• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Official" Credential Panic Attack

HalaCelta

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (June 2016)
I'm starting the Norte in a week from Irún. I don't currently have a credencial and was planning on purchasing one at the Albergue de Peregrinos in Irún. However, I'm seeing internet traffic that suggests that after April 2016, the only valid credential for obtaining the compostela in Santiago will be the one issued by the Catedral de Santiago. Is this true? I really don't want to pick up a credencial at the albergue in Irún and then walk 800+ Km only to arrive in Santiago and find out my credencial was not valid.

Although I don't speak Spanish the link here seems to suggest that no other credenciales will be valid for issuing a compostela: http://catedraldesantiago.es/es/nota-credencial-peregrino-dic15

Thanks in advance,

-Brian

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing to worry about.

The credentials available at the albergues are the authorized versions.
They need to be authorized by the Cathedral ...no necessarily issued by them.

The intent is to stop the unauthorized "credentials" printed by tour companies and those sold by shops. Some were very bizarre and not in good taste in the opinion of the Cathedral.

There are several threads on this subject if you care to search above.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nothing to worry about.

The credentials available at the albergues are the authorized versions.
They need to be authorized by the Cathedral ...no necessarily issued by them.

The intent is to stop the unauthorized "credentials" printed by tour companies and those sold by shops. Some were very bizarre and not in good taste in the opinion of the Cathedral.

There are several threads on this subject if you care to search above.
Not sure it was a mater of "bizarre and not in good taste", but more a mater of €. There was a fight between Santiago and the Lugo cathedral regarding the credencial Lugo was offering. And considering the status of the Lugo cathedral within the Church I doubt very much its credencial was not in good taste.

I was referring to the credentials being made and sold by tour group companies and souvenir shops.

This is the first reference I have heard about the Lugo Cathedral.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks all. My anxiety is assuaged until I find something new to worry about.

As far as searching, I really couldn't find anything on the forum this supposed "April transition". Then I see this post on FB by the Albergue de Peregrinos de Irún which had me worried there was some sort of conflict.

Scroll down to the fourth post if interested: https://www.facebook.com/albergueirun/?fref=nf

Thanks again and Buen Camino!

-Brian

Actually, what matters to the Compostela is the last 100 km. So, in case of emergency, you can resort to any credencial acceptable in albergues, and ask for the "official" one later. But usually albergues deliver an "approved" and licensed version.
Or that is the "official" saying. Last time in Compostela Pilgrim's bureau I was asked many questions about my first stamp, delivered by a private Leon albergue (Santo Tomás de Canterbury) that apparently was new to the kind volunteer. I was "saved" by a stamp of San Isidoro (I attended there pilgrim's Mass).
I wondered what was exactly the issue, because I had plenty of stamps (I was walking with another person who was enthusiastic about collecting them....) and anyway, it is only the last 100 km that matters ¿or not?
I did not apply for the new "certificate of distance".
Anyway, it was not really important; I am just curious about the "non written rules" of the compostela.

Last edited:
Actually, what matters to the Compostela is the last 100 km. So, in case of emergency, you can resort to any credencial acceptable in albergues, and ask for the "official" one later. But usually albergues deliver an "approved" and licensed version.
Or that is the "official" saying. Last time in Compostela Pilgrim's bureau I was asked many questions about my first stamp, delivered by a private Leon albergue (Santo Tomás de Canterbury) that apparently was new to the kind volunteer. I was "saved" by a stamp of San Isidoro (I attended there pilgrim's Mass).
I wondered what was exactly the issue, because I had plenty of stamps (I was walking with another person who was enthusiastic about collecting them....) and anyway, it is only the last 100 km that matters ¿or not?
I did not apply for the new "certificate of distance".
Anyway, it was not really important; I am just curious about the "non written rules" of the compostela.
I am curious as well as to what the fuss was... The credencial I used last time was bought in a shop in Canada and stamped by the shop. The shop owner buys cases of them at a time to resale to her clients.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got my from this website. It only took 1 week to make it all the way to Miami, Fl USA. I was surprised how quick it got here since I did regular shipping. They offer to rush it but I don't leave until June.
Buen Camino!

