• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have a question about carrying my backpack on the plane.

mockjf

Time of past OR future Camino
August, 2016
I will be walking the Camino in August/September. I will leave from Dulles and am wondering if it is possible to take my backpack and poles as carry on luggage? Please give me any pointers about this as I would really like to have my backpack and poles with me. Thanks Jerry

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hallo!!! Well your backpack you can take it for sure but the poles i dont think so......you have to check with your Airlines....but i have been twice on the camino and i had to give the poles.
Buen Camino!!!!

On one of my trips, it was o.k. to carry the pack and my one pole on board as long as the pole had a rubber tip. The pole was going to be strapped onto the outside of my pack and under the rain cover. Seemed like a strange level of security.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2015 I packed my poles in my backpack and there was no issue. I flew on three different airlines and passed through security four times. My flight was from Toronto to Brussels to Madrid and return from Lisbon to Brussels to Toronto. My poles were apart to allow them to fit but securely inside my very compressed backpack.
Buen Camino

In short, some international airlines will allow poles onboard, some will not.
You run the risk of having them confiscated.
Consider packaging them in a tube with other articles like knives etc, and having them accompanying you in the hold.
Your backpack should be within the prescibed limits. Usually 7 kilos max, and 55cm in height.
Regards
Gerard

I have, many times, explained in this Forum that trying to carry hiking poles onboard any commercial airliner is a gamble. The tungsten steel tips on these poles automatically make them a stabbing weapon. This is something flight attendants fear, and which most security screening organizations forbid, for obvious and good reason.

That said, I will neither argue nor debate the anecdotal stories of one pilgrim or another, who claims to have taken their poles onboard an airliner. They are stories. They may or may not be totally correct. I will not go there,

What I do know is that, as someone who has survived flying over one million actual seat miles globally, I DO NOT WANT YOUR STEEL-TIPPED POLES IN MY CABIN. If I see them passing through security, I WILL speak up. You will lose your poles. I do not care. My safety trumps your convenience every time.

Aviation security is not a joke or a game. It is a matter of life and death, and it is incumbent on all of us to not cut corners, and if we see something, to say something.

My often used and always successful method for transporting my loaded 48 liter rucksack, with all sharp objects in the waist belt pockets, and poles with rubber tips, either attached to the outside or slid inside, is to place the entire assembly into s brightly colored nylon laundry bag.

The bag is secured with a DESTINATION address tag for where I expect, and have reservations, to sleep the first night fastened to the tied pull string. The bright color ensures that my bag is unique and easily identified. The destination tag helps ensure that, if separated, my bag will find me, instead of being returned to my point of origin -home, totally counter-productive.

On arrival, in the secure baggage area, I remove my rucksack from the laundry sack. The laundry bag is folded and stuffed into a rucksack pocket. It will be used as a laundry bag, rucksack liner, and for the return journey. I shoulder my rucksack, and we are off.

The only things that do not travel in my checked rucksack are my identity papers, all valuables, electronics, and prescription medications. Everything is replaceable except for these items. It works out to about six liters in total volume for me. I must carry far more medications than most pilgrims.

When I process my rucksack, still in the secure baggage area, I move these items from the 20-liter sil-nylon daypack I use as my carry-on bag. The day pack then rides in its hockey-puck-sized nylon carry bag attached to my underarm rucksack strap, right side.

This method WORKS. I use it regularly, including on my last three Caminos. I am sitting in Plaza Quintana right now, enjoying a Cerveza while listening to "the Jazz Man of Santiago." This guy is a great guitar player, and almost worth the cost and effort just to get here to listen to him. If you've been, you know what I mean.

I hope this helps. We really need to put this issue to rest. I sense far too many folks are trying to game the system. Well, you are playing with MY LIFE.

So, I take your considered evasion of aviation security as a threat to my personal safety. Thus, this is personal.

I advocate that the "official position" of the Forum should be to NOT try to subvert aviation security, and to ALWAYS check your loaded rucksack, poles, and all sharp objects that could conceivably be weaponized. This cat and mouse game needs to STOP!

