• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - three phases?

Malcolm

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone. You've probably all heard (or maybe experienced) the division of the Camino Frances into three "phases": the physical (from the Pyrenees); the mental/emotional (the meseta); and the spiritual (Galicia). Just wondering if people have a similar experience of the Camino Portugues, or if it is unique to the Frances? Or if this is true of any walk beyond a certain distance, or even if the whole thing is a myth?! No right or wrong answers, obviously, but I'd love to hear any thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can't say that I have ever experienced the three stage division you describe. I do find there is a point usually around day 4 or 5 when my body has adjusted to the physical demands of walking and I have more time and energy free to observe and reflect. I do not know how one would draw any distinction between your categories of mental/emotional and spiritual. I have never experienced the ordered progression your post describes. Far less predictable.

I have experienced it on the Frances, it could be that I fitted experiences into a superstitious pattern with no basis in reality, but the experiences were so clear and definite that I am willing to believe it. Something similar happened on the Norte but less marked, less clear so it could be just me wishing for a pattern.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lisbon to Porto: the warm part
Porto to Valença: the part where you drink too much wine
Valencia to Santiago: the part where it rains every day and you eat a kilo of pork for lunch.

;)

Hi everyone. You've probably all heard (or maybe experienced) the division of the Camino Frances into three "phases": the physical (from the Pyrenees); the mental/emotional (the meseta); and the spiritual (Galicia). Just wondering if people have a similar experience of the Camino Portugues, or if it is unique to the Frances? Or if this is true of any walk beyond a certain distance, or even if the whole thing is a myth?! No right or wrong answers, obviously, but I'd love to hear any thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

While the French way is a masculine way the sun's path, the Portuguese way is a feminine way, path of the moon. More spiritual. (Vitor Adrião)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
first hunch: leave those division ideas behind and give the camino a chance to unfold on it's own terms, so to speak.
the physical / emotional / spiritual parts of you will be with you all along and won't separate out. there is no division, except the ones we create. though i might add that in the first week my body clearly had some adjusting to do. but my emotional/spirit part i did not leave by the wayside then.

your asking this question is marvelous -
it might be exactly what your experience will be, it might be entirely different. who's do know? except you in the moment of experience, and not beforehand.

"don't push the river ,darling" (as my landlady used to say) - live life as it is, presents itself to you...
bom caminho -

... Or if this is true of any walk beyond a certain distance, or even if the whole thing is a myth?! ...

On any walk your body has some adjusting to do during the first few days or longer. At the same time your mind also has to adjust to the new situation. So, no, in my experience there is no neat separation in neat phases, everything can happen at ones and sometimes nothing happens and sometimes something happens :cool:

Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I certainly experienced those 3 phases on my first Camino but it had nothing to do with the geography! I think it comes about from 'time on the road'...

Phase 3 was well under way 2 weeks from St Jean.

Not sure Galicia is the the place for the spiritual phase though. The crowds make that tricky :oops: I'm there now. Just enjoying a pleasant walk.... nothing more sadly...

we're thinking of the CP next so will be keen to hear thoughts from those who have walked it....

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back