• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with Portuguese Coastal Way

Chantal

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning May 2014
Hello all,

I'm planning on doing as much as possible along the Portuguese Coast line up to Santiago, but from what I'm reading it sounds like many options are there but none are all the way following the coast.... Can someone give me some guidance please on where to start in Porto and follow as much as possible the coast? And if you have done that route, your experience and advise would be much appreciated... Thanks a bunch Chantal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First, this is a great Camino; I walked it solo and loved it.
Take the Metro to Matasinhos Mercardo and walk over the bridge to the seafront.
It is pretty well signposted . Take care approaching and leaving Vigo - a great city, en route.
I don't like Albergues/ hostels, usually stayed in inexpensive two star places.
I can send you a spreadsheet of accommodation, I used- you have to use the Albergue in Redondela - beautiful, old building.
Send me your "e" mail, if you want it, to
jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk
Also, I have a Blog on this route, found on
" ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com"

Bom Camino

I agree with musician. You can also walk from Porto Cathedral and follow the River Douro until it reaches the coast or yes take the Metro, I suppose it depends on any time constraints etc. I always use Luis Freixo's maps of shoreline route see http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117. If you have a Smartphone you can download them in PDF format to"My Files" then open them offline. The trickiest part is after crossing Ramallosa bridge after Baiona. You can follow the yellow arrows all the way to Vigo and beyond but this goes inland abit. You can also turn left and follow the coast more closely into Vigo but it's not that well signed. But if you use Luis's maps you will be fine....

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is pretty well signposted . Take care approaching and leaving Vigo - a great city, en route.
I can send you a spreadsheet of accommodation, I used- you have to use the Albergue in Redondela - beautiful, old building.
jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk

Bom Camino
Hi musicman, can I email you also for spreadsheet? I am planning CP April from Lisbon
Thanks

Janice

Hi musicman, can I email you also for spreadsheet? I am planning CP April from Lisbon
Thanks

Janice
Us too please! We're walking from Lisbon starting on about 5th April. We expect/hope to get to Porto on about the 25th April. We're not planning to stay in Porto other than overnight as we've spent time they several times; wonderful city and we would recommend others to downs some time there and explore.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with musician. You can also walk from Porto Cathedral and follow the River Douro until it reaches the coast or yes take the Metro, I suppose it depends on any time constraints etc. I always use Luis Freixo's maps of shoreline route see http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117. If you have a Smartphone you can download them in PDF format to"My Files" then open them offline. The trickiest part is after crossing Ramallsoa bridge after Baiona. You can follow the yellow arrows all the way to Vigo and beyond but this goes inland abit. You can also turn left and follow the coast more closely into Vigo but it's not that well signed. But if you use Luis's maps you will be fine....
Thanks a bunch, very helpful! Cheers

Hello all,

I'm planning on doing as much as possible along the Portuguese Coast line up to Santiago, but from what I'm reading it sounds like many options are there but none are all the way following the coast.... Can someone give me some guidance please on where to start in Porto and follow as much as possible the coast? And if you have done that route, your experience and advise would be much appreciated... Thanks a bunch Chantal.
Hi Chantal, I recommend starting at the Cathedral in Porto, following the steps down to the river and walking to the coast and up to Matosinhos. I have step by step maps for the coastal route that I can email if you like

Hi Chantal, I recommend starting at the Cathedral in Porto, following the steps down to the river and walking to the coast and up to Matosinhos. I have step by step maps for the coastal route that I can email if you like

Hi BCRockies would you be able to send me the step by step maps you mentioned above. I am hoping to do the coastal route but am worried I might get lost. All help appreciated. Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am walking solo from Porto in May. Can I also ask for these itineraries and guides that you are referring to? Anything that will take away the doubts of which way to go!

We are starting from Porto on April 15 and would like the coastal maps as well, thanks Canmore Trekker

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Planning doing Portuguese route May 2017. May I also please have a copy

Hello BCRockies, if I could have the step by step maps of the coastal route, that would be fantastic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Folks,
Would you kindly forward a copy of your coastal maps as well ...thank you so much !