Sorry, had to vent. We will now return to normal programming...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be walking the Camino in August/September. I will leave from Dulles and am wondering if it is possible to take my backpack and poles as carry on luggage? Please give me any pointers about this as I would really like to have my backpack and poles with me. Thanks Jerry

Few days ago I bought some Black Diamond poles for the Camino. They are made of carbon and when folded they are only 45 cm. long and fit very nicely inside my backpack. And they weigh only 340 g each.
Yesterday I flew from Oslo to Copenhagen, bringing the poles and backpack into the cabin. There were no question asked in the security or in the plane.
So I hope Madrid airport and Santiago airport have no problems with that too,
when I go there next month.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In short, some international airlines will allow poles onboard, some will not.
You run the risk of having them confiscated.
Consider packaging them in a tube with other articles like knives etc, and having them accompanying you in the hold.
Your backpack should be within the prescibed limits. Usually 7 kilos max, and 55cm in height.
Regards
Gerard
Though I applaud t2andreo and his rant about our safety, all quite valid, I do see the third way that Gerard discusses: Make a simple shipping tube for your pools and sharps to be checked baggage and carry on your backpack. I've lost or had checked baggage delayed too many times to let my gear go from my possesion, save for those unsafe items, which I understand.

Buen (safe) Camino!

I have, many times, explained in this Forum that trying to carry hiking poles onboard any commercial airliner is a gamble. The tungsten steel tips on these poles automatically make them a stabbing weapon. This is something flight attendants fear, and which most security screening organizations forbid, for obvious and good reason.

That said, I will neither argue nor debate the anecdotal stories of one pilgrim or another, who claims to have taken their poles onboard an airliner. They are stories. They may or may not be totally correct. I will not go there,

What I do know is that, as someone who has survived flying over one million actual seat miles globally, I DO NOT WANT YOUR STEEL-TIPPED POLES IN MY CABIN. If I see them passing through security, I WILL speak up. You will lose your poles. I do not care. My safety trumps your convenience every time.

Aviation security is not a joke or a game. It is a matter of life and death, and it is incumbent on all of us to not cut corners, and if we see something, to say something.

My often used and always successful method for transporting my loaded 48 liter rucksack, with all sharp objects in the waist belt pockets, and poles with rubber tips, either attached to the outside or slid inside, is to place the entire assembly into s brightly colored nylon laundry bag.

The bag is secured with a DESTINATION address tag for where I expect, and have reservations, to sleep the first night fastened to the tied pull string. The bright color ensures that my bag is unique and easily identified. The destination tag helps ensure that, if separated, my bag will find me, instead of being returned to my point of origin -home, totally counter-productive.

On arrival, in the secure baggage area, I remove my rucksack from the laundry sack. The laundry bag is folded and stuffed into a rucksack pocket. It will be used as a laundry bag, rucksack liner, and for the return journey. I shoulder my rucksack, and we are off.

The only things that do not travel in my checked rucksack are my identity papers, all valuables, electronics, and prescription medications. Everything is replaceable except for these items. It works out to about six liters in total volume for me. I must carry far more medications than most pilgrims.

When I process my rucksack, still in the secure baggage area, I move these items from the 20-liter sil-nylon daypack I use as my carry-on bag. The day pack then rides in its hockey-puck-sized nylon carry bag attached to my underarm rucksack strap, right side.

This method WORKS. I use it regularly, including on my last three Caminos. I am sitting in Plaza Quintana right now, enjoying a Cerveza while listening to "the Jazz Man of Santiago." This guy is a great guitar player, and almost worth the cost and effort just to get here to listen to him. If you've been, you know what I mean.

I hope this helps. We really need to put this issue to rest. I sense far too many folks are trying to game the system. Well, you are playing with MY LIFE.

So, I take your considered evasion of aviation security as a threat to my personal safety. Thus, this is personal.

I advocate that the "official position" of the Forum should be to NOT try to subvert aviation security, and to ALWAYS check your loaded rucksack, poles, and all sharp objects that could conceivably be weaponized. This cat and mouse game needs to STOP!

Well, what about people trained in killing with their bare hands or people trained in karate and so on.????
I find that more scaring than some poles and who knows who the other passangers are.? One will never know.

