• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

dreadful walk,awful people,

I know you don't like cyclists, but is this any way to treat a fellow peregrino? (Me, lonesome, at Oseira; bunks full of WALKERS, with dirty boots. Note the damp floor. Such misery. !)View attachment 25752

@Peregrinopaul:
How did you merit such luxurious accommodation? That mattress is twice the thickness of the mats that I slept on in a couple of albergues. And you have a private space, without another pilgrim's mat shoved up against yours. You did very well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Peregrinopaul:
How did you merit such luxurious accommodation? That mattress is twice the thickness of the mats that I slept on in a couple of albergues. And you have a private space, without another pilgrim's mat shoved up against yours. You did very well.
Don't tell anybody, but I loved it.

Yeah I agree with the OP.. There is so much attraction and hype about walking the Camino. I don't know why people bother to suffer the long trek, blisters, the cramped spaces in albergues, the roncadores, the heat and all the inconvenience. And I most certainly cannot comprehend why I have just booked my airline ticket for my 3rd Pilgrimage!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
terrible place the camino frances, just the worst people,awful food,no views to mention, thats my plan to stem the flow and help prevent the need to prebook a bed.,,simple, really bear with me ! instead of coming home raving about the wonderful views ,amazing people that changed your life and the camino ,camino ,camino that we all do ,spread the word that its a dreadful place and DO NOT tell anybody
that you will go back at the first chance you get !and DO NOT tell them that you still have your bag half packed just in case?who is on board ? it might not be too late,,,,

I am leaving Cape Town in 5 days time to walk again. I'm now regretting it. Why am I such a masochist?

I leave for the Camino Frances in 9 days. I must admit, some of the posts over the last few days have scared me a little, especially the one about the Hospitalero who threw the packs down on the floor and yelled "leave, leave!!" I am scared that some of the Camino veterans might have posted rave reviews of the Camino, just so we "newbies" will go and suffer as they have suffered. (Just kidding!) The other one that scared me was someone posted something about "There will be pain, and there will be plenty of time to think about it" :( I feel I am ready for the refining fire of the Camino and will come out of this stronger and more confident, with some of my sharp edges burnished away. It's time to "put on my big girl panties" and get on with it.:D

Hi Joodle, I walked half of the camino with my son a couple of weeks back. The only pain I suffered was blisters, my boots were well broken in too. Take some Vaseline, and I heard that women's knee high stockings under socks helps with friction. In the end I bought some tevas sandals which were a great back up. We also stayed in the less popular villages (as in not the ones mentioned in the guide books stages) . Enjoy !

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Joodle, I walked half of the camino with my son a couple of weeks back. The only pain I suffered was blisters, my boots were well broken in too. Take some Vaseline, and I heard that women's knee high stockings under socks helps with friction. In the end I bought some tevas sandals which were a great back up. We also stayed in the less popular villages (as in not the ones mentioned in the guide books stages) . Enjoy !
i might just go ahead and wear my Teva hiking sandals in the rain and save my shoes, so I don't have to bring my Keen hiking boots.

What about that awful inn keeper who picked us all up from the Way, put us up for the night, fed us a wonderful dinner, and then returned us to our same walking spot the next morning. And then absolutely refused money for the ride and had the nerve to give us a gift. Some people!

What about that awful inn keeper who picked us all up from the Way, put us up for the night, fed us a wonderful dinner, and then returned us to our same walking spot the next morning. And then absolutely refused money for the ride and had the nerve to give us a gift. Some people!
Shocking!

I also read about another inn keeper who got his tractor out in a blizzard to go down O Cebriero to pick up some peregrinos who were slogging through the snow, and he brought them up the mountain for shelter. People should be left out in the elements to fend for themselves; it toughens them up! Sheeeesh!

Yeah, I came across one of those too. Appalling. Had the cheek to give us a warm omelette sandwich to take for our second breakfast! Simply outrageous, I'm still traumatised by it all...

What a jerk!!!!! ;) :p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
terrible place the camino frances, just the worst people,awful food,no views to mention, thats my plan to stem the flow and help prevent the need to prebook a bed.,,simple, really bear with me ! instead of coming home raving about the wonderful views ,amazing people that changed your life and the camino ,camino ,camino that we all do ,spread the word that its a dreadful place and DO NOT tell anybody that you will go back at the first chance you get !and DO NOT tell them that you still have your bag half packed just in case?who is on board ? it might not be too late,,,,

What are you talking about? Were you after a hotel? Did you come in peak time's? Did you not try to communicate with locals and other pilgrims? I'm in puento le arenas and I'm walking alone. I've found great groups of people to walk with and each town locals are hospitable and kind. The countryside is also great..it all depends on your character and how open you are. What the he'll did you expect?