Hi...I would love a copy....Please and thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear BCRockies. I start my solo Camino from Porto in May this year and would appreciate the maps you mentioned in your post. Thank you in advance!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just walked 8 miles from Porto to Matosinhos along the coast. It is absolutely beautiful and I can't see why anyone would avoid it and get the metro!
I agree. It is one of the nicest day's walk on the entire Portuguese Camino! Jill

Just walked 8 miles from Porto to Matosinhos along the coast. It is absolutely beautiful and I can't see why anyone would avoid it and get the metro!
I agree with you but on the other hand for many the distance from Porto to Vila do Conde, about 30 kms ,is too long on one day and the Porto centro to Matosinhos too short .
Some ,like us, walk on beforehand before starting their caminho in Matosinhos by warming up and get used to being a pilgrim to Matosinhos and return back to their place to sleep and start next day their real caminho by taking the bus or metro to Matosinhos and walk the first 20 kms to Vila do Conde.
We even explored this track after returning back from Santiago and having some relaxing days in Porto before going back home.
We even discovered a nice bar where they played and sang fado music, took the ferry oposite the bar to Vila Nova da Gaia and tasted the portwines and enjoyed the perfect and happy feeling of being the tourist after the caminho.

Hello all,

Hi Chantal, I done the Porto route last June 2015. I traveled from Porto , taking a tram out as far as Matosnhos, a suburb of Porto, right next to the coast. I only traveled up as far as Villa do Conde then cut inland to Barcelos. I know there is a coastal route that brings you up as far as Valenca, on the border with Spain. After Villa do Conde, you travel along the coast to Viana do Castelo and from there to Valenca via Villa Nova de Cerveira. The John Brierley Camino Portugues book has a good map of the coastal route to Valenca, along with some info on the alternative coastal route. It's worth checking out, the one day I spent up to Villa do Conde was well worth the effort, it's a less traveled route, with a mixture of warm and often cold windy coastal weather, so bring the appropriate clothing! Patrick

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have a question regarding coastal route. I plan to walk central route from Lisbon, and would like to walk part of coastal when I reach Porto. Via Matoshinhos I will walk to Vial do Conde, then rejoin central Camino at Rates. I have the JB guide, but their is no mention of trail from Vila do Conde to Rates, although on the large cover map there is a trail. Can I assume that the way to Rates is waymarked, and will I be walking of busy roads?
I think JB guide (2016, 7th edition) is a little disappointing. There is the alternate coastal route, but it is very abbreviated, and only list's tourist offices and handful of accommodations along the way. No detailed town to town commentary as in the rest of book. No reference to Variante Espiritual .
Janice

I have a question regarding coastal route. I plan to walk central route from Lisbon, and would like to walk part of coastal when I reach Porto. Via Matoshinhos I will walk to Vial do Conde, then rejoin central Camino at Rates. I have the JB guide, but their is no mention of trail from Vila do Conde to Rates, although on the large cover map there is a trail. Can I assume that the way to Rates is waymarked, and will I be walking of busy roads?
I think JB guide (2016, 7th edition) is a little disappointing. There is the alternate coastal route, but it is very abbreviated, and only list's tourist offices and handful of accommodations along the way. No detailed town to town commentary as in the rest of book. No reference to Variante Espiritual .
Janice
Thats true, the tourist office in Vila do Conde are very helpful with this type of information, it's near the center of town. JB's book is more inspirational and can be a bit short on specific information. Good luck, Patrick

