• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying a guidebook in Bilbao?

Peregrino44

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014) Finisterre (2014)
Hi Everyone,

I just ordered the Cicerone Camino Del Norte guidebook online and am unsure how long it will take to get to me in the States. I leave for the Camino in a month, and also wanted to buy the Editorial Buen Camino: Camino del Norte Guidebook (Spanish), but am afraid it won't get here in time.

I do not need to study the guidebook prior to my departure, and was wondering if I don't receive the Cicerone guidebook in time, and do not order the Editorial Buen Camino Guidebook, would it be possible to buy them in a bookstore in Bilbao (where I am starting)?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a bookstore that would cater to a pilgrim's guidebook needs?

I imagine the guidebooks are available in Bilbao, because I remember the Brierley guidebooks being in many bookstores along the Frances.

Thank you everyone!!

Peregrino44

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
WestKirsty are you doing the North part of the camino? I will be flying in to Bilbao June 9th, trying to decided if I should spend a day there sight seeing. Im also wondering if I should do the North rout since Im already in that area or go ahead and start at SJPDP.
Buen Camino!

WestKirsty are you doing the North part of the camino? I will be flying in to Bilbao June 9th, trying to decided if I should spend a day there sight seeing. Im also wondering if I should do the North rout since Im already in that area or go ahead and start at SJPDP.
Buen Camino!

Hi Liliya,

I am going to do the Northern route this summer though it will be my first Camino. I had also debated between which route to take, but once I moved to Bilbao (I've been teaching English here since September) I knew the northern route was for me. The coast has become my second home and I want to explore more of it.

Bilbao is a pretty great city if you have time to have a look around. The Old Town is fun to wander through and of course there's the Guggenheim museum if you're a fan of modern art. If the weather's nice, there are some nice beaches you can access on the metro (20-30 minutes away).

Just let me know if you have any specific Bilbao questions :)

Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Liliya,

I am going to do the Northern route this summer though it will be my first Camino. I had also debated between which route to take, but once I moved to Bilbao (I've been teaching English here since September) I knew the northern route was for me. The coast has become my second home and I want to explore more of it.

Bilbao is a pretty great city if you have time to have a look around. The Old Town is fun to wander through and of course there's the Guggenheim museum if you're a fan of modern art. If the weather's nice, there are some nice beaches you can access on the metro (20-30 minutes away).

Just let me know if you have any specific Bilbao questions :)

Buen camino!

Hello WestKirsty,
Thank you for your response. I am so excited to hear that you live there. I just hope that I don't bombard you with questions and make you wish you never responded. =) There is nothing better then talking to a local. Will you be walking or cycling your first camino?

So I still have a little time to think about the route but in the meant time I have decided to spend the first day in Bilbao and check it out. I have read some posts about people purposely flying to see Bilbao and I will be there already so why not spend a day. What would you say is a must see? Where would you recommend I stay? If you only had a day to spend there, knowing what you know now, what would you do?

No worries about questions! Feel free to send me a PM if you want more specific information etc.

As for where to stay, I'd suggest anywhere central (look for walking distance to the Guggenheim or the old town and you'd be fine). For a city of this size, it's very walk-able and the public transportation system is excellent.

If you have one day there I'd suggest checking out the Guggenheim and the area surrounding. There's a lovely river walk/places to sit and enjoy a coffee etc. Unless you're a modern art fan, I wouldn't suggest going in as it is quite pricey (13 euros) and the outside is the most spectacular part. Then I'd head to the Old Town and have a wander around. Definitely check out Plaza Nueva and enjoy some Pintxos (tasty little appetizers you buy at all the bars. Just look and see which ones you want, point them out and enjoy!) and txakoli (pronounced "chakoli"), the local wine.

If the weather is nice, you can also head up the funicular to see some great views of the city and out over the water in the distance (http://www.bilbaoturismo.net/BilbaoTurismo/en/sustainable-transport/artxanda-funicular).

If the weather's wet (it rains a lot here) there are a couple of good museums in the Old Town that are inexpensive (3 euros each).

Enjoy Bilbao when you get here! And again, feel free to PM me if you have more questions :)

Buen camino!
K

No worries about questions! Feel free to send me a PM if you want more specific information etc.

As for where to stay, I'd suggest anywhere central (look for walking distance to the Guggenheim or the old town and you'd be fine). For a city of this size, it's very walk-able and the public transportation system is excellent.

If you have one day there I'd suggest checking out the Guggenheim and the area surrounding. There's a lovely river walk/places to sit and enjoy a coffee etc. Unless you're a modern art fan, I wouldn't suggest going in as it is quite pricey (13 euros) and the outside is the most spectacular part. Then I'd head to the Old Town and have a wander around. Definitely check out Plaza Nueva and enjoy some Pintxos (tasty little appetizers you buy at all the bars. Just look and see which ones you want, point them out and enjoy!) and txakoli (pronounced "chakoli"), the local wine.

If the weather is nice, you can also head up the funicular to see some great views of the city and out over the water in the distance (http://www.bilbaoturismo.net/BilbaoTurismo/en/sustainable-transport/artxanda-funicular).

If the weather's wet (it rains a lot here) there are a couple of good museums in the Old Town that are inexpensive (3 euros each).

Enjoy Bilbao when you get here! And again, feel free to PM me if you have more questions :)

Buen camino!
K

Thank you again, I'm sure that I will come up with more questions soon but for now I got my answer. I am not sure how to PM someone on this forum, sorry. I will try to figure out. =) thank you again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you're in Bilbao, I would recommend the Bellas Artes, the Basque art gallery just to the south of the Guggenheim by a few hundred metres--- lots of stuff from the 1880s on, mainly Spanish and Basque artists, and worth the visit.

If you're in Bilbao, I would recommend the Bellas Artes, the Basque art gallery just to the south of the Guggenheim by a few hundred metres--- lots of stuff from the 1880s on, mainly Spanish and Basque artists, and worth the visit.
A combination ticket of Guggenheim + Bellas Artes is 16Euro and valid at different days. Note the Guggenheim is closed on mondays and Bellas Artes on tuesdays.
The museums are open till 8 PM, so 1 in the evening and 1 the next morning. (check the websites for temp exhibitions. Guggenheim:http://www.guggenheim-bilbao.es/en/exhibitions/ )

The old town Casco Viego around the Catedral de Santiago is nice in the afternoon/evening. Also along the river you will find enough locals, tourists and joggers.
Bon camino, Gerald

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.