• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Levante in 2017?

P

pilgr

Please let me know if you are planning to walk the Levante in 2017 and would enjoy company.

Matt

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes Matt, I would. But I won't be able to make a commitment. I never know if I can go or when. My preference for this route would be a late April early May start.

I leave in 7 weeks, my facebook will have updates on the Levante followed by the Portuguese. When I get back I will do a full update on places and bars etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kanga- Thanks for your response. Sounds like you are iffy when/if you can go. I am looking at either between Feb/Apr-May/Jun; or Sept-Nov. I am looking at doing the Geneva/LePew to Santiago route next year too.

Trevor- Thanks for sharing your experience of doing the Levante. What is your Facebook page?

Kanga- Thanks for your response. Sounds like you are iffy when/if you can go. I am looking at either between Feb/Apr-May/Jun; or Sept-Nov. I am looking at doing the Geneva/LePew to Santiago route next year too.

Trevor- Thanks for sharing your experience of doing the Levante. What is your Facebook page?

Also, I should let everyone know I average 2.5-3mph and 22-25k a day. So I am kind of in the tortuga speed range.

Trevor Cowan-Clark

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also, I should let everyone know I average 2.5-3mph and 22-25k a day. So I am kind of in the tortuga speed range.
I am not so fast as I like to look around and to saunter along.

I am hoping/planning to do this in 2017 in sept Oct.

Looking toward to your updates @trevorcc

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Eyup Matt. I'm setting off from Valencia on the 10th of January.

Thanks for the headsup!

What is your plan for a guide book, using the Amigos book? map? I understand the Meseta is cold, windy and wet in the winter. Is that a concern?

I am hoping/planning to do this in 2017 in sept Oct.

Looking toward to your updates @trevorcc
Will do I am also on facebook Trevor Cowan-Clark which I will update each day if wifi is about with a few photos

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just the Amigos book Matt. I've got my iPad too. I walked through the Western Scottish Highlands in winter and kind of got addicted to the cold and damp. Bring it on.

Will do I am also on facebook Trevor Cowan-Clark which I will update each day if wifi is about with a few photos
Hi, Trevor,

I can send you my compiled self-made guide book from different internet sources. The text is mostly in Spanish (just some paragraphs translated to English with Google Translator) because also reading it helps me adapt to the language more quickly. Send me your e-mail via private conversation and you can check it out if it fits your needs.

Matt, regarding the weather in winter, and leaving aside my earlier gung-ho spirit; it would be best to take a tent or at least an emergency bivvy. When I was in the Costa Blanca hills last February the snow came down quickly and a couple of walkers died not too far from Valencia, so it can be cruel on occasions. A tent would also insure against albergues being closed. Extra weight I know but you get used to it as long as it's below 17kg or thereabouts. Blade.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are kidding me! A couple of peregrinos died from the weather??? That is serious dudu!

Just the Amigos book Matt. I've got my iPad too. I walked through the Western Scottish Highlands in winter and kind of got addicted to the cold and damp. Bring it on.

Great time to walk the Highland Route, in the Winter, when those Darn Midgies are safely asleep. I have nightmares of being eaten to the bone by a wave of those darn things!

You are kidding me! A couple of peregrinos died from the weather??? That is serious dudu!

Actually, if it is the same people I read/heard about when walking the VdlP in spring, they where out for a day trip when the weather got worse. They weren't equipped for this and 2 died. Buen Camino and stay safe, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No they weren't Peregrinos. They were three day walkers and one survived. Even if you don't take a tent please take an emergency bivvy. Light and small. The average night temperature in January west of Madrid is below zero so best be careful in case you hit a bit of snow and get slowed down between stops.

Trevor Cowan-Clark

Please let me know if you are planning to walk the Levante in 2017 and would enjoy company.

Matt

Hi,

good thing to look for company. On the Levante I met NO other pilgrim before Escalona and that was almost three weeks...!

/BP

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just curious if anyone else has plans for Levante in 2017. I'm still planning for sept, though having read @trevorcc report, I will definitely have to work on heat acclimatization, though I may start later in the month if possible.

