• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2nd pair of shoes

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hello!

I'm going to be hiking the Camino Ingles in a few weeks. Does anyone ever carry a 2nd pair of shoes? I thought it might give one pair a chance to dry out. Also, if the pair on one's feet start to cause problems while hiking from one point to the next, it might be useful to have a back up pair.

Susan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also carry Keen sandals. They are stout enough and provide enough support to use as substitutes for your boots, especially on rainy days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And I use Chaco sandals. This year I walked in them for about a week to avoid irritating a blister. They were excellent.

Hello!

I'm going to be hiking the Camino Ingles in a few weeks. Does anyone ever carry a 2nd pair of shoes? I thought it might give one pair a chance to dry out. Also, if the pair on one's feet start to cause problems while hiking from one point to the next, it might be useful to have a back up pair.

Susan

Most of us do, normally some lightweight walking sandals or flip-flops. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some model of Crocs or EVA Birkenstocks: all plastic so drying is not an issue as ut would be with model that fave velcro & ribbon straps.

I have 4 pairs !!!!! Yep. Not one blister so for me worth it. Hiking shoes, hiking sandals, trainers and flip flops. I wore the trainers the least.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have 4 pairs !!!!! Yep. Not one blister so for me worth it. Hiking shoes, hiking sandals, trainers and flip flops. I wore the trainers the least.

That seems a bit overkill, at least the trainers I would leave at home. Buen Camino, SY

That seems a bit overkill, at least the trainers I would leave at home. Buen Camino, SY
It wasn't for me. I had a blister free Camino and my feet loved the feel of some other shoes now and then. But yes I have been thinking about leaving the trainers home, but then again carrying them with me is not a huge deal. My total pack weight was/is still under 20 lbs.

Last edited:
I love, love, love my Teva sandals. I wear them at night, while walking and my feet are tired of my shoes and when I had blisters on my little toes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sandals seem popular as relief shoes and shoes for the evening. But Im concerned that the weather will be too cold for bare feet in just a sandal. Also, I’d like a covered foot for any touristy activities. Has anyone brought light canvas slip-ons as relief shoes? I’ve found a pair that are actually orthopedic arch support slip-ons, and I’m considering them. The canvas does negate them as ‘shower shoes’, but perhaps I can find cheap drugstore plastic/rubber flip-flops for that. Thoughts?

Sandals seem popular as relief shoes and shoes for the evening. But Im concerned that the weather will be too cold for bare feet in just a sandal. Also, I’d like a covered foot for any touristy activities. Has anyone brought light canvas slip-ons as relief shoes? I’ve found a pair that are actually orthopedic arch support slip-ons, and I’m considering them. The canvas does negate them as ‘shower shoes’, but perhaps I can find cheap drugstore plastic/rubber flip-flops for that. Thoughts?

I’m reconciled to socks under Birkenstock EVAs in the evening. If it’s a fashion statement, it’s not a good one.

My footware was once criticised by a young German peregrina; but as she was wearing a pink neon tiger skin onesie (with head and ears), at the time I didn’t take it too badly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My second pair of shoes have always been Tevas. Although I didn’t hike in them, I easily could have. But, at the end of the day, it was great to take off my hiking shoes and put on the sandals. If you have a properly fitting shoe, I have walked in both Merrell Moabs and trail running shoes, you’ll be in good shape. Both have worked fine. More importantly is your daily foot care. If even the slightest irritation on your foot begins, address it. Lots of good threads on the Forum regarding footcare. To keep the weight as light as possible my your pack, I’ve never brought along another pair of shoes other than my Tevas.

I wear hiking sandals to walk in - and a pair of shoes for the evenings. So the reverse of most people.

@Kanga do you only go during the better weather seasons, or is there a way to make hiking sandals work, say, end of March through April and May?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Kanga do you only go during the better weather seasons, or is there a way to make hiking sandals work, say, end of March through April and May?
I usually go in early Spring, so yes, I walk in sandals in April and May. I've even worn them in the snow. When it is cold and/or wet I wear waterproof socks. This year I am starting in mid April and I will be in sandals.

