• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Underwear right size

camagual

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés (2016)
First, I apologize if this is not where you post a question like the one I have, I just couldn't find another way. And it's sort of a silly question but important to me.

I have decided to go with Ex-Oficio underwear, bought one medium and one large; obviously one fits tighter but both are okay, I could wear either one. Which one would be the recommended to wear in El Camino? Also, I want to buy another and want to make sure I buy the proper ones. Wouldn't want to walk for weeks with the wrong underwear.
Participants:​

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First, I apologize if this is not where you post a question like the one I have, I just couldn't find another way. And it's sort of a silly question but important to me.

I have decided to go with Ex-Oficio underwear, bought one medium and one large; obviously one fits tighter but both are okay, I could wear either one. Which one would be the recommended to wear in El Camino? Also, I want to buy another and want to make sure I buy the proper ones. Wouldn't want to walk for weeks with the wrong underwear.
Participants:

Just take your regular every day underwear.
This is a long walk, not a mountain hike.
You don't need special clothing.
Honest.

I have decided to go with Ex-Oficio underwear, bought one medium and one large; obviously one fits tighter but both are okay, I could wear either one.
Ex-officio is good. I overheard some women raving about theirs too. They are expensive though. I say go with the two that you already have. Two pair did me well for 12 weeks. You can always wear the more uncomfortable pair (the tight ones?) just for the time it takes for the other to dry.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
in other trekking talks, some people shared that tighter undies created a rub where elastic rides inside the leg (required slicing with knife to relieve)
N

All I recommend is nothing cotton...I made that mistake the first few days and never again...the problem is that cotton never dries so your skin turns red.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think ExOfficio Give-N-Go sets the standard for travel underwear. They are comfortable, quick trying, long lasting, and are treated with an antimicrobial.

I took one pair each of Give-N-Go Briefs and Boxer Briefs on my Camino and really did not have a strong preference. As to size, just wear what is comfortable.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This question has me flummoxed. I am not aware of people experiencing swollen buttocks on the camino, so I don't think you don't need to go a size larger than usual, as is often recommended for shoes.
Indeed, other than my feet, which did expand, most of the other bits of me that started a little on the plus size seemed to shrink. I wouldn't be tempted to buy clothing a size larger.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I still dont get these underwear questions. No two pairs of feet are the same, bud the same goes for your behind, right? Dont think anyone here has the right answer to your question and if they do, i might have some question about that ;)

Indeed, other than my feet, which did expand, most of the other bits of me that started a little on the plus size seemed to shrink. I wouldn't be tempted to buy clothing a size larger.
On my first Camino back in 2014 I remember meeting a well built German lady who was carrying quite a heavy pack which she explained contained two full sets of clothes in three different sizes. Apparently on a previous Camino she lost so much weight her clothes were almost falling off her. Someone asked if she would dispose of the larger sizes as she lost weight so that her pack would get lighter, but she said no because when back home she would get bigger again. :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Participants:

Not a silly question at all. OK guys - girl stuff - look away now!

I have used Ex-Officio underwear for lots of treks and overseas travel. I bought 2 new pairs of undies for my Camino last year to replace the previous ones that had lasted for 11 years. They are an expensive initial purchase but last well, wash easily, dry quickly and survive all forms of abuse. I find that walking 800kms slims down and tightens your bum a bit (yayyyy!!!) and also that the undies do stretch a bit after many, many washes - as long as it's not in really hot water - so that the tighter ones might work.

I'd recommend that you test them out now to get a better idea of comfort level.

Seems like another use for Walter Hunt's wonderful invention in 1849 - the safety pin. Go with the larger and pin up the waist band as needed. It worked for me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked with Tilley undies on my first Camino and had a major gash from the seams. Size was fine, it was the thick seams that caused the problem. Had chosen the Tilleys because they would dry quickly, and that they did, but at what price...

I walked with one pair of Tilley undies and with various other cheaper undies. All were comfortable enough, but only the Tilleys dried really quickly. I am going to buy one more pair for further adventures, as I never need more than one spare pair when they dry so well. The rolled finishing around the legs is fairly thick, but this does not bother me at all. To each her own.

I walked with Tilley undies on my first Camino and had a major gash from the seams. Size was fine, it was the thick seams that caused the problem. Had chosen the Tilleys because they would dry quickly, and that they did, but at what price...
Do Tilley continues to make those awful underpants? Does anyone ever buy a second pair?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Off subject...but had to share:p! I love Exofficio underwear and have taken them on five caminos. I am currently helping a first timer plan her equipment so we made an initial trip to the REI sports store this week and spent over 4 hours trying on of packs and shoes/boots. While my friend was walking around the store testing packs the salesman (he around mid 40s) and I (female early 60s) started discussing what we pack. Before I knew it we were talking about how much we love Exofficio underwear - the fit, they don't ride up, easy to wash and dry, indestructible, etc. We both admitted we were currently wearing Exofficios My husband had a good laugh when I told him I spent the afternoon comparing and discussing my underwear with a man I just met:D!!!