Janice
Janice. There is no problem. Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates is excellently waymarked.
As far as I am concerned in an earlier issue of Brierleys guide the coastal detour via Vila do Conde and Rates was on a separate page in his book. Anyway. We found the waymarkers even last year .
The road to Rates is fairly quiet and not especially busy.
Beware. From Rates to Barcelos you will meet some nasty parts among others in Pedra Furada. There are big signs to warn cardrivers that pilgrims a walking but be carefull. The Portuguese drivers have a style of driving on their own ! I should -if I were you wear a fluorescent safty jacket on busy roads. we allways do that.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Chantal, I done the Porto route last June 2015. I traveled from Porto , taking a tram out as far as Matosnhos, a suburb of Porto, right next to the coast. I only traveled up as far as Villa do Conde then cut inland to Barcelos. I know there is a coastal route that brings you up as far as Valenca, on the border with Spain. After Villa do Conde, you travel along the coast to Viana do Castelo and from there to Valenca via Villa Nova de Cerveira. The John Brierley Camino Portugues book has a good map of the coastal route to Valenca, along with some info on the alternative coastal route. It's worth checking out, the one day I spent up to Villa do Conde was well worth the effort, it's a less traveled route, with a mixture of warm and often cold windy coastal weather, so bring the appropriate clothing! Patrick
the original coastal route starts is Porto to Vila do Conde or Póvoa de Varzim, then to Esposende, Vila do Conde, Vila Praia de Âncora to Caminha.
In Caminha you cross the river Minho by ferry or fishermans boat to A Guarda in Spain.
From there to Santa Maria de Oia, Baiona and Vigo to Redondela where it connects to the centra Portuguese caminho.

jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk

Bom Camino

I'll be sending you an email also, mr.music man. Im not planning to go until mid may 2017 but planning is the best part of a journey, right?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know there is a coastal route that brings you up as far as Valenca, on the border with Spain.
Last year we walked the coastal route from Porto to Valença. The newish boardwalks and bike trails along the coast are a delight. Most people head inland after the first day, leaving the rest of us ample room on the coast. We stayed in small hotels for about 40 euros and ate some amazing meals. Highly recommended!

Heading back in September to walk the remaining distance form Valença to Santiago.

Hello all,

Hi Chantal! I met you on the Camino Frances in 2014 in Hontanas! I'm going to do the Camino Portugues Coastal Route in October. Have a fantastic time yourself!
Stacie

Need your E mails.

Hi, I am starting this route on 5 May and would appreciate the step by step map pages. My email is Berniebrrll@gmail.com Thanking you for your kindness in making our camino a little clearer. Bernie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Would love to have your maps for my April 28th start on the coastal route. Thanks in advance for your help with this adventure! sgbmom@hotmail.com

Janice
look at pages 122 & 123 of The Brierly guide for The info You are looking for. The guise says The route to Ratés via Beiriz ks no longer waymarked but easy to figure out.

jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk

Bom Camino
Hi Musicman

Please could you mail me the spreadsheet to darren34@gmail.com
I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Darren

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On behalf of @musicman I was asked by @peregrina2000 to post this info about Coastal route in attachment.
Hi KinkyOne,
Thank you
jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk

Bom Camino
Hi Musicman,
Thank you for sharing this route with all of us. I am inspired by your coastal route and planning to walk with 2 children(12 & 14) the 3rd week of June for 2 weeks to Santiago.
I am a bit hesitant to make choices btw central and coastal one. The complexity of our trip is I walk with kids the first week and my husband will join the second week either at Tui or Vigo. Personally, I want to choose the one which is a bit easier with decent accommodation for the first memory.
Any advise will be much appreciated. ^^

Hello Musicman.

I would like to browse these maps if possible.
I'm arriving in Porto on the 14th next saturday. So looking forward to walking the whole coastal route.
Richardghodgkinson@yahoo.co.uk
Did you stay anywhere nice in Porto, I do tend to use the albergue because money is always an issue with me.
Thank you for your time and be well.
Regards

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I hate to be one of the "me too" crowd, but PLEASE, ME TOO! If I can get a copy of maps, accommodations that would be a great jump start to planning our 2nd Camino. Last year the Ingles, and in June 2017, Portugues from O'Porto! Email: rlr9200@gmail.com

Thanks!

