• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Daily posts from the Camino del Norte

Magwood

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
I set off from Irun today. I am posting daily to my blog. I will put a link to the daily posts here. Just click the link below or, if you prefer follow to blog directly and receive an email each time I publish a post at http://www.magwood.me

Day 1 - Irun to San Sebastián

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will be following your blog, Maggie. Wishing you well, good walking weather and...buen Camino :)
Dominique

I am looking forward to following your blog. I am in the "dreaming" stage of planning my Norte camino.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen camino @Magwood. I note that you're taking a remote keyboard for your iPad, and would be interested in knowing which one you've chosen.
Suzanne :)
P.S. I like the idea of using high-viz tape on your cables, etc.

Last edited:
Lovely photos esp the macros of flowers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Great stuff @Magwood and bringing back glorious memories. We walked it a few weeks later, last year. Enjoy! Hope the rain stays away; we had a couple of very uncomfortable days when it absolutely poured, but the rest was good.

Hi Magwood
When you went to The PC I followed your blog eagerly since I went a couple of months after your return.
And in July I'm walking Del Norte so again I'll be reading your daily posts.
Buen camino to you.

Magwood blogs are like curling up with a good novel!
Buen Camino
Janice

I'm loving your blog Maggie - it's all so beautifully put together - an absolute pleasure to read. May each day on the Norte bring you much joy -
Jenny xxx

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with Janice...I love this blog..every morning I read it with the first coffee of the day. Such a treat.

Hola, Maggie,
Always enjoying your blog posts from the first Camino with your daughter on. Could you please tell me which is the app you are using for tracking/recording your walk. I would like to combine Endomondo with another one to compare them on my Camino this year.
Thanks and Ultreia!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many thanks to everyone for your very kind comments.
@KinkyOne, I am using wikiloc. I have found it to be the most accurate of those that I have tried when compared to a dedicated GPS unit. I also use mapmywalk which overstates the distance as compared to wikiloc, but I like some of the features.

Today I felt the first rain, but not very much. Although it had been raining a lot during the night and the track was very muddy and slippery. It was a relief to walk on the road, even though there was a lot of it today.

Link to Day 3

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many thanks to everyone for your very kind comments.
@KinkyOne, I am using wikiloc. I have found it to be the most accurate of those that I have tried when compared to a dedicated GPS unit. I also use mapmywalk which overstates the distance as compared to wikiloc, but I like some of the features.

Today I felt the first rain, but not very much. Although it had been raining a lot during the night and the track was very muddy and slippery. It was a relief to walk on the road, even though there was a lot of it today.

Link to Day 3
Again great pictures . Love the stories as well I will follow it to the end. It gives me the insight for next year when I will walk the Norte as well.
Wish you well ,Peter.

Glad you see you are getting into the rhythm and enjoying your journey Magwood.
Ultrea!
Janice

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great blogging as always Maggie thank you! Your entries are so enjoyable and informative - the weather looks amazing... I can't wait to be there in September :)

The hill you are refering to is the Brusco and I was told it was better to go over it rather than around it by the tourism office in Santona: I think that person has never climbed kt! As beautiful as the views are it can be a dangerous path, with the cliff right behind you should you set a foot wrong and your backpack pulling you backwards. Being short I even had to crawl up a bit on my knees, and sit on my way down. Not for everyone.

Also, since you wondered, mountains shown in your pictures arriving in Santander are notmthe Picos, who are futher West, but the Cordillera cantabrica. They look beautiful with all that snow.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The wooden youke you saw is, I belive, a collera. Basically is cow collar used to tie the cow to its manger or to a stake in the ground to prevent it from eating too much. Why wood (heavy?) vs a lighter more modern material, I don't know.

Thanks for the info @anemone. I have also been told by a spanish guy that bulls in the north are not used for fighting.

