• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is VDLP ?

Bjarni Andersen

Time of past OR future Camino
CF
I'm leaving to go to the camino for the second time this Wednesday, but I haven't decided which route to take yet. Seeing that people say the Frances is really busy this year I was wondering how busy the other routes were. Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have been the hospitelero at the muninciple albergue in Salamanca this past week and have had between 4 and 18 pilgrims at night.

I'm leaving to go to the camino for the second time this Wednesday, but I haven't decided which route to take yet. Seeing that people say the Frances is really busy this year I was wondering how busy the other routes were. Thanks.
As

I don't know about the VDLP but the Madrid route was wonderfully quiet with plenty of beds once past Cercedilla. A beautiful route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know about the VDLP but the Madrid route was wonderfully quiet with plenty of beds once past Cercedilla. A beautiful route.
Annie this might be an odd question but what are the start and end points of the 'Madrid' route? I'm not familiar with it. Thanks. Maggie

I'd be interested to hear from anyone on the VDLP at the moment. Is there a grand race on for beds, are people madly booking beds ahead or has it quietened down a bit from last month? Am fully recovered now after major feet problems but am thinking of returning to Aldeanueva de Camino and carrying on to Santiago from there in a week. I need warmer and sunnier weather than the Midlands!

Oh for the Camino Madrid again! I think I will do that route again next year!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In SdC now after walking the VdlP. No big crush at all although a few more people than I expected. There were clearly a couple of bubbles but I just walked through those as I tend to well about 30 kms a day. Only real issue was Caceres and Canaveral as the accommodation in between was closed which caused a bottle neck. As always there is more accommodation than shown in the guides and at more locations.

With all the hype going on about the CF, I am drawn to change my route to VDLP instead. I plan to do Seville to SdC. Was a bit concerned if it will be too quiet and secluded for a lone woman pilgrim but reading all your good feedbacks, I am feeling more optimistic about this route. I am also intrigued by the more abundance of history and old cathedrals on this route. Am planning to commence early to mid June 2016. I come from the tropical climate and can adapt well with heat and rain.

I would like to seek kind advise from you experienced pilgrims. In terms of necessities i.e. things to bring, will this route require anything different from that of the CF as it will me my first pilgrimage and I have prepared according to recommendations for the CF. I still have time to make some modifications, in case required. Thanks in advance.

In terms of necessities i.e. things to bring, will this route require anything different from that of the CF as it will me my first pilgrimage and I have prepared according to recommendations for the CF. I still have time to make some modifications, in case required. Thanks in advance.

I don't know when you're walking the VdlP, I walked it in June/July. The only change I made was to bring...an umbrella! It was as protection against the heat really, my own portable shade when there wasn't any.... It worked perfectly.
I therefore didn't bring my trusted rain gear (poncho).
Otherwise no changes, I never walk without my sleeping bag (but that's just me...) nor a fleece (and I needed it in and around Salamanca when the weather turned cold).
Buen camino :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know when you're walking the VdlP, I walked it in June/July. The only change I made was to bring...an umbrella! It was as protection against the heat really, my own portable shade when there wasn't any.... It worked perfectly.
I therefore didn't bring my trusted rain gear (poncho).
Otherwise no changes, I never walk without my sleeping bag (but that's just me...) nor a fleece (and I needed it in and around Salamanca when the weather turned cold).
Buen camino :)

Thank you. That is useful information. I appreciate it. Buen Camino!

From experience on the Plata in July I would HIGHLY recommend a water bladder of at least 2 liters.

I leave from Sevilla on June 17th but will only be walking 2 weeks.

Happy preparing and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Most places have been approaching full-ish but no race. We are currently a group of 8 family members so if we weren't here there would really be no problem!
We were the only ones who stopped at Aldeo del Cano, but then Valdesalor filled up completely (though there were also private lodgings available)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It wasn't busy at all in February/March and, more importantly not one hospitalero told me that there was ever a pilgrim in town that couldn't find a bed in past years. The most pilgrims I heard of were in Zafra (2 albergues) and the hospitalero of one told me that in all the years his albergue is open he only filled up every single bed (23 beds in total) one or two times. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back