• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porridge

Time of past OR future Camino
please see signature
I am highly addicted to my porridge. Every morning. On days I go out training I microwave some rolled oats in my collapsible mug and have at my first stop. I have about 400 grams of rolled oats in my pack, enough for about 20 days, to take with me to my start point of Le Puy.

@SYates and @Kanga and others, very properly, remind us all that Spain is a civilised country and has tienda in every town.

Now, here's the question.

Once my stash of rolled oats has run out, (where) will I be able to replenish?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes. Look for "copos de avena" in any grocery store. It's your standard rolled oats.

In France the nearest thing available to rolled oats is Quaker Oats. This is what I use when I run out of porridge when traveling in France. Not as nice as our own stuff but it does the job.

This is good to know. I too love my porridge (especially with brownies broken up into it) and was wondering whether or not to take some with me in September. I will be now.:)

This is good to know. I too love my porridge (especially with brownies broken up into it) and was wondering whether or not to take some with me in September. I will be now.:)
Now that is something I will have to try!

I'm wondering if the "cook in the thermos" method would work? Half a cup of rolled oats into the thermos flask, a pinch of salt (I have Scottish ancestry), pour in half a cup of boiling water, seal, open in an hour and see if it is done. Anyone tried it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm wondering if the "cook in the thermos" method would work? Half a cup of rolled oats into the thermos flask, a pinch of salt (I have Scottish ancestry), pour in half a cup of boiling water, seal, open in an hour and see if it is done. Anyone tried it?
That should work if you are using Quick Oat Meal, may work the rolled oats.. I prefer Steel Cut/Irish Oat Meal with brown sugar and milk :). Nice and chewy. It takes 30 minutes of simmer time to cook. How do you get it out of the thermos?o_O

I've not tried it @Urban Trekker but it is supposed to work with rice (provided you leave it all day) so it should be easier with oats. I can't see me carting the weight of a thermos because, when in Spain, I like a cafe con leche and cake (or a media luna) for breakfast.....

I always wondered why avena is not served in albergues for breakfast. Costs very little and has lasting power. Can't be more expensive than those horrible magdalenas and stale bred. Avena and hard boiled eggs, please. Something San Anton can offer since all they require is boiling water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Kanga, Have you tried "cook-in-the-bowl"? Raw oatmeal, soya milk, yoghurt, fruit. I suppose it's called muesli or some such. CHEWY all right! I pretend I'm a barnyard animal. As usual. - Mike

Yes, I actually (when at home) like home made bircher muesli, which is raw oatmeal mixed with an assortment of nuts, coconut chips and dried fruit, soaked overnight in milk (in the fridge). Then in the morning I add fresh grated apple and stir. Yum!

That should work if you are using Quick Oat Meal, may work the rolled oats.. I prefer Steel Cut/Irish Oat Meal with brown sugar and milk :). Nice and chewy. It takes 30 minutes of simmer time to cook. How do you get it out of the thermos?o_O

McCann's has a quick soak method of cooking their oatmeal.
http://www.mccanns.ie/preparation.html

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In most sizeable towns in Spain, they have health food stores and, as well, I have seen health food sections in the larger mercados, so you should have no trouble in getting supplies. While you need to think of the weight in your pack, there are some very good thermosy-containers which can cook your oats with hot water.

The idea of walking the Camino with a sack of oats brought to mind accounts of young 18c and 19c Scottish scholars being sent off to university with a huge sack of oats to get them through term. Perhaps a group of Scottish pilgrims could be prevailed upon to supply oat caches along the Camino???

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes. Look for "copos de avena" in any grocery store. It's your standard rolled oats.

Rebekah, thank you.

In France the nearest thing available to rolled oats is Quaker Oats. This is what I use when I run out of porridge when traveling in France. Not as nice as our own stuff but it does the job.

Wayfarer, thank you and agreed.

My father (born in Edinburgh) soaked oatmeal overnight and it had to be stirred constantly while simmering else it went into a lumpy mess. Your 30 minutes bring back unhappy memories, when I was stirring, of lumpiness being the result.