I am sitting in Cizur Menor as I write this. Life is bloody awful. I think the sun might burn my nose if I don't turn around. Everyone here is speaking Spanish! You would not believe how many Spaniards are here!

Pamplona had so many cafes I think I may have even gained weight on this first bit.

For a while there I was worried that we might not find beds at night but now I am in an alburgue that has turtles in a pond out back. Now I worry one might bite my toes off while I sleep tonight.

You really don't want to do this. I mean , really, who walks anywhere these days? No one that's who and there's a reason for that!
love your message,tough it out my friend,, it will be over soon, however it will i am afraid to say to you in these difficult days that it WILL do lasting damage,your life will never be quite the same,,;)
I am sitting in Cizur Menor as I write this. Life is bloody awful. I think the sun might burn my nose if I don't turn around. Everyone here is speaking Spanish! You would not believe how many Spaniards are here!

Pamplona had so many cafes I think I may have even gained weight on this first bit.

For a while there I was worried that we might not find beds at night but now I am in an alburgue that has turtles in a pond out back. Now I worry one might bite my toes off while I sleep tonight.

You really don't want to do this. I mean , really, who walks anywhere these days? No one that's who and there's a reason for that!

Yeah I agree with the OP.. There is so much attraction and hype about walking the Camino. I don't know why people bother to suffer the long trek, blisters, the cramped spaces in albergues, the roncadores, the heat and all the inconvenience. And I most certainly cannot comprehend why I have just booked my airline ticket for my 3rd Pilgrimage!
oh you crazy foolhardy devil !i will admit just between us that i have also booked tickets , going in early june with some family, not for pleasure u understand,,:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What are you talking about? Were you after a hotel? Did you come in peak time's? Did you not try to communicate with locals and other pilgrims? I'm in puento le arenas and I'm walking alone. I've found great groups of people to walk with and each town locals are hospitable and kind. The countryside is also great..it all depends on your character and how open you are. What the he'll did you expect?
reread my post,:rolleyes:and you may find a little of my odd sense of humour ?,buen camino

Are we having fun yet? I know I am! This am around 01:30 half dozen middle aged revelers came into the Albergue singing Germanic drinking songs as the came up the stairs. They all kicked off their stinking boots and left them in the pathway next to the head of my bunk. They leaned their wooden sticks against the wall and stumbled to their bunks. After the snoring commenced,I had to go to the facilities and accidentally knocked all of the wooden staves to the floor,and as I tripped over someone's boots nearly falling myself. The racket of the sticks falling was enough to stop the snoring opera for a brief time. On my return to my bunk I placed the odorous foot wear throughout the room at various locals. I don't think the shoes were all paired appropriately because of the early hour. As they all got up before daylight,there was quite a discussion amongst them trying to find matching boots in the dark. I call this the Camino Easter egg hunt. Luckily the place was not full, but fun was had by all. I look at this type of behavior as an opportunity to have fun,which I did! Remember, the Camino provides.
This will make a good chapter in the book of EL Guapo.
so funny:Di can picture the mess in morning trying to find matching boots,,in very loud whispers ,,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you can tell me where you found a place on the camino where there is no toilet paper, I shall go there to take a photo as a souvenir on my next time through, that is, if it is still in that pristine condition.
I was showing some camino pictures recently and there was one with a giant stack of hay bales. Peg said "Remember all the toilet paper behind them?" Well, I hadn't but now I don't think I'll be able to forget it again, darn it.
D06800-HOR.jpg

