• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or sleep sheet?

Tehuti

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP,Frances, Portugese
I am starting the Camino Sureste mid June and was wondering if anyone has had experience during that time. I am not sure whether to take a sleeping bag or sleep sheet. The bit I am concerned about is high ground around Avila. Anyone help? much appreciated, tijax

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am starting the Camino Sureste mid June and was wondering if anyone has had experience during that time. I am not sure whether to take a sleeping bag or sleep sheet. The bit I am concerned about is high ground around Avila. Anyone help? much appreciated, tijax
Bring both, as long as sleeping bag is light: someone stole by liner on this trip, right off my bed during dinner! o_O

Sorry to hear that.
My sleep bag is 700grms and sleep sheet 260gms now way would I take both. If it means just one or 2 nights that may be chilly I can cope with sheet, trousers and fleece top but if longer will need a a bag. Did the VDLP a few years ago in June and I remember it being freezing in Bejar with snow cap mountains, luckily most places had blankets. However, along the Sureste there aren't many Albergues, mostly acogidas staying in Sports centres so I can't count on blankets if cold.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I gave my sleeping bag away as I figured that my silk liner would be fine and if it was a bit chilly could wear more clothes and put my quick dry towel over me inside the silk liner. Have found the higher altitude albergue's have blankets. Buen Camino!

Yes Liz, it makes sense. Nothing worse than carry weight that isn't imperative. I think I'll opt for taking the sheet and trust the Way, after all what's the worst that can happen, be cold for a few nights or pay out for a sleeping bag at Decathlon, nothing life threatening. Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm bringing a silk liner and a 7 ounce down throw blanket from Montbell for my August/September Camino. I think that it will provide enough extra warmth when necessary.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=1206&p_id=1124593
Thanks for the link. I decided to leave my sleeping bag at home and just bought a silk liner. Also traveling mid August to around mid September. Do you think the smaller size would work for a short (5'1") hiker!? I would expect a 4oz. throw to compact to practically nothing. Haven't found these at REI or elsewhere online.

Thanks for the link. I decided to leave my sleeping bag at home and just bought a silk liner. Also traveling mid August to around mid September. Do you think the smaller size would work for a short (5'1") hiker!? I would expect a 4oz. throw to compact to practically nothing. Haven't found these at REI or elsewhere online.
The one I got is pretty small, just covers my body at 57" x 39". The smaller one is 43" x 30", which is pretty narrow. Mine compacts down to about the size of a softball.
I think that there are two Montbell stores in the US. One in Boulder, CO, and the other in Portland OR.

My silk liner and blanket combined weigh just about 12 ounces.

Thank you for the helpful reply. I would need to order online, so I will think about how and if I would use it. I'm trying to pack with 11 pounds in mind, including the bag. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for the helpful reply. I would need to order online, so I will think about how and if I would use it. I'm trying to pack with 11 pounds in mind, including the bag. Buen Camino.
You could cut a piece of cloth the size of the quilt and decide if it would be adequate to cover you.

You could cut a piece of cloth the size of the quilt and decide if it would be adequate to cover you.

Good idea. It wouldn't cover me completely, but enough. It's another option to think about. Gracias.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last year we walked from Porto, starting second week of June. I decided that considering we were walking ' into Summer' ( we usually walk in the Autumn), I would forsake the sleeping bag. I bought a couple of these fleece blankets for single size beds, sewed Velcro around the bottom and about 30 cms up the side. This way, it could be converted into a bag, or used simply as a blanket, depending on the temperature. I also cut in half a flat microfiber sheet to place on the mattress. Both together weighed about half the weight of the sleeping bag and also took up less room in the backpack. Worked perfectly!

I gave my sleeping bag away as I figured that my silk liner would be fine and if it was a bit chilly could wear more clothes and put my quick dry towel over me inside the silk liner. Have found the higher altitude albergue's have blankets. Buen Camino!
Were those Albergues on the Sureste? there are very few Albergues on the sureste, most are Acogidas( refuges. Most are in Sports halls, some in a clinic or even in the Town Hall. Most other Caminos I have done, have so many albergues and majority have blankets that's why I was looking for someone that has already done the sureste.

Last year we walked from Porto, starting second week of June. I decided that considering we were walking ' into Summer' ( we usually walk in the Autumn), I would forsake the sleeping bag. I bought a couple of these fleece blankets for single size beds, sewed Velcro around the bottom and about 30 cms up the side. This way, it could be converted into a bag, or used simply as a blanket, depending on the temperature. I also cut in half a flat microfiber sheet to place on the mattress. Both together weighed about half the weight of the sleeping bag and also took up less room in the backpack. Worked perfectly!
I love your reply, so practical and creative. Whether walking early summer, mid summer or late summer and of course what camino can reflect alot on what you carry. I am walking this year from Alicante via Toledo and Avila mid June to end of August across dry arid land so that will be stifling. So the least I carry the better. I have decided on a sleep sheet and get informed along the way as to possible altitude cold. I can always nip into one of those bargain Chinese shops that are all over Spain and buy a fleece and use your tip to convert it to a comfy warm bag.
many thanks for sharing your inventive tip

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry
Were those Albergues on the Sureste? there are very few Albergues on the sureste, most are Acogidas( refuges. Most are in Sports halls, some in a clinic or even in the Town Hall. Most other Caminos I have done, have so many albergues and majority have blankets that's why I was looking for someone that has already done the sureste.
Sorry, must have been exhausted as didn't register which way was being discussed!!! Oops. On the Frances.

