• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Montpellier May 23rd...

Arianna Rose Thorne

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: none
Future (May-June): Chemin d'Arles to Puente la Reina
Bonjour!

I am a solo traveler, excited to converse and connect with you fellow pilgrims! Beginning around May 22nd in Montpellier, I plan to take my time into Spain, leaving space for stopping a day in a town or two if it feels right, but I'm a fast, fit hiker.

I need to eventually find my way into Barcelona by June 23rd for a couple days of decompression before returning to the U.S. Considering chopping off the final stretch from Jaca to Puente la Reina and taking a train to the coast... is that like committing murder? I appreciate any guidance you can offer on how to spend these 30 days on foot while taking time to "smell the flowers" (which in my case translates to eating bon cuisine and encountering new friends).

Also, do the gîtes d'étape / hostels fill up this time of year in south France? Should I begin planning the first leg of accommodations? Any favorite charming gîtes? What towns should I avoid staying in or be particularly careful as a solo-female traveler other than Toulouse? What are your favorite cities or villages you recommend taking a day in to explore? And lastly, anyone else joining me in this journey?!

I am bursting with excitement...

Je parle un peu de français aussi, si plus facile...

I truly appreciate the incredibly supportive community that I see and feel on this forum... Merci beaucoup. Bon Chemin, comrads.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You may find that three are surprisingly few other hikers to meet. I managed just a few days of near total isolation before leaving for the Le Puy route.

Good luck!

You may find that three are surprisingly few other hikers to meet. I managed just a few days of near total isolation before leaving for the Le Puy route.

Good luck!

Thank you, Bill! I don't mind the seclusion. It will be nice to have a mix of cities at night and walking alone during the day.

I almost decided to take the Le Puy route... How was it? Someday I will walk it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've done the LePuy route twice, once from Le Puy to the border and once abbreviated at both ends so from Aumont Aubrac to Aire sur l'Adour.

Once in spring and once in fall. Totally loved it. I can walk alone or in company but I prefer to dine in company. The route from Montpellier was far too lonely at night for me. And the LePuy route was a great workout for my French, which turns out to be much better than I ever realized when traveling the more traditional tourist sites in France.

This year I'll complete the trek across Spain, but a return to the Le Puy route is sure to follow.

and just to note: you'll rarely be in anything like a city at night, rather quiet villages and very small towns. The contrast between your days and nights may often prove slight.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back