• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Spanish SIM card availability on Camino Frances?

Roger Deee

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016
I am starting the Camino Frances next month starting in SJPDP.
I will not to have the opportunity to purchase a Spanish SIM cards until I enter Spain, pre purchasing on online is possible but shipping it to Australia is extremely expensive.
I am interested to know exactly where is the first possible place to purchased the SIM card.
Someone out there must have gone thru to same situation and can tell me where I can buy one. I don't want to be walking around towns looking for shops, so an exact location would be much appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Which way are you going Roger? Through Madrid, or Paris?

actually, Frankfurt -> Lyon -> Biarritz -> SJPDP,,
sounds a strange way but there is a good reason for this

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Then I think the first place to get a Spanish sim card is Pamplona, and you will pass plenty of shops selling sim cards on the Camino route through the outskirts and in the main town (after you pass the wonderful gate in the city walls). If you have any trouble ask someone for directions to El Cortes Ingles, the big department store, they sell most major brands. I bought an Orange prepaid last time.

I don't think any of the villages before Pamplona will have sim cards, although the garage in Zubriri might have some.

SJPDP is no good because it only has French sim cards. There was talk of a Europe wide sim, but I think it is only on a contract and not prepaid. BTW you will need a Spanish address (as well as your passport for ID) - I used my hotel address and that was fine.

And buen camino! I'm heading off from Sydney on 10th May.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
and buen Camino too, I'm heading off 20th May from Melbourne, start walking 23rd may.
Looking forward to it!!

Last year I stopped at Vodafone in Burlada. It was on the main street walking towards Pamplona. They were great - spoke English and were helping lots of pilgrims get a SIM card. My phone didn't work with their internet and they took the time to find the codes, and enter them into my phone so it would work with their system. The exact address is: Calle Mayor, 29, 31600 Burlada, Navarra, Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
fantastic, this is exactly the info I was hoping for, thanks for this now I can go directly there and not aimlessly wander around.
Also Vodafone is my preferred carrier.
Thanks for you assistance

fantastic, this is exactly the info I was hoping for, thanks for this now I can go directly there and not aimlessly wander around.
Also Vodafone is my preferred carrier.
Thanks for you assistance
I found Vodafone v expensive, and in fact the Vodafone shop assistant sent me down the road to get a Lebara SIM. Fantastic. Worked everywhere and lasted from Estella, where I bought it until I went home 4 weeks later. 20 Euros. Most mobile phone shops sell them.

€83,-
I am starting the Camino Frances next month starting in SJPDP.
I will not to have the opportunity to purchase a Spanish SIM cards until I enter Spain, pre purchasing on online is possible but shipping it to Australia is extremely expensive.
I am interested to know exactly where is the first possible place to purchased the SIM card.
Someone out there must have gone thru to same situation and can tell me where I can buy one. I don't want to be walking around towns looking for shops, so an exact location would be much appreciated.

Hi Roger
Confirm there is an Orange Espana shop in Pamplona in the city centre. I bought a data only sim (iPad mini) in Oct last year. They were excellent, installed & set it up etc in about 30 minutes. It makes you appreciate how insanely expensive telecom services are in Australia. From memory 2GB data for 10 or 15 euro. Used it for Viber calls (local & int) navigation, email, media etc when out of wireless or in slow wireless range. I can't recall anywhere on the Camino where there was no 3G reception & 99% of bars & albergues have free wireless access (though sometimes not too flash). Buen Camino, Greg

€83,-
... BTW you will need a Spanish address (as well as your passport for ID) - I used my hotel address and that was fine.

Last two times when I bought a Spanish SIM the shops simply used their own shop address to register the SIM. I am still wondering how many pilgrims 'live' in that shop :D
Buen Camino, SY

I found Vodafone inexpensive - they still have a 15 euro plan for visitors. It covers 60 minutes of calls - including international and 1.5 gb data for one month.

When I bought my first Spanish SIM card in 2013, I bought Moviestar and it had excellent coverage on the entire CF. My husband says Vodaphone seems to be the most favored in Spain, but I wonder about specific coverage on the CF. Have people used Vodaphone on the CF with good coverage?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all, I am so grateful for this forum as I've Ben trying to work out the same questions regarding SIM cards. I am in Paris & heading off to St Jean de Pied today. So, this information is helpful. Do any of you bother about getting 2 cards? One for evphone & the other for the iPad
buen Camino one & all

Can recommend Orange Shop in Pamplona New Town. The shop staff speak excellent English and got more than enough GBytes for EUR 20

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.