• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on finding Mass!

rosiexamanda

Rosie
Time of past OR future Camino
I have completed two Camino's in 2015, my first was the final 116km from Sarria to Santiago with a group of 19 for the Holy week in April, second in September on my own I walked from Melide to Finesterre around 180 km, my plans are, God Willing, to walk the whole Camino Frances in June and July for which I am currently preparing!
Hello again! I wondered if there were any other Catholics traveling who have found it on to get to mass especially in the Sunday's? I hopefully they won't be hard to find but know that the Camino is so wonderfully diverse it can be hard to be guided entirely by my faith when I need to find somewhere I can receive Holy Comunion! I have walked the last stretched and places being rather more commercial bigger and busy, churches were indeed saying mass, but I am apprehensive about more rural isolated areas but I assume I'll be ok in most at least on Sunday's? Previously I have met only a few who also pilgrimage for religious intentions so thought I may get some ideas befor I set off on Tuesday Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sundays were pretty easy. Some of the very small towns surprised me as the church bell would start ringing 10-12 minutes before mass so everyone in town had time to walk to church and still be on time. Still most of the small town churches were locked during the week.

I walked through four villages midway on the camino on a Sunday last October before I found a church with a mass. When I questioned the woman who was heading for the church with a large bunch of keys: "Four churches, one mass?" (My Spanish was pretty basic). Her reply was: "Twelve churches, one priest." Six local women attended that mass. A few men waited around outside to chat with the priest, but did not enter. I understand that volunteer priests offer mass in the summer season in Moratinos and Terradillos de los Templarios, two villages that I passed through on that Sunday before finding a mass, I believe in San Nicolas. I noticed masses posted on the door of the church at Moratinos, but none for that Sunday. The other three churches that I passed had no signs about masses.
As you are walking in the busy season, you may be able to find masses more easily, but you will have to be alert for opportunities. You might ask at the albergue when you book in, as pilgrim masses are often held in the evening. Good luck and buen camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Rebekah Scott in Moratinos has organized to bring English-speaking Catholic priests to the pilgrims in the meseta with Masses at the churches of Moratinos and Terradillos de los Templarios.
Here's a link to her announcement last for year:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/english-language-masses-on-the-meseta.32267/
I don't know what's happening this year exactly, but it's happening:
http://caminochaplaincy.blogspot.com/
I've often attended mass in the afternoons or evenings in the bigger towns...and there are the sweetest Vespers services ever in some of the nunneries along the way (I've been to services with nuns in Rabe de las Calzadas, Fromista, and Carrion de los Condes)
Lucky you!
Buen Camino, Rosie...may it be a deep and moving one.
Edit: this link may also be of interest:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/monasteries.20592/

Last edited:
On all three of my Caminos I was fortunate and managed to go to mass and receive the sacrament a few times between SJPdP and Santiago. I always made it a point to attend mass in SJPdP and in Santiago. My way of walking from church to church.
I gotta say, I really enjoyed mass in the smaller, rural churches.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was able to attend Mass probably three out of four days along the Camino Frances. It meant I needed to check the list that Margaret shows above and be a bit flexible in my stopping points each day.

I only had trouble in finding churches functioning daily along the really obscure Caminos (Vadiniense) and in rural France where usually they only had Sunday masses. Rosiexamanda might miss one or two days along the way but should not have trouble in finding churches holding Sunday mass--- her schedule might not have her there at the exact hour on a Sunday morning so she might have to slow down to make it every now and then, but a Saturday vigil mass will cover her for her Sunday obligation if she can't. While the priest shortage in Spain increases, the Spanish bishops have decided that pastoral care on the Camino is to become a greater focus so perhaps pilgrims will not be left out in the lurch.

I only had trouble in finding churches functioning daily along the really obscure Caminos (Vadiniense) and in rural France where usually they only had Sunday masses. Rosiexamanda might miss one or two days along the way but should not have trouble in finding churches holding Sunday mass--- her schedule might not have her there at the exact hour on a Sunday morning so she might have to slow down to make it every now and then, but a Saturday vigil mass will cover her for her Sunday obligation if she can't. While the priest shortage in Spain increases, the Spanish bishops have decided that pastoral care on the Camino is to become a greater focus so perhaps pilgrims will not be left out in the lurch.
There's also the last chance Mass on Sunday evenings in most large towns and cities.

