• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Seville 21 September 2016

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
So I've booked my fight and I will arrive in Seville on the 20 September 2016. I'll stay the night and start walking on the 21st.

I've found a couple of books - Walking Guide to the VIA DE LA PLATA and the CAMINO SANABRES (CaminoGuide.net eBooks) by Gerald Kelly

and Tortoises on the Via de la Plata: Walking the Camino to Santiago

I've downloaded the resources that I've found on this forum and I'm working my way through as many blogs as I can find. I'm 95% sure my friend will be walking with me but if not, well I'm now committed to walking this route and fear or no fear ... I just have to teach myself that I can do this... and hopefully I'll meet a few other pilgrims as I walk.

I feel excited and terrified in equal measure but I also know in my heart that I've made a good choice!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too hope to be walking the VDLP from Seville around that time - plenty of research still to do, though...and, yes, a bit nervous...

It will be wonderful!

@Levi hopefully we'll bump into each other en route :)

My flight arrives mid-day on the 20th September and I think I'll book a room in one of the Hostels and start walking the next day. I honeymooned in Seville and me and my husband are planning another trip again soon so I'm not going to do much sightseeing... I'll save that for another day.

On the first day out I want to take my time so I may well book a room at Guillena and from there just follow my nose... and the arrows... and @SYates's advice about not going by the river and the dogs!

I'm hopeful that my friend does manage to come and walk with me, but if not I'm committed :D I feel so excited now that I've finally made the choice... I've wanted to walk this route for a couple of years... it really has been calling me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Currently thinking about heading to Seville mid September, a few days sightseeing and then walking. So hopefully will indeed meet you at some stage...

So I've booked my fight and I will arrive in Seville on the 20 September 2016. I'll stay the night and start walking on the 21st.

I've found a couple of books - Walking Guide to the VIA DE LA PLATA and the CAMINO SANABRES (CaminoGuide.net eBooks) by Gerald Kelly

I've downloaded the resources that I've found on this forum and I'm working my way through as many blogs as I can find. I'm 95% sure my friend will be walking with me but if not, well I'm now committed to walking this route and fear or no fear ... I just have to teach myself that I can do this... and hopefully I'll meet a few other pilgrims as I walk.

I feel excited and terrified in equal measure but I also know in my heart that I've made a good choice!

I am doing the Via de la Plata 9 days each year in May. When I retire, I am going to go back and do the whole thing again, from start to finish, on my own. Let me assure you, you will be absolutely fine. And it is a really nice journey. I go back in May to continue from La Cazada de Bejar. Even if you are alone, you will meet people, walking, cycling. You will never be too far from local people. So, don't let fear spoil the excitement. You will have no problems.
Dave

I am doing the Via de la Plata 9 days each year in May. When I retire, I am going to go back and do the whole thing again, from start to finish, on my own. Let me assure you, you will be absolutely fine. And it is a really nice journey. I go back in May to continue from La Cazada de Bejar. Even if you are alone, you will meet people, walking, cycling. You will never be too far from local people. So, don't let fear spoil the excitement. You will have no problems.
Dave

thank you so much for this... I've been telling myself all day I'll be fine... I have several months to train myself :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi LesBrass,
I will also be walking the VdlP in September. I will be walking with a friend from Canada. We plan to leave Seville on 14 Sept after a few days enjoying the sights. Perhaps we'll see you somewhere along the way. I am currently reading the Gerald Kelly guide and I also have the Alison Rahu guide from the Confraternity of St James.
Buen Camino!
Paul

@mistermac - yeah another September VdlP walker! I'll check out the Alison Rahu guide, I've not seen that yet. I'm currently reading every blog I can find... and I'm counting down the days!

Maybe if you're slow and have a rest day or two we may well bump into each other... but have a GREAT walk either way!

p.s. I died my hair bright bright copper yesterday so I'll be easy to find :rolleyes:

Hello LeBrass
I will be starting the VDLP from Seville about Sept. 17. looks like there is a growing number of pilgrims based on this thread departing in mid Sept. which is great. Hopefully we'll meet up somewhere along the route.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello all

I'll start walking from Sevilla either sunday 11th or monday 12th of september. I'm due back at the office the 3rd of november, so SdC should be reacheable...

Buren camino

Miguel de Flandes

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

My husband and I are starting out from Seville October 1st. We may meet along the way. Wishing you well.

Just booked tickets to Seville for my husband and I. We will be arriving on 22 September and plan to start the VDLP the following day. Very excited with my only concern that it may still be painfully hot. Perhaps we will see you along the way. Happy trails!

Leaving Seville on 16 September. Be nice to meet up with a few people in this thread!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just booked tickets to Seville for my husband and I. We will be arriving on 22 September and plan to start the VDLP the following day. Very excited with my only concern that it may still be painfully hot. Perhaps we will see you along the way. Happy trails!

well with only a day between us it's possible! I've bought an umbrella to take with me for shade as I'm concered a little about the heat... but it will be chillier as we get closer to Santiago and I bet there will be a few times when we wish for the warmth again :D

I start from Seville Sept. 20, and am nursing and rehabbing a torn meniscus. I plan to either walk or bus to Italica that day as I want to see the old Roman city on the north side of Seville. That night I will either bus back to the hostel in Seville (and return next day to Italica by bus) or stay in Italica area so I can start the actual walking to Guelena (sp) Sept 21. Got to have a short day the first day or two to see how my knee will make it.

I am 71, a woman, and walked the Camino Frances across the Pyrenees to Santiago three years ago. Walking alone is fun and safe. You pick up plenty of friends along the way. I had three "families" along the Frances. I am from Texas.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Ritescot

I hope we may meet along the way. I am recovering from a bout of inflammatory arthritis so will be taking it slowly. Also walking for the first few days with my friend - this is her first Camino experience ...