I usually go in early Spring, so yes, I walk in sandals in April and May. I've even worn them in the snow. When it is cold and/or wet I wear waterproof socks. This year I am starting in mid April and I will be in sandals.
I had a practice walk today in tevas with waterproof socks. There was mud and ice and leftover snow, maybe an inch or so, an ascent and descent. Nothing like over the Pyrenees but it’s the closest I could approximate in my pancake US state. My feet stayed dry in the waterproof socks and I brushed off the mud and ice from the sandal when I took a lunch break.

So it got me wondering. I know I will wear the sandals unless it’s impossible, which means I’m going to be carrying 784 g of trail runners most days. That’s an awful lot of weight for the maybe 3-4 days of snow.

You feel like it’s an acceptable risk to take, then, no trail runners? Or do you have some sort of super lightweight ones you stash in your pack just in case?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think I’m gonna do it. I did an extensive Google last night and found a couple of thru hikers have worn sandals with waterproof socks on the PCT. Not many, but it seems it’s a growing trend and there’s no way I’ll see snow like they do on the PCT. That drops my pack weight 2 whole pounds. Woot! Thank you.

I must be missing something here🤔 because whenever I read about walking long distances in sandals I envision more small stones to deal with, (happens to me at home on certain terrain), and occasional mud on your feet and/or socks.
That said, I can truly understand wearing sandals for people who struggle with foot problems; blisters, wide feet, etc., which then wearing sandals makes total sense to me.

I must be missing something here🤔 because whenever I read about walking long distances in sandals I envision more small stones to deal with, (happens to me at home on certain terrain), and occasional mud on your feet and/or socks.
Small stones really aren't a problem, and the rare times I get them they are easy to shake out.
As far as mud goes, it's much easier to wash off of skin and socks than shoes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That said, I can truly understand wearing sandals for people who struggle with foot problems; blisters, wide feet, etc., which then wearing sandals makes total sense to me.
Small stones drive me nuts. Which is why I like sandals with a tall enough sole to avoid the worst of them, and Velcro to do a quick shake without having to take off the whole shoe. It’s recommended to change socks halfway through a long hike anyway so the dust/mud is not really burdensome. It’s easier to wash socks than trail runners. And yesterday I came home, ran water over my tevas to rinse them off and left them in the drain board for 30 min to dry. So easy!

I have trail runners I like well enough. They just cannot compete with sandals for me.

Tevas or crocs. I've carried tevas with me on my caminos. They are my shoe to wear inside. Bu they are kind of heavy though, so when I saw a pair of crocs at a second hand shop for $3 I bought them. I haven't tried packing them yet, they are light but bulky. I also want to try walking in them. The tevas are my back-up walking shoe if I get a blister. Both can be worn in the shower, which is important to me.

Tevas or crocs. I've carried tevas with me on my caminos. They are my shoe to wear inside. Bu they are kind of heavy though, so when I saw a pair of crocs at a second hand shop for $3 I bought them. I haven't tried packing them yet, they are light but bulky. I also want to try walking in them. The tevas are my back-up walking shoe if I get a blister. Both can be worn in the shower, which is important to me.
Thanks for another opinion, @kelleymac. Yes, I know Teva's are a bit on the heavy side. Lightweight crocs have come a long way since the bulky "Dutch shoe look" first came on the scene, but are harder to find them used at a resale shop.
Are you saying you will possibly bring three pairs of shoes on your next Camino?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jambu flats - which if needed, I could use to hike in because they are comfortable and have great tread. They're nice looking and very lightweight.