wow... didn't think this topic would make it to this forum... but hey, all are welcome !!! Am packing to hopefully leave this coming Friday to Santiago and then walk The English Way. I've seriously been thinking of taking just ONE pair of walking trousers..... but no compromise on underwear, socks included. I've got to have a clean set each morning. The English Way is a short walk-in-the-park but the weather seems it will be very wet, so another pair of quick drying walking trousers perhaps? Oh this is soooooooo much fun. Buen Camino :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dude, only thing I can say is that just like everyone else, only you know what level of tightness you prefer in a pair of long distance walking skivvies (or any skivvies for that matter). Impossible to answer that question in that regards.
That being said, only advice I can give is to definitely wear synthetic tech and make sure they don't rub and chafe you. Last Camino I walked I had to ditch the skivvies after the first week or so and do the rest of the CF commando.
Vaseline and baby powder comes in handy, too.

Boys´stuff now - Ladies look away;
Use merino wool undies, to avoid chafing and exposure to extra humidity and resulting red skin.
To avoid law suits I will consequently not mention ANYthing about my bits !
(I wouldn´t mind, I am Scandinavian, but...!!!!)

Sincerely Yours....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
HAHAHA I have no comments, Dude really?

zzotte

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's good someone is watching, thanks for keeping me strait :) no offense taken

Boys´stuff now - Ladies look away;
Use merino wool undies, to avoid chafing and exposure to extra humidity and resulting red skin.
To avoid law suits I will consequently not mention ANYthing about my bits !
(I wouldn´t mind, I am Scandinavian, but...!!!!)

Sincerely Yours....
I doubt any ladies could resist reading on. Intrigued by the mention of law suits - what would be the potential cause/s of action?

Rohan 'cool silver', or 'ultra silver' trunks (or briefs) for men; 'ultra siver' briefs for women (they no longer make the ladies' cool silver). Smooth, non friction and quick drying. We take 3 pairs for convenience each but they do dry overnight. Expensive but wear well and they stretch enough to be a good comfortable fit. Sizing is good - just check the size guide if needed as all are given in UK sizes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wonder if the real question was whether one might expect to lose some weight along the way and fit into a smaller size?
I lost kilos and kilos walking in August
But I agree regular underwear works well enough.

I lose a pound a day, then another 50% or more back home. Pants make their way down my hips, not the unmentionables. Pack safety pins: good to hang laundry and ensure pants stay up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since the questions are getting personal, I have one I've been hesitating to ask until now. I've been trying out a pair of ExOfficio and every time I wear them I get pimples. This does not happen when I wear cotton underwear -- which I will NOT wear on the Camino. Should I be looking for something else?

Since the questions are getting personal, I have one I've been hesitating to ask until now. I've been trying out a pair of ExOfficio and every time I wear them I get pimples. This does not happen when I wear cotton underwear -- which I will NOT wear on the Camino. Should I be looking for something else?
Yup, look for something else. If you are reacting to one the the fibers in the material in a day just imagine the disaster day after day and with added sweat.

I doubt any ladies could resist reading on. Intrigued by the mention of law suits - what would be the potential cause/s of action?
That would depend the kind of American Lawyer you would ask, that sort will have a bright eye for any carrion !! - Indecent exposure to the delicate of mind !??

Last edited:
All good posts above. My consolidated offering:
  • No cotton, stays wet, dries slow...always use synthetic :) or wool (I cannot, tender skin...;))
  • Loose fitting, elastic around the legs will likely cause chaffing and irritation.
  • Briefs or boxers? (I wear loose boxers most everyday, and use my normal Ex-Officio boxers on Camino.)
  • How many? I recommend three. One on, one just washed and dry or almost, and one dried the prior day.
  • Size? If it fits comfortably when you leave home, it will be a tad larger after a month's Camino...
Thats it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Not to minimize your discomfort, but imagine a 15th century pilgrim being stymied by a pimply butt.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just wear your normal undies......then, you know already what works for you and what doessn't.

Nope, normal undies didn't work for me. I'm not sure if it was because I lost weight or not, but my knickers rode up, and drove me insane. I ended up buying a couple of pairs of men's knit underpants, and they were brilliant.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Participants:
Hi Mack, not a silly question at all in my opinion. I have also decided on ExOfficio underwear and would fit into either the small or medium. Like you either would work but one is a bit more snug and I have decided to go with the small as I just feel more comfortable. But I would say but a pair that yo uthink will work and wear them for a while to see how they feel when you are hiking in preparation for the camino.

Eeew!!! THAT is why I cannot wear wool.

I must have a 15th century butt...:eek:
Does that go for ANY wool including Merino and Alpaca !??
usually Merino does not intch because of hairs are less than 17 microns in width.
But of course there could be allergy to wool/ lanoline !??

