expensive. For the last two and a half days walking into Santiago , and arriving on the 8th of October, the heavens opened up unmercifully. I live in the Pacific Northwest and believe me we have rain here, but I can still remember the water squelching in my boots. Suffice it to say, she was drenched and more than disappointed. (The weather almost all month had previously been stellar.) Luckily she had a good pack cover and this saved her belongings. The rest of us used ponchos and although our legs and feet were wet, the rest wasn't. For my next Camino, I will repeat a lightweight fleece, lightweight wind/rain jacket (only good as an extra layer, not for heavy rain), and plan to get an Altus poncho or some variation of rather than the cape-like poncho. Also, how heavy is the jacket? If you are carrying this and also need a poncho - weight?? Happy planning and Buen Camino.
If the seams are not waterproof taped or maintained Gore-Tex will leak at the seams. The other waterproof membrane materials are applied to the outer or inner surface and over time will wear off and leak. My beloved Eddy Bower gave up the ghost after 3 years of hard use. Took it back and they replaced it. Love lifetime guarantees.
Amazon sells the Ferrino Poncho which is like the Altus. Mine has kept me dry on 2 caminos and I expect it to do the same in April. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

The Packa is a bit better than the Altus (I have both). It is worth the price, since the best Altus is no longer being manufactured.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Craghoppers.com have a sale on. One style of Gore Tex jacket is £70. Army surplus stores should have ponchos. They are probably quite heavy. I recently saw a Swiss Army poncho for £5.95

If the seams are not waterproof taped or maintained Gore-Tex will leak at the seams. The other waterproof membrane materials are applied to the outer or inner surface and over time will wear off and leak. My beloved Eddy Bower gave up the ghost after 3 years of hard use. Took it back and they replaced it. Love lifetime guarantees.
Amazon sells the Ferrino Poncho which is like the Altus. Mine has kept me dry on 2 caminos and I expect it to do the same in April. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Urban Trekker
What is the purpose of the silver lining inside the Ferrino Poncho?
Did it make you sweat?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Urban Trekker
What is the purpose of the silver lining inside the Ferrino Poncho?
Did it make you sweat?
If I was exerting myself yes I would perspire profusely. You always perspire that's how the body controls body temperature. The reflective lining is intended to help you stay warm by reflecting body heat. Great idea if your just walking but not if you're exerting yourself walking the camino, especially with a pack :). Ponchos don't breath and the jacket type do not ventilate well.
Breathable waterproof material is designed to keep outside moisture from getting in while transferring perspiration and heat out but exertion creates more perspiration and heat than the material can effectively transfer and you over heat and your clothing gets damp which is why layering of clothing and ventilation are so important. Its better to be cool and damp than hot and damp. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

If I was exerting myself yes I would perspire profusely. You always perspire that's how the body controls body temperature. The reflective lining is intended to help you stay warm by reflecting body heat. Great idea if your just walking but not if you're exerting yourself walking the camino, especially with a pack :). Ponchos don't breath and the jacket type do not ventilate well.
Breathable waterproof material is designed to keep outside moisture from getting in while transferring perspiration and heat out but exertion creates more perspiration and heat than the material can effectively transfer and you over heat and your clothing gets damp which is why layering of clothing and ventilation are so important. Its better to be cool and damp than hot and damp. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Thanks Urban Trekker!
I haven't yet decided on rain gear for my spring Camino, so appreciate your informative response.

Your welcome. Some people prefer coat and pants rain gear. The weather can change rapidly and taking coat and pans off and on is a hassle. I can slip out of my poncho and leave it hanging from my pack easy on easy off and I can keep on walking when I do. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is newer and probably better technology out coming than traditional waterproof/breathable fabrics. Both The North Face (Hyperair) and Columbia (Extreme OutDry) have permanently beading rainwear that is probably a game changer.

The problem with traditional Goretex and Goretex-like fabrics is that once the outer surface wets out (and it will in an all-day rain: think Galicia and, for us, the walk to Roncevalles) the "breathable" part of the raingear goes away. Basic physics: Goretex is a membrane (or, a wick, if you like). It allows water vapor to move. But to get water vapor to move, there has to be a lower concentration on the outside than on the inside. Once the outside fabric wets out, essentially there is 100% humidity on the outside--hence no more vapor transmittal and you get wet from your own sweat (condensation). This is why all of there rain jackets come with a DWR surface that is supposed to keep water beading of the outside. And it does, for a while. Great for short thunderstorms. No so great for Galicia. You can get various products to keep your DWR surface refreshed, but inevitably, a Galician rain will eventually result in wet out.

Hence, the advantage of permanent beading fabrics--the will not wet out. This could be huge.

Downside. These new technologies are expensive and not yet well tested. (REI does not even have weights for the new jackets yet, although I've seen on in a North Face store).

So here is my approach--I would not invest in a great Goretex jacket at this time--by next year the bugs will be worked out, other cheaper versions will be out, and you will want to replace whatever you buy anyway. Many backpackers have foregone the present waterproof/breathable rain wear, opting to use cheaper, non-breathable gear (because that is what the Goretex will revert to once it wets out), and focus instead on rainwear that allows good ventilation. See all the discussions of ponchos above. My wife used a Ferrino poncho on the Frances (July 2014) and it worked for her. I used my Goretex-like rain gear and it was good for cold mornings and evenings, but not as good for rain. I'll probably carry it again on a planned Ingles Camino this October (since I already have it), more for warmth in the rain than for any actual notion that it will keep my dry--I'll dry out when I get to the alburgues.

Here are a couple of links that may explain the problem with the current Goretex:
http://sectionhiker.com/why-does-rain-gear-wet-out/
http://andrewskurka.com/2012/breathability-its-importance-mechanisms-and-limitations/

Here are a couple of articles on the new technology
https://gearjunkie.com/gore-tex-active-membrane-permanent-beading-surface
https://gearjunkie.com/gore-tex-act...ir-gtx-jacket-permanent-water-beading-surface

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back