Hi - I am planning to do the coastal route from end of August, we were looking at leon to Santago too, but decided on the coastal route. Some people are saying end of August is really busy on the coastal route as towns are busy with tourists. I would appreciate if you can email me the step by step maps for coastal route - thx

Last year I walked the Coastal route from Oporto, this means different routes to people. The pilgrims we saw walking from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde turned inland and joined the traditional route. We continued along the coast and were happy we choose that option, our 2nd stop was Esposende, there are numerous small accomodations and albergues, next Viana do Castelo where we treated ourselves to the Pousada, Caminha was next at the mouth of the river. For the final Portuguese stretch we walked a "non-Camino" marked route on a brand new bike/walking path along the river to Valença. No matter what you do the Portuguese part of the Camino is wonderful! Enjoy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hello BCRockies, Would love to get the step by step from Cathedral in Porto following the coast... Would be much appreciated. Also, is the Cathedral where we register for the Camino? And meeting a friend in Porto, any good "Hostel" around the airport? or close by? Thanks for your info.... Cheers

Last year I walked the Coastal route from Oporto, this means different routes to people. The pilgrims we saw walking from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde turned inland and joined the traditional route. We continued along the coast and were happy we choose that option, our 2nd stop was Esposende, there are numerous small accomodations and albergues, next Viana do Castelo where we treated ourselves to the Pousada, Caminha was next at the mouth of the river. For the final Portuguese stretch we walked a "non-Camino" marked route on a brand new bike/walking path along the river to Valença. No matter what you do the Portuguese part of the Camino is wonderful! Enjoy

Thanks Diane,
Sounds wonderful and thanks for the tip about the bike/walking path! Looking forward to it. Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with musician. You can also walk from Porto Cathedral and follow the River Douro until it reaches the coast or yes take the Metro, I suppose it depends on any time constraints etc. I always use Luis Freixo's maps of shoreline route see http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117. If you have a Smartphone you can download them in PDF format to"My Files" then open them offline. The trickiest part is after crossing Ramallosa bridge after Baiona. You can follow the yellow arrows all the way to Vigo and beyond but this goes inland abit. You can also turn left and follow the coast more closely into Vigo but it's not that well signed. But if you use Luis's maps you will be fine....

I'm finding Luis Freixo's maps really hard to understand - I'm new to this and it's fantastic detail, but almost too much as I am getting lost trying to figure out what all the different colour coding means, and can't keep it all straight. Any advice on how to decipher?

If you can arrange your days to suit the market days in coastal villages Chantal you will collect some serious leather [ proper leather] bags.
The food is the other plus.......and thats where you stop for the day.
Enjoy, beautiful kind people who assist with minimum fuss.

Where can I find information on market days? That sounds like a great piece of the experience!

I'm finding Luis Freixo's maps really hard to understand - I'm new to this and it's fantastic detail, but almost too much as I am getting lost trying to figure out what all the different colour coding means, and can't keep it all straight. Any advice on how to decipher?
It is easy
Walk from Porto via Matosinhos, Vila do Conde/Póvoa de Varzím , Esposende, Viana do Castelo and Vila Praia de Ãncora to Caminha.
If you want the real caminho da Costa do'nt follow the N13 on the footpath to Valença do Minho but cross the river Minho at Caminha by ferry or if it does not sail by a fisherman's boat-ask for Pedro the fisherman-translated in Portugese Pedro o Pescador-
The coastal continues at the other side of the river and leads waymarked with yellow waymarkers to A Guarda, Oia/Mougas, Baiona, Nigrán and Vigo to Redondela where you will hit the central route to Santiago.
From Nigrán you can follow yellow waymarkers and green ones
The yellow ones lead you in the hills to Vigo. The green ones at the waterside. We followed the green ones. Very nice . Easy to do.

Yes please. Could I have copies of those maps please?

Hi I don't know what device your using ? I use my laptop and Samsung Galaxy and Luis's maps are easy to read etc. Maybe if it suits you to begin with to use a PC with a larger screen ? Red dashed route is the official route, solid red is an easier route for people with mobility impairments & dashed green is the shoreline route as it hugs the coast more than the official coastal route. Does that help you ? Regards.

could you email them to me please? :D jpowys @ wanadoo.fr

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are starting from Porto on April 15 and would like the coastal maps as well, thanks Canmore Trekker
Hi I am planning to do the Portuguese way in august 2018, my first Camino, woul greatly appriciate a copy of your maps and any advice you have for a newby..... I purchased the brierly map book but have been advised its not too good. Thank you in advance B

please mail the step maps to me. would you?? mengjunbeijing@gmail.com thanks a lote. want to do this route in August.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"BCRockies, post: 388271,
BCR. Could you post your email so we can contact you for your step by step guide to the CP ....we're going in September ands would love to benefit from your experience.