Last edited:
now its people like this that have the way in the state it is,,,"kind and generous "we need to put a stop to it asap!!its almost like they are plotting for a better world for every one ,like it just takes being nice to each other ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ivar sends out an email each week on the most popular threads for the week. Been a while since I logged on. The top thread was "dreadful walk, awful people". The first words that leapt to mind was oh sh..t and other more choice words followed. I have yet to do my camino - doing it in the fall and all I could think was this person really is having a horrible time. What the hell am I doing? IS it too late to cancel my flight get my money back, change my trip to lie on a beach somewhere drinking rum drinks... I read the post and the others that followed and my fear was replaced by laughter, my unease with courage and determination. Reading posts from folks about being called, not once, twice , thrice and in some cases more to subject themselves to repeated pain, inconsiderate people etc. had me laughing again. Because I am being called too. It is quite possible we may all be called ...called stupid by some. But I am looking forward to joining the club. I hope... (ok so I have a little trepidation left as doing this on my own) :)
sorry to have given you a scare, but delighted that you got my humour, quite honestly i think you will have a wonderful time,{difficult not to}you will find people to walk and talk with so dont worry about starting alone,BUT remember dont come back telling everyone else :D

Another bout of Pergatory for me starting next week. Penance again. Sighs. If only I could find somewhere else to walk.
oh you poor thing,being the kind person i am, i could offer to take your place?but i suspect i might be told to take a hike ?!?!:)

Too late. It was working until people asked-"Then why do you talk about it all the time and why are you going back next week?"
tell them you have been bad and are doing penance ?:) I am catholic so that could work for me ?;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please read the beginning of the thread! ;)
thanks,u know any one that knows me would
Jennie you have read my mind.
Ps..I'm just back from Herbertstown. Took in the Ballyhoura mountains and Lough Gur! :)
hi, david,lough gur is a pretty spot,and i was out on sunday near kilfinane which is i am sure you know a small village with some lovely forest walks,first time out in ages,but need to get a few walks in as heading out for 10 days in early june,,oh my god i am so unfit !!:eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, it is too late !! You are doomed and so help you God !!
But never you fret , you will live through it and have a ball, and we look forward to your punchline to this crazy thread !!
Now go get !!

My peeps already know that I am often a very bad boy so that probably wouldn't work. I leave for Oporto in 4 hours. Bom Camino
ok bad one :) buen camino ,,enjoy yourself , and if your folks have not already said it "be good and if you cant be good then be careful" look forward to hearing of your adventures.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Someone asked about gargoyles on the VdlP. I'm there right now but the water is so high it's hard to tell if there are any lying around. It's been raining for six days straight and none of my friends will be coming to clog the way!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Peregrinopaul:
..matress ..we would dream of matresses.....we had plastic liners for matress when I was young on the road..
Tell that to to the young peopl of teday and they wouldn't believe you...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was showing some camino pictures recently and there was one with a giant stack of hay bales. Peg said "Remember all the toilet paper behind them?" Well, I hadn't but now I don't think I'll be able to forget it again, darn it.
View attachment 25795

Try to think positively . . . . . . . like how much better everyone felt as they came from behind those hay bales.

I wish I could say this is a funny thread but is actually very realistic. So very much that I began to hate the Caminos, the nature, colors, language, people, food, it's just ghastly beyond belief. Therefore I decided to go to Spain once more and stomp fiercly on that Spanish soil over and over and over again and mercilessly hurt that damn dirt tracks with all of my 95 kilos and 10 kilos backpack. And with every step I want to punish it even more with my walking poles until I get to the Atlantic.

What a satisfaction that will be :mad:
excellent reply,,so much so that i too feel driven to again stomp on those tracks and trails in only a couple of weeks time,,,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
excellent reply,,so much so that i too feel driven to again stomp on those tracks and trails in only a couple of weeks time,,,
And which one would that be, Jennie?

I'm already through four days of stomping :)

too funny. Yes I looked in the Catholic catalogue for self-inflicting pain tools. Flagellants and scourges were all sold out but there was a special on caminos. They also had a buy two get third free...

Were the flights included (must be really desparate for customers) if it's so bad ???:(

And which one would that be, Jennie?

