• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two nights in Leon

Quinranda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016)
I just booked my tickets to Madrid in July and plan to spend 2 nights in Leon before walking-want to give myself and my daughter a few days to acclimate. Does anyone have suggestions for nice, inexpensive place to stay for 2 nights in Leon? Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks. Guzman is full. Guess I'm going at a busy time! I'm looking at either Hostal San Martin or Hospederia Monastica Pax. Any thoughts?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks. Guzman is full. Guess I'm going at a busy time! I'm looking at either Hostal San Martin or Hospederia Monastica Pax. Any thoughts?
The Pax will give you an intro to the Camino as you watch people already en route from your room in the courtyard.

Quinranda, Just a thought -- we recently had a thread on booking.com and how you should always check with the hotel/hostal directly. Booking does not have access to all rooms, and it will show that nothing is available when in fact all that means is nothing is available on booking, but lots may be available at the source itself. Not sure if you have done that, but if not, the Guzman does have an online reservation form. Buen camino, Laurie

Wow...full already.
Tripadvisor has several places listed there in Leon. Maybe look at the reviews on there. I've found them to be fairly accurate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hostal San Martin. Lovely place to stay. Few minutes form the cathedral. The lady who runs it is very friendly and welcoming. Runs around 25 euros a night. Can book on booking.com or trip advisor.
Buen camino! :)

The Leon Parador is not exactly 'cheap' but it is relatively lower cost than one would think.... If only I had known when I passed through ... Parador Leon. http://www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-leon
The pilgrim discount price is E107 (this was per night for a single room). You might be able to get a double/twin room for a better price. This price includes a very, very good breakfast. It will be a good start to your sacrifice. Cheers

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just booked my tickets to Madrid in July and plan to spend 2 nights in Leon before walking-want to give myself and my daughter a few days to acclimate. Does anyone have suggestions for nice, inexpensive place to stay for 2 nights in Leon? Thanks

We stayed at Hotel Boccolino when we went through Leon in October. Reviews on Booking.com are varied but I'd definitely read the poor reviews b/c they reflected our experience. The rooms were terrible (we asked to be moved b/c the first room we got was simply unacceptable for renting out); they increased our room charge without telling us; they were basically horrible and I would recommend that people give their money to other hotels/hosts who really do want pilgrims staying at their places.

Try Albergue Unamuno. It's also on booking.com and in my opinion is the best cost/location option. No curfew.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed at the FC Infantas (behind the cathedral) It is a ten-minute, early morning walk to the beginning of the Camino. It's a nice, clean, reasonably priced boutique hotel. Highly recommended.

I'm spending two 'Knights' at Don Suero - on my way to the Puente de Paso Honoroso - for a little jousting! That would be June 2-3

Last edited:
We spent two nights at the Hostal San Martin, a small hotel about halfway between the Cathedral and the Basilica de San Isidoro, right on the Camino route through León, Not fancy, but clean and comfortable. We paid €39 per night for a room with double bed in 2013. There is a nice Pilgrims' Mass and blessing at San Isidoro each evening at, as I recall, 7pm.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm spending two 'Knights's' at Don Suero - on my way to the Puente de Paso Honoroso - for a little jousting! That would be June 2-3
Don Suero is fine. I've stayed there a couple of times.
I did kind of get put off when one night, I opened my window into the center to find a drunk guy peeing out HIS window into the center.:eek:

I have stayed at Hotel Real Colegiata San Isidoro a couple of times. The going rate last May was 54 euros for a single, with really nice breakfast buffet included. I think the rates are higher this year, and in July, but it's worth a look. The property is located right on the Camino, about a five minute walk after / past the Cathedral. It's a three-star hotel, so there will be an English speaker at Reception. And you can reserve on booking.com.

Here is their website: http://www.hotelrealcolegiata.es/en/hotel

Hotel Paris. Well located on the Way and near the cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Leon is always booked out on Saturday night. Try to avoid the larger city/towns on a weekend anywhere on the Camino.

I also can put a plug in for Hotel Paris. They have a pool/spa that is included in your stay (or at least it was). The pool has water stations that have a strong water flow to use as a massage. I believe that the water massage I received on my feet changed my Camino. I was able to walk on after a rest and the water "massage." Buen Camino.

My son and I flew into Madrid last March, and then took the train to Leon. We stayed at a the Hotel Real Colegiata, right next to San Isodoro's. It's right on the camino. They also have a great restaurant. http://www.hotelrealcolegiata.es/en/hotel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm another one, along with Ahhhs and coldweather, with a vote for Hotel Paris. I stayed there for two nights in 2012 and it was great. My room had a bath so I had a luxurious soak for ages in it! I'm back there for two nights in August.
When in Leon, at the square where the Cathedral is, you will find on one of the corners the BEST café which has deliciously rich hot chocolate - the café advertises that it has the best hot chocolate in Leon - and yes, it does!!! Substitute lunch for one of the hot chocolates and a pastry and you'll have energy to spare for the rest of the day!
Cheers - Jenny

I have stayed at
Hospederia Monastica Pax twice. You can request hotel room or ask for a twin pilgrim room there are only a few. Less hotel like and very comfortable . There may be noise as you front onto main square. Recommended if you want to get into camino mind set . If seeking time out and guaranteed jet lag recovery opt for hotel section.
you are right next door to here - The Nuns’ Hostel, a.k.a. Albergue del Monasterio des las Benedictinas, or Santa Maria de Carbajal (Plaza Santa María del Camino).

I've stayed at Hotel Paris once. It's best characteristic is its fantastic location.

The parador doesn't have such a good location, as it is a ways away from the old city and the cathedral, and I haven't stayed there.

My last few times through Leon I have stayed at the Hotel Sercotel Alfonso V. http://en.hotelalfonsov.com/

Not as great a location as Paris but I think a nicer room. You are still just a 5 minute walk to the cathedral. I also like looking over the roundabout from my window. You can also watch the peregrinos walk along the path to determine the right route to take on your first steps (it overlooks the way).

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Damien,
I stayed at the Parador last year - it was nice, but not in my budget this year. And thanks everyone for the tips. I've booked Don Suero, and now starting to get in shape for the hill climb to O Cebriero ...

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.