On the CF I didn't have any problems on Sundays and during the week, being the spiritual equivalent of an omnivore, I took (and continue to take wherever I'm walking) whatever is going. So that means I've crashed (discretely and at the back if needs be) any and all masses/services-from funerals, weddings, baptisms and last year the sweetest First Holy Communion. Though this means that I mightn't always be able to receive Communion I always receive communion.
I have a scruffy little string Rosary that I use on pilgrimage and find if that is in sight locals immediately know what I'm going to ask them and take the lead.

Hello again! I wondered if there were any other Catholics traveling who have found it on to get to mass especially in the Sunday's? I hopefully they won't be hard to find but know that the Camino is so wonderfully diverse it can be hard to be guided entirely by my faith when I need to find somewhere I can receive Holy Comunion! I have walked the last stretched and places being rather more commercial bigger and busy, churches were indeed saying mass, but I am apprehensive about more rural isolated areas but I assume I'll be ok in most at least on Sunday's? Previously I have met only a few who also pilgrimage for religious intentions so thought I may get some ideas befor I set off on Tuesday Thank you!

If you carry a smart phone (iPhone or an Android based model) download the free app "Misas.org" It is available on the Apple App Store or from the Google Android Store. The app is in Spanish, although I was able to down load it from the US site. it is easy to understand.

You select the province you are in, then select the ciudad you are in or desire to look up. The app has virtually every place where a Catholic Mass is offered, along with schedule information. Better yet, it links to the map application for finding the place. I used extensively this past April on my journey from Madrid. The only caveat is that schedules change from winter to summer. I do not know if we are officially in "summer" yet. So, once you find the church, you may need to verify the actual Mass times.

I hope this helps.

To all the excellent advice above, I'll add my limited (SJPP to Burgos), anecdotal, experience last October when my husband and I managed to attend mass 12 out of 14 days.. Except for those two nights (Valcarlos and Larrasoana) we were staying in the "Brierley" stage stops, i.e., places were there were concentrations of pilgrims. Had we gone to mass in St. Jean before heading off (too excited to stick around....) or stayed in Zubiri (pushed on the extra couple of kilometers), it would have been 14 for 14.

Mass was in the evening and posted somewhere in the church. Usually around 7 or 7:30 p.m. My fast-moving husband arrived in town first and was able to scout things out for us. By the time I arrived, most of the churches were locked for siesta, and I'm not sure how easy it would have been to learn when and where mass was at that point. But ask at your albergue/hostal/casa when you arrive, or wherever you stop for a drink or to eat, or even check with the priest or someone in the town the day before.

Also, since I have a habit of stopping in any open church to pray and check out St. James, on a couple of occasions I dropped in somewhere just before morning mass or morning prayer was beginning. Not only was I welcome with my backpack, poles and hiking boots, the Buen Caminos and Signs of Peace I received seemed especially heartfelt.

Each of these masses was very special in its own unique way, and always with pilgrims called to the front for a special blessing. I found it very moving to think that in these towns all along the camino, the local residents were praying for our safe journey day after day.

Check the resources above, be on the alert as you walk, and Buen Camino!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In some of the smaller villages, it could be that Mass is said on Saturday evening, instead of Sunday. We simply went to any Mass available, whatever day of the week. The evening mass is usually between sometime 19.00 and 20.00. Also, we always walked into any church with doors open during the day. For me, a privilege.
There is a tricky moment during the week(s) following the summer/winter time change