I'm already through four days of stomping :)
where are you now ?hope you are having fun,and i am going AGAIN to spain my sis n bro and my mum n dad,,dad has done a couple of stages and mum bless her has listened to hours ,days and months of camino this that n the rest,so she quietly said when we discussed going again that she thought she could do it !hope to start in or around Pamalona,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
where are you now ?hope you are having fun,and i am going AGAIN to spain my sis n bro and my mum n dad,,dad has done a couple of stages and mum bless her has listened to hours ,days and months of camino this that n the rest,so she quietly said when we discussed going again that she thought she could do it !hope to start in or around Pamalona,
In Vitoria-Gasteiz today and plan to be in Burgos on Friday :)

terrible place the camino frances, just the worst people,awful food,no views to mention, thats my plan to stem the flow and help prevent the need to prebook a bed.,,simple, really bear with me ! instead of coming home raving about the wonderful views ,amazing people that changed your life and the camino ,camino ,camino that we all do ,spread the word that its a dreadful place and DO NOT tell anybody that you will go back at the first chance you get !and DO NOT tell them that you still have your bag half packed just in case?who is on board ? it might not be too late,,,,

Seafoid

I have to say that I do not appreciate this whole thread, even in jest.... Hopefully, it has been shut down
You just brought it back to life, and thousands of people around the world are now reviewing it.

Am on the Frances route at Leon this very moment. I have one blister which is under control and a nagging pain in my left thigh. The gap between my big toe and its neighbour feels odd due to use of flip-flops when not actually hiking. I am one of the better pilgrims health wise. I have passed many people that are walking like cripples and one walking partner ( a girl in her early20s) has already quit with a burst knee. As has already been reported another pilgrim collapsed and died en route. There are many people that fall by the way side.
I shared a coffee with a lovely young girl from Surrey who said she was considering quitting because although she liked walking doing it constantly was no joy. She wasn't too keen on being turfed out of the Albergues every morning by 8 o'clock either.
Even using industrial standard earplugs And my buff to deaden the noise generated by theunbelievable number of snorers getting a good nights sleep is a real achievement.
Every word I have written is true. Other Camino veterans will verify my experiences.
Still wanna do it?

Oh YES!

There was a series of days towards the end where I felt like I had really made the wrong decision. I found myself hanging out with a couple that were comparing the Norte to the Frances, and complaining bitterly and loudly about the disappointment. I called them Joy Thieves and I started to resent the theft of the joy and wonder along the Camino - I realized I could battle them off...

I started writing out every beautiful moment I had experience in explicit detail. There were lots. Pages. And my spirit soared!

I am sure I could also have done the opposite - write out the discomfort and miserable moments. And I would have plummeted to the depth of despair and misery.

There are very good things and very bad things that happen along the Way. If we are lucky, we can find a way to embrace the good things and let those memories float in our consciousness. If we are not so lucky... well that is a thing too and its ok to be disappointed or unhappy. I just wish the best for all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh YES!

There was a series of days towards the end where I felt like I had really made the wrong decision. I found myself hanging out with a couple that were comparing the Norte to the Frances, and complaining bitterly and loudly about the disappointment. I called them Joy Thieves and I started to resent the theft of the joy and wonder along the Camino - I realized I could battle them off...

I started writing out every beautiful moment I had experience in explicit detail. There were lots. Pages. And my spirit soared!

I am sure I could also have done the opposite - write out the discomfort and miserable moments. And I would have plummeted to the depth of despair and misery.

There are very good things and very bad things that happen along the Way. If we are lucky, we can find a way to embrace the good things and let those memories float in our consciousness. If we are not so lucky... well that is a thing too and its ok to be disappointed or unhappy. I just wish the best for all.
Good or you!!!! Great post!

No need to resurrect a 1.5 year old thread then! :rolleyes:
Ok, after reading ALL the posts, this is really a very good thread...gives us all something to think about. What we perceive, what we experience..... it is all individual, it does not take away any experience or add to it.....that is our job...now I retract the statement about closing this thread, I hope others will give us a slight look into their past Camino's and their anxiousness into their future Caminos. Buen Caminio to all Pilgrims
Stay on your path!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also, when you look at this forum and search topics, old threads come up. We all area old forum topics, especially those that seem relevant to us at THIS time. When one is not a daily searcher of the forum this happens. But, that does not lesson the fact that there are still legitimate topics for newbies to read. Please, try to remember your first trek....you were full of questions and lots of anxiety.

Life (and the Camino) can be challenging.
A little humor can go a long way toward relieving the stress.

Cheers!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you don't want it printed, then don't say it! Pilgrims search this forum for EVERTHING. We do not need to snub the old threads.
But isn't this exactly what you were trying to do in your first post @Rosemaryk1 by saying the thread should have been shut down??
We all have different experiences with the Camino, and threads reflect this - some good, some bad, some that make you laugh and some that make you cry. These need to be shared.
Well that is my opinion, and this is something we are also all entitled to.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back