• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving soon for Camino Vasco del Interior

evanlow

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
After 11 Caminos, want to Ruta de la Lana next...
I will be starting my Camino Vasco 4th May if nothing goes wrong. This would be a fitting 10 year anniversary walk since my first Camino in 2006, which aptly ends on the Camino Frances. Will take the route to the chicken church (Sto Domingo de la Calzada) since I didn't stay there the last time rather than Burgos (too crowded for me).

As I have always been blogging whenever I walk a Camino, the blog link (below under my signatory) will be active again next week for those who wants to follow the journey. The blog is my way of writing a journal at the end of each day.

I have gotten the basic information, guide, albergues, etc.

Personally, I am looking forward to see the cathedral in Vitoria after reading that it is the inspiration for Ken Follett's novel Pillars of the earth (one of my fav books).

So is there any particular other interesting highlights or notables from those who had walked the Tunnel Route?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be starting my Camino Vasco 4th May if nothing goes wrong. This would be a fitting 10 year anniversary walk since my first Camino in 2006, which aptly ends on the Camino Frances. Will take the route to the chicken church (Sto Domingo de la Calzada) since I didn't stay there the last time rather than Burgos (too crowded for me).

As I have always been blogging whenever I walk a Camino, the blog link (below under my signatory) will be active again next week for those who wants to follow the journey. The blog is my way of writing a journal at the end of each day.

Personally, I am looking forward to see the cathedral in Vitoria after reading that it is the inspiration for Ken Follett's novel Pillars of the earth (one of my fav books).

So is there any particular other interesting highlights or notables from those who had walked the Tunnel Route?
I will definitely follow your blog because I'm starting from Bayonne to Burgos on May 18th. Can't wait to be on the way again.

Wish you Buen Camino!

PS (Seems like we have chosen same Caminos for the second year in a row :))

Cool. I am actually walking with another peregrino I met in '08 on the via de la plata who has a retirement home in the south of Spain. There are two Decathlon Rockrider bicycles at his place so there may be a chance I may also do a bike camino on the Camino Mozarabe following this Camino. Fingers crossed since I am still exploring the logistics of it as there is no panniers, etc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hello Evan
Posts about the Vasco Interior are noticeably thin on the ground as you've probably noticed. I too am leaving Irun on 4 May and will have travelled from London the day before. I'm staying in hendaye that night and plan to stay at th,e albergue in Santiagomendi the 4th which I am told is not booked out for a group as it often is. One does have to call if you want it opened up the number is 610849345 (Spanish mobile) and the hospitalero is called Begonia. No food or anything but there is a kitchen. There's a bar about 1k away and a Michelin star restaurant with a 25 course tasting menu about 2k away can you believe. It did occur to me to give a call and ask do they do a menu peregrino!
I'm sure we will meet up somewhere that first day - probably getting our sello. All the best Peter

Hi Peter,

I figured this would be a quiet route. I found out about this route in 2012 while walking the Norte. A couple in the albergue in Irun were doing it while the rest if us were walking the Norte. Didn't know we can book the albergue.

I will be meet another pilgrim in Madrid a day earlier before heading to Irun. Looks like the 5th before we start. Still you never know, we can still bump into each other.

Not so quiet anymore. :)

Hi Peter,

Looks like we didn't get to meet up. We done ours in the standard 8 days stages.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great blog, Evan, lots of good information for people considering this route. I totally forgot to check it while you were walking, but your pictures have definitely whet my appetite for the Camino Vasco. I wonder if anyone has taken the Burgos alternative, did you know anything about that, Evan? Seems like you would get a few more days before the Frances and its crowds, so that in an of itself would be an advantage.

Enjoy your time in Andalucia, Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie,

The break off point to Burgos is before Haro and I didn't see the separation arrows. Still feels that Sto Domingo de la Calzada is a better ending.

We were lucky to be there on the Sto. Doming day (May 12th). If you plan to walk in spring that would be a good day to arrive in the town.

Forgot to mention. The blog will be coming alive again tomorrow. I will be cycling from Mollina to Cordoba (Day 0) tomorrow and from there the Camino Mozarabe to Merida. It's going to be a short one as I don't have much time. Including Day 0 probably only 4-5 days. Will be different experience moving three times distance than walking.

Thanks Laurie,

The break off point to Burgos is before Haro and I didn't see the separation arrows. Still feels that Sto Domingo de la Calzada is a better ending.

We were lucky to be there on the Sto. Doming day (May 12th). If you plan to walk in spring that would be a good day to arrive in the town.

Forgot to mention. The blog will be coming alive again tomorrow. I will be cycling from Mollina to Cordoba (Day 0) tomorrow and from there the Camino Mozarabe to Merida. It's going to be a short one as I don't have much time. Including Day 0 probably only 4-5 days. Will be different experience moving three times distance than walking.

Lucky you! The Mozarabe is another one on my long long list. How great to be able to have such a contrast -- north vs. south, walk vs. bike, and maybe cool vs. heat. Buen camino, Evan!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wonder if anyone has taken the Burgos alternative

@KinkyOne plans to make it this year so wait for his report or even better, ask him about it once he walked it. ;)

Seems like you would get a few more days before the Frances and its crowds, so that in an of itself would be an advantage.

If you want to avoid the crowds of the Francés, you could walk the Burgos branch (aka Vía de Bayona) till Miranda de Ebro continuing from Miranda de Ebro onwards on the Pamplona branch of the Olvidado...

Just in case, having read the comments above, anyone is concerned about missing the point at which the routes diverge -
I think that unless the signage has changed since last year, Evan must have been deep in conversation, as there were several signs including this one at the actual point of divergence. As you can see, it's actually easier to go to Burgos by mistake than Sto Domingo! cheers, tom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/20132357639/in/album-72157654492550364/

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I have just been speaking with Javier this morning. Very kind and helpful hospitalero. He showed me the albergue and we chatted for a while. As I just said, it's just opened from 11th march until...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back