• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from Camino Madrid - Cigunuela.

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
After mulling over the options, I took a 10 am bus to Simancas. The bus let me off right at the Camino and I remembered the "Under the Sea" motif of the walkway going back toward Simancas, under the highway and recognized right away where I was!

This walk today was just as beautiful as I remember it. The poppies here have not yet popped but the fields are green and the fruit trees were in bloom. The church bell tower in Cigunuela teased me from the first few kilometers and I remembered that too!

An easy walk, I arrived long before noon. The lady at #24 gave me the key and checked me in. I did my wash, had a nice hot shower, and soon there was noise at the door and three more pilgrims arrived!

These three are very NICE French people of the Camino! They have walked this route before and the man and his wife are walking again with his 80 year old mother! She is beautiful and in fantastic condition! I can't believe she is 80, anybody under 80 who thinks they are too old to do this walk should see her example.

I'm happy to have positive roommates and look forward to sharing space with them.

Right now I'm at Mielga having lunch. Mmmmmmmmm!

The Albergue charges €3. Here are three hot showers and several rooms of beds.

It's a good place, just as I remember.

Tomorrow, I will try to see Wamba church.

Annie

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Annie,
Glad to read that all is better now for you! Your heart-felt accounts have been great. All the best for a good continuation of your journey.
Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

PS. The poppies haven't popped yet here in Champagne either; can't wait for their vivid color!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Enjoy every step and every stop of your new camino. Let's hope you finally finish the Madrid this time. Best of luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
image.jpeg A wonderful day so far. I'm sitting at a table looking at my cervesa con limon and thinking about that entrance to Penaflor, 'HOLY CRAP!!!!" That was some climb. I considered taking the road. One day I'll learn to listen to myself. Lol.

Anyway. Dinner is in 10 minutes so I'm waiting. Then will decide if I want to another 10 k. to Castromonte. Supposed to rain tomorrow. Could make a short day of it.

Laurie, I got to go inside the church at Wamba! I will post photos later tonight on my blog, along with the schedule and phone number. You can call the night before and arrange someone to meet you with the key and to give a tour. Quite nice.

I had a fine dinner at Bar Hornija of stewed rabbit and chickpea soup. I decided to stay the night here in Penaflor. The Albergue here is lovely. It has 8 beds (4 bunks), a nice bathroom with a towel warmer, a great kitchen with stove, a washing machine, and HEAT!

They charge 3 euros.

I was hoping I could buy food here this afternoon for tomorrow mornings walk but you need to pay attention. You can buy bread in Wamba but nothing else. There is a bar for coffee that opens at 10, but no food. The bar here in Penaflor serves food but the market opens at 9 am and closes at 2 pm. The bar here opens at 10 am.

I understand there is no market in Castromonte, although there are two bars that may serve food. I'll report tomorrow. I only plan on going to Castromonte tomorrow because rain is forcast and I'm about three days ahead of schedule for my arrival in Pamplona.

I will start late in order to buy some food, just in case.

I'm warm, happy, and settled in.
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just learned there is a tienda here.
It's not the fruit market next to the bar but further down the street.
It is closed but if you knock the lady will open it.
I'm off to check it out.
Lots of photos posted on my blog.

I just learned there is a tienda here.
It's not the fruit market next to the bar but further down the street.
It is closed but if you knock the lady will open it.
I'm off to check it out.
Lots of photos posted on my blog.
On another thread I remember someone mentioned that bar on the main plaza in Penaflor has a small tienda at the back. I didn't know that when staying there.
In Castromonte as you enter the albergue is to the left (with fully equiped kitchen), on main street on the right hand side is first bar (Lotteria sign) which sells bread and maybe some food in the evening, second bar (Caribu?) is to the left opposite the church on main plaza. Very famous for elderly owners but they don't prepare food anymore. If you're lucky maybe supply van would come to the village when passing through.

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Taking another leisurely day today. It's cold and raining and the bar here didn't open until 10 am. I managed to get fruit, bread, instant coffee, cheese, at the little fruit market next to Bar Hornija. The lady at the mercado never answered her bell.

To Castromonte today as soon as there is a break in the weather. I hope the Albergue has heat. Last night was heavenly. I'm spoiled now.