I might swap out my shower shoes for a pair of crocs/birks evas. I know its not recommended but I could walk all day in a birk eva sole if I had to. Super comfortable, imho.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I might swap out my shower shoes for a pair of crocs/birks evas. I know its not recommended but I could walk all day in a birk eva sole if I had to. Super comfortable, imho.
It's interesting how our feet are all different. I like the look of Birkenstocks, but I am rather flat footed so their hard, preformed arches absolutely "kill" my feet, and I am not exaggerating.😉

It's interesting how our feet are all different. I like the look of Birkenstocks, but I am rather flat footed so their hard, preformed arches absolutely "kill" my feet, and I am not exaggerating.😉

It really is interesting how individual it can be. My feet HATE chacos. And I've tried changing sizes, styles, etc. They have all the elements I think I would love. But my feet are like "Yeah no. Just. No." :D

I'm thinking of bringing an extra pair of Speedgoats because after the 110 miles of training hikes I've done with a weighted pack there is zero percent chance one pair will make it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm thinking of bringing an extra pair of Speedgoats because after the 110 miles of training hikes I've done with a weighted pack there is zero percent chance one pair will make it.
Instead of carrying them you can mail them to yourself to a post office along the way.

Don't try to send them from outside of Europe though.
Information about using the Correos, the Spanish post office.

From Wikipedia

Screenshot_20220222-114014_Firefox.jpg

Yeah I’m wondering about this, too. Anyone know if new teva sandals can make it from SJPP to the ocean? If not I’m gonna mail some to myself as well.

Instead of carrying them you can mail them to yourself to a post office along the way.
OH! That's brilliant! I never would have thought of that. I do have a room booked for Friday thru Sunday of easter I could probably send them there. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wear Birkenstock eva's for my second shoes while on camino, city footwear. They used to be comfortable. But Birkenstock resized the women's sandals: much narrower, then a shoe store advertised them for online purchase as having the former size. When I received the box, the new, narrower sizing was listed on the box, but not on the bill. I took them on my camino last fall, but generally wore them rarely and only indoors. I still wear my old sandals as my house footwear, but I shall be taking the new ones on my next camino and hoping that they will stretch enough to be comfortable. That is one advantage of their eva sandals: they stretch over time.

Last edited:
OH! That's brilliant! I never would have thought of that. I do have a room booked for Friday thru Sunday of easter I could probably send them there. Thanks!
That should work well. Just ask the place where you are booked if they can accept the package.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wear Birkenstock eva's for my second shoes while on camino, city footwear. They used to be comfortable. But Birkenstock resized the women's sandals: much narrower, then a shoe store advertised them for online purchase as having the former size. When I received the box, the new, narrower sizing was listed on the box, but not on the bill. I took them on my camino last fall, but generally wore them rarely and only indoors. I still wear my old sandals as my house footwear, but I shall be taking the new ones on my next camino and hoping that they will stretch enough to be comfortable. That is one advantage of their eva sandals: they stretch over time.
I buy men’s when the style I want is in a narrow. It’s not like the women’s ones are significantly more feminine. 😆 I go by Birkenstock’s Euro sizing to get the right size.

Not so much thoughts, but following a similar line of thinking, after my first camino I found a pair of Salomon Tech Amphibian water sandals. These have a closed mesh toe, and can be used for walking but I wouldn't rely on them to replace my regular walking footwear. I have always used them as my 'evening wear' sandal on pilgrimage walks.

I took Tevas with me as a second pair of footwear. Admittedly, I wasn't walking in winter. High summer or barely autumn. I've been wearing Tevas for 40 years now and am happy with them. That said, if there are other sandals that provide similar traction and foot support at a fraction of the weight, I'm all ears.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My second pair are black Teva sandals which I wear with black socks in the evenings. They look respectable and I suppose I could walk in them as that's all I wear all summer in Australia(without the socks) They are very comfortable.