Just as in other parts of the world, there is a shortage of priests in Spain so I found there were no masses every hour on the hour. Since we generally start walking 6:30 to 7 most churches are not open so we are up a mountain or out in the fields when mass is on. So Sundays, mass was generally not on. However, evening masses during the week were easier to find as many places put on pilgrim masses. Saturday night did not seem very popular in Spain. I spoke to a priest who has walked many caminos and he just advised get a misa when you can. Anyday is good and God appreciates the effort. I received the Eucharist many times on the camino, just not on Sundays. On one occasion I walked around Logrono on the eve of Palm Sunday, not a mass to be found. I came across an open church where a young couple were going in to get married. Slipped in at the back, received communion then slipped out early so as not to ruin any photos. Reached Navarette next day just as mass was ending so spent some time on my own in the church. Your religion does not need to be put on hold, just practiced in a slightly different way. To quote John Brierley, 'A grander chapel surrounds us that will remain forever open and welcoming'. Look into a prayer known as 'the breath prayer'. It served St Ignatius well as he walked from Navarette to Montserrat. Buen Camino and may God be with you, your pilgrimage will be a good one

So far, we've been lucky (we're on the Camino now in Moratinos). Unlike what others have said we've found Saturday vigil Masses easily. Not so easy on a Sunday morning when Mass may not be until 11 or noon or later. And of course we take advantage of daily evening Masses when we can find them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@rosiexamanda I have also found this to be an issue, both in France and Spain.

Most churches closed during the day and no apparent notice board for mass (for or vespers / compline as at the abbey at Conques) is a problem.

But one of my enduring memories is being at the regular parish weekday mass at 20h at Najera. As the pilgrims were being called forward for a blessing the parishioners were preparing to leave. And the one closest to me (an older woman), in the guise of shaking my hand in farewell, pressed a 1 Euro coin into my hand. While the amount was not great I looked earnestly at her to discern her intentions. She smiled so I grasped both her hands in mine and smiled back hopefully showing I understood her outward and visible sign of support and the inward and spiritual grace that she bestowed with her smile.

One of my more unusual attempts to attend mass on a Sunday was on Nov. 1, 2015. I was sitting in a restaurant near the bridge at Hospital de Orbigo a few minutes before 11 am enjoying second breakfast when I heard church bells ringing. I abandoned the remains of my meal and headed for the church at a gallop, thinking that I would, unexpectedly, be able to attend mass on All Saints Day. As I approached the sound of the bells, I saw a number of men standing near a church door and at first thought that the men, as at a previous church I attended (see post #3, above) were not attending the service but only waiting outside until the service was over. But these men were in black dress suits. Then I saw the hearse. I soon realized that a funeral which had been taking place was over and the congregation was leaving the church. I withdrew and went to take photos of the famous bridge. A few moments later, I was walking across the bridge when the priest, crucifer, candle bearers preceding the hearse, followed by the congregation, headed across the bridge close behind me. I am frequently a crucifer at my own church, and felt that I had somehow got to the head of this processsion, in my walking clothes and with a pilgrim's staff instead of a crucifix. A few moments later, the procession went down a side ramp. I continued to the end of the bridge, where I said a prayer and crossed myself, as a proper conclusion to my participation in this ceremony.

We found that we were able to attend the pilgrim mass many, many evenings. Smaller villages didn't have priests available, those churches weren't uaually open at all, and no masses either. The pilgrim masses were really great though and we're very meaningful to us. Buen camino! Have a great pilgrimage!

As a rule of thumb weekday masses will be in the evening and Sunday masses around midday, depending on the number of parishes a priest has. A good source is http://www.misas.org which has also bilingual mass orders in PDF form here http://www.misas.org/docs/ordinario-idiomas

Buen Camino, SY

PS Not only (Roman) Catholics go to mass, this Anglican also ...

