• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camping del norte/primitivo

evan.rhys

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (June 9-July 15)
A buddy and I are setting off from San Sebastian to walk del norte, later on to connect with the primitivo to finish our pilgrimage into Santiago. I know there has been some discussion on this topic already, but I wanted to get any fresh ideas from people who've been on the trail recently. Four questions:

One: I have a ultralight tent and love the idea of being able to do some camping, maybe 2 out of every 7 days. If we were doing the CF I wouldn't even think of bringing my tent, but from what I've been reading it seems like there are less albergues on del norte and possibly more opportunities to camp?

Two: We are doing the Camino first and foremost as a pilgrimage. My buddy is joining the seminary in the fall and I am desiring spiritual growth. We both like the idea of being near the ocean and we'd prefer less of a "touristy" approach. Is del norte less of a "pilgrimage" and more of an adventure?

Three: A big thing I am looking forward to is the camaraderie among pilgrims and meeting new people. I've read about lively pilgrim meals on CF and all the pilgrim friendships made on the more crowded trails. I do not like crowds, but I am also not a hermit. I'd love to share stories and learn from the people I meet. Is there someone who's done this route and can tell me about their experience?

Four: Is there someone who has done del norte and the primitivo in combination who might be able to tell me what it's like, or has any helpful tips?

Thanks a bunch,

Ultreia et suseia!

Evan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We took a tent on the Norte last year and rarely used it. We found that wild camping was not permitted, many albergues had no suitable garden, and tourist style camp sites cost about the same as an albergue bed. But maybe others have made it work.

I think the no camping rules are much more strictly applied where there are lots of tourists about (ie the early Norte). I found the Primitivo easily campable, and more albergues there except tents too.

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.