Probably no photos today until I arrive. My iPad is allergic to rain.
Annie

On another thread I remember someone mentioned that bar on the main plaza in Penaflor has a small tienda at the back. I didn't know that when staying there.
In Castromonte as you enter the albergue is to the left (with fully equiped kitchen), on main street on the right hand side is first bar (Lotteria sign) which sells bread and maybe some food in the evening, second bar (Caribu?) is to the left opposite the church on main plaza. Very famous for elderly owners but they don't prepare food anymore. If you're lucky maybe supply van would come to the village when passing through.

Ultreia!

Thanks for telling me about the kitchen. Joe mentioned a carneceria so maybe I can cook.

There is no tienda here at the bar, although he does sell chips, nuts, and ice cream.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Seems like Rob the Slob should be close behind me. Anyone heard from him?
According to his last post yesterday afternoon he took a train from Cercedilla to Segovia. For today he reserved a hostal in/close to Sta.Maria la Real de Nieva. That means he's about 4-5 days behind you. I guess you two would hardly meet on Camino unless you'll do half shorter stages.

Had a great hamburguesa yesterday that I cook in the great kitchen here in Castromonte. I am the only pilgrim here. Today to Rioseca. The sun is shining. Hooray!

Buen camino, Annie, I remember that I got a little confused walking into town, if you've crossed the river, you've gone past the albergue (in the convent), at least that is my recollection. When I walked, the route took me into town on another road, so it didn't go by the convent and I got kind of turned around. Enjoy!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen camino, Annie, I remember that I got a little confused walking into town, if you've crossed the river, you've gone past the albergue (in the convent), at least that is my recollection. When I walked, the route took me into town on another road, so it didn't go by the convent and I got kind of turned around. Enjoy!!!
Yes. It was a bit confusing.

First, there is a tiny tienda in the village before, Valverde de Campos. It's on the way out of the village and she has a nice variety of pilgrim goods.

Once you are on the stretch from there to Medina, you will go onto the main highway for a few yards. Then the Camino veers off onto a dirt road that goes right alongside the highway, then up onto a small hill. You will go past a little forested area, around a small hill and eventually end up crossing the highway again. Here is where it is confusing. Instead of continuing straight ahead turn RIGHT and walk on the highway. There is an "A" (Albergue) sign painted on the road. You will literally walk right into the convent.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I met a very nice German pilgrim last night. His name is Eckhardt. He and I were the only two here. We enjoyed beer, coffee, pastries, and great conversation, sharing Camino stories and ideas about solving the world's problems. He left a few minutes ago to continue on his walk. I will spend another night in Medina to visit the Semana Santa museum and two other museums here and to get my wash done. I'll head out for Cuenca tomorrow. This is a lovely little village with a lot to see. Lots of shops, bars, markets. I need some new long johns. Mine finally rotted through and there is a sporting good store here. Looking forward to the day. I will post photos tonight.

I met a very nice German pilgrim last night. His name is Eckhardt. He and I were the only two here. We enjoyed beer, coffee, pastries, and great conversation, sharing Camino stories and ideas about solving the world's problems. He left a few minutes ago to continue on his walk. I will spend another night in Medina to visit the Semana Santa museum and two other museums here and to get my wash done. I'll head out for Cuenca tomorrow. This is a lovely little village with a lot to see. Lots of shops, bars, markets. I need some new long johns. Mine finally rotted through and there is a sporting good store here. Looking forward to the day. I will post photos tonight.
Cuenca remains as a very nice village in my memory. Especially for large and clean albergue, very pilgrim friendly lady owner of a bar across the plaza from Ayto. (she usually takes pictures of pilgrims and hang them on the walls, pictures not pilgrims ;)) and rest of the inhabitants which tried to teach me some local card plays in the evening in another restaurante up the street from plaza.
There's also a small tienda to the left in Ayto building which could be closed tomorrow but before mentioned lady owner has all the contacts either for tienda or albergue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Went to the Musea de Semana Santa this morning and about froze to death. You'd think with all this fat I would be warm. I wanted to see the other museum but fear catching cold so I hightailed it back to the convent. There's an icy wind blowing. I found the sports store and purchased another fleece and some Longhorns. My wash was dry, so I brought it is and just finished a nice steaming bowl of chicken soup.

