• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first time for every thing :D

shira

Time of past OR future Camino
I wish to walk the Camino during Sep 2016
hello I plan on doing the camino frances on Sep 2016.
I've only 31 day of walk, that mean I'll have to pass some of the route.
  1. on which part you rhink can I pass?
  2. I would wand to know about the arrivel from Barcelona to Saint Jean Pied de Port on public trensportation?
    I would wand to know about the arrivel from Barcelona to Saint Jean Pied de Port on public trensportation?
    how do Iget from barcelona to Saint Paid?
  3. is there pubblic trensportation from Burges to Leon?
Thenk You for answering
Shira

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buses and trains parallel most of the route after Pamplona, so you will have daily opportunities to decide which part to skip!

From Barcelona, you can take trains to Pamplona, then the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. It also is possible to take a train from Barcelona through Toulouse to get to Bayonne, and then SJPdP. I think that takes a while.

The bus from Leon to Burgos is the most convenient way to go, but there is also a train. The train station in Burgos is far from the center of town.

Buen camino.

Just because you have 31 days to walk the CF, doesn't automatically mean that you will have to skip some of the route

But it might mean walking for longer each day (certainly by September, there should be no need to stop early in order to grab a bed) and missing out on stops for coffee - it will certainly be light enough from 7.30am to start walking each morning so 25km should take only 6 hours or so

You might even think about starting in Pamplona or Roncesvalles just to ensure that you have time to walk all the way to Santiago

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with Spursfan starting from Pamplona (wich is easy to reach from Barcelona by train, intercity, around 4 hours and appr. 40 euro's) will give you plenty of time to reach Santiago if your knees stay okay and the blisters dont hurt so much. You even can enjoy looking around the country side and have a picknick :)

So Buen Camino

it will certainly be light enough from 7.30am to start walking each morning so 25km should take only 6 hours or so
At the beginning of September, dawn in Pamplona will be just after 7.00 am, and sunrise just after 7.30 am. By the end of the month in Santiago, dawn will be just after 8.00 am and sunrise just after 8.30 am. It might just be possible to get those early starts in walking conditions early in the month, but you might need a good headlight if you were contemplating doing that later in September.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
:p;) Thank you.
Is there by any chanse has any one have good and relayable website that shows weather?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you mean short term weather forecast, the best is probably aemet.es, as mentioned by @falcon269.
Long term forecasts are by essence unreliable... Even more in North Spain and Galicia :eek:

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

The link I posted above allows you to look at historical data, which I find useful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK bit of chainges.
I'll be landing in Barcelona on Sep 6th and flight off from Madrid on Oct 4th it means I've about 28-27 days to be on the Camino.

This year, september could be a very "busy" month. I suggest you to start walking at Estella or maybe Logroño. (Easy to arrive from Barcellona) You´ll have time to walk the entire Camino from these cities, having time to take one or three resting days if needed, or pay a tourist visit to Madrid or other city.

thank you. I'm considering cutting from Leon to Burges buy bus. it wouldn't be enough?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are 200 km aprox. from Burgos to Leon. Usually six to seven days walking. But you would lost one of the most important part of the Camino : The Meseta. Buen Camino.

The area between Burgos and Leon, almost flat, 800 m high.
Can be very hot in summer, very cold in winter and if the wind is blowing, quite harsh.
In its monotony, it' a marvelous place to think, reflect and pray.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From a Swiss perspective the meseta may be monotonous - from an Australian perspective it is plenty varied! Not flat until one gets to Boadilla del Camino, from Burgos to Boadilla there are plenty of ups and downs (including the mule-killer hill outside Castrojeriz).

What is the ' The Meseta'?
It's a part of the Camino Frances that is comprised of rolling hills and flat landscape. Lot's of agriculture. Looks like a lot of places I have been before. Actually looks kind of like the Texas panhandle to me. It's really no more or less harsh than the rest of the Camino Frances. Not a desert in any way. It kind of gets a bit of an exaggerated flare. Nonetheless, it's a cool place to walk and the flat sections of it give your knees a break.
Don't know if you have 31 days total on the Camino Frances (including travel days), or 31 walking days (not counting travel days). If you have 31 actual walking days and are in good physical shape, you can do the walk in that much time from St Jean. My first guidebook for the Camino was actually composed of 30 days of stages.
But you can easily walk the Camino, skip a section or two here and there and still have a wonderful experience. Start in St. Jean and as you walk, decide where you want to jump ahead so as to reach Santiago on schedule. Believe me you won't shortchange yourself skipping 3-4 days. Just make sure you do the complete stretch from Sarria to Santiago.
cheers and ultreia

OK bit of chainges.
I'll be landing in Barcelona on Sep 6th and flight off from Madrid on Oct 4th it means I've about 28-27 days to be on the Camino.

With only 27 days on the Camino you will be hard pressed to walk all the way from SJPDP to Santiago. Once I start walking I don't like to interrupt it with transport - to me it does not feel like a pilgrimage when I do. So I'd probably elect to start in Logroño.

If I wanted to see the Pyrenees I'd plan to come back another day and walk from somewhere in France.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back