Hey BCRockies. I am hoping to do the coastal route but I am so bad with maps, I might get lost... Maybe you could send me the step by step maps you mentioned above? daiva.zakeviciute@gmail.com

Hey BCRockies. I am hoping to do the coastal route but I am so bad with maps, I might get lost... Maybe you could send me the step by step maps you mentioned above? daiva.zakeviciute@gmail.com

BC Rockies
If you do email your step by step maps to Daiva, would it be possible for you send it to me as well ? If so, my email address is < jgregg@vermontstudiocenter >
Thanks, Jon Gregg

Hi, Diane55, could you please tell more about the "non-Camino" route (bike/walking path) along the river to Valenca? Is it nice? I read a comment that the Valenca stretch is mostly along the big roads which I hate, so your suggestion raises hope. We will start the Coastal route from Porto on 30 August and haven't decided yet whether to take the Caminha-Valenca direction or to continue on the Vigo stretch.
Thanks, Ruta

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! Do you know where I can find an online map (even google maps) with a detailed coastal route so that I can work out the distance of my chosen hotels from the path? Thanks!

jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk

Bom Camino
Hi can you sens me the spreadsheet of accomodations, i am leaving next week - thx

Hello all,

Hello Chantal, did you do the coastal route? If so, how did it go and did you do it alone? Would love to hear how it went as I am starting from Porto on the 7th Sept and although I have walked the Francés the last 3 years alone, I am wondering if this route is okay for walking alone as well?

May I have that also?? I just changed my route with 2 weeks to go and am needing to get info fast! :)
I apologize. Here's my address. Mauveglass@hotmail.com

Last edited:
jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk

Bom Camino
Could I get a copy of your spreadsheet also? I'm starting the Camino from Porto mid March this year. My email is karenrimbert@gmail.com Thanks so much

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk

Bom Camino
Hello BCRockies, if I could have the step by step maps of the coastal route, that would be fantastic.
Could I also get a copy of your instructions to Matoshinhos and any other helpful info? I will be traveling alone as a woman in March 2017/ I do not want to get lost and have a terrible sense of direction. Thank you karenrimbert@gmail.com

Hello all,

Ditto...I'll be traveling alone March 2017 karenrimbert@gmail.com

On behalf of @musicman I was asked by @peregrina2000 to post this info about Coastal route in attachment.

Dear @musicman,
Sorry it took some time for me to come back in here to thank you.
I used your PORTUGESE COASTAL ROUTE 2013-1 as a guide for me to complete the walk.

I followed the route and also stayed in most of the accommodation you suggested. I completed the camino in less than 2 weeks.
When walking alone, ts easy to lose pace and slow down. The route helped me guide me to ensure i complete it as planned.

Just felt I should let you know that your schedule helped me finish this walk solo. Thank you so much.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk

Bom Camino
Hello musicman..... would you mind if I dropped you an email regarding the coastal camino. My wife and I would like to bike it and your experience would be invaluable. We are in the process of considering various options.
Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is exactly the route/stops I was looking for. Thank you so much to you both for posting. I am late to this thread. Most of you have probably completed this camino route by now. I'd appreciate feedback as a female travelling alone, wanting to stay by the coast as much as possible. Has the route got a bit busier? Will I meet other pilgrims? And is it easy to find my way? I've done Sarria to Santiago in 2016 but thats so well sign posted & has lots of facilities. I will have accommodation booked in advance. All advice appreciate.

This is exactly the route/stops I was looking for. Thank you so much to you both for posting. I am late to this thread. Most of you have probably completed this camino route by now. I'd appreciate feedback as a female travelling alone, wanting to stay by the coast as much as possible. Has the route got a bit busier? Will I meet other pilgrims? And is it easy to find my way? I've done Sarria to Santiago in 2016 but thats so well sign posted & has lots of facilities. I will have accommodation booked in advance. All advice appreciate.
Hi, Dee,

I didn't walk that Camino so can't be of much help here. But plenty of info in Portugues subforum. Also have no doubt that some forum members will help. I know @Albertinho walked it and there are few Portugues members that surely know a lot about Coastal.

Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there, I did the coastal Portuguese last Sept by myself and found it a great route. Quieter than the Frances for sure but still company along the way. People I spoke to suggested it is becoming more and more popular each year. I did Porto up the coast to Caminha and got the ferry over to A Guarda stayed in Oia, which is just lovely, and Baiona then Vigo inland to join the inland route at Redondela.
The advice I got from the forum last year as far as directions was " have the sea to your left and you will be on the right path" The signage is good so you will be fine. I just loved it and for me it was a great second Camino after the Frances, less busy and different!
Good luck!

Hi there, I did the coastal Portuguese last Sept by myself and found it a great route. Quieter than the Frances for sure but still company along the way. People I spoke to suggested it is becoming more and more popular each year. I did Porto up the coast to Caminha and got the ferry over to A Guarda stayed in Oia, which is just lovely, and Baiona then Vigo inland to join the inland route at Redondela.
The advice I got from the forum last year as far as directions was " have the sea to your left and you will be on the right path" The signage is good so you will be fine. I just loved it and for me it was a great second Camino after the Frances, less busy and different!
Good luck!
Thanks for that advice Laineylainey. Its great to hear. Im similar to you, having done some of Camino Frances last year. This year, time restrictions mean I will probably be only able to join in around Baiona (do 100+ km approx) I was thinking Baiona - Vigo - Redondela - Pontevedra - Ruas - Caldas de Reis - Padron - Teo - Santiago de C. That seems to be your route too? So just to clarify, the only coastal area I will get is Baiona, Vigo, then it goes inland? I know I will need to research this a bit more, I just needed to confirm this is the route I want first - although I think you've helped me decide! Thanks :)

Hi Dee_Ireland. From Vigo goes inland a bit and also gets a bit busier from Redondela as it joins one of the inland routes. I think I definitely took the wrong road leaving Vigo and I ended up waking an urban route most of the way to Redondela! There is still a bit of coast from Redondela to Pontevedra ( beach at Arcade) Your proposed route is the same as mine. Recommend John Brierley's book for the route from Redondela, if you want a good guide. You should have plenty of company on your route and I can honestly say I never once felt unsafe -apart from when walking along roads!! You mention that you will book accommodation, if you want to email me I will send you the names of the places I stayed. If you really want to and can spoil yourself for a night, in Caldas de Rei I recommend highly Torre de Rio - just heavenly!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Dee_Ireland. From Vigo goes inland a bit and also gets a bit busier from Redondela as it joins one of the inland routes. I think I definitely took the wrong road leaving Vigo and I ended up waking an urban route most of the way to Redondela! There is still a bit of coast from Redondela to Pontevedra ( beach at Arcade) Your proposed route is the same as mine. Recommend John Brierley's book for the route from Redondela, if you want a good guide. You should have plenty of company on your route and I can honestly say I never once felt unsafe -apart from when walking along roads!! You mention that you will book accommodation, if you want to email me I will send you the names of the places I stayed. If you really want to and can spoil yourself for a night, in Caldas de Rei I recommend highly Torre de Rio - just heavenly!
Hi laineylainey , I'd love that list of accommodation if you don't mind? deniseboland@yahoo.co.uk Im going to order the John Brierleys book tonight. I have temporarily booked some accommodation but yes I must have a look at Torre de Rio! Lovely to get little tips like this. Thanks again for your help

Hi BCRockies,
I hope to walk part of the coastal route and I would love to get your maps
Thank you,
bgcoffey2009@gmail.com

We flew by the seat of our pants but here is our trajectory for the coastal and the Espiritual Variante. In Brierleys 2015 book he says take the train from Porto to Matosinhos. As you can get from this there is no need, it's beautiful.
Porto - Matosinhos
to Vila do Conde
to Apulia
to Vila do Castelo (layover two nights)
to Ancora
to A Guarda
to Oia
to Baonia
to Vigo
to Redondela
to Pontevedra (layover two nights)
deviation from here onto Espiritual Variante
Pontevedra to Combarro
to Armenteria
to Vila Nova
to Padron
to Santiago
We had over two months in Europe so we didn't do a "balls" Camino. We took our time obviously. Hope this helps.