I've had nothing but good experience with Ex-Officio boxers on three caminos. Give them a try. Go with the ones that fit well now.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Participants:
I have two pairs of exficio myself. I figured I'd give them a try because of their claims to be quick drying, comfortable, and lightweight. First of all I'm not all that thrilled with the quality and the claims about how quickly they dry are not entirely true. Not by a long shot. In fact, I find cotton dries faster. Honestly, I wouldn't go with anything other than Patagonia "barely there" underware, which come in briefs, thongs, and my favorite...hipsters. I really like the way they fit and they are so comfortable (seamless and tagless too). My favorite feature is how quickly they dry. They come out of the washing machine practically dry. They may cost you a bit few more, but they are well made and will last a lot longer than Exoficio underware. Plus they have some really nice colors to boot. Hope that wasn't too much information.

I was thinking of trying Under Armour underwear. Has anyone had experience with them?

Does that go for ANY wool including Merino and Alpaca !??
usually Merino does not intch because of hairs are less than 17 microns in width.
But of course there could be allergy to wool/ lanoline !??

Yes, I have had direct, bad experiences with Merino t-shirts and under clothes, and Alpaca outwear. In addition to sensitive skin (it is a contact rubbing, friction thing, not an allergy, per se), I suspect the fact that I am a largish fellow and do sweat a fair amount, may have a bearing on the result.

Wicking and drying is a key, critical performance requirement for me. The synthetics tend to perform better in my experience. In fact, I was on a walk in South Beach, Miami yesterday with the local APOC chapter. While out, a water fountain "upchucked" on me. I was drenched. However, the Underarmour polo shirt I was wearing was dry to the touch in 20 minutes. Wool cannot do that.

In my repeated and direct experience, synthetic performance fiber works best for me. I also find them a snap to wash, dry, and transport.

Also, if I need another along the way, I can replace the standard brands like Champion or UnderArmour anywhere, albeit at higher prices than I pay here in the States. Conversely, many of the wool brands are more esoteric, specialized and difficult to find.

Finally, when I moved to Florida in October 2015, all my wool sweaters, hats and gloves; as well as heavy fleece garments, went into storage for when I visit relatives living "up north," or in northern or eastern Europe between October and May.

Even my aloha shirts are synthetic blends. They wick sweat much better and, in my view, are easier to maintain. Don't get me wrong, I love natural fibers, but wearing them is highly situational for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If your undies really are the problem, you could always buy new ones somewhere along the way

@t2andreo,
Finally, when I moved to Florida in October 2015, all my wool sweaters, hats and gloves; as well as heavy fleece garments, went into storage for when I visit relatives living "up north," or in northern or eastern Europe between October and May.

Even my aloha shirts are synthetic blends. They wick sweat much better and, in my view, are easier to maintain. Don't get me wrong, I love natural fibers, but wearing them is highly situational for me.[/QUOTE]

I see that I have an entirely other problem-sphere/ project - glad to have it fenced this off:
I tend to travel the Camino in cooler months with cold mornings and cold nights; here wool is essential.

When heavy activity is concerned, I have different solutions in temperatures from zero to 12 centigrades, and a strict regime when dealing with sub zero temperatures.
My three layers strategy is ; synthetic / woolen first layer, then Woolpower (Swedish) looped Terry knitwear and then windbreaker, mostly a highhly reflective bicycle jacket for walking along roads.

My best bet for a good synthetic/wool combo that you could try (up north like) is the Helly Hansen polypropylene/ merino first layer tee shirts / Warm series - I have tried it out this season and found that it combines the said wicking effect and the body heat preserving properties. Said garment has synthetic on the inside and the woolside outward, so no woolcontact !!

I do agree with you, totally, that somewhere in Florida, this regime is unthinkable...

I however want to draw your attention to a photo from Foncebadón in a blizzard just recently to give you the right chilling effect !!!!

Yours respectfully, Stivandrer, Denmark (minus 5 degr C today )

Examples are:

http://woolpower.se/en/
http://shop.hellyhansen.com/dk/products/men/base-layer/#f_technology=HH Warm&fc_technology&sort_by=section_position_40603_asc,timestamp_desc&page_size=16&secid=40603&page=1
http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=16

picture: https://www.facebook.com/1950216838...021683864254/1132056166827463/?type=3&theater

Focebadón in blizzard.jpg

Last edited:
Forgive me, forgot this was a thread about undies - though Helly Hansen/ Woolpower have polypropylene/merino undies for a brass welders days, too !!!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We need a laugh button! :p:p:p
I am wonderfully entertained by this thread - just when I thought I read all the questions about the right gear and clothing, up comes a question about underwear. And then I'm asked to look away while the question is on the table - and that after a few of my male counterparts piped in with responses! Yes, where is that laugh button!!! And I did wear underwear Gil - I thought most did, but to each her own.
how about TOPS next???I won't look
We need a laugh button! :p:p:p

Just when I thought I heard it all regarding gear and

suggestion of TWO new buttons:

We are amused ! And We are NOT amused !

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.