Lol, good one. Without offending against forum rules hopefully: The word catholic means universal, so you have Roman-Catholics, Anglo-Catholics and a whole other bunch of universal catholics who, at least imo, will happily meet up again on the heavenly caminos after earthly life is done. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a rule of thumb weekday masses will be in the evening and Sunday masses around midday, depending on the number of parishes a priest has. A good source is http://www.misas.org which has also bilingual mass orders in PDF form here http://www.misas.org/docs/ordinario-idiomas

Buen Camino, SY

PS Not only (Roman) Catholics go to mass, this Anglican also ...
I attended a number of masses with my walking companion who was an Anglican priest and US army combat chaplain. He taught me about St Ignatius and the breath prayer and I still use the method as I walk. He was just the same size as me but a giant of a man. I loved this guy like a brother

I attended a number of masses with my walking companion who was an Anglican priest and US army combat chaplain. He taught me about St Ignatius and the breath prayer and I still use the method as I walk. He was just the same size as me but a giant of a man. I loved this guy like a brother
How can I find the breath prayer please? That sounds wonderful

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As regards disparity of cult, and as the Catholic Church usually regards the issue, I am oft reminded of the documented conversation between the late Pope (now Saint) John Paul II and the Dalai Lama, in Rome some decades ago. I am paraphrasing, as I do not have the exact quotations in front of me, but the question and answer between these two spiritual giants was reported to have gone like this:

Dalai Lama: "Is it correct that the Catholic Church teaches that only Catholics can get to Heaven?"

Pope JP II: "Who am I do judge? I do not know everything. It is true that the Church states as official dogma that the faithful can achieve Heaven. But, the route to the top of the mountain has many paths. We do believe and teach that ours is the most direct and true path. But there certainly could be others. All people who follow the essential teachings of goodness and practice charitable works are most likely welcomed by the One God we all worship."

There was more to the exchange, but this is the "meat of the matter." I know this is not the verbatim transcript. But I am very certain that the conversation took place. I have read about it several times, but not recently. If someone has a citation, please chip in.

The operative point, with regards to non-Catholics participating in the Catholic Mass is that ALL ARE WELCOME. While it is true that official Church rules state that only practicing Catholics, not in a state of mortal sin, and who are in "full-communion" with the Church's teachings may receive Holy Communion, I can tell you categorically there are many, many Anglicans, Episcopalians and others who participate in the Sacrament. While a purist Catholic might consider this sacrilegious, I regard it as a high-sign of respect. Who am I to judge what is in a person's heart? Also, as regards the Camino, with religious services, especially very closely related ceremonies, so few and far removed...and as my UK friends usually observe..."needs must..."

This is true both at home, and on Camino. To paraphrase the words of the great John Paul II to the Dalai Lama, "...who am I to judge?"

I hope this helps.

The operative point, with regards to non-Catholics participating in the Catholic Mass is that ALL ARE WELCOME. While it is true that official Church rules state that only practicing Catholics, not in a state of mortal sin, and who are in "full-communion" with the Church's teachings may receive Holy Communion, I can tell you categorically there are many, many Anglicans, Episcopalians and others who participate in the Sacrament. While a purist Catholic might consider this sacrilegious, I regard it as a high-sign of respect. Who am I to judge what is in a person's heart? Also, as regards the Camino, with religious services, especially very closely related ceremonies, so few and far removed...and as my UK friends usually observe..."needs must..."

This is true both at home, and on Camino. To paraphrase the words of the great John Paul II to the Dalai Lama, "...who am I to judge?"
I'm not sure what a "purist Catholic" implies, but I'm quite sure I don't match the definition I'm inferring. I would, however, consider myself to be a faithful Catholic, and I'm quite sure the "who am I to judge" paraphrase cannot be taken as a universal principle to apply to the entire body of teachings. Moreover, having read a great many of John Paul II's writing, I do not believe he would have applied it to the case of reception of the Eucharist.

To be clear, notwithstanding the paraphrased anecdote, the Roman Catholic church welcomes all to participate in the Mass, but it also reserves the reception of the Eucharist to those in full communion with the Church. While this is not enforced (nor is it enforceable), the principle is clear and unambiguous---celebrating the fullest expression of communion requires a real measure of actual communion.