I am planning on leaving Valencia on April 1st. The current plan is two months or so.

It doesn't escape me that it will be April Fool's day.

DkPond

I've planned to get to Valencia on April 6th and start my Camino del Levante on 8th.

I've already booked my flight from Pisa to VLC but the issue of going or not depends on my parents' health conditions.

Depending on the holiday period i can get i plan to get to Toledo (at least) or maybe to Avila or even to Zamora; i'm pretty sure i can't get a longer holiday period in order to get to Santiago, this year.

Average "caminante", here: usually, when on the Camino, i can walk stages of an average of about 35 kms; some 40/45 kms (or slightly more) long stage, now and then, are possible when the trail is rather flat, but i prefer enjoying my "Camino" than doing some race.

I'm planning to get to Toledo in 14/15 days walking and having a resting day there for visiting that brilliant town; if my holiday period will allow me to, i'd like to have my second resting day in Avila.

I'm used to walk mostly alone or with some good friend of mine but also enjoy to meet people now and then while walking, chatting a little, walking together for a while, supporting each other for any peregrino's need or problem, having meals together.

I can communicate fluently in spanish, rather well in english; ...and perfectly in italian, of course!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've planned to get to Valencia on April 6th and start my Camino del Levante on 8th.

I've already booked my flight from Pisa to VLC but the issue of going or not depends on my parent's health conditions.

Depending on the holiday period i can get i plan to get to Toledo (at least) or maybe to Avila or even to Zamora; i'm pretty sure i can't get a longer holiday period in order to get to Santiago, this year.

Average "caminante", here: usually, when on the Camino, i can walk stages of an average of about 35 kms; some 40/45 kms (or slightly more) long stage, now and then, are possible when the trail is rather flat, but i prefer enjoying my "Camino" than doing some race.

I'm planning to get to Toledo in 14/15 days walking and having a resting day there for visiting that brilliant town; if my holiday period will allow me to, i'd like to have my second resting day in Avila.

I'm used to walk mostly alone or with some good friend of mine but also enjoy to meet people now and then while walking, chatting a little, walking together for a while, supporting each other for any peregrino's need or problem, having meals together.

I can communicate fluently in spanish, rather well in english; ...and perfectly in italian, of course!

Sounds like a perfect plan! I think you will find few other pilgrims though. Perhaps walking in April will get you to see some more people than usual. In summer there's almost no one...

/BP

I walked the Levante a few years ago and became another "Levante cheerleader." I really loved it, and I think springtime is the best of all. The flowers and green fields are beautiful. There doesn't seem to be a lot of Levante interest on the forum, which has kind of surprised me. I know it is a remote, untraveled Camino, but I would have expected to see a larger increase of pilgrims over the last few years.

The albergue infrastructure was definitely better than I expected. I slept in albergues about half the time. Another four or five nights, a mat on the floor of a polideportivo was available, but I opted for an inexpensive pension. If you're prepared to walk alone, you will love it. If you are lucky, like I was, you will meet some others to walk with. On day 4, I met two Frenchmen, and we walked into Santiago together many days later. We didn't see any other pilgrims, though, at least not till we hit Zamora. Even on the Sanabres, the numbers were very low.

Buen camino, Laurie

As I've said many times before, If I could walk in spring just for once I would definitely return... :O(

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just curious if anyone else has plans for Levante in 2017. I'm still planning for sept, though having read @trevorcc report, I will definitely have to work on heat acclimatization, though I may start later in the month if possible.

Sue and I are thinking about it for May this year. Last year 2016 we walked the Mozarabe in June and it was a great walk. Saw no other peregrinos at all and was hot all the way. 46 celsius on the day we reached Cordoba - hottest place in Spain that day. But Mozarabe was spectacular.

