Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alone on Camino Primitivo September 2016

Kristyna Storkova

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Primitivo 9/2016
Hello pilgrims, I am planning on walking the Camino Primitivo the first two weeks in September, I am gonna be on my own. I am a 26 years old female. My questions are: where can I get some detailed maps of Primitivo? Is the way well labelled? Can I make it in two weeks? Is it better to fly from Barcelona to Oviedo or take a train? And last of all, it is not nescessary to take a tent with me? Thank you guys, to be honest, I am little nervous if I won´t get lost and stuff, but I really wanna achieve this on my own, thank you for your support fellow pilgrims :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello pilgrims, I am planning on walking the Camino Primitivo the first two weeks in September, I am gonna be on my own. I am a 26 years old female. My questions are: where can I get some detailed maps of Primitivo? Is the way well labelled? Can I make it in two weeks? Is it better to fly from Barcelona to Oviedo or take a train? And last of all, it is not nescessary to take a tent with me? Thank you guys, to be honest, I am little nervous if I won´t get lost and stuff, but I really wanna achieve this on my own, thank you for your support fellow pilgrims :)
Hi, Kristyna,

I haven't walked Primitivo yet but I know that much about it to advise you go without a tent. Huge amount of info in Camino Primitivo section of this forum and also (albergues, distances etc.) here:
http://www.gronze.com/camino-primitivo
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/
http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/54/camino-primitivo/

Don't be nervous about being alone because once you'll get to Oviedo and start the Camino you won't be alone anymore ;)

Buen Camino!

I did the Primitivo in May and found it very well signposted. I always think I'm going to need detailed maps, GPS and a compass but in reality the yellow arrows and scallop shells point you to Santiago without a problem. I copied pages out of the Cicerone guide and that was more than enough. There is also no need to bring a tent but I would suggest booking ahead as some of the stages have limited accommodation. Some of the stages are demanding and the lighter your pack the better.

And you only have to be alone if you choose to - whilst this route is nothing like the Frances for numbers of pilgrims, you will be able to find companions.

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi Kristyna, Welcome to the forum.

You will find a lot of fans of the Primitivo on this forum, it is getting to be a very popular camino. It is extremely well marked, I don't think you even need a guidebook for that purpose. You might want to have one in order to know about stages and places to eat and sleep, as well as cultural attractions. Check out Liz's Primitivo resource, it has been used by many here. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/

There are a couple of trains a day from Barcelona to Oviedo, but they are essentially all day affairs. Flights are 1.5 hours, much better, :), but maybe much more expensive. The airport for Oviedo (called Asturias airport) is actually about a 45 minute bus ride from the city, as it is located more or less equal distances from Gijon, Oviedo, and Avilés.

I'm not so sure I agree about the need to book ahead, especially in September. You won't find the rush some reported last summer since that's essentially limited to late July and August, and a lot of new places have opened up as well. It's much more fun to go with the flow and decide on where to stay depending on how you're feeling and where your camino pals want to go. Two weeks is plenty of time, you will love it! Buen camino, Laurie

There are a number of guide books about the Primitivo you could purchase. One in English is published by Cicerone, I had one by Editorial Buen Camino in Spanish.

Some people walk it in 13 days, I walked it in 18. This site may help you:
http://www.urcamino.com/planner/camino-primitivo

There is another one that I can't rember now that asks you if you are looking for an easy, medium or difficult walk and calculates stages accordingly.

Leave the tent at home but bring a sleeping bag, rain gear and walking poles.

This is a wonderful walk and you will enjoy it tremendoulsy.

OOoooo! Great stuff!
Kristyna ... let us know how you get on.
I plan/hope/intend to walk the Primtivo next April/May when the wild flowers are blooming in the Spanish Spring.
Blessings from England [from an old-timer!]

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, Kristyna,
I am going to walk the Primitivo too (my first Camino ever), starting on September 1 or 2. In June Vueling flight from Barcelona (where I live) was the cheapest option (about 50 euros). Train was more expensive and so (if I remember well) was the bus. While tickets' prices might have risen, I suggest you still check this option, as it's the quickest and most comfortable way to get to Oviedo from BCN.
Maybe we will meet along the way, in any case I wish you "Buen Camino"! :)

Is the way well labelled? Can I make it in two weeks? I am little nervous if I won´t get lost and stuff :)
Hi Kristyna,
Once you start the nerves will fall away . As this sounds like your very first Camino - To feel more settled about your morning start, -
- -the night before, check out where your first arrows will be next morning, if you have time follow and see where the next ones are to be comfortable about how easy it is.
-- talk to others that may be staying in your accommodation in Oviedo and ask to tag together if that would make you feel safer to start.
-- if you set out alone , you will be passed by other pilgrims on the way, or you will pass them - You often run into these faces again and this gives you the friendly faces that make you realise you aren't walking alone
-- keep smiling
-- if you come to an intersection etc where you are undecided as to the direction, remember not all 'arrows/shells/signs' are on posts. Look 'up' 'down ' ' to the left' 'to the right '. 'Further up the street a bit' 'a person or car could be standing in front of the sign'. 'On a tree' ' on a rock ' Just wait , breathe, look about - if there are other pilgrims in front , good indication but they can be wrong, so check for your signs too. When walking and chatting, keep an eye out for arrows, easy to go the wrong way when not concentrating but honestly, you will find it well marked.