I use a wooden staff with a rubber tip, rather than metal poles. I carry this with me whenever I walk outside of my home city, and within it if I need it for safety with snow on the paths or an arthritis flareup. So far, this has always been accepted at airport security. It is one reason why I will not fly out of Santiago, where I understand that any sort of support is forbidden. I will not check my backpack if there is any reasonable way around doing so. Two years ago, my backpack was left behind by the airline in Vancouver on a flight to New Zealand for a five week holiday, with two tramping excursions. I was unable to claim it for a month, as two days in Auckland were not adequate for it to be delivered to where I was staying and I then had to leave for booked and prepaid excursions. Yes, safety comes first, but the loss of one's gear can seriously inconvenience a major excursion. And there is really no way to guarantee that this will not happen. As Tom says, take documents, money, electronics and medicines with you on the plane. It is best to use your walking stick, if you need it, when approaching security, and let them decide whether to confiscate it or let you proceed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I packed all in my backpack and did carry on for that (50 l Osprey that I strapped tight so it didn't look that big.
However my poles and pocket knife I wrapped in some bubble wrap and packing tape and put it in a bag that is a folding sports chair cover. My poles were folded so I could make the bag shorter by simply putting a knot in the shoulder strap. I will add the picture. It worked great. I simply carried this light cover bad with me so I could use it a gain on my flight back. ps I have cheap $40 "pacemaker "poles that worked GREAT! ...(so NOT pacer). So if the bag doesn't arrive ....so be it and I will get new poles in SJPP or so.
th

Last edited:
Well, what about people trained in killing with their bare hands or people trained in karate and so on.????
I find that more scaring than some poles and who knows who the other passangers are.? One will never know.

People, at least people in the uniformed services, or law enforcement, who have this training are also the people who are least likely to use these skills gratuitously. They have the skills, but also the job judgement and emotional stability to know what to when to act. These are the people you WANT near you in a plane.

Early in my career I was so trained. Most of the skills stayed with me, even if I am "on the south side of 50."

The problem is less with someone seeking to bulldoze their way into a flight deck, than it is dealing with drunk or emotionally disturbed passengers doing stupid things, especially if something convenient, like a steel tipped walking stick, is in the overhead compartment.

Since the September 2001 terrorist attacks, passengers on aircraft worldwide have frequently and repeatedly taken matters into their own hands to subdue and restrain unruly passengers. The cabin crew appreciate this assistance, when called for.

Also, all cabin crew have received stepped up training on how to prevent, impede, and contain such threatening behavior since 2001. Using willing passengers is part of that strategy. Any one "karate kid" can easily be subdued in a confined airline cabin by a couple burly passengers.

If you do not believe me, try opening an emergency exit on your next flight...when you regain consciousness, tell us all about it...

It is also true that any number of innocuous, every day items that ARE flight-legal can readily be converted into serious weapons. Most people would be stunned. However, we will NOT discuss that here.

The entire point of my rant was to try and put an end to this incessant whining and conniving about how to bring something that is clearly not supposed to be in a airline passenger cabin, into that cabin. Where does it end?

Nope, I say put our collective, responsible foot down, for the sake of all who travel by air. This clearly applies to Csmino and non-Camino travel. But, then again, WE are supposed too set an example that others will seek to emulate.

I hope this helps the dialog.

Last edited:
Sorry, t2andreo but I strongly dispute your characterization of what I and others say as "trying to game the system." That is simply inaccurate.

Of course everyone should do what he or she feels best comports with security regulations, but I still have never heard anyone say "TSA prevented me from taking my poles on a plane in the US." I have done it multiple times, well over 20 now, with full TSA knowledge. If TSA sees my poles as they go through the machine and watches as I pick them up at the other end, how can this possibly be described as gaming the system?

I think it's safe to say that there are two main groups of opinion in the US on this topic, and you and I are in different groups. You think that hiking poles should not be carried on, even though TSA routinely allows them. I have no problem with that, you are entitled to your opinion and to wish that TSA rules were otherwise. The other group, of which I'm a member, is always prepared to defer if a TSA agent should decide that the poles should not go on, but sees nothing at all improper with taking them on in plain view with TSA's approval.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I packed all in my backpack and did carry on for that (50 l Osprey that I strapped tight so it didn't look that big.
However my poles and pocket knife I wrapped in some bubble wrap and packing tape and put it in a bag that is a folding sports chair cover. My poles were folded so I could make the bag shorter by simply putting a knot in the shoulder strap. I will add the picture. It worked great. I simply carried this light cover bad with me so I could use it a gain on my flight back. ps I have cheap $40 "pacemaker "poles that worked GREAT! ...(so NOT pacer). So if the bag doesn't arrive ....so be it and I will get new poles in SJPP or so.
th

Lets see ... the pole is useful for going down hill when tired ...