I guess the credencial had some formal meaning some time ago. Actually, most albergues even public ones now dont ask for the credencial when you check in for the night. I think it is losing its importance. So last year I walked between Santo Domingo Calzada and Astorga without a credencial. Only in one spot a man was insistent that I show it. For the sake of the tradition or whatever. The credencial from my first camino now is framed and hangs on the wall in my home. Some stamps are really beautiful.

[QUOTE="Actually, most albergues even public ones now dont ask for the credencial when you check in for the night. I think it is losing its importance. So last year I walked between Santo Domingo Calzada and Astorga without a credencial. Only in one spot a man was insistent that I show it. For the sake of the tradition or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Lars, this may have been your experience, but my own suggests that without presenting the credencial, there would be no admittance to the albergue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm starting the Norte in a week from Irún. I don't currently have a credencial and was planning on purchasing one at the Albergue de Peregrinos in Irún. However, I'm seeing internet traffic that suggests that after April 2016, the only valid credential for obtaining the compostela in Santiago will be the one issued by the Catedral de Santiago. Is this true? I really don't want to pick up a credencial at the albergue in Irún and then walk 800+ Km only to arrive in Santiago and find out my credencial was not valid.

Although I don't speak Spanish the link here seems to suggest that no other credenciales will be valid for issuing a compostela: http://catedraldesantiago.es/es/nota-credencial-peregrino-dic15

Thanks in advance,

-Brian
Brian- don't worry it will all be fine- santiago will take care of it- certainly not worth a panic attack:). I had a credential from the st James confraternity which I had bought in a dutch bookshop. Btw the first parts of the camino del norte in the basque county are so beautiful- I would go again in a split second- just enjoy it! Buen camino!

Brian- don't worry it will all be fine- santiago will take care of it- certainly not worth a panic attack:). I had a credential from the st James confraternity which I had bought in a dutch bookshop. Btw the first parts of the camino del norte in the basque county are so beautiful- I would go again in a split second- just enjoy it! Buen camino!
Hi Brian
Could you post some comments about your trip, weather, etc. We are looking to do this trip next year and are interested to hear some first hand current experiences. Buen camino xo

Thanks in advance,

-Brian
Hi Brian! I've just walked the Camino del Norte from Irún to Bilbao. I couldn't stay longer because I have kids at home ;-). Just like you, I just packed my things and flew without any credencial to Spain. I got mine in Irún, at the Albergue which is just 800 m away from the train station. Just be aware that you can reach the Hospitaleros very early morning when they are serving breakfast to the pilgrims, or wait till 16 h when they open the Albergue again. This credencial will be shown in every Albergue you stay the night, as a "right" to use the Albergue. Just a tip: There's nowadays a lot of pilgrims on the northern way! Sometimes it is necessary to make a reservation. If you know how long you're going to walk and where you want to sleep, it's enough to ask the hospitalero where you stayed the night, to make a short phone call to the next Albergue, just to make sure you get your bed. Otherwise the rule "first come first served" applies. As we wanted to walk more distance than the recommended stages per day, it was very helpful to have a safe bed when you know you'll reach the Albergue in the late evening. If you'll carry a smartphone with you and are very careful with weight, I would recommend you not to take any printed guides to the camino del norte. The Albergues have great maps with careful descriptions on terrain, distances and times. If you speak or understand spanish, the following app will help you all along the Northern Way (and the other ways too!), with also very careful descriptions on terrain, times, distances, difficulties, water sources, tips on Albergues, telephone numbers, bars and small restaurants where you can eat good and to pilgrim prices ;-). Check the website fist: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es
Good luck and Buen Camino.
PS.Not all the Albergues are for free. Some of them ask for a friendly donation, others are private and you have to calculate 20-25 Euros the night with breakfast incl.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
PS.Not all the Albergues are for free. Some of them ask for a friendly donation, others are private and you have to calculate 20-25 Euros the night with breakfast incl.