Rolled oats on the other hand is a much simpler proposition. Add an adequacy of boiled water and let stand for as long as it takes to do other chores: this minimises "boil over" when cooking. Stir once. Microwave on high for 60-80 seconds. Let it stand for as long it takes to do other chores/sleep and heat again if too liquid. Or just go for it on high for about 3 minutes, but keep watching for boil over.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My father (born in Edinburgh) soaked oatmeal overnight
My mother (also born in Edinburgh) used the same method.

I believe that the original Bircher Muesli recipe also required the overnight soaking method. Not this modern, no overnight soaking, masochistic tooth grinding/eroding jaw tiring method.

I, occasionally, mix raw oats with yoghurt and fruit and leave in the 'fridge overnight. Topped in the morning with a self-indulgent spoonful or two of raw brown sugar is delicious.

The idea of walking the Camino with a sack of oats brought to mind accounts of young 18c and 19c Scottish scholars being sent off to university with a huge sack of oats to get them through term.

When going to university, at the beginning of each term, my Scottish mother would send me off with a package of goodies to sustain me. This equivalent of the "sack of oats" was known as a "mealie poke" i.e. "mealie" = oatmeal, "poke" = sack (as in "don't buy a pig in a poke" = don't buy things unseen which advice applies now to some internet purchases!!)

Works really well but I leave it over night!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My breakfast here at home every morning consists of 3/4 cup raw oats, some plain yogurt, some milk, a banana, 1/2 an apple and a mix of blueberries and strawberries. Dump in blender and blend for a couple of minutes or so until smooth.
I love it and it gives me energy all morning. Alas, not practical for me to prepare on the Camino. I make do when I can and take up the slack with lots of fruit in the morning.

My breakfast here at home every morning consists of 3/4 cup raw oats, some plain yogurt, some milk, a banana, 1/2 an apple and a mix of blueberries and strawberries. Dump in blender and blend for a couple of minutes or so until smooth.
I love it and it gives me energy all morning. Alas, not practical for me to prepare on the Camino. I make do when I can and take up the slack with lots of fruit in the morning.

Love it!!
That would be my dream Camino brekkie (minus the blending :))........

It will even work with the old fashioned oats!

Anyone else like to cook their porridge in milk instead of water??

We managed to frequently buy yoghurt and oats (or else ready-made muesli) and fruit for a very nutritious slow-release energy start to our days. We might have been last out of the albergue, but we were not hungry!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Will be trying this tomorrow!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Growing up Irish and in turn punishing my children with such gruel ...I can see no reason to take it on vacation. As they say "When in Rome" or in this case "when in Spain". I allow myself to count on a daily cup of tea but rolled oats really has no nutrional value. Well worth its weight on my back anyways...wait, microwave?

Last edited:
Growing up Irish and in turn punishing my children with such gruel ...I can see no reason to take it on vacation. As they say "When in Rome" or in this case "when in Spain". I allow myself to count on a daily cup of tea but rolled oats really has no nutrional value. Well worth its weight on my back anyways...wait, microwave?
13 grams of protein per 100 grams. I call that nutritional value. The equivalent of 2 eggs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not to mention the soluble fibre!!
Excellent for lowering bad cholesterol so I'm told.. :cool::)

I know this is an old thread but how amazing to see so many responses. I make overnight oats almost everyday and it's so easy that I thought of doing the same on my 1st CF. (Partly saving money and also I cannot imagine tostadas every morning appealing - sorry)

Mine is recipe is pretty boring... rolled oats, boiling water, some ground cinnamon, honey and left overnight. Next morning top with some cut apples or blueberries and if possible yoghurt or milk (soy in my case).

Thank you for all the valuable answers and suggestions.

I know this is an old thread but how amazing to see so many responses. I make overnight oats almost everyday and it's so easy that I thought of doing the same on my 1st CF. (Partly saving money and also I cannot imagine tostadas every morning appealing - sorry)

Mine is recipe is pretty boring... rolled oats, boiling water, some ground cinnamon, honey and left overnight. Next morning top with some cut apples or blueberries and if possible yoghurt or milk (soy in my case).

Thank you for all the valuable answers and suggestions.
Works every time. And I put a plate over the bowl once I've added the boiling water. Keeps the heat in thus increasing the "cooking" time. Haven't tried this with quick cook oats but imagine it would work within 15 minutes and result in porridge that was still warm.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.