The chair I could sit in and rest when tired ...

Eeermmmm ... I think the chair is a much better idea than a pole.

And it can't be used as a weapon ... so it should be allowed as cabin baggage ...

I wonder if they'd get upset if you used one in the plane when the seating is too short for your knees?

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

You are the first person with any sense regarding security.

Its not the knitting needle that kills people ... its the person with a dangerous mind what kills people ... and he (or she) doesn't need a knitting needle (or whatever) to do it.

Israeli airport security is still laughing at us. 'Hiking poles?' I'm talking belly laugh.

Lets see ... the pole is useful for going down hill when tired ...

The chair I could sit in and rest when tired ...

Eeermmmm ... I think the chair is a much better idea than a pole.

And it can't be used as a weapon ... so it should be allowed as cabin baggage ...

I wonder if they'd get upset if you used one in the plane when the seating is too short for your knees?

:)
Well now...if I only indeed did bring that chair too !!!! It would come in handy now and then :) However I obviously just had the bag !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is inaccurate to say that "hiking poles" are prohibited by TSA. The rules state "ski poles" are prohibited - see link
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items
Security in other countries mention trekking poles, so the regulations are different. Although that did NOT prohibit me after checking with airport security at A Coruna airport. Santiago airport has tighter rules and I will mail them home to myself next trip.
My poles fold to 14" and are lightweight carbon, they DO NOT have steel tips - they would make very poor weapon, and really they can not be compared to Ski poles.
Janice

Gamble is the word. With security issues I'm choosing to buy poles in SJPP before starting. In 2013 I carried them on the whole way both there and back and flying out of Santiago. A gamble it is... I fly out tomorrow

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The entire point of my rant was to try and put an end to this incessant whining and conniving about how to bring something that is clearly not supposed to be in a airline passenger cabin, into that cabin. Where does it end?
Nope, I say put our collective, responsible foot down, for the sake of all who travel by air. This clearly applies to Csmino and non-Camino travel. But, then again, WE are supposed too set an example that others will seek to emulate.
I hope this helps the dialog.
I don't think that your rant helped the dialog at all. (Using your words.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My VERY limited experience, for what it's worth - Ryanair do NOT permit walking poles on board. Easyjet DO permit them.
If I have a choice, I fly Easyjet. Apart from walking poles, I HATE that fanfare every time you land with Ryanair! :mad:

Sorry, t2andreo but I strongly dispute your characterization of what I and others say as "trying to game the system." That is simply inaccurate.

Of course everyone should do what he or she feels best comports with security regulations, but I still have never heard anyone say "TSA prevented me from taking my poles on a plane in the US." I have done it multiple times, well over 20 now, with full TSA knowledge. If TSA sees my poles as they go through the machine and watches as I pick them up at the other end, how can this possibly be described as gaming the system?

I think it's safe to say that there are two main groups of opinion in the US on this topic, and you and I are in different groups. You think that hiking poles should not be carried on, even though TSA routinely allows them. I have no problem with that, you are entitled to your opinion and to wish that TSA rules were otherwise. The other group, of which I'm a member, is always prepared to defer if a TSA agent should decide that the poles should not go on, but sees nothing at all improper with taking them on in plain view with TSA's approval.

I will not disagree with what you say. I just strongly maintain that we as a group entity with some standing in the pilgrim community, should side with improving security, generally, instead of advocating or sharing methods for "end runs."

I now live in South Florida, and start my air travel from Palm Beach. They are SO used to seeing grey-haired people (like me) carrying all manner of "walking AIDS" that they rarely question anything, although I suspect a garden pitchfork might engender some suspicion...

However, anecdotal exceptions should not be the rule, practice, or official procedure. We, as responsible adults, should be advocating a rigid self-adherence to the formal rules, not reveling in "getting away" with something locally, on an ad hoc basis.

Notwithstanding this locality-based decision to permit elderly folks at my starting airport, on board with their various walking aids, I continue to err on the side of EXTREME caution and will always check my sharps, including walking sticks. You can do as your conscience dictates. But if I see it, I will speak up in objection.

I see that as my sworn duty, even in retirement. We are NEVER released from the formal oath of office we took on accepting our office. I consider it a sacred duty to protect you, even when you might do something "dumb,"

My entire point is that we should be acting responsibly and advocating that pilgrims check ALL of their "sharps," including tungsten-tipped walking sticks. I am uncomfortable with such items in the cabin under any circumstances.