Thanks for another opinion, @kelleymac. Yes, I know Teva's are a bit on the heavy side. Lightweight crocs have come a long way since the bulky "Dutch shoe look" first came on the scene, but are harder to find them used at a resale shop.
Are you saying you will possibly bring three pairs of shoes on your next Camino?
No, I'll pick either the crocs or the tevas. I love how soft my tevas are on my feet. But the crocs are lighter... They are both really bulky. :( I've considered going to an ultralight slipper or just flip-flops, but then I can't hike in them in a blister situation. I"m not sure I can hike in crocs either. :( Ice is falling right now outside, and then snow to follow, so for the immediate future any walks are in my my muck boots.

Wonder if anyone have tried hiking in the Hoka Hopara, this sandal is supposed to be an upgrade from crocks?

I've been looking for information on how many miles one pair of tevas is good for. Came across this article. I guess I don't need to worry about them wearing out on the camino. lol He's put 2700 miles on one pair.

It looks like the Hoka Hopara is meant to be a true hiking sandal. No relationship to Crocs.
View attachment 119293
I was looking at a similar closed toe sandal by Camel Crown but they are as big as my regular shoes.
I already have a pair of "boat" or "fishing" shoes, which are designed for walking in water. They are lightweight, maybe too lightweight for walking the whole way but I'm leaning towards bringing those to stuff inside the pack. Price is right, too.

1645813547004.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A note for anyone who is about to walk a first camino and is considering not taking a second pair of footwear because of the weight. You may not be aware that albergues normally ask you to leave your walking shoes near the entrance, to minimize the additional cleaning needed when outdoor footwear (after a day in varying conditions on a trail) is worn inside. Consider whether you are willing to choose the weight savings over the chance of keeping feet in socks alone clean and warm in an albergue.

I already have a pair of "boat" or "fishing" shoes, which are designed for walking in water.
I have owned a couple of different pairs of water shoes over the years, but have never really found them to be comfortable as the mesh uppers always felt rather abrasive on my bare feet. I would not choose mine as a backup pair on the Camino unless I wore them with socks.

I have owned a couple of different pairs of water shoes over the years, but have never really found them to be comfortable as the mesh uppers always felt rather abrasive on my bare feet. I would not choose mine as a backup pair on the Camino unless I wore them with socks.
I agree with this assessment. I earlier mentioned that I had done all my pilgrimage walks after my first CF with a pair of Salomon TechAmphibian shoes. As evening wear, they were always worn with socks to keep my feet warm. While they could be worn without socks, the mesh does tend to be uncomfortable where it rubs against the sides of my feet.

I have since found a pair of Quicksilver Amphibian Plus shoes. They have a much softer fabric upper than the TechAmphibians from Salomon, and at 380 gm for a pair (size 44) are also lighter. These are under active consideration for the CP later this year. I don't know how well they would perform as a backup to my trekking footwear, but I don't intend to use them for that in any case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have since found a pair of Quicksilver Amphibian Plus shoes. They have a much softer fabric upper than the TechAmphibians from Salomon
I took a look those new shoes and can see that these new versions of "water shoes" have come a long way since I'd purchased mine quite a few years ago.

I was looking at a similar closed toe sandal by Camel Crown but they are as big as my regular shoes.
I already have a pair of "boat" or "fishing" shoes, which are designed for walking in water. They are lightweight, maybe too lightweight for walking the whole way but I'm leaning towards bringing those to stuff inside the pack. Price is right, too.
There seems to be a couple of different points on the water shoe market. The Salomon TechAmphibian are designed for active water sports like kayaking, whereas I see the Quicksilver as more about looking cool down on the beach or in some close by shopping promenade. Open and closed toe sandals fit in there somewhere as well.

I must admit my preference for a closed toe shoe is really only vanity at the end of the day. I quite dislike the look of sandals with socks. I did try sandals on my first camino, and unfortunately got blisters doing that. I know how not to repeat the blisters, but cannot bring myself to wander around in sandals wearing socks. So I continue to use a closed toe shoe as my 'evening footwear'.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.