Looks like I have about 22 k tomorrow and it looks pretty flat. Any advice will be appreciated. I looked at Wikiloc and looks like some folks walk one side of the canal and some the other. I guess it doesn't matter. But there is also apparently another route through a town called Berrueces and I don't believe I have to go that way?

Stocked up on a few groceries for May 1 holiday.
Enjoying this walk very much.

I did not particularly like Cuenca and walked another 5k to Villalon. The Albergue in Villalon is fantastic. Great kitchen, washing machine, clean bathrooms, hot water, heat, and a large living room with couches and a TV. I almost felt like I was home. The Albergue is all the way through town but easy to find. The woman who has the key is named Rosa and works at the Farmacia or just call the number on the door. There are lots more options for food here than Cuenca. A nice hotel another 50 meters up the road with good food options and Pastre de helado. Other than the snow day, this was a very tough rain day and this Albergue was a piece of heaven.

Ultreya,
Joe

I looked at Wikiloc and looks like some folks walk one side of the canal and some the other. I guess it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter.

But there is also apparently another route through a town called Berrueces and I don't believe I have to go that way?

Most pilgrims go through Tamariz (the canal de Castilla is plus and you may get some shadow). I don't know how will be the signaling of the route through Berrueces but it's an alternative. There's a third alternative: to go following the old train line. Unadvisable nowadays due to lack of manteinance (i.e.: if you decide to go through Berrueces, be sure you are on your way to Berruees and not in the old train line) but it'll be a nice alternative if the project to make it a vía verde (a walking/bicycling route) is finally made.

P.S.: As May 1st is Sunday, May 2nd is a public holiday this year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It doesn't matter.

Most pilgrims go through Tamariz (the canal de Castilla is plus and you may get some shadow). I don't know how will be the signaling of the route through Berrueces but it's an alternative. There's a third alternative: to go following the old train line. Unadvisable nowadays due to lack of manteinance (i.e.: if you decide to go through Berrueces, be sure you are on your way to Berruees and not in the old train line) but it'll be a nice alternative if the project to make it a vía verde (a walking/bicycling route) is finally made.

P.S.: As May 1st is Sunday, May 2nd is a public holiday this year.

Yes. We heard but my fellow pilgrims do not believe me. I have food though.

After mulling over the options, I took a 10 am bus to Simancas. The bus let me off right at the Camino and I remembered the "Under the Sea" motif of the walkway going back toward Simancas, under the highway and recognized right away where I was!

This walk today was just as beautiful as I remember it. The poppies here have not yet popped but the fields are green and the fruit trees were in bloom. The church bell tower in Cigunuela teased me from the first few kilometers and I remembered that too!

An easy walk, I arrived long before noon. The lady at #24 gave me the key and checked me in. I did my wash, had a nice hot shower, and soon there was noise at the door and three more pilgrims arrived!

These three are very NICE French people of the Camino! They have walked this route before and the man and his wife are walking again with his 80 year old mother! She is beautiful and in fantastic condition! I can't believe she is 80, anybody under 80 who thinks they are too old to do this walk should see her example.

I'm happy to have positive roommates and look forward to sharing space with them.

Right now I'm at Mielga having lunch. Mmmmmmmmm!

The Albergue charges €3. Here are three hot showers and several rooms of beds.

It's a good place, just as I remember.

Tomorrow, I will try to see Wamba church.

Annie

Hi
Can anyone advise me on a guide book for the walk from Madrid.
I have printed off a description of the walk, broken into distances, villages etc. will this be enough (have read a few people have got lost / taken wrong direction for a whileat various stages)
I leave NZ today and wonder if I can buy a guide book to the walk in Madrid.
Does anyone know?
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there.
The arrows have been pretty straight forward.
Maggie told me about Wikiloc maps. And I've used that app once I figured it out.

There us an excellent offline map app that the German man showed me called Oruxmaps. With it he even found his way through large cities.

There are also great files on he forum.
It's a lovely route with very good albergues b
When do you walk?

Today was perhaps my favorite stage on the Madrid route. The canal walk was just so uplifting.

There are some notes for those walking. If I already posted these, I apologize

Leaving Medina de Rioseca you must pay close attention because there are three routes. To go to Cuenca ...