Thank you a lot, Laurie!
I've read your blog about your experience along the Camino del Levante and found your comments & advices very, very useful in building up my personal guide i'm assembling.
Useful just as all the valueable advices you give us on this forum, i must add!
;)

Thank you a lot, Laurie!
I've read your blog about your experience along the Camino del Levante and found your comments & advices very, very useful in building up my personal guide i'm assembling.
Useful just as all the valueable advices you give us on this forum, i must add!
;)
Yes, I agree. Laurie's notes are invaluable. Like you, I am using them as the core for the "personal guide" I'm assembling from this forum and a few other sources. A good way to spend evenings in January.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My friend John Theroux and I will leave Valencia on April 4 or so... Looking forward to it!

So, thus far, I am counting

John Theroux
Bernie Bonar
Mauromono
Mathew
Myself and two friends from the Netherlands

leaving Valencia in early April. Did I leave anyone out?

I am hopeful that our paths will cross and that moments with coffee and/or wine will be shared.

DkPond
(James M.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

John Theroux
Bernie Bonar
Mauromono
Mathew

I am hopeful that our paths will cross and that moments with coffee and/or wine will be shared.

DkPond
(James M.)

If I am "Matthew", I am probably leaving Alicante March 8th or so. Brandy from Italy is leaving Valencia I think a week later. Yes, there are two women from Netherlands who are leaving April 1ish

If I am "Matthew", I am probably leaving Alicante March 8th or so. Brandy from Italy is leaving Valencia I think a week later. Yes, there are two women from Netherlands who are leaving April 1ish
Indeed, you are Matthew. (Apologies for the mis-spelling).
I haven't heard about the two women from the Netherlands yet, or at least I don't think so. That makes for a really solid Dutch representation. Maybe I need to switch my Duolingo lessons from Spanish to Dutch.

James

John Theroux
Bernie Bonar
Mauromono
Mathew

DkPond
(James M.)

For information, a friend and I are planning to start from Valencia on 25 March, or thereabouts. I'm not sure if we'll meet you and the April posse before we switch Caminos at either Toledo or Avila, but we will make sure to leave the albergues in good order pending your arrival.

Ultreia y Suseia!!

Indeed, you are Matthew. (Apologies for the mis-spelling).
I haven't heard about the two women from the Netherlands yet, or at least I don't think so. That makes for a really solid Dutch representation. Maybe I need to switch my Duolingo lessons from Spanish to Dutch.

James

You definitely don't need to! :)

I have been living in the Netherlands for one year or so, some years ago, and can tell that they probably are the most skilled people in the world in speaking foreign languages!
And, of course, english is the first foreign language the learn.

After i came back to Italy and afterwards, when i met some dutchman anywhere outside Holland, i've never met any of them who couldn't easily communicate in english... ;)

You definitely don't need to! :)

I have been living in the Netherlands for one year or so, some years ago, and can tell that they probably are the most skilled people in the world in speaking foreign languages!
And, of course, english is the first foreign language the learn.

After i came back to Italy and afterwards, when i met some dutchman anywhere outside Holland, i've never met any of them who couldn't easily communicate in english... ;)

You are exactly correct, of course. I was making a (not very good) joke. I have been impressed many times with their facility with different languages!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Bernie Bonar

Are you a fellow Cal Bear alum? Maybe I will see you on the Levante.
I wish!! San Diego State for me.. My daughter graduated from Cal in 2015. Metabolic Biology! She's the smart one...:)

...so i had to postpone my Camino del Levante, due to my mum's health problems and to some changes in my work schedule in the upcoming spring.
It doesn't matter anyway, as it should be possible to start my Camino in early may instead of early april as initially planned.
I'm planning to get to Valencia on May, 2nd and to start my Camino on may, 4th.

That means that i will probably follow most of this forum's users who have planned to start their Camino in mid-late april!

;)

SO with only 8 weeks until I hit Valencia, my hat is definitely in the ring for the Levante in 2017. Loving all the updates sent by the March walkers (@Brandy and @pilgr) I’m sure the April departing crew will also oblige with updates.
Potential departure date around the 24th or 25th May (depends on how I feel after the flights from NZ!)

€149,-
We will be heading out on April 4... Friend request us on FB! Daily posts by myself or my partner John Theroux...