I'll leave it at that, lest I be the cause of the moderators shutting the thread down.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I specifically had Ut Unum Sint, which I consider one of John Paul II's more extraordinary documents, in mind in my response. In UUS, John Paul II specifically addresses both the inherent desire of many of the Christian faithful for restoration of communion as expressed in the Eucharist table (something we see along the Camino), and the gaps that must still be addressed to realize full Eucharistic communion. In there he speaks firsthand of several encounters---including a Lutheran bishop coming up at Communion to receive a blessing instead of the host---as an expression and celebration of the partial communion that presently exists. It's a beautiful view of the ideal end state without downplaying or wishing away the current divisions that must necessarily be faced for real communion rather than the pretense of communion.

Having said that, I think we've wandered far from the actual question of the OP, which I think has been previously answered.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How can I find the breath prayer please?
I had ot look it up too, Rosie Amanda. Here's another link in addition to the ones Mspath and koilife posted above:
https://godinallthings.com/2014/04/07/slow-prayer/
Having said that, I think we've wandered far from the actual question of the OP, which I think has been previously answered.
But it's an interesting discussion. kiolife, I'm sending you a PM, because to continue further here would be to close the thread down.

But it's an interesting discussion. kiolife, I'm sending you a PM, because to continue further here would be to close the thread down.
ROFL! I'm surprised it hasn't been already.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yeah, heaven forbid one discusses religion on a forum dedicated to a religious pilgrimage.....:D
Let me see if I can find a fishing forum where nobody discusses rod and reels.. :D
From the forum rules . . .
2) No discussions on religion, bull fights , sports and politics. These topics "always" end in a fight, so let's not go there. It is true that the Camino and religion is closely related, so some leeway will be given.

I've never seen rods and reels produce the same level or virulence of conflict (though perhaps fly versus lure in certain circles comes close). If we collectively possessed the capacity to disagree with respect, there would be no need for the rule.

From the forum rules . . .
2) No discussions on religion, bull fights , sports and politics. These topics "always" end in a fight, so let's not go there. It is true that the Camino and religion is closely related, so some leeway will be given.

I've never seen rods and reels produce the same level or virulence of conflict (though perhaps fly versus lure in certain circles comes close). If we collectively possessed the capacity to disagree with respect, there would be no need for the rule.
Ha ha...thanks
I can honestly say I never read the forum rules, but was vaguely aware of some type of protocol on here. Not that it would stop me from running my mouth (fingertips?) anyway....:D

Discussions about religious questions have been fine in the past, fighting/arguing about them not. A fine line to tip-toe but not impossible as previous threads have shown. If we keep to an exchange of information and refrain from voicing opinions we should be fine. Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
?? (Sorry, Koilife, I'm not up on text slang...)

Discussions about religious questions have been fine in the past, fighting/arguing about them not...If we keep to an exchange of information and refrain from voicing opinions we should be fine.
And I know we can...this is actually an interesting discussion, even though it departs a bit form the OP's question. Honestly--from the outside, I'm very glad to better understand my brothers and sisters within the Catholic Church, because it means a lot on the Camino and it's a mystery to me. (And koilife and I are having a very good dialog, in PM-space, too...)

As stated above, The Camino Chaplaincy, the same folks who bring you 10.30 a.m. daily Mass in English at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, is extending the service again this summer to Terradillos de Templarios and Moratinos, out on the Meseta (where I live) and also this year to the mountain-top shrine at O Cebreiro.
The Meseta services began on 18 May with Marist priest Patrick Brophy of New Zealand presiding. We pick up willing pilgrims from the albergues in Moratinos and take them in the car to Terradillos, where Fr. Pat rounds up the souls there. We ring the bells at 5.30 p.m., and usually about 25 people attend, so far.
Each morning we open the church at Moratinos, 3 km. on from Terradillos, so pilgrims can stop in and have a word with the priest or a moment of reflection if they like... or just a nice sello like the one on the left.
Our priests are volunteers, so we have to schedule the Masses around their availability. The Terradillos Masses will continue until 6 June, then stop until another arrives in July. We'll have daily Mass right through July and August and maybe into September!