Could you please send your maps me too? It would help a lot) Likisa383@gmail.com
Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would love to have the step by step maps also if you can send me one rodeoh@yahoo.com

Just wanted to say that we already have a list of accomodation - and actually also a map of the route available for download :)

- the list is here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/
(you can download the excel-sheet and filter as you want to)

And regarding maps - here's some copy/paste from the "version and info"-part of our accomodation-list

Maps and routes
Walking route Porto-Redondela http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/portcosta.html
Interactive maps http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117
http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/MAPA-DEL-SITIO.pdf
Coastal route under "etapas" http://www.caminoporlacosta.es/etapas
From Porto to SdC by coast http://www.the-raft-of-corks.com/blog/camino-to-santiago-from-oporto-by-the-coast-maps-and-gps/
Our route on Viewranger http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NzAzMjE=
Our route on Wikiloc http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/spatialArtifacts.do?event=setCurrentSpatialArtifact&id=12251892
Download .gpx and .kml here https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp718wb1973rnrp/Camino Portugues - Monacal.ZIP?dl=0

bom caminho!
Christian

Just wanted to say that we already have a list of accomodation - and actually also a map of the route available for download :)

- the list is here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/
(you can download the excel-sheet and filter as you want to)

And regarding maps - here's some copy/paste from the "version and info"-part of our accomodation-list

Maps and routes
Walking route Porto-Redondela http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/portcosta.html
Interactive maps http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117
http://www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/MAPA-DEL-SITIO.pdf
Coastal route under "etapas" http://www.caminoporlacosta.es/etapas
From Porto to SdC by coast http://www.the-raft-of-corks.com/blog/camino-to-santiago-from-oporto-by-the-coast-maps-and-gps/
Our route on Viewranger http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NzAzMjE=
Our route on Wikiloc http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/spatialArtifacts.do?event=setCurrentSpatialArtifact&id=12251892
Download .gpx and .kml here https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp718wb1973rnrp/Camino Portugues - Monacal.ZIP?dl=0

bom caminho!
Christian
Wow Christian thank you!!!

Hi BCRockies, can I get a copy of the map you mentioned. Thanks!

Hello BC Rockies,
Please can you send me a copy of your maps/step by step route for the Portugese coastal route and the accomodation too... I think your the person to ask... the threads are a little confusing!
Thanks

Hi Ellie
Thank you so much! Really interesting read.... I couldn't find any step by step guide or maps or spreadsheets you mentioned in you post above for the Porto coastal route on the site you sent....? Perhaps I missed them?
Thanks
Jackie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Jackie Albert. The information is all there. The google map you see in the article, you can click on and move around to see the exact steps (route) I took. Play with the map by making it large, pinching open the route after Porto, to see it. The actual "step-by-step" will be in the articles for each day, from day one to day five, is all I have fininshed at the moment. The rest will come as I write them. It's a project!

If you are savvy, I also give you links to download my actual maps. They are gpx files that you can't see from your computer or device directly, so you would have to download them first, then upload them to your own google map that you create OR to the application Geotracker (or some other application that uses gpx files). I also give you the link to the Geotracker app I used, if you want to create your own map using this application. All this info is in the article.

The file to the accomodation, that I got here on the forums, is also in the article, under the heading "Accomodation File." You also have to click on the link I give and the file will download to your computer or device automatically!

Good luck!
Elle

Hi there it is a couple of years later, but I am planning to walk the coastal way in 2018 and would really love to have a copy of your step by step maps. Is that still possible?

Hi BCRockies would you be able to send me the step by step maps you mentioned above. I am hoping to do the coastal route but am worried I might get lost. All help appreciated. Thanks
Hello BT Rockies, heading to Porto next week for trek to Santiago along the Littoral route .... would appreciate if you could send on any maps, directions, etc Thanks, Paddy ....

Paddy's e-mail address has been removed for security please contact by PM.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi BC Rockies I would love a copy of your step by step maps too please. My email is [deleted by Moderator] Please do not publish personal information on this open forum. Please use the Personal Message (PM) function.

Thanks so much for any help.

Regards

Ellann

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back