BTW, while not specifically germane to the issue. I was physically AT the Pentagon Building in Arlington, Virginia, at 08:43 on the morning of 11 September 2001. You can piece this together. For me, this is a VERY personal issue. I lost friends, both in the building and in New York City on that day.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but to strongly advocate my, arguably ĂĽber conservative position. For that, I will not apologize. If my ranting and raving saves even one life, my life has purpose.

This may not "help" depending on your personal opinion, but this is my opinion. I paid for this capability with neatly 30 years of service defending EVERYONE'S right to have and share an opinion.

I will not denigrate, and I respect all opinions, even if I might disagree with them on practical, legal, or ethical grounds.

Y'all go in peace now...heah!

Last edited:
I am done with this thread, except to wish you all the blessings and protection of a kind and benevolent God. My God looks after all his "children" even when they do something inadvisable. It has gotten me this far in life.

Do as you wish. But, I cannot have this sort of behavior on my conscience, and will not participate further. Instead, I will pray you are protected from yourselves, and suffer no harm in your travels. I can do no more.

Blessings and Buen Camino to all!

So, according to a TSA official, trekking poles ARE allowed as carry on baggage. They are considered"walking aides" and fall into the same category as canes and crutches. Agents are not qualified to determine each passengers need and TSA is not interested in battling all the organizations that protect the rights of handicapped travelers by making a blanket ruling against poles. However, agents may exclude poles that have tips since they are not essential for walking - it is up to the agent's discretion, and apparently the majority of the time, they are allowed. The ideal would be to purchase poles with removable tips.

So, according to a TSA official, trekking poles ARE allowed as carry on baggage. They are considered"walking aides" and fall into the same category as canes and crutches. Agents are not qualified to determine each passengers need and TSA is not interested in battling all the organizations that protect the rights of handicapped travelers by making a blanket ruling against poles. However, agents may exclude poles that have tips since they are not essential for walking - it is up to the agent's discretion, and apparently the majority of the time, they are allowed. The ideal would be to purchase poles with removable tips.

The ideal would be to not try to force the rules in your favor if you clearly do not need walking aids to board the plane. All that happens when you do that is you make life harder for those who genuinely need the walking aids.

What TSA official has stated trekking poles are allowed as carry on baggage?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My VERY limited experience, for what it's worth - Ryanair do NOT permit walking poles on board. Easyjet DO permit them.
If I have a choice, I fly Easyjet. Apart from walking poles, I HATE that fanfare every time you land with Ryanair! :mad:
I'm afraid even easyJet don't allow them in cabin baggage any more. Their website lists "ski and walking/hiking pole and crampons" as prohibited in the cabin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
t2andreo - OUCH! "Game the system?" "A threat to your personal safety?" Seriously?????

1. I know many, many peregrinos who have taken their TREKKING poles (NOT ski poles) as carry-on, nary a problem.
- Break them down
- Rubber tip them
- HAVE A NOTE FROM YOUR DOCTOR REQUIRING YOUR MOBILITY DEVICES
- Put them in a carry sack
- Wrap the carry sack in a velcro strap

2. I think the two most important bastones pilgrims should carry are kindness and compassion.

I am not threatened by trekking poles on an airplane.
I am very threatened by ranting passengers who do not carry kindness and compassion with them.

Buen Camino, y vaya con dios...

Tom. Well said. No apology necessary. Now lets get back to crucial questions like whether Gopher Wood or Joshua Tree is more authentic for a pilgrim staff.

Tincatinker, I don't think I've ever thanked you for your consistent injection of humor when the tenor of conversation becomes ranting or over-heated.
You are a much appreciated Compeed on the feet of this great forum!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I am offended!

Peregina2000 and I have consistently agreed on this point.
I have carried my poles on for many years. They are not hidden or disguised in any way. They are in my pack with rubber tips on them.
I have always been prepared to have to check them if requested....but never, never have even been looked at by the TSA agents.
There is a TSA agent who is a Pilgrim that posts on the American Pilgrim Facebook page. He advises that he carries his poles on each time. He also says that the agents he works with agree that they are not prohibited and pass theem without question.