Masses are tough to find out here, but in market towns like Castrojeriz, Carrion, Fromista, Sahagun, and Mansilla you will often get lucky if you check out the local convents and monasteries. They have Mass every single day, usually early in the morning, and they always have a chapel where laypeople can worship with them -- even the enclosed orders.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! God bless

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
?? (Sorry, Koilife, I'm not up on text slang...)

And I know we can...this is actually an interesting discussion, even though it departs a bit form the OP's question. Honestly--from the outside, I'm very glad to better understand my brothers and sisters within the Catholic Church, because it means a lot on the Camino and it's a mystery to me. (And koilife and I are having a very good dialog, in PM-space, too...)
ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing. And, yes, it is a wonderful dialog, and it would have been banned almost immediately!

As stated above, The Camino Chaplaincy, the same folks who bring you 10.30 a.m. daily Mass in English at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, is extending the service again this summer to Terradillos de Templarios and Moratinos, out on the Meseta (where I live) and also this year to the mountain-top shrine at O Cebreiro.
Each morning we open the church at Moratinos, 3 km. on from Terradillos, so pilgrims can stop in and have a word with the priest or a moment of reflection if they like... or just a nice sello like the one on the left.
Our priests are volunteers, so we have to schedule the Masses around their availability. The Terradillos Masses will continue until 6 June, then stop until another arrives in July. We'll have daily Mass right through July and August and maybe into September!.
I think this is absolutely wonderful, and a great spiritual work mercy to those of us who do not speak Spanish. Are the priests available for Confession as well?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Perhaps I have become more relaxed in my advancing age. But, having experienced many of the world's larger religions, I am struck more by the similarities than the differences.

This Forum exists for people to share differing viewpoints and opinions about all maters, Camino-related. Sometimes that relationship is indirect. I do not object to being disagreed with, even vehemently, as long as the retorts are not personally directed, towards a poster or a specific demographic group. THAT, I suspect is what annoys the moderators.

So, if you are going to disagree to the point of being mildly accusatory or perhaps even insulting (in some moderator's opinion) think twice and choose your words VERY carefully. If you stop to think about it, it is possible to get your point across using a different, perhaps oblique choice of words that nonetheless convey your meaning, yet without being obviously problematic for the moderators.

Also, I do not dispute, and as a "cradle Catholic," personally observe Catholic dogma and teachings. So, I will not dispute or debate those teachings here. However, I have personally adopted the "judge, lest ye be judged" Camino rule regarding most aspects of religious practices, especially along the Camino. I also try to rely on this non-judgmental approach in matters of daily life.

I hope this helps.

How can I find the breath prayer please? That sounds wonderful
Rosie, You make it up yourself. You address God in however you like on the intake of breath then make your prayer on the breath out. For instance, when climbing a hill I will say on the intake, My Lord and My God, then as I breath out I say, Give me strength. Repeated over and over with your breathing it is a prayer but also a regulation of your breathing. Worked for St Ignatius :)

Perfect, thank you Sir!

What @tpmchugh describes is actually a much older prayer practice than St. Ignatius and isn't actually the breath prayer taught by Ignatius (see my post above with a link to Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises description of the breath prayer).

@tpmchugh's prayer is actually called aspirational prayer because it can be prayed with a single breath, and repeated continually. The Jesus Prayer is a famous example (see The Way of the Pilgrim). The earliest form that I've seen is John Cassian (4th century) recommending ceaseless repetition of "God, come to my assistance. Lord, make haste to help me;" the first half while breathing in, the second while breathing out. This last may be especially helpful for struggling pilgrims.

What @tpmchugh describes is actually a much older prayer practice than St. Ignatius and isn't actually the breath prayer taught by Ignatius (see my post above with a link to Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises description of the breath prayer).

@tpmchugh's prayer is actually called aspirational prayer because it can be prayed with a single breath, and repeated continually. The Jesus Prayer is a famous example (see The Way of the Pilgrim). The earliest form that I've seen is John Cassian (4th century) recommending ceaseless repetition of "God, come to my assistance. Lord, make haste to help me;" the first half while breathing in, the second while breathing out. This last may be especially helpful for struggling pilgrims.
Perfect thank you so much

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back