Hi,

The Sureste is the camino that has the widest range of accomodations. One day you're in the Sports hall (zero euros), the next day the only option is a hostel or a hotel (30+ euros) and so on. So yes, you might end up in Sports halls or very minimalistic refugios so blankets are not always available. Although in June-July you'll be more worried about the heat than being too cold. I June, I was anxious to no know if there was air conditioning in the places I stayed, so I would survive the night. The region of Ávila is elevated, I know, but you shouldn't freeze. But I always bring a sleeping bag instead of a sleep sheet, just in case.

/BP

Hi Tehuti,

Mid-June is waaaay passed by now! So how was your Camino del Sureste? Comments, please!

Ciao!

BP

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Tehuti,

Mid-June is waaaay passed by now! So how was your Camino del Sureste? Comments, please!

Ciao!

BP
Taking just a sleep sheet was by far the best decision I made. Walking in 40 degrees across Castillo de la mancha you feel every gram on your back. Most nights was just sleeping on to of the sheet. When I arrived in Avila, it was heaven, not just because of being a great albergue, but because it was the first night of not battling through extreme night temperatures. Blankets were offered but I didn't need one. So sleep sheet verses sleeping bag through latter June and July on the sureste? Definitely a sleep sheet wins with me.

Taking just a sleep sheet was by far the best decision I made. Walking in 40 degrees across Castillo de la mancha you feel every gram on your back. Most nights was just sleeping on to of the sheet. When I arrived in Avila, it was heaven, not just because of being a great albergue, but because it was the first night of not battling through extreme night temperatures. Blankets were offered but I didn't need one. So sleep sheet verses sleeping bag through latter June and July on the sureste? Definitely a sleep sheet wins with me.

I agree, (I must have written that somehere above). But did you enjoy the Sureste??? It's one of my favourites!

Did you go through Yecla or Caudete?

Did you take the new way through Villamiel de Toledo (instead of Rielves) after Toledo?

How many pilgrims did you meet???

/BP

I agree, (I must have written that somehere above). But did you enjoy the Sureste??? It's one of my favourites!

Did you take the new way through Villamiel de Toledo (instead of Rielves) after Toledo?

/BP

/BP

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Bad Pilgrim, This is the first camino I have not finished, ended in Avila with tendonitis sorry to say. I enjoyed the solitude, didn't meet another walking pilgrim until Escalona, and he was on the Levante. Going through la mancha was like touching the wilderness, vast areas of nothing but flat terrain with every hue of beige. A great time to just be. I didn't go thru Yecla and yes went to Caudette where Miguel the hospitalero greeted me with cooled plumbs from his land. Truly a commendable man in service to pilgrims, very knowledgeable about the Camino. I stayed at Rielves in the room adjoining the church, and still remember a great walk to Noves from there. It is difficult for me to say if any camino is better than another, I think each one holds it's magic none better than others, just different. The sureste calls for more survival skills, no water or food in between stages, and you can't just roll into an albergue. Calls to either a town hall, police or church member a day before arriving is necessary and where you get to stay is so diverse. I liked that part, and was met with real warmth from local people. I am sorry to have ended in the middle, each camino has it's challenges and lessons, maybe mine is dealing with defeat.

Hi Bad Pilgrim, This is the first camino I have not finished, ended in Avila with tendonitis sorry to say. I enjoyed the solitude, didn't meet another walking pilgrim until Escalona, and he was on the Levante. Going through la mancha was like touching the wilderness, vast areas of nothing but flat terrain with every hue of beige. A great time to just be. I didn't go thru Yecla and yes went to Caudette where Miguel the hospitalero greeted me with cooled plumbs from his land. Truly a commendable man in service to pilgrims, very knowledgeable about the Camino. I stayed at Rielves in the room adjoining the church, and still remember a great walk to Noves from there. It is difficult for me to say if any camino is better than another, I think each one holds it's magic none better than others, just different. The sureste calls for more survival skills, no water or food in between stages, and you can't just roll into an albergue. Calls to either a town hall, police or church member a day before arriving is necessary and where you get to stay is so diverse. I liked that part, and was met with real warmth from local people. I am sorry to have ended in the middle, each camino has it's challenges and lessons, maybe mine is dealing with defeat.

Hi,

The same for me: I met my first pilgrim just before Escalona and another year no-one until the albergue in Ávila! There were som cyclists passing me as I walked though.

One time I thought about staying in Rielves, but I continued. I was a bit put off by the fact that there wasn't a shower (?). Did you use the ones in the piscina? I waited for the priest outside the church but finally I phoned ahead for a hostel in the next village. By now there's a new road that goes through Villamiel de Toledo instead of Rielves so I'm curious about that one!

I know it's hard to end a Camino like that. I had to give up in Zamora because of plantar fasciitis and I started in Sevilla. The good thing is that it taught me what I had to do to avoid the same injury again, how to avoid sun poisoning... There's always a lesson to learn... Will you pick up where you left in the future?

/BP

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back