Buen Camino and hope to see you!

I start from Seville Sept. 20, and am nursing and rehabbing a torn meniscus. I plan to either walk or bus to Italica that day as I want to see the old Roman city on the north side of Seville. That night I will either bus back to the hostel in Seville (and return next day to Italica by bus) or stay in Italica area so I can start the actual walking to Guelena (sp) Sept 21. Got to have a short day the first day or two to see how my knee will make it.

I am 71, a woman, and walked the Camino Frances across the Pyrenees to Santiago three years ago. Walking alone is fun and safe. You pick up plenty of friends along the way. I had three "families" along the Frances. I am from Texas.

@ritescot - we're a group of three leaving Seville on the 21st and heading to Guillena (stopping off to visit Italica en route) We've booked a bed at the Hostel in Guillena so that we can take our time and not worry. So maybe we'll see you on the 21st?! We're a Brit, and Aussie and a Memphis girl... so I guess we'll be easy to spot :D

Hi Ritescot

I hope we may meet along the way. I am recovering from a bout of inflammatory arthritis so will be taking it slowly. Also walking for the first few days with my friend - this is her first Camino experience ...

Buen Camino and hope to see you!

I am staying at the Triana Backpackers Hostel in Seville for three nights before I start. Any chance you will also be there? It looks like a great place.

Do you have Kelly's new guidebook? I just discovered he has a new edition out in May 2016. I bought both the book to leave with my husband, and Kindle version for my iPad.

Hope to see you on the road. I probably will be the one with a knee brace.

Carole O.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@ritescot - we're a group of three leaving Seville on the 21st and heading to Guillena (stopping off to visit Italica en route) We've booked a bed at the Hostel in Guillena so that we can take our time and not worry. So maybe we'll see you on the 21st?! We're a Brit, and Aussie and a Memphis girl... so I guess we'll be easy to spot :D

Yes, you should be easy to spot. Well, we are bound to run into each other! I am going to book at a private hostel in Guillena, too. I figure I am going to need to split that "day from hell" after Guillena into two parts because of my knee. I will probably have a taxi take me back to Guillena the first night and then deliver me back to the half way point the next day. Wish that long day was later along the Camino so I would know how my knee is doing. I have done days that long on the Camino Frances, but not with a bad knee.

Will you by any chance be staying at Triana Backpackers Hostel in Seville?

Carole O.

I am staying at the Triana Backpackers Hostel in Seville for three nights before I start. Any chance you will also be there? It looks like a great place.

Do you have Kelly's new guidebook? I just discovered he has a new edition out in May 2016. I bought both the book to leave with my husband, and Kindle version for my iPad.

Hope to see you on the road. I probably will be the one with a knee brace.

Carole O.
Hello,
We will be arriving in Seville on 22 September and spending our first night at the Triana Backpackers Hostel. We too have purchased the new edition of Kelly's guidebook and will be using that to plan our route. Hope to meet you as we prepare to start our adventure.

Hi Ritescot

We are starting to walk from Seville on 18 September - so will be a couple of days ahead. But I will be taking rest/explore days so I'm sure we will meet along the way. I have the 2016 Kelly guide and also some info downloaded from this site.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Ritescot

We are starting to walk from Seville on 18 September - so will be a couple of days ahead. But I will be taking rest/explore days so I'm sure we will meet along the way. I have the 2016 Kelly guide and also some info downloaded from this site.

Hi, Levi,

You never know on the Camino. On the Frances in 2013, my German roommate in St. Jean took the northern route. I never saw her again, but ran into her at the Pilgrim office in Santiago.

Ritescot

I've wanted to walk the Via de la Plata for a few years... It always just spoke my language.

I thought it was a bit too hard for me though... Too far, too lonely, too many dogs/cows/goats :D

But then I decided I should just do it... And then another pilgrim said she would do it with me... And then another.

It seems like ages ago that we started to make plans and yet here I am... Bag ready and unable to sleep for the last night at home for a few weeks!

Hopefully... I'll see you in Santiago sometime around the 5 November ... Wish me luck... Or courage as they say here in France :)

Ps... Thanks for all your good advice!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello
I too have those Guides on my phone/Kindle.
I start from Seville on sat 22nd Oct. Anyone les starting around that time.
Good Luck to those in front of me.

I've wanted to walk the Via de la Plata for a few years... It always just spoke my language.

I thought it was a bit too hard for me though... Too far, too lonely, too many dogs/cows/goats :D

But then I decided I should just do it... And then another pilgrim said she would do it with me... And then another.

It seems like ages ago that we started to make plans and yet here I am... Bag ready and unable to sleep for the last night at home for a few weeks!

Hopefully... I'll see you in Santiago sometime around the 5 November ... Wish me luck... Or courage as they say here in France :)

All the best to you on your travels. I will be looking for you along the way!
Buen Camino.
Linda

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have a great trip. I hope the weather holds up for you - it was pretty soggy on many days back in April. All good fun, though.

Hi Les Brass

Started walking the vdlp on Sunday. It's still very warm so we start as early as we can in the morning. In El Real de la Jara today. Since leaving Seville we have met only five other pilgrims. Walking good but bring plenty of water and keep your eyes peeled for the arrows!
Hopefully see you along the way...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@LesBrass - I’ve just read your wonderful blog (great, another camino gem to distract me from ‘work’ ;);) ) I’ll be keeping up to date with your merry band (and Ted too it seems). I’m terribly jealous as the VdlP is still my favourite (but don’t tell anyone) Bless, Grace

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back