I am personally offended (as I know Laurie is also) by the accusation that we are doing anything dangerous, "gaming the system" or in any way doing anything illegal. There is no possible way that a pilgrims walking poles in their pack is a security danger to anyone on any airplane.
The tip on a walking pole is simply not sharp like a ski pole.

The fact is that up until now the TSA has consistently allowed poles to be carried in the cabin. No one has posted that they have been turned down (USA) in any of the many threads on this subject.
It is not believeable that the poles are not allowed in the face of this evidence. Thus...no one is "sneaking" the poles on board.

Maybe worth pointing out here that sometimes your luggage will not arrive when you do - happened this year on a hiking holiday/tramping holiday to New Zealand (also some years ago while walking the GR10 in France/Spain).
The further away you are from home the worse the inconvenience ( In Europe I can just pop back to the UK in a couple of hours and reschedule everything in the worse case). So I suggest that any one doing a long distance walk and are flying long distance with tents and bags etc. should build a couple of slack days into their schedule before starting off.

Maybe worth pointing out here that sometimes your luggage will not arrive when you do - happened this year on a hiking holiday/tramping holiday to New Zealand (also some years ago while walking the GR10 in France/Spain).
The further away you are from home the worse the inconvenience ( In Europe I can just pop back to the UK in a couple of hours and reschedule everything in the worse case). So I suggest that any one doing a long distance walk and are flying long distance with tents and bags etc. should build a couple of slack days into their schedule before starting off.
Patch,
Even this may not work. I had two days in Auckland before departing on booked excursions, but it turned out that Air New Zealand did not have a flight from Canada the next day, and by the day after that I had to be on my way and I did not, in any case, know whether my luggage would show up, then or ever. I bought a few things and borrowed all my tramping gear, except for boots, from the family members with whom I was staying. Then I took off on my travels and did not get my luggage until I was back in Auckland a month later. This suggests the wisdom of having your essentials always with you, in your carry-on or on your body.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Albertagirl,
You are right in pointing this out
It was 2 weeks before I was reunited with baggage in NZ. I had to hire and buy and luckily I do carry essentials as hand luggage. But my carrier Virgin Australia were useless and even now they are arguing about the level of compensation - I kept my expenditure to the minimum as well.

I am offended!

Peregina2000 and I have consistently agreed on this point.
I have carried my poles on for many years. They are not hidden or disguised in any way. They are in my pack with rubber tips on them.
I have always been prepared to have to check them if requested....but never, never have even been looked at by the TSA agents.
There is a TSA agent who is a Pilgrim that posts on the American Pilgrim Facebook page. He advises that he carries his poles on each time. He also says that the agents he works with agree that they are not prohibited and pass theem without question.

I am personally offended (as I know Laurie is also) by the accusation that we are doing anything dangerous, "gaming the system" or in any way doing anything illegal. There is no possible way that a pilgrims walking poles in their pack is a security danger to anyone on any airplane.
The tip on a walking pole is simply not sharp like a ski pole.

The fact is that up until now the TSA has consistently allowed poles to be carried in the cabin. No one has posted that they have been turned down (USA) in any of the many threads on this subject.
It is not believeable that the poles are not allowed in the face of this evidence. Thus...no one is "sneaking" the poles on board.

If I were of a mind to ... and to be clear, I am not, ... I could do some serious damage with a trekking pole.

I once had a confrontation with a bear. I set my pole as if it were a spear ... it would have impaled itself had it continued its charge.

So go ahead and be offended. I too am offended when I am asked for my boarding pass a half dozen times on the premise that my security is somehow enhanced by it when clearly it is not.

I have posted about poles not being allowed by TSA but somehow a dissenting voice is never remembered. I had two hiking buddies, flying together, who had to exit the security area and call a husband to come collect their poles and my aunt tried to take a telescoping golf ball retriever (had a circular end, not a point) in carryon and it was confiscated. So there are examples of it happening opinion America, however infrequent it might be.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If I were of a mind to ... and to be clear, I am not, ... I could do some serious damage with a trekking pole.

I once had a confrontation with a bear. I set my pole as if it were a spear ... it would have impaled itself had it continued its charge.

So go ahead and be offended. I too am offended when I am asked for my boarding pass a half dozen times on the premise that my security is somehow enhanced by it when clearly it is not.
Whari, who am I to challenge your story, but I strongly dissuade anyone hiking in Colorado to take on a Coloradan bear with a hiking pole.
When they find your remains, they will also find a fat, chuckling bear using the remains of your trekking pole as a toothpick, happily cleaning his teeth...

