• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Asuncion and the ... big heads, papier maché ...

• Thread starter Anemone del Camino
  • Start date
A

Anemone del Camino

Can anyone explain what the large headed dolls/people on Santiago's streets today represent?

I would love something in the Resource section about when to be in Santiago depending on its religious 'happenings'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would love to hear more about it. Is it related to Ascuncion/Ascension Day or just part of a fiesta? We saw one such figure in Logrono during the San Mateo festival, a scary looking but essentially friendly giant, walking/dancing through the streets and patting heads or shaking hands with people, including us - and yes, I was a tiny bit scared ;). You see them also in northern France and in Flanders during festivals; they were imported by the Spanish troops when these parts of Europe were the "Spanish Netherlands" under Spanish rule (roughly 1600-1700). See also the entry Gigantes y cabezudos in Wikipedia. There is a bit on the origin in the Spanish article and a lot more in the French article. There are links in Spanish to more history on these "giants and big-heads".
Yoûre right, also seen in Belgium, but good question, part of a "fiesta"/celebration, or wotj a significance with the,particular Catholic festivity of the day?

StgoGigantes.png
Giants and cabezudos or big heads are a usual part of many festivities in West Europe -an also, to some extent, in Latin America. Groups of children taunt cabezudos, and they chase them by the streets...I remember that from my childhood. Cabezudos can give you a head-butt, so you run as fast as possible. It was very fun.
I saw them in Santiago, the 25th July, many years ago (see photo).
Giants tend to represent characters associated with local history, but generally a king, a queen, and a "Moor", are always present (I remember, in a Basque village, a "Mexican charro", because it was formerly a migrant town).
Today, it is a kind of much liked tradition, and they are financed by city halls.
I read somewhere a theory about that those giants were initially present in Corpus Christi, and they represented the kings or parts of the world, giving homage to Christ. Beside giants and cabezudos, in Corpus there were "tarascas", a kind of monster or serpent.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ascuncion/Ascension

They are actually two different days. Today (May 5th) is Ascensión (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Ascension). Aug. 15th is Asunción (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_Mary).

There's also el vino que tiene Asunción but that's another story...:p

Is it related to Ascuncion/Ascension Day or just part of a fiesta?

part of a "fiesta"/celebration, or wotj a significance with the,particular Catholic festivity of the day?

There are tons of local traditions and I don't know about the specific case of Santiago de Compostela. However, I'd say that Gigantes y Cabezudos are found in many festivities all around Spain and nowadays aren't seen as connected with religion by most people. If there was some place(s) where they still were explicitly connected to religion (e.g.: they were found on the same procesión that saints and/or virgins), I'd say that would be an exception. In most places, it's just an act/activity of the festivities aimed (mainly) for kids with no religious connection (even if it had a religious connection in the past). It may have its tradition in each place (e.g.: the giants representing historical personages) but many times people is unaware of it.

On www.ssantabenavente.com/paginas/Arca/GigantesCabezudos.htm you can find an article about the history of the Gigantes y Cabezudos on the Corpus Christi procesión in the town of Benavente that can be very interesting to get some ideas.

Some extra big ones just walked by the window of my pension in Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OK, I am officialy nostalgic. I had a vision of myself running down a cobblestone street with other kids, both laughing and scared, pursued by an apparently angry (and, in perspective, completely inoffensive) “big head”. Thanks, @Anemone del Camino for bringing back these almost forgotten memories.

We also have them in Costa Rica. Any fiesta ( part from Semana Santa) is a good excuse for them to come out and create a bit of fun. It's definately Spanish inherited.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back