Hi Bernie - thanks for the contact. I’m not a FB user (prefer face-to-face ;)) but I’ll keep an eye out for a ‘LIVE’ post from you. Cheers and woo-hoo, you’re almost there

Ok this is a new one. Having walked the VdlP/Sanabres in Feb/March this year I thought I had ended my Camino "thing" but not so. It just does not go away does it.
So I fly to Alicante on last day of August and intend to start from Valencia on 1st September 2017. Zamora is the first goal with an extra 5 days added so as to get to Astorga (and complete the VdlP)
Have had considerable difficulty in locating an English guide book but have managed to download information on the route. As usual all the guidebooks seem to be in German.
Will be dumping some items from my kit list and increasing the water carrying capacity from my usual 1 lt. The bivvy bag and mat will be staying as I reckon it will be getting some use.
All in all this seems to be a greater challenge than all my previous Caminos, really looking forward to it. A new adventure !

€83,-
Ok this is a new one. Having walked the VdlP/Sanabres in Feb/March this year I thought I had ended my Camino "thing" but not so. It just does not go away does it.
So I fly to Alicante on last day of August and intend to start from Valencia on 1st September 2017. Zamora is the first goal with an extra 5 days added so as to get to Astorga (and complete the VdlP)
Have had considerable difficulty in locating an English guide book but have managed to download information on the route. As usual all the guidebooks seem to be in German.
Will be dumping some items from my kit list and increasing the water carrying capacity from my usual 1 lt. The bivvy bag and mat will be staying as I reckon it will be getting some use.
All in all this seems to be a greater challenge than all my previous Caminos, really looking forward to it. A new adventure !

If you stay connected to this blog like I did, you will have just about real-time access to a wealth of info and experience as you walk the Levante!

Have had considerable difficulty in locating an English guide book but have managed to download information on the route. As usual all the guidebooks seem to be in German…...

Hi Don and welcome to the Levante crew. My Levante starts from Valencia around 25th May and I hope to post my ‘findings’ along the way as well.
You can also search the recent threads by @pilgr, @Brandy and @Sheffield James. A wonderful gentleman from the Valencia pilgrim association @JLWV is also assisting with updates from their group.
Buen camino, Grace

Thank you Pilgr and Grace. I am just starting the process of research ,planning and preparation........looks like I am going to need a new pair of boots ....is it just me or are Vibram soles getting thinner !
Have sorted out the flights and post Camino plans include getting back to Toledo, train to Valencia and then up to Tarragona before flying back to UK from Barcelona.
I will look at the recent threads you refer to,
Buen Camino,
Don.

€83,-
Thank you Pilgr and Grace. I am just starting the process of research ,planning and preparation........looks like I am going to need a new pair of boots ....is it just me or are Vibram soles getting thinner !
Have sorted out the flights and post Camino plans include getting back to Toledo, train to Valencia and then up to Tarragona before flying back to UK from Barcelona.
I will look at the recent threads you refer to,
Buen Camino,

Many of us have libraries of good notes we would be too willing to share (except me because I have no notes). So don't be afraid to put out a request for anyone's associated notes. People are VERY generous here!

Finally it seems i can leave for my Camino del Levante!
Flight to Valencia booked for may, 2; i'm going to stay there for a day in order to visit the Museo Oceanografico (i already know the rest of the town) and on may, 4, early in the morning, i'll start my first stage to Algemesì.
I'm already in the right mood for this (supposingly lonely) Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@moromauro that is fantastic news!. I’ll follow your footsteps soon so any helpful hints on ‘tricky’ spots will be much appreciated. Buen Camino

Hi, Grace!
Of course i'm going to exploit all the advices & hints Pilgr and Sheffield James told us lately: i've noted them all down in my self-made guidebook, after collecting all useful informations i found on the web.

Maybe i won't keep a live thread like Pilgr and Sheffield James did but i'm going to write my posts in this section of the forum whenever i can find something new to me and that can be useful for all the pilgrims/hikers walking the Camino del Levante in the following period!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back