Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo Questions

scubajunky

HI All,
Well I have just booked my flight to arrive in Asturias at 11:50pm on the second of August and just discovered the airport is 1hr from Oviedo !!! Feels like a major schoolboy error.
Does anyone have any info on getting from the airport to Oviedo at such a time ?
My other big question is how many days should I allow for the Primitivo ? is 14 days enough ?
Any help much appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Scuba, me & the Beloved fell for that one too. I got roundly chastised along the lines of " you're the one that supposed to do the research...." We 'enjoyed' a ride in a taxi, the driver of which demonstrated that 1hr from the airport to Oviedo is a ludicrous over-estimate - he did it in 35 minutes and only charged €50 for the privilege of being driven by an F1 contender. The Hostal Oviedo were as welcoming as ever and poured the Beloved a particularly large Ciento Tres while I sorted the room & luggage.

If you are heading out on the Norte Aeropuerto "Oviedo" is a damn sight closer to Avilles. If, as it seems, you are heading for the Primitivo then Avilles is somewhere where you might get a bed for the night and take the FEVE to Oviedo in the morning.

I'm going to be doing the Primitivo, is Avilles Asturias ? I was thinking that would probably be the solution, stay there and then get up early to get the bus. Can I get a passport in Oviedo ? Also how many days should it take? is 14 about right I generally do about 20 - 26 km per day but I know this is in the mountains and will be hot so....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You're welcome. Asturias Airport is fairly close to Avilles and has plenty of accommodation. Bus or FEVE will get you to Oviedo in the morning - lovely city worth spending time in so consider spending your second night there. Credencial from the Cathedral, the Tourist Office or the Municipal Albergue. 14 Days? Do-able, yes, but you might have to hurry through some places worth lingering like El Castro and Lugo.

Buen camino amigo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Aviles accommodation, can anyone recommend any accommodation in Aviles ? I have had a look at booking.com and everything seems pretty expensive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, scubajunky, take a look at Gronze's list here: http://www.gronze.com/etapa/gijon/aviles Looks like there are a few places under 30 €

If you are going to go into Oviedo the next day, you could just spend the rest of the day in that beautiful city. LOTS to see and enjoy there. Sleep that night in the albergue and start out the next day, at least if you're not in a rush.

I've walked the Primitivo three times, once in 11 days via Pola de Allande, once in 12 days via Hospitales, and once in 13 days going via Pola de Allande, so I'd say you should be fine with 14 days.

You could get a taxi to nearby Salinas e.g. the Hotel Castillo de Lauzon, have a swim in the morning and then get the bus into Oviedo.

Thanks guys the problem with all these places is the check in closes at 9 or ten, I don't touch down until 11:25 !!!
Can't believe I have done this argghhhhh

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks guys the problem with all these places is the check in closes at 9 or ten, I don't touch down until 11:25 !!!
Can't believe I have done this argghhhhh

I know that pilgrims frequently sleep in the Santiago airport, I wonder if that's an option in the Asturias airport. I would bet not, but maybe someone knows the answer, like @Castilian.

I think that most of the cheap places are, as you saw, likely to close when their owners go to bed. Maybe the best thing to do is to wait and hope for a last minute deal on a hotel on booking (probably in Avilés since it's so much closer to the airport than Oviedo, so your cab fare would be lower). I got a great price that way on a hotel in Oviedo just a few weeks ago, and it was a weekend. Good luck with this, not a nice way to start, I know.

The Hotel 14 in Pravia might be a possibility and it is very near the FEVE station with half-hourly cercanias to Oviedo for next day. We found it on booking.com, and it is right on the roundabout coming into town. Not sure about their check in times, but it might be worth looking at.

El Pez Escorpion in Aviles, do a dorm for Euro 30 and airport pick up for ten Euros instead of twenty if anyone finds themselves in the same predicament. Thanks to everyone who helped.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back