• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather warnings and first day queery!

rosiexamanda

Rosie
Time of past OR future Camino
I have completed two Camino's in 2015, my first was the final 116km from Sarria to Santiago with a group of 19 for the Holy week in April, second in September on my own I walked from Melide to Finesterre around 180 km, my plans are, God Willing, to walk the whole Camino Frances in June and July for which I am currently preparing!
Evening all! I leave England net Tuesday so will begin my camingofrom SJPDP that week, could anyone tell me how the weather is looking at the moment? Iv seen a lot of rain and storms!? Would wou recommend more substantial waterproof clothing if so? And I have hear also that there are several routes possible from SJPDP to my next town could anyone explain this ir can I just figure it out when I am there? Thanks all

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Raingear ... There is no way to predict what the weather will bring next week or even later on today. You will be walking in mountains and that means weather is unpredictable. So you have a choice ... bring good rain gear or not. The consequences of not bringing rain gear could mean you get soaked ... and get cold ... and suffer hypothermia. Its pretty rare that people die on the camino due to exposure to bad weather but odds are that when it does it happens on route Napoleon and the ultimate cause is hypothermia even as the primary cause is lack of preparedness.

... Anyone can be uncomfortable on the camino ...

There are two routes from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.

One is route Napoleon and goes over the height of land at Col Lepoeder. There are no services after Refuge Orisson 8km from SJPdP. It is the recommended route if weather is good.

The other is route Valcarlos. It mainly follows the main road (with some off road sections) and passes through Valcarlos (where there is an albergue and other services) at about the half way mark. It is said to be less strenuous and less exposed to weather. It is the recommended route in the event of bad weather.

Both routes are liberally marked with yellow arrows and other markings. You just need to pay attention on leaving SJPdP and at any subsequent intersections.

It is suggested that you visit the Pilgrims Office just up the hill from the gateway to the Camino. They will provide better advice than can be provided here about the weather forecast and route finding.

And, oh yeah, you can do a map recce of the camino by walking virtually using google earth.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I second SYates suggestion. The Ferrino poncho is long with sleeves, covers my backpack and has been so useful. I pre-ordered from the the boutique du pelerin - www.boutique-du-pelerin.com Buen Camino!

I have the Ferrino poncho, but use it only during the coldish season as it keeps you quite warm/sweaty. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Lol, that is at the moment precisely my $5 Million question. My old summer no-name/Decathlon ponchos have died and I am busy looking for a new one ;-) Buen Camino, SY

We had a wet day today near Astorga (3/4 through). Our first proper rainy day I drained the water from my 'waterproof' shoes. Rang out my socks, my poor prune feet....Throughout the day heard about waterproof socks? Wearing plastic bags between socks and shoes.. Wet feet and blisters, try to keep your feet dry. Expensive shoes, gaiters....good luck, may the sun shine but not too much!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back