Leave the convent and go straight through town. As you reach the edge of town there is a park on the right. You will see arrows pointing straight and also to the right. If you want the most beautiful and shortest route, go to the RIGHT.

FOLLOW THE CANAL. It is beautiful. It does not matter which side you walk on, but I walked the right side and there were no resting places. I did see picnic tables on the other side.

You just follow the canal until it basically stops and takes a sharp turn to the right. There is a big building there and plenty of signage. Now you continue on straight and just follow the arrows to Tamariz. There is a bar there. On Sunday it was not open until noon.

From Tamariz you have two choices. Follow the arrows out of town and to the left to the highway. At the highway you can follow the Camino signs to another small village and then around to Cuenca. 4 k road walking and 8 k on track for a total of about 12.

OR turn right and follow the road to Cuenca. 8 k of road walking but 4 k shorter. This was the choice I made.

On that road, you can watch the signs count down the kilometers and after you are down to one, you cross a highway and continue straight on a dirt road. There are no arrows and the village appears and disappears but eventually you reach another road. Turn left and walk into Cuenca.

The road splits. Take the lower road (see the arrow to your left on the tree after you turn). Walk all the way to the main square. Across the square and to your right is the Albergue Bar, where you get the key to the very nice, big,well-equipped Albergue. The hospitalero comes by later to collect €6. There are two dorms of beds and at least one room with two beds. Two bathrooms with two toilets and two showers each.

Having trouble with wifi. Will post photos tomorrow.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
image.jpeg Today's walk seemed much longer than 22 k.

It wasn't.

One of the pilgrims had one of those fancy gps thingies. But it sure felt long. And Santervas reminded me of when I was a child riding with my grandpa in the pickup to go irrigate a field in the summer. Ahead on the road there would appear to be water. A mirage. But when we would get to that spot, the water would have moved ahead again.

My Pa would say, "Wow! Can you believe that water dried up so fast!? Oh look! There is is ahead again, up on the road!

It blew my 5 year old mind.

Today was like that. Santervas just kept moving further and further away.

At one point, a local man, Gerard, joined me on the road and walked me in. It was nice to have company.

The Australian Peregrino, Justin, soon followed with Han, from Korea. We all sat at the bar for lunch and soon, I came our two Canary Island peregrinas.

After lunch and a giant cervesa con limon, I learned the barkeep was headed to Sahagun for groceries. She offered to give me a lift. So I accepted. I got my very first blister yesterday walking that danged road into Cuenca and I feel done. With only one stage left, I feel I've completed this route. If I do come back in the future, I'll walk the last 22 k. .

The Albergue in Santervas is again, quite nice. I only saw one dorm with four beds and a bathroom/shower. But I heard there are at least twenty beds there. There is a bar right next door but as far as I could ascertain,there is NO WI-FI in town. Perhaps in the main square but we were all too tired to go check.

I'm now sitting in my private room in Sahagun. I've had a long hot bath and I may take another!

I have a train ticket to Pamplona tomorrow where I'll hole up for a few days and meet up with my group.

Life is good, even when it's crappy.
Yes, it is!

If anyone can give me some good instructions for the following, I would be grateful.

1. On May 31 I arrive in Santiago. I need to get back to San Anton the next day if possible.

2. I finish at San Anton June 10. What's the easiest way to get back to Madrid by June 13?

Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks!
Annie

On May 31 I arrive in Santiago. I need to get back to San Anton the next day if possible.

Train from Santiago de Compostela to Burgos (www.renfe.com) plus bus from Burgos to Castrojeriz (see below for bus Company). The train station is far away from the bus station though (5 or more kms away). A bus to Plaza de España will leave you closer to the bus station if you don't want to walk it or take a taxi. If you are lucky and Line 80 departs at your arrival (or not too later), that line will leave you even closer to the bus station than the lines going to Plaza de España. I say if you are lucky because Line 80 is aimed mostly for students of the University of Burgos so it just runs on days when there's class and schedules are thought to suit them but with your arrival time you may be lucky and be able to take one of the buses departing early in the afternoon.

I finish at San Anton June 10. What's the easiest way to get back to Madrid by June 13?

Bus from Castrojeriz to Burgos (it doesn't run on Sundays) with http://autobusesamaya.com plus bus from Burgos to Madrid (either airport or downtown) with www.alsa.es/en

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.