• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Camino Miracle (Astorga to Santiago)

Candice Smith

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2016)
My husband and I just returned from our first Camino (Astorga to Santiago). It was an adventure of a lifetime! We met people from all over the world and have many invitations to visit. The scenery, lodging, food and camaraderie were the best! We used Walks in Spain to transfer our luggage and help with lodging reservations. Their service was excellent and everything was perfect.
The highlight of our adventure was delivering a Milagros (a religious folk charm) traditionally used for healing purposes. I have a friend who has been waiting for a kidney transplant for a long time. This past Easter she got a Milagros in Sante Fe, New Mexico, when she walked a short pilgrimage to the Santuario de Chimayo, an adobe church nestled in the hills of New Mexico. The Milagros was to be delivered to another holy place after a pilgrimage. When she found out that we were walking the Camino, she asked us to deliver her Milagros and prayer intentions to the Cathedral Santiago de Compostela. I had sent several emails to the Cathedral and the Pilgrim's Office asking about the best place to leave the Milagros and prayer. The Pilgrim's Office contacted me and directed me to a small chapel to the left of the Cathedral's main altar. In my email I mentioned that I would be attending the Pilgrims Mass on May 17. When I finally found the small chapel (this is where the English mass is held everyday at 10:30 prior to the noon Pilgrim's Mass), I asked a Cathedral official if I was in the right place to leave a Milagros. His exact words were, "We've been waiting for you." I was brought into a small room where the priest was preparing for the noon mass. The official told me to remind the priest about how my friend was waiting for a transplant. The priest told me that Milagros means MIRACLE and that we should pray together. He then showed me a small glass bowl that was placed under the chapel's altar under Mother Mary, and he told me to leave the Milagros in the bowl. Other pilgrims had written their "intentions" or prayers and placed them in the same bowl. I was so moved that they had read my email and noted the date that I would be at the Cathedral and were actually waiting for me!
Fast forward 6 days, and I was back at home in the States. This morning, my telephone rang and I was told that my friend had a successful transplant last evening. MIRACLES DO HAPPEN! Visit the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela and say a prayer.
My journal and pictures about this miracle and my 14 days on the Camino can be found at: trailjournals.com/candyandalan/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is a beautiful story and I think what the very essence of the Pilgrimage should be about. Not everyone has this privilege.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In 2005 a Canadian walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago and Finisterre. His experiences are called "Oh ye of little faith" and the overall message "inspire". He also he recorded "the brotherhood" at the monastery of Santo Domingo de Silos (off the Camino, but not far from Burgos) when talking to the praying monks, and the theme became "expect miracles".
We've seen many miracles since, when every time the essence was having faith. ;)

That's a truly lovely story, thank you for sharing it

In 2005 a Canadian walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago and Finisterre. His experiences are called "Oh ye of little faith" and the overall message "inspire". He also he recorded "the brotherhood" at the monastery of Santo Domingo de Silos (off the Camino, but not far from Burgos) when talking to the praying monks, and the theme became "expect miracles".
We've seen many miracles since, when every time the essence was having faith. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and I just returned from our first Camino (Astorga to Santiago). It was an adventure of a lifetime! We met people from all over the world and have many invitations to visit. The scenery, lodging, food and camaraderie were the best! We used Walks in Spain to transfer our luggage and help with lodging reservations. Their service was excellent and everything was perfect.
The highlight of our adventure was delivering a Milagros (a religious folk charm) traditionally used for healing purposes. I have a friend who has been waiting for a kidney transplant for a long time. This past Easter she got a Milagros in Sante Fe, New Mexico, when she walked a short pilgrimage to the Santuario de Chimayo, an adobe church nestled in the hills of New Mexico. The Milagros was to be delivered to another holy place after a pilgrimage. When she found out that we were walking the Camino, she asked us to deliver her Milagros and prayer intentions to the Cathedral Santiago de Compostela. I had sent several emails to the Cathedral and the Pilgrim's Office asking about the best place to leave the Milagros and prayer. The Pilgrim's Office contacted me and directed me to a small chapel to the left of the Cathedral's main altar. In my email I mentioned that I would be attending the Pilgrims Mass on May 17. When I finally found the small chapel (this is where the English mass is held everyday at 10:30 prior to the noon Pilgrim's Mass), I asked a Cathedral official if I was in the right place to leave a Milagros. His exact words were, "We've been waiting for you." I was brought into a small room where the priest was preparing for the noon mass. The official told me to remind the priest about how my friend was waiting for a transplant. The priest told me that Milagros means MIRACLE and that we should pray together. He then showed me a small glass bowl that was placed under the chapel's altar under Mother Mary, and he told me to leave the Milagros in the bowl. Other pilgrims had written their "intentions" or prayers and placed them in the same bowl. I was so moved that they had read my email and noted the date that I would be at the Cathedral and were actually waiting for me!
Fast forward 6 days, and I was back at home in the States. This morning, my telephone rang and I was told that my friend had a successful transplant last evening. MIRACLES DO HAPPEN! Visit the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela and say a prayer.
My journal and pictures about this miracle and my 14 days on the Camino can be found at: trailjournals.com/candyandalan/

God bless you for sharing this miracle with us. I echo what AnnaKappa said above - this is the essence of pilgrimage that many of us do not get to experience for one reason or another. This miracle is particularly meaningful to me because I had a liver transplant in 1999 - I had a very rare disease diagnosed in 1987 that doctors cannot explain even today where it comes from or how to treat it.

May your dear friend and her new kidney function perfectly together and may she be restored to health. She is very lucky to have found a liver - the vast majority do not. It was a miracle.

My heart swells with gratitude for your miracle, and the sharing of it. Merci

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Candice, I followed you and Alan on your Camino on trailjournals and was so amazed at your post on delivering your Milagros in Santiago. I wish we knew of this tradition when we walked our Camino last Sep/Oct. We walked with our "intentions list" and remembered those on it every day of our Camino. But to deliver your Milagros at the Cathedral would have made the arrival there all the more special. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is quite extraordinary.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A camino miracle and an amazing pilgrimage. Peace and joy to all of you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Praise be to God!! Your friend has been blessed twice for having you as her friend and for the miracle of a new kidney. May you and your friend have a long blessed life.
Carmen

Thank you for this wonderful story. I will be walking for several friends who are in ill health, and in this year of forgiveness for myself as well ! It happens more often then we realize/ Bless you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back