Have a Buen Camino

There is a new hostel in Grado - Albergue de Peregrinos Villa de Grado at C.Maestra Bericia 1 in the centre of Grado, opposite a Parque San Antonio. It is exclusively for peregrinos. Donativo. Staffed by volunteers. No dinner but plenty of places to eat in Grado. Breakfast provided by hospitaleros. Sleeps 16 (from memory). 20 kms after Oviedo so suitable for an easy first day. It is in a newly renovated building. See Gronze.com/Asturias/grado/albergue-peregrinos-villa-grano

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My friend and I are walking from Oviedo starting on August 29 or 30. We may see you

Hi Kristyna. I will start from Oviedo on 1st September and intend to have a short day after viewing the churches on Naranco. I will aim for Escamplero for the first night then decide how far I walk the following days depending on weather and fitness. Good luck.

Hi Kristyna, my husband and I are leaving Oviedo on August 31, we are going to take about two weeks with a few rest and sight seeing days. I have looked at the following website for help as I have read that leaving Oviedo can be confusing. http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Camino-Santiago-Map-Camino-Primitivo-Google.htm I have looked at the route it shows on my computer and I am hoping that I an look at this on my phone if necessary. Ultreia. Pat

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I walked the Primitivo in May this year. Leaving Oviedo I was unsure of the way at one stage. While I was still fumbling to get out my map there was a tap on my shoulder and an elderly gentleman pointed out the way! No problem!

Hello pilgrıms I am going to start my second camino 28 or 29 august. I hope to meet with some of you :)
Well ı am not so nervous as i have been last year when i have started my first camino.
I know it will be good adventure :rolleyes:
Buen Camino!

There is a new hostel in Grado - Albergue de Peregrinos Villa de Grado at C.Maestra Bericia 1 in the centre of Grado, opposite a Parque San Antonio. It is exclusively for peregrinos. Donativo. Staffed by volunteers. No dinner but plenty of places to eat in Grado. Breakfast provided by hospitaleros. Sleeps 16 (from memory). 20 kms after Oviedo so suitable for an easy first day. It is in a newly renovated building. See Gronze.com/Asturias/grado/albergue-peregrinos-villa-grano

...and I will be working there from August 14th to 28th. . Too bad it will be too early to meet you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was planning on starting from Oviedo on the 26th August but instead I have decided to start from Leon and walk the Camino del Salvador first. I will be in Oviedo by the first week of September.

...and I will be working there from August 14th to 28th. . Too bad it will be too early to meet you!
...and I will be working there from September 1st! :) So I might see you there Kristyna! Will I still meet you there HeidiL?

HI KRISTINA!!
I DID it MAY 2015, we FLEW TO OVIEDO we GOT the CREDENTIAL STAMPED AT THE CATEDRAL, -we walked ,oviedo/aviles....THEN we TOOK A BUS TO MEIRA, IN MEIRA WE TOOK A TAXI TO OCADAVO( i still having his phone number if you need it, (20 euros,30 min to get there, at hostal "la moneda"...we started walking from there,if you need all the nfo ,send a message i will be more than happy to help you out !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked as a female alone with no problems. As said by others, clearly marked, use an online or paper guide just for info on what to see, where to stay. If possible give yourself extra time in Oviedo and Lugo, and see Santa Eulalia (IMHO).

Hi Kristyna, I'll be walking the Primitivo alone too starting 5th September, a little nervous about getting lost is my main concern but really looking forward to it! Can anyone advise on what I should be aiming for wight wise for my rucksack with the Primitivo being more challenging than other routes? I currently am at 7kg which feels ok however I'm going to test it out on a long walk this weekend. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many pilgrims arrive here with a lot more than 7 kg - and then they leave their litre bottles of shampoo (!!!), extra pairs of boots, hardcover books and other things they thought they might need on the Camino in the albergue in Grado.

Important stuff: Asturias is on the humid side, and mornings might be chilly. So far, afternoons have been extremely hot. Walking to the shops today, I wore a rain jacket on the way out, and a T-shirt and a sun-hat on the way back.

Lots of mountains, more albergues than hotels, so you'll want a sleeping bag and poles.

start. 1st october thinking lots of rain maybe.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back