Loving the blog. We walked this path in 2009 and sore feet were always there. We used to walk on the verge of the road to try and walk on soft ground.!! I think you need 2 pairs of shoes on this route...one for the hills and one for the road.
As Australians we too were the only ones from an english speaking country but some of the others also spoke a some english. We had german french polish italian spanish and austrian pilgrims. We often compared our book guides at night ..or during a walk....and sometimes took paths as suggested by those other guides. We often referred to the german guide .....as Dr Joos ...with great respect. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maggie, are you on Facebook? There's a young couple from ....well, I don't know but are English-speaking, who are just behind you. They're called "Uncornered Market". They've been posting some fantastic photographs of the Norte. They posted that yesterday they: "Decided to take a small 1km detour from the Camino at Unquera to spend the night at Agritourismo Muriances as we heard the mother there, Elizabeth, cooks up a storm." And they were overawed by the food and views. Perhaps you'll have a chance to meet?

Maggie, are you on Facebook? There's a young couple from ....well, I don't know but are English-speaking, who are just behind you. They're called "Uncornered Market". They've been posting some fantastic photographs of the Norte. They posted that yesterday they: "Decided to take a small 1km detour from the Camino at Unquera to spend the night at Agritourismo Muriances as we heard the mother there, Elizabeth, cooks up a storm." And they were overawed by the food and views. Perhaps you'll have a chance to meet?

I think I did meet them yesterday. An American couple living in Berlin. Really lovely. I met them in the bar as we arrived in Pendueles but they were moving on to the next village. Just checked out the Facebook page, and yes - it was them. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Link to day 16
Yes, it's tru that the link isn't working but you can just click on next day in the link for Day 15.

Maggie, is Marina by any chance from France (Swiss)??? I met a woman in her 40's/50's by the name Marina in 2014 in A Laxe on Sanabres and walked with her and a French boy of 15 years she was with (French program for resocializing youngsters) on and off until Fisterra. She told me about her love for Camino del Norte and a great wish to open albergue there. So I thought she might be the same person. Would love very much to reconnect if you have any additional info or even her address. Thank you in advance!

Enjoying your posts and photos as always :)

EDIT: I looked into your post once again and saw that you wrote Marina IS French. If she looks somewhat like a hippie that must be her.

Last edited:
Yes, it's tru that the link isn't working but you can just click on next day in the link for Day 15.

Maggie, is Marina by any chance from France (Swiss)??? I met a woman in her 40's/50's by the name Marina in 2014 in A Laxe on Sanabres and walked with her and a French boy of 15 years she was with (French program for resocializing youngsters) on and off until Fisterra. She told me about her love for Camino del Norte and a great wish to open albergue there. So I thought she might be the same person. Would love very much to reconnect if you have any additional info or even her address. Thank you in advance!

Enjoying your posts and photos as always :)

EDIT: I looked into your post once again and saw that you wrote Marina IS French. If she looks somewhat like a hippie that must be her.
Very much hippyish and with a distinctive lump on her forehead. She is lovely. If you were to contact Sergio at the email address given for the albergue La Ferreria on day 18, I expect he will have contact details for Marina.

The plant is a Lathraea Clandestina (Purple toothwort) originally from
Western Belgium, Western and Central France and Northern Spain, and locally in Central Italy

Thank you for that info - it was very unusual to me, with the flowers growing from a crown at ground level. Someone else suggests they might be insect catching plants.

Love the stories and the pictures. The stories and the pictures tell that you have a great time.
Wish you well on your journey, Peter.
p.s. The link to day 16 is not working. .

I will try to correct it Peter.

Very much hippyish and with a distinctive lump on her forehead. She is lovely. If you were to contact Sergio at the email address given for the albergue La Ferreria on day 18, I expect he will have contact details for Marina.
Hahaha, that's definitely her. Very funny and good person!
Thank you. I sent an e-mail to Sergio.

Bostjan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Maggie,
Your blog is bringing back lots of nice memories, and one or two that aren't so nice. But I think you handled the guy in the red jacket perfectly, and hope you found that you can shake the unease that comes along with these encounters. The sad truth seems to be that as a route gets more popular it attracts the perverts. Another good reason to walk solitary caminos -- these guys are unlikely to hang around all day on the chance that one pilgrim will walk by! In fact, I have only had these incidents on the Frances, but when I walked the Norte it was a lot more untravelled.

Really looking forward to seeing how you go following in Alan's footsteps "around the hump" (I think that's how he described it). Your blog will surely be a great resource for those of us who are tempted by the Ruta del Mar.

Thanks for such great posts, Buen camino! Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would say start a new thread so we that will follow your steps could easily find it. But do continue your blog, please :)

Ok, have set it up,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.