I am not aware of any Albergue, on the Norte or elsewhere, that is 'free'. Donativo does not mean 'free'. It means you are expected to make a donation of whatever you can afford.

I am not aware of any Albergue, on the Norte or elsewhere, that is 'free'. Donativo does not mean 'free'. It means you are expected to make a donation of whatever you can afford.

Hi Tincatink.I'm so sorry if you misunderstood my posting. I'm not any expert, I just recently walked the stages from Irún to Bilbao and wanted to share information which could have been helpful even for myself. I read some books, guides and websites about the Camino del Norte before I made my way and it was sad to realize that for many the Camino has become a cheap holiday. I'm a native spanish speaker and also a catholic, and I know what the word means. In general a "Donativo" or Donation is really "free", because you are free to give what you 'want to' and 'are able to' -if you are willing to give anything at all. The municipal Albergues live and are maintained out of donations. We saw how private Albergues have fixed rates between 18 - 25 Euros per night. Those Albergues were often found in the middle of nowhere and, for those who walk between Etapas like us who walked 30-35 km per day, are like an oasis in the middle of the desert; of note is that those private owned Albergues are recognized by the Asociación de Hospitaleros and stamp the credenciales. For first timers like me, it was difficult to calculate how much cash I was going to take with me and whether I would find an ATM at all. Now I know that in every single little town of the Camino del Norte between Irún and Bilbao there's an ATM, a Church, an Ermita, a Bar, a grocery store and one or more water sources (also several between stages). What you don't find in every village is a place to sleep, and this is where I think it's important to know that one has to carry enough cash to pay these extra expenses, when you are obliged to stay the night at a private Albergue, or to take a bus to the next big town to spend the night at the municipal Albergue and the next day get back with the bus to the point you interrupted your walk.

Currently in the albergue de peregrinos in Irún. Bought a credencial here and there is a very lengthy disclaimer in multiple languages attached that says that the credencial is accepted for lodging but may not be accepted in Santiago to obtain the compostela. Not very reassuring. My recommendation on that if you have time you order the official one from ivar or someone else. I will try and attach a photo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mid way on your camino you might run out of space on the Credencial from Irun. At that time you should be able to find an official Credencial to continue your journey into Santiago.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Currently in the albergue de peregrinos in Irún. Bought a credencial here and there is a very lengthy disclaimer in multiple languages attached that says that the credencial is accepted for lodging but may not be accepted in Santiago to obtain the compostela. Not very reassuring. My recommendation on that if you have time you order the official one from ivar or someone else. I will try and attach a photo.

The friends in Valencia expressed concern that their credencial might not be accepted in Santiago. I am not sure why. I had one issued in Santiago as well and am currently having both stamped.

Hi,

Things must have changed... I remember in 2009 that "any paper can serve as a credential". The advice was: okay, get one, but you may as well use a blank sheet" or something. I don't remember where I read or heard this but I am sure of it. It was, and it still is, logic to me: It's the stamps that prove you are a Peregrino and can have access to the albergue, and not the frame, right?! In other words: If you show the stamps to prove it, why would the owner of the albergue or the Office in Santiago de Compostela care about if the document itself was purchased in Sain-Jean PdP or something...?

/BP

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the Primitivo recently, I saw a lot of people with a credencial issued by the Cathedral of Oviedo. I've been told that this is another one of those "unofficial" "unapproved" credenciales. At least half of the people in my little group had one. Happy to report that not one word was said about them by anyone in the pilgrims office, and everyone got their compostelas. Official policy issued from on high is one thing, but I think that the people actually working/volunteering in the pilgrims office would not want to face the reaction they'd get if they started telling people that their credenciales, issued by other cathedrals in Spain, were not acceptable for receiving the compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.