Whari, who am I to challenge your story, but I strongly dissuade anyone hiking in Colorado to take on a Coloradan bear with a hiking pole.
When they find your remains, they will also find a fat, chuckling bear using the remains of your trekking pole as a toothpick, happily cleaning his teeth...

I am glad the incident turned out well enough with the bear, me, and my pole intact.

Stephen, I cannot attest for what Irish authorities allow past their security, but in the USA it is definitely NOT up to the airline to stipulate what they will or will not allow, in regards to trekking poles. In the USA, the TSA is the only word on such things (although some airlines will now prohibit big game). ONLY the TSA has the authority to say yea or nay regarding the poles, and so far, 100% of my Camino companions have been allowed to carry on their telescoped-down and rubber tipped trekking poles inside their backpacks. I have queried at least 30 Denver Camino veterans who have made the trip either this year or last, and ALL have said "no problem." ALL of them.

With trekking poles, as with other things in life, if we expect a problem or go searching for a problem, we can probably find one. For those who go searching for a problem, when they can't find one, they're happy to make one.
But if we expect things to be good, or non-problematic, then life is generally good and non-problematic.

Buen camino y vaya con dios...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am glad the incident turned out well enough with the bear, me, and my pole intact.

British Army exercise in Poland. Field medical unit camped in a forest. Uproar in the middle of the night as a family of wild boar paid a visit. In the morning some of the soldiers were sharpening sticks to use as spears in case of a repeat performance. Puzzled looks when I asked if they were 100% sure of killing with the first stab. So I asked how they then planned to deal with several hundred pounds of well-armed and now deeply p****d-off pork. Luckily we never had to find out :)

With all due respect to you, I was serious about my question and I am not trying to play games. I am trying to plan my Camino and I have been given mixed responses to my question. For instance, I have been told I could take knitting needles on the plane. By the way, I have rubber, not metal, tips. I appreciate your advice, but I regret that you had to "vent" before giving it to me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I travel from Ireland. I Carry my Rucksack on board. I can check in my walking poles, free of Charge.

We just returned from our Camino and carried walking stick and pack together round trip. We broke them down so they would fit in our packs.

I'll be travelling to Oviedo from Venice and the airport security rules are that you cannot bring hiking poles but you can bring a pocket knife.up to 6cm .so whats the problem with the poles. And i'm very happy i can bring my swiss army knife cause i will probably need it at Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I bought some inexpensive poles in St.Jean and left them in Santiago. It would have cost more to check my backpack on the flights. Worked out great.
that sounds very simple and very sensible. I have this conundrum and followed this thread to find some answers. My concern is for safety, absolutely, but also the most fool proof way of getting my kit across to SJPP. I would be devastated if my back-pack would be left behind or lost. I'd rather have the option of buying new poles would they be lost. I saw the option for using a camping chair bag, great idea. Just in case, where in SJPP did you buy new poles? Do they carry a good selection?

that sounds very simple and very sensible. I have this conundrum and followed this thread to find some answers. My concern is for safety, absolutely, but also the most fool proof way of getting my kit across to SJPP. I would be devastated if my back-pack would be left behind or lost. I'd rather have the option of buying new poles would they be lost. I saw the option for using a camping chair bag, great idea. Just in case, where in SJPP did you buy new poles? Do they carry a good selection?

Check out some of the latter posts in this recent Forum thread for where to find/buy poles in SJPdP.

Good luck and Buen camino!

I would be devastated if my back-pack would be left behind or lost.
Don't let something like this devastate you! :eek: I know - you are exaggerating, but you are keeping your own anxiety level too high! ;)

The best way to ensure your bag arrives with you is to carry it with you. If you have items that cannot be carried on (i.e. walking sticks, knife), then you have 3 options:
  1. Check them in a small throw-away bag or box, by themselves. One checked bag is usually free on trans-Atlantic flights. If that goes missing you have to replace only 2 things. That is only a minor inconvenience and can be considered part of the adventure!
  2. If your backpack is too big for carry on, when packed, reduce its bulk by wearing things or by adding something to the items that go in your checked bag. If the pack is still too big, I think you need a different pack!
  3. Start out with the plan to buy those items on arrival. Then simply carry your backpack onto the plane with no worries. I always carry on the important items that are hard to replace.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back